PDA

View Full Version : LSU @ Texas A&M - 11am CST

Darth_Pelican
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Friends and I are making the trip for the game next weekend, and it was just announced that the game is 11 in the fucking morning :madrun

Anyways, this wil be my first time going to college station, so please tell me where we should go to get drinks, food, etc.

As far as the game goes, LSU has a terrible history in games played before noon, so I hope they don't come out flat.

Sisk
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm a bit lazy right now, but this site is very helpful:

http://www.visitaggieland.com/

I'm sure some other Ags will chime in and give more info. Northgate is where you'll do all of your drinking.

Sisk
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Also, the 11AM time is terrible. Kills tailgating.

shyne
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
what channel?

Darth_Pelican
10-14-2012, 04:17 PM
ESPN

BRHornet45
10-14-2012, 04:33 PM
fucking stupid. no one wants to watch top-25 teams play at 11am. let the scrubs play early.

son you'll have a good time regardless, but going to a morning game truly ruins the game day experience.

Thompson
10-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Chicken Oil is one of the well-known stops; personally though, I like some of the chains like Blue Baker (the 'Royal' sandwich is really good) and Potato Shack.

Pelicans78
10-14-2012, 09:06 PM
What a stupid decision to have this game at 11am. Man, brutal. I get Florida and South Caroline on CBS at 2:30, but who's getting the primetime game on ESPN?

DesignatedT
10-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Via 12thMan Factor Ag on the A&M Scout site:

I figure I'd offer up some travel advice for those coming to CS. If you're anything like our tailgate/travel group you're most likely making travel plans this week for next Football season. If any of you have any advice for your school, it would be much appreciated. Our group is traveling to Bama, Auburn and Ole Miss next year. As for CS, they are building 6 new hotels this offseason, so if you can't find one right away, keep checking....

Bryan/College Station twin cities is 215,000 and growing rapidly so there is a lot planned for the next couple of years. As for travel/game advice, here is a write up I did for the Idaho and Okie State radio folks this year. I'll outline Restaurants, Bars and the sights then breakdown how a typical game weekend goes for my crew.

Before I start, a few landmarks I should point out. Northgate is the largest Bar District in town. About 25-30 bars on University Avenue that backs up to Campus. About a mile walk from Kyle Field. Main Campus is where Kyle Field is. West Campus is across Wellborn Road which is home to the bulk of tailgaters on Gameday. Spence Park is the park right next to your visitors section and has thousands of tailgaters on gameday.

Restaurants/Local Eateries that I like:
Freebirds - Monster Burritos that you make yourself. On Northgate.
La Bodega - Great Baja tacos and tex-mex on Northgate.
Cafe Eccell - A little higher end, but wonderful food and award winning desserts on Northgate.
Kyoto Sushi -- Northgate
Atami Sushi -- University Drive
Antonio's Pizza - Boston Style Pizza on Northgate
Zapatos on Northgate -- Trash Can Nachos.... nuff said
Fuego -- 24 hour taco service -- drunk food, but wonderful, lots of tail running around here at 3 am.
Republic Steakhouse -- If you want an expensive dinner but really good steak, try here.
C & J's BBQ -- Texas BBQ
Rudy's BBQ -- See above
Koppe Bridge -- Best Burgers in town and the beer is ICE cold
Cafe Capri -- Higher end, but great
Christophers -- Higher end like Republic and an intimate atmosphere

Bars (most on Northgate):
Corner Bar -- 3 story bar with a rooftop bar on Northgate
Dixie Chicken -- Staple of Northgate that sells an *** ton of beer per square foot (Northgate)
Dry Bean Shot Saloon -- 250 shots on menu (Northgate) Schotzi's -- Live Music outside and inside on Northgate
Zapatos -- Live Music on the porch, good margaritas on Northgate
Barber Shots -- Shot bar next to Zapatos on Northgate
Daisy Dukes -- Dancing, young college girls in basically nothing on Northgate
OBannons -- Irish Pub with 100 beers available on Northgate
Paddock Lane -- Low key, good service on Northgate
Tipsy Turtle -- Daquiri Bar New Orleans Style on Northgate
Fitzwillys -- two story live music venue, cheap drinks on Northgate
Duddleys Draw -- Front and back porch with cheap drinks 315 Shot Bar -- Like Dry Bean on Northgate
Madhatters -- 80s bar with a back porch and tall beers on Northgate
Basil Whippets -- Apothecary Lounge (two story) on Northgate
Logans -- Sports bar with 44 oz. beers on Northgate V Bar -- more greek crowd, dancing
Gatsbys -- dancing, small (on Northgate)
Hookah Lounge -- hookah bar that serves booze on Northgate
Cedar Lane -- New bar with plenty of outdoor seating and an interesting "wake me up" drink that will make you forget 10 minutes ago.
Rebel Yell -- New draft house right next to Cedar Lane
Hurricane Harrys -- Country Dancing on Northgate
The Tap -- my favorite bar not on Northgate (Harvey Road)... cheap drinks, good food
Fox and Hound -- Tons of beers on tap on University Drive
Carneys -- On South College on Bryan/College Station Line
Downtown Bryan -- 4 or so bars in a revamped Downtown that has live Music most every night and good eating as well. About 20 minutes from campus.

Random Sights of College Station:
George Bush Sr. Library -- On West Campus
Messina Hof Winery -- You can also lodge here, but the view in the garden is fantastic and you can dine here as well.
Bonfire Memorial -- On Main Campus (pretty emotional memorial for those of us who were in school when the 12 students died in 1999).

Golf:
Traditions Country Club (Nicklaus designed Course....Home of Texas A&M Golf -- 2009 National Champions)
Miramont Country Club (Private, but can drive by it... Robert Trent Jones Course... Beautiful!)

There are some cheaper options like Bryan Muni, Bluebonnet in Navasota, Pebble Creek in College Station (Decent), Briarcrest in Bryan (decent)

Tailgating/Gameday: Our crew usually arrives around 7 am (lots open at 630 am) and we tailgate in Lot 100 on the Southeast side of Reed Arena. I've attached the parking map. I suggest Reed Arena or Spence Park. You won't be able to park at Reed, but across the street is the WCG (West Campus Parking Garage). You can drop your stuff off on the curb at Reed and set up in the grass with everyone else, but you'll have to park in the garage. It is $15. Don't park in the green cash lots way out on West Campus. Its a long walk or shuttle and its for the few folks who come in and out.

Reed Arena and West Campus - Largest concentration of tailgaters. West Campus. Party Buses, RVs, larger tailgate spreads, bands, etc. Home to most of the RV Lots (Lot 100, Penberthy, Olsen RV lot, Lot 88, Lot 74 are the RV lots on West Campus). Lot 50 is another RV Lot on Main Campus. Northgate is on University Drive across from campus lots 30a, 30c and Northgate Parking Garage... It spans about 4 blocks.

Spence Park - Large concentration of tailgaters on the East side of Kyle Field. Lots of fun, mostly a younger crowd. Cannot park here, must drop stuff off and park in garages or across the street.

Duncan Field - Where most alumni club tailgates of visiting fans are... also the same place that the Fraternities and Sororities tailgate. Band/Corps March-In - From the Corps Quad in through the East Side of Kyle Field by Spence Park. It starts 1.5 hours before gametime.

Darth_Pelican
10-14-2012, 10:02 PM
What a stupid decision to have this game at 11am. Man, brutal. I get Florida and South Caroline on CBS at 2:30, but who's getting the primetime game on ESPN?

BATON ROUGE -- LSU's Oct. 20 football game at Texas A&M will kickoff at 11 a.m. CT on ESPN, it was announced by the Southeastern Conference on Sunday morning.
CBS exercised its six-day option last weekend, and selected the South Carolina at Florida game for its 2:30 p.m. CT broadcast. ESPN also announced that Alabama at Tennessee would be at 6 p.m. CT.

SEC FOOTBALL SCHEDULE FOR OCT. 20
LSU at Texas A&M [ESPN] (11 a.m. CT)
Auburn at Vanderbilt [SEC Network] (11:21 a.m. CT)
South Carolina at Florida [CBS Sports] (2:30 p.m. CT)
Middle Tennessee at Mississippi State [ESPN2] (6 p.m. CT)
Alabama at Tennessee [ESPN] (6 p.m. CT)
Georgia at Kentucky [FSN] (6 p.m. CT)

Pelicans78
10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Geez, figured they would have Bama. Fuckers.

Thompson
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM

Conspiracy theory from http://outkickthecoverage.com/protecting-texas-game-screws-am-lsu-fans-on-11-am-kickoff.php

This guy (not an Aggie) thinks ESPN is just trying to protect the Texas-Baylor game they're showing in the later time slot. Why not show the match between two unranked teams at 11, while saving the top 10 @ top 20 ranked team (where LSU is only a 3-point favorite) in the later slot?

rjv
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Friends and I are making the trip for the game next weekend, and it was just announced that the game is 11 in the fucking morning :madrun

Anyways, this wil be my first time going to college station, so please tell me where we should go to get drinks, food, etc.

As far as the game goes, LSU has a terrible history in games played before noon, so I hope they don't come out flat.

check out the chicken just for a bit and then get out and head to the dry bean saloon for some shots and dudley's for a pitcher or two. try to grab a burger at the chicken oil company. the corn chowder and mesquite fired pizzas at cafe eccel are great. basically, hang out at northgate and follow the crowd.

DesignatedT
10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Cedar Lane, Corner bar and O'bannons are my favorite spots. All on northgate. O'bannons has 75+ beers on tap, Corner bar has a great open-air rooftop atmosphere and go have a wake me up shot at Cedar Lane. 11am game sucks but hope you have a good time regardless.

Chicken Oil and Koppe Bridge for some grub.

coyotes_geek
10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Kinda surprised to see the line on this one only at LSU -3.

DesignatedT
10-15-2012, 12:38 PM
We are pretty banged up also tbh. Swope with concussion last game, Evans limping off the field and Everett's shoulder. We are going to need all three of them to be healthy to win. Those are huge parts of our team.

rjv
10-15-2012, 01:07 PM
yeah, and not sure on the status of everett as well. we have no depth on defense at all and our offense is not going to put up 50 on the likes of LSU's defense. tigers should cover spread and then some. they will probably pull away in the 4th and win by 10 or more.

DesignatedT
10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
If we can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and put them in obvious passing situations to cause some turnovers then this could be interesting. Mettenberger is not impressive at all to me. We will have to play a near perfect game when it comes to turnovers, special teams etc though.Much like we did against Florida and then hopefully get lucky down the stretch.

Darth_Pelican
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the advice all. We've heard good things about Dixie Chicken so I think we're going to go there. Other than that we will just play it by ear.

Blake
10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Sons LSU 42
Sons Aggy 13

coyotes_geek
10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I fall just short of being able to make the homer pick. LSU's crappy offense should still be good enough against A&M's crappy defense to control the clock and keep JFF off the field and out of rhythm. LSU 28-20. Would gladly eat crow if wrong though...

Bill_Brasky
10-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Putting Texas/Baylor in the primetime slot instead of this is a fucking joke.

DesignatedT
10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I'll take LSU by a TD. LSU is going to try and ground and pound that ball and A&M knows it. Question is can we stop it? Not worried about their passing game, even if our secondary is suspect.

symple19
10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll be watching this and flipping back to watch those scrappy commodores annihilate Auburn

Early games blow

leemajors
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
i'm assuming Logan's is the same asshole factory/hellmouth it is in austin

DesignatedT
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Not as bad tbh but yeah you get the point. About half the size as the one on 6th though,

Sisk
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Sons LSU 42
Sons Aggy 13

Sig bet that IF LSU wins, it'll be by less than that. Deal?

Blake
10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Sig bet that IF LSU wins, it'll be by less than that. Deal?

Sons I wouldn't bet a glass of water on this game.

Sons Aggy thinks I was born yesterday in a college station hospital

Sisk
10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Sons I wouldn't bet a glass of water on this game.

Sons Aggy thinks I was born yesterday in a college station hospital

A prediction like that screams confidence but you wouldn't put a glass of water on it? Doesn't make sense

Blake
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Sons lol aggy

Edward
10-18-2012, 05:24 PM
A prediction like that screams confidence but you wouldn't put a glass of water on it? Doesn't make sense

Does this make sense?

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/ericg320/Aggie/aggkiisclearfin2-5.png

Blake
10-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Sons that chick in the bottom left is screaming confidence

Sisk
10-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Sons that chick in the bottom left is screaming confidence

And is not an Aggie.

Bill_Brasky
10-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Sons ESPN robbed aggy/lsu by putting texas/baylor(fuckin snoozefest) into the primetime slot and making this the 11 game......wonder why they would do that.....

TFloss32
10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Talk about a huge game with Texas reeling right now.

ace3g
10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
missed XP...

now time for true test, Ags defense

TFloss32
10-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Ags get up by two scores and that's encouraging. LSU's offense hasn't shown enough consistency to overcome being down by a decent margin.

Spurminator
10-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Aggy's getting the SEC Noobie treatment on some of these calls today. That First LSU touchdown drive was heavily assisted.

symple19
10-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Good ballgame so far. Doesn't look like Aggy is going to go away.

DMX7
10-20-2012, 12:54 PM
fucking stupid. no one wants to watch top-25 teams play at 11am. let the scrubs play early.

son you'll have a good time regardless, but going to a morning game truly ruins the game day experience.

11am and on cable.

and Texas v. Baylor is on ABC Primetime.

Clipper Nation
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
:lol Aggie

benefactor
10-20-2012, 02:09 PM
LSU starting to overwhelm Aggie with the run game.

ace3g
10-20-2012, 02:16 PM
that will help

benefactor
10-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Big special teams play. The needed that badly.

benefactor
10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Wow...that was almost a huge fail.

benefactor
10-20-2012, 02:20 PM
:lol Aggie. So much for that.

ace3g
10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
so that is pass interference, but earlier in the game when LSU defender did the same thing on long pass by A&M, nothing...

benefactor
10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Another dumb play. Why the hell is he grabbing the receiver and not making a play on the ball? That was Kareem Jacksonesque.

shyne
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Mettenberger might be the worst quarterback I have ever seen and that includes Garrett Gilbert, Kiel Frazier, and Case McCoy.

leemajors
10-20-2012, 02:37 PM
ouch

TFloss32
10-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Johnny Football being human is an issue.

shyne
10-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I wanted to see how manziel would do against a real defense, I've seen enough. Tough kid and fun to watch just not sure his shit will work against elite d

Blake
10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Sons lolaggy sons

TFloss32
10-20-2012, 03:09 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/vangyjo/newest/bssumlin.gif

DMX7
10-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Did you expect anything different?

DesignatedT
10-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Good game sons. Field goal kicker away.

lol sec doormat.

lol Texas vs Baylor.

DMX7
10-20-2012, 09:09 PM
lol moral victory national champions.

DesignatedT
10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
No moral victories here. We lost to a team that not many teams can beat.

If we can still win 8 games this season it would be a great success for year #1. If we somehow get 9 then that would be an amazing feat.

Pelicans78
10-21-2012, 08:16 AM
No shame for the Aggies. They're a good team. Also have a good future.

Fpoonsie
10-21-2012, 11:37 AM
LSU's defense is incredible. Was proud a' A&M for hangin' in. Better than I expected.

But as cg pointed out, there's no WAY you can turn the ball over like you did in the Ol Miss game and expect to win against a superior team like THAT. Even w/ the last TD to cut it to 5, you still had the sense that the players completely lacked confidence for a final drive. LSU's D too stifling.

DesignatedT
10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Game could have still gone either way if we made our kicks and that's astonishing seeing how many times we turned it over.

Darth_Pelican
10-21-2012, 05:38 PM
We had a great time. The campus was nice and the game atmosphere was up to SEC standards. I was a bit unimpressed by the overall tailgating, but I'm sure much of that had to do with the early kickoff time. We went to the northgate area after the game and all of the bars were packed with people looking for lunch and drinks. We went to Dixie Chicken and gave up on food there after about an hour of waiting. As far as the game goes, as expected LSU came out sluggish and A&M and the crowd was pumped up. We stood up the whole game. Too many freshman mistakes by the A&M QB, and the fact that A&M couldn't capitalize on the kick return down to the 16 was huge. Super conservative playcalling by Miles, running on 3rd and long & 3rd and goal. If he does that shit against Bama, we will get destroyed. Oh, and another cool thing was that they let people go on the field after the game. Thousands of kids went down there and were throwing the ball, kicking fg's, etc. We decided to go down there and take pictures. I'm not sure if they always do that or if it was a one time thing.

DesignatedT
10-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Where did you guys tailgate Darth? The lackadaisical tailgating was 100% due to the early kickoff time. Although, where I was I actually thought it was a pretty good turnout for being that early. The crowd noise was decent for being an early kick-off.

You guys started to open up the playbook a little in the 2nd half and if you guys had a QB that was halfway decent you would have beat us a lot easier then y'all did. Mettenberger missed a lot of throws against our weak secondary. Glad you had a good time and hope you come back in a couple years.

They always open up the field. Many people enjoy that.

Darth_Pelican
10-21-2012, 06:10 PM
We tailgated in the field to the left of the street where the Cadets marched. And yes, it was frustrating as hell watching Mett miss 4 wide open wr's for td's.

DesignatedT
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Spence Park is where I think you guys were. It is usually a good spot for tailgating because of all the trees/shade and all that but they obviously don't allow cars/generators and anything like that. Our tailgating is pretty spread out around campus and different areas but the area around Reed Arena (across Wellborn rd on west side of stadium) is where the collective amount of serious tailgaters our these days. This is where you guys should have tried to be.

coyotes_geek
11-18-2012, 12:20 AM
At the time, this loss was just a "sucks, but we fought the good fight" game to me.

Now it's starting to sting a little..............

DesignatedT
11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Wish we had that La Tech game before Florida as well.

coyotes_geek
11-18-2012, 12:22 AM
That too.

Sisk
11-18-2012, 12:23 AM
And a kicker that didn't suck dick.

coyotes_geek
11-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah. I know Bertolet had that foot problem, but he's about run out of slack..........