PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Rockets - Oct. 14, 2012

timvp
10-14-2012, 11:29 PM
The Spurs improved to 3-1 in exhibition play by defeating the Rockets by a final score of 116-107. The starters built an early lead by setting a defensive tone. While the lead (and the defensive tone, for that matter) eventually evaporated, the bench unit scored enough in the second half to capture the victory.

Tim Duncan
Although his numbers weren’t sexy, Tim Duncan continues to show great mobility. His running of the court was particularly impressive, as was the agility and timing he illustrated when protecting the rim on defense. On offense, Duncan relied mostly on jumpers against the Rockets -- with subpar results. But all in all, Duncan being in fantastic shape bodes well for the beginning of the season.

Manu Ginobili
After missing the last two preseason games with a sore foot, Manu Ginobili was back in action. He had a few strong drives to the hoop, so I’ll assume his foot is feeling fine. Ginobili had a couple of great passes early on but his court vision blurred the longer he was on the court -- probably due to exhaustion. Defensively, he wasn’t very good but overall I’m happy about his conditioning level and the fact that he appears to be in a really good rhythm for this point of the season.

Tony Parker
Tony Parker’s play is trending the wrong direction. He was very strong to begin the preseason but has progressively worsened since then. Versus Houston, Parker’s defense was his best attribute. On offense, he did little right. It doesn’t look like he’s getting his normal lift, which is resulting in most of his shots falling short. Parker also wasn’t creating much off the dribble or on the break. Let’s hope it's simply a case of preseason doldrums.

Danny Green
Finally. For the first time since the Clippers series, Danny Green played like the Danny Green that erupted onto the scene last season. He was releasing his jumper with confidence whenever he got a chance. I also thought his form looked better -- he used more legs and held his follow-through longer. All it took was for a few of his shots to find the bottom of the net and Green’s vivacity returned to its previous level. Defensively, he was a lot more active and he wasn’t simply spotting up on the offensive end. While it’s a bit concerning that Green allows his overall play to be influenced by whether he’s making shots, it was at least reassuring to see this version return.

Boris Diaw
This was Boris Diaw’s best game this preseason. The trimmer Frenchman looked especially quick and used the added dexterity to his advantage. He was extremely fast to loose balls and cut to the hoop -- with and without the ball -- to create shots for himself and others. Diaw also passed the ball very well on the interior, which led to his team-high tying five assists. Defensively, he was active on the perimeter and held his ground in the paint. The one thing we haven’t seen out of Diaw this preseason is his outside shot. Since it’ll be important for him to stretch the court, let’s hope he rediscovers his stroke at some point before the beginning of the 2012-13 campaign.

Wesley Witherspoon
Wow. Talk about making the best of an opportunity. The coaching staff sat Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson, which catapulted Wesley Witherspoon into the starting five. The undrafted rookie out of Memphis looked very sharp and once again passed the eye-test. He’s a long 6-foot-9 small forward with well above average athleticism and agility. On defense, his length and quickness allowed him to disrupt jump-shooters and obfuscate passing lanes. Even though he has a reputation of being a soft player, I really liked how hard he hit the defensive glass. Offensively, he spaced the court well and got a number of clean looks with his extremely high release. In transition, while he’s not a smooth ballhandler, he’s capable enough to push the pace on his own and get to the rim. Though Witherspoon remains a longshot to make the squad, he gave the Spurs front office something to think about.

Gary Neal
For the third straight preseason game, Gary Neal saw his minutes at shooting guard. And, like always, Neal wasn’t afraid to make sure the "shoot" in shooting guard was emphasized. But against the Rockets, he went a little overboard. I know he feels pressure to produce so that he can win a spot in the everyday rotation -- but it got unsightly at times watching him hoist contested jumper after contested jumper. Defensively, he was also worse than usual. His closeouts on three-point shooters were poor and he wasn’t fighting to get around screens in a timely manner. Neal is a talented player but he’s trying to do too much right now and it’s unlikely that he’s winning any points with the coaching staff. It’d serve him better if he went back to the basics of playing all out on defense while allowing the offense to naturally create open looks for him.

Eddy Curry
It’s getting more and more difficult to advocate not keeping Eddy Curry. Sunday afternoon was the best he’s looked in silver and black. Offensively, he was just a beast in the low block. When he wasn’t scoring with power moves, he was showing off a finesse touch on his hook shots or finding the open man. His passing, which has always been maligned, continues to be a bright spot. It should also be noted that his 5-for-5 shooting from the field with no turnovers performance came largely against Omer Asik, who is regarded as one of the very best defensive centers in the NBA. Defensively, he was active -- relatively speaking, at least. He remained mentally engaged and repeatedly offered quality help by using his bulk to close off the lane. Curry is always going to have his rough edges but it’s obvious he’s giving it his all to make this team.

Nando de Colo
Nando de Colo is going to be a highlight reel producer’s best friend this season. He had a handful of passes against the Rockets that forced me to rewind the tape and physically pick my jaw up off the ground. De Colo’s great passes are a result of equal parts vision, timing and courage. I also thought his ballhandling looked better today and his defense was adequate. Hitting all three of his shots and finishing sans turnover is the type of efficiency that could ultimately win De Colo the backup point guard job. As it stands, he’s giving the coaching staff plenty of reasons to consider using him as part of the regular rotation.

Cory Joseph
While De Colo was made for the highlight reel, Cory Joseph is pleading his case by playing tough, hardnosed basketball. Defensively, he’s really starting to live up to his potential. The Rockets point guards, especially Jeremy Lin, had a very difficult time dealing with Joseph’s pressure. His off-the-ball defense also remains a strength. On offense, Joseph did a much better job of attacking and not solely relying on the motion offense. In isolations, he drove to the basket and finished with power -- and that’s something we didn’t see at all last season. His outside jumper looks great and he too finished without a turnover. It’s safe to say the Spurs have never had this much depth at point guard. On just about every other team in the league, Joseph would be a shoo-in for a backup role.

DeJuan Blair
Though DeJuan Blair’s stats look great, the numbers were mostly compiled off of broken plays or in garbage minutes. He actually didn’t play very well today -- especially on the defensive end. While he sacrificed his body on a number of occasions, his sacrifices were often ill-timed with poor implementation. Offensively, Blair scored in the paint well but what stood out once again was his outside jumper -- both in live action and when he was at the line. It just looks fantastic. He still doesn’t get much elevation but the rest of his form is much, much improved. I’m hopeful that Blair actually does have a jumper out to about 18 feet because it would really aid his outlook as a prospect.

Derrick Brown
Welp, this was the end of the line for Derrick Brown. It would have been difficult for him to play any worse. In the halfcourt, he wouldn’t stick out more if he were wearing a pink jersey and a sombrero. He’s just totally worthless in that setting and I don’t see any hope that he can fix his shortcomings. Not only can he not shoot, dribble or pass, his instincts are horrible and he has no clue about spacing. Defensively, he’s truthfully not much better. His rotations have a molasses-like quality. Of the training camp invitees, he was probably the favorite. But right now, I’d be surprised if he’s still on the roster by the time the next preseason game tips off.

Tiago Splitter
Tiago Splitter was far from great but this was a step in the right direction. I didn’t like his interior defense or his overall physicality (or lack thereof) but he was better than we’ve seen previously in preseason. He did good work on the boards and had a praiseworthy move on the low post. For the second consecutive outing, Pop paired Splitter with Duncan. While the results weren’t stupendous, let us pray to the basketball gods above that Pop is looking to play that duo together more often than he did last season.

Matt Bonner
Matt Bonner emerged from his two-game hiatus in underwhelming fashion. The copper capped sharpshooter passed up about a half dozen open shots, which will surely draw Pop’s ire in tomorrow’s film session. Bonner also didn’t do very well on defense and just looked extremely rusty, no pun intended. Should we take anything from Bonner getting two DNP-CDs followed by a third game that saw him play fewer minutes than anyone else? Probably not, to be honest.

Pop
I thought it was interesting that Pop kept Neal at shooting guard even though both Ginobili and Green played. Does that mean De Colo and Joseph have moved past Neal on the depth chart at point guard? It’s possible but far from a certainty. Starting Witherspoon ended up being a great move. I don’t know if he’s someone the Spurs would actually keep on their 15-man roster but they now know he’s a prospect who they should follow closely. It was difficult to make much sense of the bigman rotation (what was with all the odd combinations and why didn’t Josh Powell play?) but I liked that he gave Curry a longer than usual look.

ElNono
10-14-2012, 11:38 PM
thanks!

racm
10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Joseph turns into a lighter version of George Hill.

dylankerouac
10-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Interesting predicament for the front office. With Parker, Mills, de Colo and Joseph what do you think they will do at this four deep position? I imagine Mills with his great Olympic outing really increased his trade value - though there may be a date that must be reached before trading him.

If they do trade him, coupling Mills with possibly Blair and Neal becomes an option. Personally I like Mills but setting up other players for easy baskets is not his strength, this can only help in the playoffs. His replacement can't be any worse than last year when we had no depth at the one. If traded de Colo is an interesting option when the Spurs need some play-making and the big three are out. Joseph can provide nice defense and possible offense but is it too soon for him in the big pressure filled stage? At the same time, if Joseph is the future his presence this season will likely help him greatly.

Also, between Witherspoon, Curry and Brown there is space for two of those guys right? From previous posts it sounds like most people are thinking the Spurs will keep a spot open for an unknown later in the season. How likely do you think Witherspoon goes to the Toros? Three deep at the three doesn't sound that great with Kawhi and Jax already there. There is potential for Jax to be traded but I am sure we all have doubts about Pop trusting a rookie in the playoffs; actually, I agree with that unless Kawhi is playing 40 minutes a night.

Crossing my fingers and hoping we keep Curry.

Thanks for the write-up and analysis.

spurs10
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Thank you!

FuzzyLumpkins
10-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if Joseph turns into a lighter version of George Hill.

Joseph seems to have a better concept for the team game than Hill did. Not that Hill was selfish mind you.

As an aside, Curry seems like a natural in the post. It's interesting to watch. He doesn't have to 'fight' for position like you see some guys. At lest against Htown he just walked to his spot, leaned on the guy, and put his hand out for the ball. After he scored like it was nothing against Asik I started getting pissed at Neal --again-- for not finding a way to get it to him in the post. When Neal would instead chuck up another contested three he would really piss me off. Neal is frustrating at times.

Curry at one point got the ball down on the right block and held it. A couple of guards came up trying to get the ball and dribble around the perimeter some more and he wasn't having any of it. He waitied for someone to make a cut, Blair, and then made a nice pass that got a layup. I decided after that play i like Curry.

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2012, 02:37 AM
I started getting pissed at Neal --again-- for not finding a way to get it to him in the post. When Neal would instead chuck up another contested three he would really piss me off. Neal is frustrating at times.

him and blair usually does this out of the flow of the game when someone has a hot hand, the ball movement just stops going to the hot hand, but wankers on the team chuckn up shots for no apparent reason.....i wish neal returned to his SG role and that was a spot up shooter only, now with PG duties he seems to pull the trigger everytime he feels like it....there are better scoring options on the team available if needed

Fireball
10-15-2012, 02:50 AM
We need more DeColo+Joseph and less Neal (-4) ... pciking someone for the 15th spot seems extremely difficult ... Curry has a case and Witherspoon played great last night. About Curry though - he is good on offense, but without TD on the floor our interior defense is not existing. Nor Curry or Splitter do anything in that regard ...

racm
10-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Curry's an intriguing addition because the Spurs weren't all that good on post-up plays last season, ranking in the bottom third in the league. So a post scoring threat like Curry could see some minutes with the second unit, which needs to be a net neutral on defense because the starting five will be amazing defensively all because of Tim Duncan.

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2012, 02:59 AM
We need more DeColo+Joseph and less Neal (-4) ... pciking someone for the 15th spot seems extremely difficult ... Curry has a case and Witherspoon played great last night. About Curry though - he is good on offense, but without TD on the floor our interior defense is not existing. Nor Curry or Splitter do anything in that regard ...

i think u either pair curry up with a guy who can play a decent level of defense and rely on the wings for help defense....diaw/kl/jax....u have to remember rasho also played with avg defense and he got away with it, i dont think curry will have a problem tryin to play avg defense

racm
10-15-2012, 03:04 AM
i think u either pair curry up with a guy who can play a decent level of defense and rely on the wings for help defense....diaw/kl/jax....u have to remember rasho also played with avg defense and he got away with it, i dont think curry will have a problem tryin to play avg defense

Exactly. Team defense should be a thing he should work on (i.e., not get lost on too many rotations and spend floor time with guys not named Blair or Bonner)

Fireball
10-15-2012, 03:05 AM
I am all in for Curry as there are no better options in the middle right now ... we just have to live with TD being our only interior defender.

FlAVaK
10-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Cory Joseph...Defensively, he’s really starting to live up to his potential. The Rockets point guards, especially Jeremy Lin, had a very difficult time dealing with Joseph’s pressure. His off-the-ball defense also remains a strength...

I really like CJs agility and lateral movement on defense! (from about 3:10 to 3:40)

alhnuwnc8ws

racm
10-15-2012, 03:18 AM
Damn, Lin spilled spaghetti all over the court :lol

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2012, 03:20 AM
keepin curry is probably the best available big man on the cheap as insurance, just in case any of the bigs get injured....

Ice009
10-15-2012, 03:36 AM

None of these training camp guys will make a huge impact defensively. I like Curry because he is good in the post and can score. That is a pretty good weapon to have coming in off of the bench.

He might be able to get the others teams bigs in foul trouble if they can't stop him. He might not be able to stop someone like Dwight Howard, but who says that some of these other guys can stop him? If he gets the other team's big men in foul trouble then that would be huge for the Spurs. Easy baskets are always good, especially if the Spurs have a dry spell when the big three are not on the court, it would be great to have someone like Curry who you can dump the ball into to get you and easy basket inside. That would really keep the offense flowing, no more of those Tiago Splitter plays where he can't score on Derek Fisher shit.

I'm now even more convinced Curry would be a good edition to the team. As long as he is motivated and tries to do the right thing by playing defense, rebounding, passing the ball and setting good screens then he is worth keeping around IMO. Even if he doesn't excel in any of those areas, as long as he gets in better shape, gets his conditioning up and puts in the effort, he should make the team.

I am all in for Curry as there are no better options in the middle right now ... we just have to live with TD being our only interior defender.

One guy I think that can help the Spurs really improve defensively if he ever gets healthy enough to give it a go again is Greg Oden. I really would like the Spurs to take a look at him when/if he decides to give it another go.

racm
10-15-2012, 03:38 AM
None of these training camp guys will make a huge impact defensively. I like Curry because he is good in the post and can score. That is a pretty good weapon to have coming in off of the bench. He might be able to get the others teams bigs in foul trouble if they can't stop him. He might not be able to stop someone like Dwight Howard, but who says that some of these other guys can stop him? If he gets the other teams big men in foul trouble that would be huge for the Spurs. Easy baskets are always good, especially if the Spurs have a dry spell when the big three are not on the court, it would be great to have someone like Curry who you can dump the ball into to get you and easy basket inside. No more of those Tiago Splitter plays where he can't score on Derek Fisher shit.

I'm now even more convinced Curry would be a good edition to the team. As long as he is motivated and tries to do the right thing by playing defense, rebounding, passing the ball and setting good screens then he is worth keeping around IMO. Even if he doesn't excel in any of those areas, as long as he gets in better shape, gets his conditioning up and puts in the effort, he should make the team.

Again, the Spurs had mediocre post offense last season, even if they had the best offense in the league...

-21-
10-15-2012, 03:42 AM
I think we should keep Curry and send Witherspoon to the Toros. That way we could get Witherspoon back if we trade Jack.

Also, right now I want CJ to get the backup PG spot. Really good defensively and he's shown that he can attack and make plays for himself. It's just a matter of more experience tbh.

racm
10-15-2012, 03:45 AM
It's funny how the Spurs went from having no real backup PG when Ford retired to having too many options.

SpurNation
10-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Article about Witherspoon
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/17/wesley-witherspoon-trying-to-prove-he-can-play-to-potential-at-nba-summer-league/

Forgot he played the 4 in college. Great place (the Spurs) for him to improve his focus and game. Which until this one I really had no clue how talented he was. Seemed to be a better fit than Derrick Brown who has 4 years experience over Witherspoon. It's not easy as a rookie to play with the starters and perform well. But he did.

silverblackfan
10-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the write up. Quality as usual.
You have to love how hard Curry is trying to make the team. If there were some way to guarantee he would stay in shape, I think the Spurs have to keep him. He is too big and talented enough to handle that bench role. On a team with many options, it gives us one more vs the big line ups.
Brown has not been memorable. Certainly did not live up to the hype on the board when he was invited to camp.
Witherspoon was also quite a surprise. He really did remind me a lot of Sean Elliott with his quickness, length, and shooting. It would be nice if we could retain the rights to that guy. Hopefully, we will see more of him in the next few games.
Nando continues to be a revelation. Attach that guy to Manu for all of training camp. Another Manu might kill Pop, but really exciting to the Spurs fans to see someone else who can pass like that.

siraulo23
10-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Eddy Curry
It’s getting more and more difficult to advocate not keeping Eddy Curry. Sunday afternoon was the best he’s looked in silver and black. Offensively, he was just a beast in the low block. When he wasn’t scoring with power moves, he was showing off a finesse touch on his hook shots or finding the open man. His passing, which has always been maligned, continues to be a bright spot. It should also be noted that his 5-for-5 shooting from the field with no turnovers performance came largely against Omer Asik, who is regarded as one of the very best defensive centers in the NBA. Defensively, he was active -- relatively speaking, at least. He remained mentally engaged and repeatedly offered quality help by using his bulk to close off the lane. Curry is always going to have his rough edges but it’s obvious he’s giving it his all to make this team.

Highlights, all FG, damn he's got moves down low

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICy0aOeDBqg

racm
10-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Scoring on Omer Asik? :wow

MaNu4Tres
10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks.

Spurs are going into this season with many expendable pieces that can be bundled into a trade sometime down the line. Especially if Curry can win Pop over and display effective efficiency on both ends of the court (which could mean Splitter could become expendable; esp. with his contract situation coming up).

So far, Curry has been very impressive from what I've seen. I can't imagine him being cut.

spurspokesman
10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
How quickly people forget. Eddie Curry was always a talented offensive player. His work ethic, weight, lackluster defense and attitude was his achilles heel. If he is motivated the spurs would be insane to not pick him up. Enough of the armchair GM stuff. Just my 0.02

lefty
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
It's funny how the Spurs went from having no real backup PG when Ford retired to having too many options.

This

It's a good problem to have

But I'll keep De Colo

He has cojones

jjktkk
10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks Tim.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks

Manufan909
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much siraulo!!! Curry's shots were what I wanted to see most from this game. I you have any video of Witherspoon's made FGs, hook a brother up.

KL2
10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I really like what I've seen out of Joseph, his lateral quickness is ridiculous, there are only a few guys in the NBA that can move like that (Sefolosha, Bledsoe, etc.). His defense could make a huge impact for the Spurs, he can defend the point and the SG position as well. DeColo, Mills and Neal all seem to be pretty bad defensively, Parker seems okay, but Joseph seems to already be an above average defender with the potential to become great in a few years.

Bruno
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
The Matt Bonner situation is really weird with only 22 minutes played in the preseason. All the other players that have been healthy have at least played 50 minutes. There is something behind that. Either Bonner had some kind of injury or Pop has fully given up on him and is sure to put him at the deep end of the bench regardless or what he could do in preseason.

KL2
10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Or Pop views Bonner as a major key to their success and doesn't want him to get hurt lol.

I definitely think Bonners role will decrease though, mainly because Diaw can shoot the 3.

spursince#99
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I believe trading Splitter would be a bad idea. He is unstoppable when in the pick and roll no matter who handles the ball.

TD 21
10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Cory Joseph

On just about every other team in the league, Joseph would be a shoo-in for a backup role.

Off the top of my head, he'd only have a legit shot for these teams (and in the case of some, it's because their backup PG is really a combo guard and they're weak at backup SG, so they'd have flexibility): Pistons, Rockets, Grizzlies, Bucks, Hornets, Magic, 76ers, Trail Blazers, Wizards. That's nine teams or less than a third of the league.

Derrick Brown

Welp, this was the end of the line for Derrick Brown.

Not that it wasn't already abundantly clear that he wasn't making the team, but when Pop said his best position was PF after the Nuggets game, that was the final nail in the coffin. His chances of making it in the first place were predicated on being a SF first.

Pop
I thought it was interesting that Pop kept Neal at shooting guard even though both Ginobili and Green played. Does that mean De Colo and Joseph have moved past Neal on the depth chart at point guard?

It probably means nothing, other than it's preseason and they're not yet utilizing their regular rotation. I actually think it's more likely that Neal get's traded before the season begins than it is they start the season with him not in the rotation.

Something's got to give, though, because De Colo and Joseph look overqualified to be inactive and in the D-League. De Colo, in particular. That type of vision and play making is always at a premium, which is why you rarely find players like that not in a rotation.

elemento
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Matt Bonner's case is easy to explain

0.8ppg / 1.8rpg 11.1%FG and 14.3%3P in the OKC series. I think Pop has had enough.

Bruno
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
TP talked a little about the start of the training camp on his radio show:

"We are trying to figure out which bigman we will keep. We give a lot of playing time to Eddy Curry. It's a big gamble. We want to see what he can bring to us. There is too Josh Powell, a former Lakers and Hawks player. So we are trying to see how we can improve our frontcourt. On the perimeter, we give a little playing time to the young players."

From what Parker said, it seems that the bigman who will be kept with the 15th roster spot won't necessarily end up as the deep end of the bench. Pop trying so much weird bigmen pairs during preseason games might be a sign that nothing in set in stones in that area. If Eddy Curry turns out well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pop going with a Duncan/Diaw/Splitter/Curry rotation.

gee
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
DeJuan Blair
While he sacrificed his body on a number of occasions, his sacrifices were often ill-timed with poor implementation.

He tried to draw 3 charges, resulting in 3 blocking fouls on the shot.
No 1 was an obvious slide into the offensive player, and No 2 and 3 he was trying to take the charge INSIDE the restricted area. Yeah.
I've supported DeJuan pretty much unconditionally during his whole career as a Spur, but his incredibly low IQ and STUUUUPID plays + how hilarious he finds them afterwards are really starting to rustle my jimmies.

RodNIc91
10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
From what Parker said, it seems that the bigman who will be kept with the 15th roster spot won't necessarily end up as the deep end of the bench. Pop trying so much weird bigmen pairs during preseason games might be a sign that nothing in set in stones in that area. If Eddy Curry turns out well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pop going with a Duncan/Diaw/Splitter/Curry rotation.

I was going to start a thread speaking of this possibility but it seemed a bit premature considering there are still some preseason games to go and we aren't still sure if someone will stay with that roster spot. Saying that, the rotation you mention (and one I was envitioning) doesn't seem that crazy. With Timmy transitioning to less of a banging game with more of a reliable jumper, he could be paired more easily with either Tiago or Curry. Blair would be the 5th big appearantly. Plus Tiago's more light frame might be by design, so that he could defend more mobile players. That rotation would be very big. It could even turn some match ups in favour of us. Honestly, I would be all in for that rotation. I think it might work.

therealtruth
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Again, the Spurs had mediocre post offense last season, even if they had the best offense in the league...

Good point. Post offense allows you to whether out the shooting slumps and get more consistent scoring.

racm
10-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Curry can help in that regard. If Asik allowed him to go 5-5... :hat

MI21
10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Curry was going right at Asik with no issues, really great to see. If Curry can be effective 15MPG, the Spurs would have a nice big-man rotation with a few options as well as the ability to play Kawhi at small ball 4.

racm
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM
If Curry maintains this level of play into the RS we can see Pop using a TD/Diaw/Splitter/Curry rotation. And that's a pretty big if.

TD 21
10-15-2012, 08:16 PM

"We are trying to figure out which bigman we will keep. We give a lot of playing time to Eddy Curry. It's a big gamble. We want to see what he can bring to us. There is too Josh Powell, a former Lakers and Hawks player. So we are trying to see how we can improve our frontcourt. On the perimeter, we give a little playing time to the young players."

I could see how you'd interpret it that way, but I'd be shocked if Curry opens the season in the rotation. I'm still skeptical he makes the team because I'm not sure they'll keep him to be inactive and as presently constituted, he would be. So if he's kept, I wouldn't be shocked to see a Blair trade.

For Pop to go with the big rotation you're suggesting though, it would require a radical shift . . .

1) Splitter would have to start because there's no way they'd play him next to Curry.

2) Curry would have to be less of a post player and more of a pick-and-roll player, otherwise he'd relegate Ginobili to more of a spot up role.

3) They'd have not only less spacing, but even less defensive mobility amongst their bigs than they already have and the only area it could be said for certain that they'd have improved in is post scoring.

99 Problems
10-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I knew it. Here comes the Le Bron James - Bonner trade.

CGD
10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
If curry pans out I could see the spurs trading tiago. I really don't think the spurs want to pay him top dollar this summer anyway. Then they can use tiago to get a mobile 4 to spell diaw.

Outlier
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Did De Colo pass this well in France? How come we never saw this from him or expected it?

tmtcsc
10-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Obfuscate

Amuseddaysleeper
10-15-2012, 11:23 PM
The Matt Bonner situation is really weird with only 22 minutes played in the preseason. All the other players that have been healthy have at least played 50 minutes. There is something behind that. Either Bonner had some kind of injury or Pop has fully given up on him and is sure to put him at the deep end of the bench regardless or what he could do in preseason.

:smokin

timtonymanu
10-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Please don't get my hopes up!

racm
10-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Please, everyone knows Bonner will be shipped at the deadline :downspin:

Brazil
10-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Did De Colo pass this well in France? How come we never saw this from him or expected it?

De Colo always had amazing passing abilities. You didn't expect it probably because you are not following French basketball.

Ice009
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/10/15/spurs%E2%80%99-mills-happily-back-to-work/

Early practice, early departure: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich changed his training camp practice schedule Monday to accommodate Matt Bonner’s annual golf tournament that benefits the Kids Sports Network.

He pushed up the start of practice by one hour, and when it ended, he and Bonner headed to TPC at San Antonio for the event.

lol

Seventyniner
10-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Early practice, early departure: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich changed his training camp practice schedule Monday to accommodate Matt Bonner’s annual golf tournament that benefits the Kids Sports Network.

He pushed up the start of practice by one hour, and when it ended, he and Bonner headed to TPC at San Antonio for the event.

Oh, so that's why Bonner will never get traded. Pop's just doing it for the kids!

gameFACE
10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
If Curry maintains this level of play into the RS we can see Pop using a TD/Diaw/Splitter/Curry rotation. And that's a pretty big if.

I'm mixed on Curry. After the Nuggets game all I could think about was the principal from Animal House, "fat and stupid is no way to go through life, son". But I finally saw the Rockets game on DVR and he looked pretty good. Can he develop a defensive mindset for an 82-game season, though? I dunno. I'd also like to see him playing next to Tim.

Keep Witherspoon!

Bruno
10-16-2012, 07:23 PM

I'm not tying to but if someone has a better explanation for Bonner's situation that injury or doghouse, I'm all ears.

DPG21920
10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Like someone else mentioned, outside of Tim (whom Pop might want to get more time with Tim and Diaw since they didn't have a training camp last year) he knows what he has in Bonner and needs to see things from all the other big men on the roster?

therealtruth
10-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Like someone else mentioned, outside of Tim (whom Pop might want to get more time with Tim and Diaw since they didn't have a training camp last year) he knows what he has in Bonner and needs to see things from all the other big men on the roster?

Pop's excuse for not playing more Tim and Tiago together has been the lack of training camp and practice time. Now he has no excuse. He should make sure that they can play together.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Good on you Eddy Curry is all I can say. He's looking great, should make the team. And as others have already said, it'd be nice to have a reliable low post option again. :D

mountainballer
10-17-2012, 05:16 AM
I don't think there is a "Bonner situation". it's pretty simple.
they plan to keep one from the group Curry, Brown and Powell and they need minutes from each player to evaluate who makes most sense. so they cut those minutes from the regular bigs and they cut the most minutes from the one big, who would play the smallest role anyway. (a role that is well known. by the player, by the coach, by the team). in the end it's about the question, who will be the 6th big. and this player might take over the 5th spot in the rotation from Bonner during the season. not more.

Ice009
10-17-2012, 06:07 AM
I want Bonner off the team. It is that simple. Don't give a shit what role he is supposed to play, the role he needs to play is of a player that is not on this team.

therealtruth
10-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I want Bonner off the team. It is that simple. Don't give a shit what role he is supposed to play, the role he needs to play is of a player that is not on this team.

Pop has got to realize Bonner is useless for winning championships. Bonner could have played a role in the Thunder series and Pop tried to use him. However Pop's got to realize by now Bonner can't contribute to a title winning team.

DPG21920
10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't think there is a "Bonner situation". it's pretty simple.
they plan to keep one from the group Curry, Brown and Powell and they need minutes from each player to evaluate who makes most sense. so they cut those minutes from the regular bigs and they cut the most minutes from the one big, who would play the smallest role anyway. (a role that is well known. by the player, by the coach, by the team). in the end it's about the question, who will be the 6th big. and this player might take over the 5th spot in the rotation from Bonner during the season. not more.

Why do you think Matt will be the 5th big?

urunobili
10-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Patty Mills is not playing for us anymore? :wow

Ice009
10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Patty Mills is not playing for us anymore? :wow

What are you talking about?

benefactor
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Pop has got to realize Bonner is useless for winning championships. Bonner could have played a role in the Thunder series and Pop tried to use him. However Pop's got to realize by now Bonner can't contribute to a title winning team.
:lol

urunobili
10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
What are you talking about?

didn't see the game, he's not included in the Game Thoughts. what's so difficult or weird about that? it's just a question.

benefactor
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Ankle injury. Nothing serious though.

itsbcbaby
10-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Derrick Brown
Welp, this was the end of the line for Derrick Brown. It would have been difficult for him to play any worse. In the halfcourt, he wouldn’t stick out more if he were wearing a pink jersey and a sombrero. He’s just totally worthless in that setting and I don’t see any hope that he can fix his shortcomings. Not only can he not shoot, dribble or pass, his instincts are horrible and he has no clue about spacing. Defensively, he’s truthfully not much better. His rotations have a molasses-like quality. Of the training camp invitees, he was probably the favorite. But right now, I’d be surprised if he’s still on the roster by the time the next preseason game tips off.

Longtime Xavier fan here who started lurking on this board once the Spurs signed him. I've held a grudge against the Spurs since you cut Romain Sato 8 years ago. Please, enjoy the insight. From what I witnessed Saturday, I probably won't be lurking around here much longer.

After reading the first couple of your post game writeups, I was convinced Derrick Brown had slept with your wife. Based on the box scores, I didn't really see where your negative comments had come from. This had been the first game I'd been able to catch (NBA TV), and unfortunately I couldn't agree with you more. I apologize, you we're right. He was just downright awful, I just checked back here and I'm completely shocked he hasn't been cut yet.

Offensively, he reverted to the way he had been playing his rookie year in Charlotte. Very hesitant, not sure what to do whenever he got the ball. Last year, it seemed as if he finally got the confidence back he had his days at X. Granted, he's never been a knock down outside shooter, but he would at least take the mid-range J, make aggressive drives and get to the rim. From what I saw this weekend, he's got the deer in headlights look again.

His defensive potential has to be the only reason he's still around. I actually thought his defense was pretty good - one play stood out in which he made a rotation onto a big guy who quickly made a bad pass out of bounds. Pop was out of his seat applauding him right afterwards. His greatest defensive attribute is his perimeter, on ball defense. Considering the Spurs are looking at him as primarily a 4, he probably won't get to showcase it very much. Let's all agree that we can just disregard the 2nd half of the clip below.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzyvz8i1-5k" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzyvz8i1-5k (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzyvz8i1-5k)

Though unlikely from what I've seen/read, hopefully he can turn it around and make the team. If not, maybe I'll stop by in another 8 years to have another similar discussion.

timvp
10-17-2012, 04:40 PM
^Classic first post :lol

The more I look at Brown, the more I'm convinced that he's carrying around like 15 excess pounds. I've seen him play quite a bit over the years and this is by far the slowest and least athletic he's ever looked. This version of Brown is really bad at defending out on the perimeter; he's nothing like the guy in that video. The only other explanation is he's dealing with some sort of injury.

But, yeah, Pop has already given up on him playing small forward ... so I'm not exactly sure why the Spurs haven't waived him yet. Maybe they gave him some guaranteed money and will keep him around for a little bit since the money is already spent.

Leetonidas
10-17-2012, 04:44 PM

I just can't see it, the spacing would be terrible. There would be pros obviously but I don't see a Splitter/Curry or Duncan/Curry lineup working too well.

Bruno
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not sold on the explanation of Bonner playing that little only because he is a known quantity. Every years, proven players don't play a lot in the first preseason games to better evaluate other players. However, Bonner has played more than twice less than the other proven players. It's possible that I'm reading too much in the situation but I think there is something more behind that.

I just can't see it, the spacing would be terrible. There would be pros obviously but I don't see a Splitter/Curry or Duncan/Curry lineup working too well.

Splitter/Curry would be bad for sure spacing wise. Now, if Pop wants to have a more physical and bigger team, that's the way to go. Another point is that Spurs were 23rd in low post scoring efficiency last year. A low post pressence like Curry should help in that area and makes Spurs offense more consistent and more versatile.

mountainballer
10-18-2012, 04:58 AM
we will find out in Florida. they now have this one week break and likely the most intense phase of the camp, so I'm pretty sure the big decisions will be made right before they hop on the plane to Miami.
another point about keeping Curry might be this, that, if he shows he can be a relieable backup, it opens a very intriguing trade scenario for the Spurs. Splitter, (or Splitter plus 1st round pick) will likely be the most attractive traide bait the Spurs can offer. (Splitter will bring full bird rights with him AND is restricted, so a team that won't have cap space next summer, but need a starting center, might gamble on him). without a 3rd center on the team such a trade scenario isn't very likely. this doesn't mean such a scenario will happen, Spurs will still need to find a good offer, but the more options you create (and a competent FO creates those options right now and not in February), the better your odds are.

Bruno
10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
another point about keeping Curry might be this, that, if he shows he can be a relieable backup, it opens a very intriguing trade scenario for the Spurs. Splitter, (or Splitter plus 1st round pick) will likely be the most attractive traide bait the Spurs can offer. (Splitter will bring full bird rights with him AND is restricted, so a team that won't have cap space next summer, but need a starting center, might gamble on him). without a 3rd center on the team such a trade scenario isn't very likely.

Good point.

The elephant in the room with Splitter is whether or not Spurs will be fine with offering him a big contract next summer.

Even if they aren't great, seven footer are paid a lot of money. Splitter should follow this pattern. Even if Spurs will be in a fine situation next summer regarding the salary cap, they might not want spend their money on Splitter. There are signs about Pop not being really high on Splitter: blue collar comments, upset about his injuries and his choking in last year playoffs.

xmas1997
10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
The elephant in the room with Splitter is whether or not Spurs will be fine with offering him a big contract next summer.
Even if they aren't great, seven footer are paid a lot of money. Splitter should follow this pattern. Even if Spurs will be in a fine situation next summer regarding the salary cap, they might not want spend their money on Splitter. There are signs about Pop not being really high on Splitter: blue collar comments, upset about his injuries and his choking in last year playoffs.

I don't know, Bruno, seems to me if this were the case then they would have parted with Bonner by now too, but he is still around.

Bruno
10-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't know, Bruno, seems to me if this were the case then they would have parted with Bonner by now too, but he is still around.

When they signed Bonner to his contract in 2010, I don't think Pop saw him as a playoff choker. It's possible that Pop still don't see him like that even if they are some signs he saw the light in the last playoffs and during the summer. There is too a big difference between them: Splitter will be way more expensive to keep than Bonner was.

mountainballer
10-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Gortat (5years/34 million) and Asik (3years/25 million) are the blue prints for the Splitter contract. Splitter might not have the defensive potential of both, but he is a far better offensive player (and a better baller overall). either Gortat and Asik came from a compareable situation as back ups in limited roles. there will be several teams willing to give Splitter such a contract. if they want to keep Splitter, it will cost the Spurs those numbers. a MLE like contract won't do it. (my guess is, it starts with 4 years/ 30 million)
Spurs know this and they will think twice before they trow starter money on Splitter.

szkorhetz
10-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Gortat (5years/34 million) and Asik (3years/25 million) are the blue prints for the Splitter contract. Splitter might not have the defensive potential of both, but he is a far better offensive player (and a better baller overall). either Gortat and Asik came from a compareable situation as back ups in limited roles. there will be several teams willing to give Splitter such a contract. if they want to keep Splitter, it will cost the Spurs those numbers. a MLE like contract won't do it. (my guess is, it starts with 4 years/ 30 million)
Spurs know this and they will think twice before they trow starter money on Splitter.

Gortat is worse than Splitter? Which games do you watch?

xmas1997
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Decent bigs don't come cheaply no matter how good or bad the player is, and although Splitter is not a great center, he is still a decent one, so they are eventually going to have to fork over some bucks to keep him, or settle for a center who isn't at least decent.