06-26-2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_nick_van_exel.jpg

Position: G
Born: Nov 27, 1971
Height: 6-1 / 1,85
Weight: 190 lbs. / 86,2 kg.
College : Cincinnati '93

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_van_exel/index.html?nav=page

Capable of going nuclear from the three point arc, nearing the end of his career, has gotten the coin, but he still needs a ring.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
...and he wanted to get back to Texas, at least last year, IIRC.

Would be nice to have on the bench. Beno would be moved, I guess.

Manu20
06-26-2005, 07:49 PM
:tu If he wants a ring, San Antonio is the place to come Nick.

Cant_Be_Faded
Would there be any way to get Tha Quick and keep Beno??

Aggie Hoopsfan
I'd say keep Beno around, let him learn some of Nick's tricks (not the shoving a ref onto a table type stuff, the veteran tricks).

Could probably teach Tony a thing or two about FTs, too.

E20
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
If we got NVE that would be sweet. He's safe from the FT(or 18ft) line that's for sure. Not so sure about his D but, I know his shot is ^^^^.

whottt
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
:tu Major :tu for Nick.

I think he can be had on the cheap...this dude wants a ring. He wants to play in Texas...and he's shown he can lead if he's in the right situation..I danced a jig when the Mavs dumped him.

Get him if you can.

The object right now is to win a title...not develop Beno...you IR Beno and let this guy do his thing...

jalbre6
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I'd say keep Beno around, let him learn some of Nick's tricks (not the shoving a ref onto a table type stuff, the veteran tricks).

I get a kick out of watching Van Exel shoot FT's...about three feet back of the line and to the right a little. He still puts in about 75-80%, though.

shyne
06-26-2005, 08:08 PM
I thought he was going to retire.

foodie2
06-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, please. :tu :tu

conversekid
06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Quick feet... good penetrator... nice 3pt shot... fearless. The guy thrives on taking and hitting big shots in crunch time. He would be an awesome backup to parker. He would be able to keep the tempo up and would be great at feeding duncan the ball. When they double, he can really make them pay. That's why I liked barry feeding tim the ball when he was on the court, it allows barry to get the open 3 more often.

T Park
06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Bring him on.

Van Exel would be fantastic off the bench.

He practically carried the Mavericks to the Western Finals in 03.

spurster
06-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Nick the Quick would be a great pickup, but it seems doubtful to me that he could be had for the min or the LLE.

exstatic
06-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I thought he was retiring. He would be a good pickup at a reasonable price. That, or...

Barry to Portland in a S&T.... :devil

NCaliSpurs
06-26-2005, 10:28 PM
If NVE wants to come, you sign him. Period.

It ain't going to happen though. Rings or no rings. He could potentially be giving up lots of money. I wander what his value is.

texasqb2
06-26-2005, 10:34 PM
If NVE wants to come, you sign him. Period.

It ain't going to happen though. Rings or no rings. He could potentially be giving up lots of money. I wander what his value is.

Yeah but what you dont understand is the rumors of guys like Van Exel and Houston coming to the Spurs is legit. They arent losing money b/c they are thinking of retiring, so playing for the minimum will net them more money if they want to play one last year and be in the hunt to win a ring ala Payton and Malone in LA (but we'll win it)

xcoriate
06-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Nick "the not so quick"?

Its a no from me. I never really dug him however.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2005, 11:16 PM
NVE plays better the longer he's on the floor. I've always noticed he needs his minutes to be truly effective. As much as I've always liked his game I'm not sure he'd be the fit the Spurs need unless Pop is willing to give him 20 minutes a night.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks for coming around to my way of thinking, but he has to have his option passed on by Portland first -- not a slamdunk as he might be used in a trade.

T Park
06-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Barry to Portland in a S&T....

If that is what it took, then i would say No no thanks.

Brent Barry stepped up in game 7, i have nothing but good things to think about Brent Barry right now.

baseline bum
06-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Of all free agents he's my first choice (Scola 2nd). This team desperately needs consistent PG play, and until TP get a jumpshot and Beno learns how to handle a halfcourt trap it won't get it. Van Exel would be perfect to log big minutes when Tony if having a really off game in the playoffs again. Plus, he's Horry Lite. Van Exel carried Dallas to the WCF in 03.

baseline bum
06-27-2005, 02:21 AM
double post

slayermin
06-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Whenever his name is brought up, I think of Game Five of the semis in '95. I went to that game and it still stings, a little less now a days.

I guess keeping a Spur killer like him off a possible title contender wouldn't be so bad.

Eva
06-27-2005, 02:47 AM
I remember him back in his Mav days. He was awesome

Chris
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
This is the best free agent to choose from considering the inconsistency at the point guard position. Exel is great at assists, is not turnover prone, and has an excellent jump shot from anywhere. He's not as quick as Parker but would be great off the bench for 15 minutes a game. Parker is our guy but Exel would be an x-factor for sure.

2pac
06-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Head case? Shaq had him traded. Lakers were down in the series, and when they broke from the timeout, NVE said something like "1, 2, 3 Cancun" or "1, 2 ,3 Vacation."

constantstate
06-30-2005, 01:22 AM
they say his knees and him are done... but i think it was the fact that cheeks looked depressed enough for 2. he took all the beating for a bad team. i think he'd be a great backup.

2pac
06-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Sign him to the vet min and the league picks up the tab.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 04:15 AM
I'd rather have Raja Bell instead

batman2883
06-30-2005, 08:16 AM
:angel

Hell he could teach Duncan how to shoot free throws from the top of the key. Duncan should be back there, he's money from that spot more than the free throw line.

boutons
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
"in his Mav days. He was awesome"

Having that "03 NVE" would be wonderful (but probably unaffordable).
And what has he done, has been able to do, since season/WCF 03?

Having the often-hurt NVE of the last two years, much less wonderful.

I remember one GM comment when he left DAL: "No matter what team he plays for, he's an asshole". Which is why the press loves him, runs his mouth with controversial comments. Probably wouldn't be true as a Spur, but if he get unhappy with tiny PT....

Can't the Spurs do better than next year's NVE?

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-30-2005, 08:51 AM
NVE could be the next Steve Kerr for the Spurs. Crappy knees, limited mobility and defense, but a sharp (and clutch) shooter who is also strong from the FT line. If we can get him for the vet minimum that would be great. Put Beno in the developmental or the inactive list and let Nick know that the organization won't put up with any bullshit, one asshole move and he's off the active roster.

SWC Bonfire
06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, at least we would know he has no problems coming off the bench.

MI21
06-30-2005, 10:40 AM
It would feel really strange having both Horry and Van Exel on the one Spurs team.

Good strange, though.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Bad fit. His knees are shot and even if he were healthy, he would be an offensive "black hole". If you're looking for a pure scorer, keep Big Dog around.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Bad fit?

Last time I looked we could use a backup point guard who can handle the pressure of the playoffs.
His knees are shot and even if he were healthy, he would be an offensive "black hole".Substitue "ankles" for "knees" and you have the argument against the aforementioned Dog.

rayray2k8
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
This guy somehow found a way to torch us every year.. Why they hell not sign him?
but the question is, for how much? you gotta resign horry and probably bring in scola..
will there be anything left for him if the spurs F.O even wants him?

Chris
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Bad fit. His knees are shot and even if he were healthy, he would be an offensive "black hole". If you're looking for a pure scorer, keep Big Dog around.

Big Dog is a streaky scorer and is far from consistent or pure.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for coming around to my way of thinking, but he has to have his option passed on by Portland first -- not a slamdunk as he might be used in a trade.

I read that it's not a regular Team Option for Portland on Van Exel .. that it was an "Early Termination Option" which he declined. So what does that mean exactly? I know that it means his salary is not guaranteed this upcoming season by the Blazers. But what does it mean in regard to his free agency status.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I read that it's not a regular Team Option for Portland on Van Exel .. that it was an "Early Termination Option" which he declined. So what does that mean exactly? I know that it means his salary is not guaranteed this upcoming season by the Blazers. But what does it mean in regard to his free agency status.

this is from oregonlive.com
Thursday, June 23, 2005

Trade offer rebuffed?
CNNsi.com says the Blazers tried to swap draft picks with Atlanta:

The Blazers are searching everywhere for the best deal. They asked Atlanta about giving up the No. 2 pick in exchange for Darius Miles and the No. 3, but the Hawks had no interest.

Same story addresses the Paul Pierce trade rumors:

Don't believe rumors that the Celtics are looking to deal Paul Pierce for the Blazers' No. 3 pick and the non-guaranteed $13.7 million salary of Nick Van Exel, which would provide instant cap relief. While the Celtics would like to cut costs, they also need to sell tickets -- and they won't be able to do that without Pierce or another star scorer in his place, so it's hard to see that trade being consummated unless a third team gets involved. From Portland's view, the Blazers could net more by making two separate trades -- one for the pick, the other for Van Exel.

so maybe the team does have the option?

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:34 PM
so maybe the team does have the option?

They do have some sort of option. But it's not a regular Team Option. It's a declined Early Termination Option. So I was just trying to ask ChumpDumper (or someone else who knows the CBA really well) what that means in terms of his trade value. Because I understand that his money is not guaranteed for next season because he turned down the option. So I'm assuming that they have to trade him .. he's not a unrestricted or restricted free agent.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
They do have some sort of option. But it's not a regular Team Option. It's a declined Early Termination Option. So I was just trying to ask ChumpDumper (or someone else who knows the CBA really well) what that means in terms of his trade value. Because I understand that his money is not guaranteed for next season because he turned down the option. So I'm assuming that they have to trade him .. he's not a unrestricted or restricted free agent.
well the portland website has him listed under "team option" free agent.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
well the portland website has him listed under "team option" free agent.

Yeah, that's wrong. I got the official list from the NBA and he is listed as ETO.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Yeah, that's wrong. I got the official list from the NBA and he is listed as ETO.
it will be good to see what happens with him - i think he'd be a perfect backup here - btw - reading the last 10 things portland has done... what happened to them? (its been a slow decline into hell)

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Portland sucks.

They could waive Van Exel and then he could go wherever he wants. But I'm guessing they'll trade to trade him.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 08:52 PM
i would not trade ANYone to portland. not even if they killed the coyote in practice.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 08:53 PM
The only early termination clause I have heard of is one that can be exercised by players before the penultimate year of a contract. If Van Exel passed on that clause last season, it's entirely possible this last season is not guaranteed and he could be cut any time with no further obligation to the team.

That complicates things, since Portland could hang on to NVE until the final year becomes guaranteed (it would eventually) or until they think he's untradeable or not worth paying anymore. It's possible NVE could threaten to retire if they don't make a decision quickly enough.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
The only early termination clause I have heard of is one that can be exercised by players before the penultimate year of a contract. If Van Exel passed on that clause last season, it's entirely possible this last season is not guaranteed and he could be cut any time with no further obligation to the team.

Yes. That's the exact situation; he declined it last year.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Several players have the ETO option this year too. I didn't think it was a common thing, but if you look at the list of free agents -- you'll see some of them have it. Van Exel had it last year and declined it. That's why he isn't listed as a restricted or unrestricted free agent -- he's not one.

Free Agent List (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18241)

This ESPN article talks about Van Exel's situation too ...

Nick Van Exel does not have a team option. His $12,731,000 salary is not guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2097450&num=0

kevm2
06-30-2005, 09:40 PM
If we could get him, I wouldn't mind having him on the team. Tony needs a backup out there that can hang with the defensive prowess of a team like Detroit. Beno's a good player, but it's obvious he did NOT look good against Detroit.

timvp
08-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Van Exel seems like he could be coming into play. DA to the Rockets pretty much takes away the money they could offer. I think the Mavs have used up their MLE. The Heat are probably going to sign Finley, so their MLE should be gone too.

Now it will probably come down to the Spurs and a team like the Nuggets.

I think NVE is exactly what this team needs. He's a player not afraid to shoot. Sure he's getting old and isn't what he once was, but he'll be playing behind Parker and will only be asked to give spot minutes. Off the bench, there won't be a more dangerous backup point in the league.

Sign him up :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
08-21-2005, 10:52 PM
for the love of god sign him please. he'll be our veteran backup point guard we need.
and as a bonus we will have one entire season in which NVE is not ruining us and making our defense look silly...

marcus
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Van Exel seems like he could be coming into play. DA to the Rockets pretty much takes away the money they could offer. I think the Mavs have used up their MLE. The Heat are probably going to sign Finley, so their MLE should be gone too.

Now it will probably come down to the Spurs and a team like the Nuggets.

I think NVE is exactly what this team needs. He's a player not afraid to shoot. Sure he's getting old and isn't what he once was, but he'll be playing behind Parker and will only be asked to give spot minutes. Off the bench, there won't be a more dangerous backup point in the league.

Sign him up :smokin

Van Exel said he wants to play in texas so that should take Denver out of the list as well.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
its going to be a very interesting season.

nacho estrada
08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
VAN EXEL and HORRY= ENOUGH NUTS FOR A WHOLE TEAM. Especially being that our softest position seems to be the point. Beno and Tony could learn alot from Van Exel if put in the right environment in practice, which Im sure would be provided by Pop. I am with those who think this would be an awesome fit for S.A., Nick needs a chance to win a ring and S.A. is the place to do it. Dont doubt this dude's heart, he's ferocious. The Spurs need to make this move to sure up the point. Money will talk, but hopefully the chance to play with Tim, Manu, Tony and Rob help Nick in his decision to finish his career as a champ in 2006.

timvp
08-21-2005, 11:33 PM
VAN EXEL and HORRY= ENOUGH NUTS FOR A WHOLE TEAM. Especially being that our softest position seems to be the point. Beno and Tony could learn alot from Van Exel if put in the right environment in practice, which Im sure would be provided by Pop. I am with those who think this would be an awesome fit for S.A., Nick needs a chance to win a ring and S.A. is the place to do it. Dont doubt this dude's heart, he's ferocious. The Spurs need to make this move to sure up the point. Money will talk, but hopefully the chance to play with Tim, Manu, Tony and Rob help Nick in his decision to finish his career as a champ in 2006.

:tu

That's pretty much on point.

marcus
08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
In his last season in Dallas he played almost 30 minutes behind Nash.

In my opinion he is a super sub.

SilverSpur
08-21-2005, 11:50 PM
I say sign him. Im tired of him kicking are a__ every time we play against him (Lakers, Mavericks, Warriors, Nuggets) I think he would be a good insurance policy if Beno struggles again or Parker goes cold from the outside. Ive read that many of you are concernd about his health. I dont think the Spurs would sign him if he wasnt healthy enough. Besides whats the use of having a healthy Paker or Beno if they are always going cold in crunch time. NVE lives for crunch time. This guy has always been a Spur killer were ever he goes. I would sign him just to keep him off another contenders roster. Wait and see. He will go somewhere else and you are going to regret not signing him. If we cant have him and Beno at the same time I say dump the players at the end of the bench like Sean Marks, players that only see playing time when we are in a blowout. Give those minutes to NVE, he would be are next Vinny "Microwave" Johnson.

Dre_7
08-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Come on Nick. There is still time for you to get a ring in your career!!

marcus
08-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Something is for sure, time is running out in the off-season and all the good free-agents left are signing with other teams so it is better to get Van Exel now than some crappy player later.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Since McKie is off the market, I think NVE could be the a good option. He can help out at the point and SG. However, that doesnt solve out problem at the 3. But NVE as a good fit for the Spurs tactics wise, Im not sold on that. I still think he might have a little trouble fitting into the defensive scheme. But hes a good player to have coming off the bench. As long as he doesnt take bad shots, he can continue to create his own shot.

baseline bum
08-22-2005, 01:51 AM
"in his Mav days. He was awesome"

Having that "03 NVE" would be wonderful (but probably unaffordable).
And what has he done, has been able to do, since season/WCF 03?

Having the often-hurt NVE of the last two years, much less wonderful.

I remember one GM comment when he left DAL: "No matter what team he plays for, he's an asshole". Which is why the press loves him, runs his mouth with controversial comments. Probably wouldn't be true as a Spur, but if he get unhappy with tiny PT....

Can't the Spurs do better than next year's NVE?

Robert Horry had horrible postseasons in 2003 and 2004, but we saw how this season turned out. Before the playoffs last year you could have asked what the hell Rob's done since hitting that shot vs Sacramento.

If Van Exel sucks or acts like an ass cut him and you still have your title team. To me it's a no-risk, high-reward option.

Horry For 3!
08-22-2005, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't mind having NVE on the Spurs. I think he could really help out the Spurs.

Horry For 3!
08-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Robert Horry had horrible postseasons in 2003 and 2004, but we saw how this season turned out. Before the playoffs last year you could have asked what the hell Rob's done since hitting that shot vs Sacramento.

If Van Exel sucks or acts like an ass cut him and you still have your title team. To me it's a no-risk, high-reward option.
Horry was finally having fun this year and it showed. He even told the media that he was just wanted to go out there and have fun with it. He is a pretty laid back guy and when its his time. He will do the....Horry For 3! ;)

After winning his 6th Championship, i'm pretty sure he'll be having a lot more fun this coming season and soon to hit more big shots like he did in Game 5.

yavozerb
08-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Would we have enough yall think to sign both NVE and the Grob?? our second team would be: NVE, Barry, Grob, horry, Oberto/Rasho...little old though!!

beirmeistr
08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
If NVE wants a ring, and if he wants to stay in Texas, then the Spurs are his logical choice.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-22-2005, 09:35 PM
I think that we have enough to sign both of them provided NVE is willing to take a big pay cut. But that means that Devin will probably be gone. Maybe we can get a 2nd rounder for him.

Knoxville Spur
08-22-2005, 09:40 PM
How about a second team of:

NVE, Barry, Finley, Horry, Oberto/Rasho (hell might as well throw in Scola too hehe)

STRONG!

SenorSpur
08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
they say his knees and him are done... but i think it was the fact that cheeks looked depressed enough for 2. he took all the beating for a bad team. i think he'd be a great backup.

I thought his knees were done too. But if he can still "hobble" out to the 3-pt line and conjure up even 1/2 of what he's been - he'd be a great backup.