PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Veteran Backup Point Guard

spurschick
06-26-2005, 07:49 PM
I've mentioned this before and been screamed at, but...

Gary Payton.

• Playoffs/Finals experience
• Desperate for a ring, would probably be cheap
• Might be willing to swallow the humble pie and be 3rd option
• If Beno falls flat, we'd have someone with experience

I can't see any other free agent point guards that would be inexpensive or accept a third option role. Does anyone else see someone?

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Earl Watson. (not old enough?)
Nick Van Exel.

Manu20
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Nick Van Exel

Horry For 3!
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah, Earl Watson is a solid back-up pg.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Gary Payton? He plays less defense than a matador. No thanks.

NVE or Earl, please.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
i'd take claxton over payton

spurschick
06-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Would Watson or NVE be willing to take less money and be 3rd option? Not that they would necessarily stay 3rd option. Obviously, Pop will make Beno 3rd option is he's not playing well, but whoever comes in needs to have a come-what-may attitude and not let their ego get in the way.

SpursFanDan
06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Come on..payton... you know what kind of guy he is. we dont need that.

Kori Ellis
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
If Watson were here, he'd be the 2nd option. He's just coming off his rookie contract, so he hasn't made much money yet. I'm not sure how much he'll demand.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
whoever comes in needs to have a come-what-may attitude and not let their ego get in the way.

Ask yourself if Payton can fit that criteria.

Plus, we'd be playing five on four on defense, dude couldn't guard my grandma.

spurschick
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Come on..payton... you know what kind of guy he is. we dont need that.

Many questioned what kind of addition GRob would be, considering his past behavior. I definitely wouldn't want the Payton that we've seen. Bringing him here would involve a huge attitude adjustment. I'm not saying it would happen, but I'd say that anything is possible for someone at the end of his career.

I like the idea of Watson, but I'd prefer to still have a veteran backup somewhere. If we have to unload Beno, so be it, but I'd rather keep him one more year and see how he develops.

spurschick
06-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Ask yourself if Payton can fit that criteria.

Plus, we'd be playing five on four on defense, dude couldn't guard my grandma.

I'm looking at him as 3rd option. Tony would still log the bulk of the minutes and Beno would get the rest. Payton is merely around to provide veteran experience when needed. You have to admit it that it would've been nice to have a Steve Kerr around these past few weeks.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 08:06 PM
The problem with Payton is that he still believes he's a superstar and expects to be treated as such. NVE's been a problem guy during his career but he seems more willing to accept a role on a team that's going after a title.

spurschick
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
The problem with Payton is that he still believes he's a superstar and expects to be treated as such. NVE's been a problem guy during his career but he seems more willing to accept a role on a team that's going after a title.

I hadn't paid much attention to Payton this year, so you all have pretty much answered my question. NVE has the playoff experience to handle the pressure and, if he's willing to put his ego aside, he may be the guy I'm looking for.

td4mvp21
06-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I thought NVE was thinking about retirement? He's had injury problems lately hasn't he?

Chris
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
We don't need "The Glove". All we need is a SF that can back up Bowen. That's it.