PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Glenn Robinson

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/robinson_140_050621.jpghttp://www.nba.com/spurs/images/spurs_logo.gif

Glenn Robinson | 3
Position: F
Born: Jan 10, 1973
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College : Purdue '94

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/glenn_robinson/index.html?nav=page)

I, like most Spurs fans, was quite perplexed and skeptical about his signing, but man, it definitely paid off. It is intriguing to think what he could bring to this team next season after he's in condition and gets more familiar with the team and its plays. His ability to fit within the Spurs' defensive scheme as well as some of his individual defensive ability was a pleasant surprise. He'd be great, almost ideal, as a backup to Bruce. The real question is: price. Is there a front office out there willing to make a significant salary commitment to him? Hard to say.

whottt
06-26-2005, 08:05 PM
:tu of course.

If Bigg Dogg wants to play here you sign him...once he learns the system he's right there with Manu and Duncan in his ability to dominate a game offensively.

And a midrange J on the Spurs is a devastating weapon...it's the one thing they don't really have in anyone other than Duncan(or Manu).

Barry also has a great midrange(it's his best shot IMO, better than his three, that we never saw after the second month of the season) but he needs help to get it off and it doesn't look like the Spurs want to use it...

conversekid
06-26-2005, 08:27 PM
A big time keeper. If pop can find a way to utilize his mid range J, he would be golden here. 8-10 minutes a game. Bring him in to energize our often stagnant offense.

His midrange J would be killer in a pic n roll.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 08:28 PM
He and Tony would be great in a two man game, especially out around the elbows. Could definitely help to give TD a little more room inside.

T Park
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
no question I would have Glenn Robinson back in a new york minute, but the realities of him coming back are slim.

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I'd expect him to want more than 8-10 minutes a game to keep him happy. He might also get more of an offer from someone else who needs a punch. But if he wants to stay for scratch, then by all means.

Dre_7
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I hope he wants to come back. If its for the right price, I would love to see he back here!

I live in Wisconsin, so I have seen, on many occasions, what he is capable of doing offensively! May not be the same as he was back then, but I still think he is capable of a few more good years!

Keep him!!

duncan_21
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
The thing with robinson is that he's good enough to be a 2nd option in the offense on alot of teams playing 36-40 mpg. As a bball fan I would hate to see him waste his talent to play 8-10 mins.

I don't like the guy, but I hate to see talent like this waste on the bench.

Phil Hellmuth
06-26-2005, 08:34 PM
He got what he wanted... He will most likely go to some East Junk Team now.

Dre_7
06-26-2005, 08:36 PM
The thing with robinson is that he's good enough to be a 2nd option in the offense on alot of teams playing 36-40 mpg. As a bball fan I would hate to see him waste his talent to play 8-10 mins.

I don't like the guy, but I hate to see talent like this waste on the bench.

Yeah, but if he takes the offseason to get conditioned and learn the system, I doubt he will only get 8-10 minutes.

I would like him, but I still think D. Brown is priority number 1! (or 1a if Horry opts out)

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 08:37 PM
He averaged 17 minutes a night during his brief regular season stint with the Spurs. Bruce was at 32 minutes in the regular season. You'd have to believe that if Big Dog was brought back that he'd see around 20 minutes a night. He could spell Bruce a lot during the regular season to help keep Bruce fresh for the playoffs.

whottt
06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Don't forget...Robinson is younger than Bowen, Barry and Horry...and I saw no decline in his game...in fact...I saw him play some of the best ball of his career on the physically challenging defensiv end.

If he signs? He'll push for a starting spot IMO.

The guy is a SF that can hit 20PPG from range at a very high PCT, he can hit threes...he can also pull down 6 boards per game...he's always been good at stealing the ball and better than most realize at blocking shots...

His only weakness is how much of a team player he will be and how commited he is to playing D....that's the gamble..

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Damn if we could keep big dog we'd be 3lit3

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Big Dog could steal some minutes from the guard rotation as well as from Bowen. It's always nice to have a scorer on the bench. I think he and Devin would be great coming off the bench together.

NZHayden
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
will he be expensive to resign? or is money not an issue?

spurster
06-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Only a dream.

Rick Von Braun
06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Big Dog is gone. He'll get a larger role, minutes, and more dough from another team. He already got his ring and built a good citizen rep with his comeback with the Spurs.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2005, 08:59 PM
pfff, good citizen rep? The guy was here for just a handful of games and saw almost no action at all in the postseason after he pushed danny fortson

All i know is that bitch sat on his ass for the entire parade heh

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't think it's a given that he'll get a lot thrown his way. He was available last season and was only swapped for an oft-injured Mashburn before being waived.

Mark in Austin
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
If he's willing to take what's left over of the MLE after they sign Scola, (which I think will be at the most about 3 million/yr) it's a no-brainer.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Another possibility is that Scola is signed with the $1.6 mil exception and the full MLE is available...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Agreed Marcus.

Then call up Bobby Simmons and offer him the whole thing.

Mark in Austin
06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
true, but the numbers we've heard pretty consistently on Scola is 2M/yr. Hey, if he takes the LLE though, fantastic.

I wonder if there's any doubt about Robinson being able to keep this up for an entire season among Pop, RC, and Presti.

midgetonadonkey
06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
If he were to play any more than 10-15 minutes a game, he would be worthless. His career has come to playing 5-10 mpg getting 4-6 ppg. He can be used in spurts during the season, but anything more will trigger an injury. Remember this dude is Grant Hillish when it comes to being injury prone. He will be a nice dude to bring off the bench for the veteran minimum.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
He's only 32. Give him a full training camp and season to hone himself into shape and I think he'll be fine.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
the numbers we've heard pretty consistently on Scola is 2M/yr.

We don't know what the LLE will be this year. Odds are it goes up from the current 1.6 million. Say it goes up to 1.8 mil, that should be close enough for Scola's first contract.

I'm sorry, but Simmons >>>>>>>> Scola for me. If there's any way to get Bobby in here, Spurs need to be on his doorstep at 12:01 AM the first day they can be.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:17 PM
The one issue that is overlooked is that we are assuming that the Spurs won't be cheap when it comes to their bench. Already it is assumed in the forum that Devin and Horry will be re-signed to new deals starting in the $3 to 5 mil range. That would give the Spurs Barry, Rasho, Horry, and Brown with salaries in that range. All of those guys are on the bench. Also, Parker's extension starts next season.

I don't see Holt Cat et al suddenly turning into spendthrifts.

midgetonadonkey
06-26-2005, 09:28 PM
I think Rasho will be moved at some time during the offseason or next season, before the deadline. That will dump a big salary that will allow the signing of another key player.

grjr
06-26-2005, 10:12 PM
The one issue that is overlooked is that we are assuming that the Spurs won't be cheap when it comes to their bench. Already it is assumed in the forum that Devin and Horry will be re-signed to new deals starting in the $3 to 5 mil range.

Do you really think Devin will get something starting at $3 million a year? IMO, we won't be bidding against anyone for him. If Scola is happy with $6 Mil over 3 years I don't see how Devin would be worth more than that.

Not that I wouldn't mind letting Scola finish out his contract in Europe if we could keep Big Doggie around. Sure Scola would be pissed but GRob is an All-Star who might be had at a bargain basement price. If he wants to stay we HAVE to figure out a way.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-26-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd love for the Spurs to keep Robinson as he's proven he can fit into the Spurs system.

I'm not sure he'd be content with a limited role for long, but you never know.

silverandblackattack
06-26-2005, 11:33 PM
They don't need "Big Dog," they need to concentrate on keeping our core playoff rotation together and on getting Scola and perhaps Jerome James into that mix....

silverandblackattack
06-26-2005, 11:38 PM
I think Rasho will be moved at some time during the offseason or next season, before the deadline. That will dump a big salary that will allow the signing of another key player.Yeah, maybe Jerome James of Seattle....That would be sweeeeeet......

ChumpDumper
06-27-2005, 12:26 AM
He's going to sign somewhere he can start.

i.e., not here.

Mark in Austin
06-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Jerome Fucking James?

:wtf

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Maybe there's a team out there who will throw some $ at GRobinson, but man, I think the tales of him dogging it (excuse the pun) in Philly are going to really hurt him with teams, no matter how well he behaved during his cup of coffee with the Spurs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see his price be well within the Spurs' range.

boutons
06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
"Jerome Fucking James?"

a simple mis-statement. SABA meant LeBron. :)

cherylsteele
06-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I actually think we could re-sign GRob for less than the MLE.

When his mom passed away away during the playoffs the Spurs organization was behind him all the way....IMHO, that will go alot further than money in many ways.

He would be a solid front court backup.....possibly spelling Timmy and not losing any offense. Imagine a pick and roll with GRob and Barry, Devin, or even Beno. You would have to pick you poison....plus his lack of playing time did not seem to curb his enthusasim for being part of the Spurs org.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Another possibility is that Scola is signed with the $1.6 mil exception and the full MLE is available...

And spend the full MLE on Glenn? Tu loco! (right?)

GrandeDavid
06-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, could work. Not completely sold, but I can see the positives. Its all about his asking price, IMO. But I did like what he showed me briefly this year, all things considered.

Gino2882
06-27-2005, 05:58 PM
If the Spurs draft one of the 3 young foreign SFs, (Gorabele, Yoroslev, Ilsanova) then I can see them bringing back Big Dog.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Ginobili got the LLE when he signed with the Spurs back in 2002. Perhaps Ginobili's success as well as Scola's Olympic performance will up Scola's price, but if Scola wants to play in the NBA he's gotta deal with the Spurs.

As for Big Dog, the Spurs could sign him to a 3 year deal starting perhaps around $3 mil with a player option after the 2nd year. Then the Spurs would have his Bird Rights and if he's earned it, he could get a pay raise.

slayermin
06-27-2005, 06:06 PM
If Big Dog came back, it's hard not to think about the Memphis game when he scored 23 points in 22 minutes. He did that in mediocre shape and learning the system.

Maybe he would be willing to play 20-25 minutes a game. He would be a great insurance policy for Devin. Back injuries are unpredictable.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Perhaps things will be tougher in free agency for him than some initially assumed. He'd definitely be nice to have on the bench for the next couple of seasons. It seems like if the Spurs can sign Scola using the LLE that they could retain Big Dog using the MLE.

Maybe they could sign him to a deal similiar to the Horry/Ferry model with the last season partially guaranteed...

Gummi
07-06-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm sure that the Spurs won't offer Robinson the full MLE. He's not worth that IMO. He's not going to be very effective the way Pop is using him, so I can't see them spend a lot of money on him if they're going at all.

wildbill2u
07-09-2005, 07:27 PM
The last post on GROB was three days ago at 7:21 a.m..

Has anyone heard anything since then. Anyone interested in him on the wires? If no one's bidding, then the Spurs might be able to steal him.

exstatic
07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I have been watching the FA lists, top 20 or top 25. A 20 pt career scorer named Robinson isn't on any of them. My guess is that most teams would only offer him vet min. Even the LLE may lure him back here.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 08:30 PM
i sure hope people keep ignoring him like that, exstatic. remember a few years ago when every elite team seemed to have a bad ass bench scorer like bojax and nick the quick, etc

this guy can be such a weapon for us, plus with bench minutes he WILL give the extra effort on D.

Phenomanul
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
I think we should sign him to a two year deal where he can show his value to other teams, and then (after two more championsips) he signs elsewhere (his last contract) for more money....

It's up to GRob at that point how he elevates his own value. But If I were him, I would stick around in a winning environment.

violentkitten
07-09-2005, 09:09 PM
yeah, it's looking as though he's not going to be as expensive as some here initially expected. sign him and scola and be done with the offseason.

Mr. Body
07-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I'd add Oberto to that, violentkitten.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 09:27 PM
the only problem with locking up glenn robinson for more than 1 or 2 years is that we still have not addressed the problem of a young SF project and our overall team will have been getting older....we need fresh young legs

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 09:43 PM
the only problem with locking up glenn robinson for more than 1 or 2 years is that we still have not addressed the problem of a young SF project and our overall team will have been getting older....we need fresh young legs

Can't they groom D. Brown to be the next defensive SF? He is a scorer at heart but he plays some good D. He has the size to face other good SF's in the league and he is still relatively young. Resigning him may solve our SF problems.

exstatic
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Brown is only 6'5" and shouldn't play more than spot minutes at the three. GRob is 3 years younger than Bowen, and could be a stopgap that allows time to find the young long 3.

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Brown is only 6'5" and shouldn't play more than spot minutes at the three. GRob is 3 years younger than Bowen, and could be a stopgap that allows time to find the young long 3.

It is only a 2 inch difference. I think he can do a great job at the 3. Malik is a 6'7 power forward that always did a pretty good job on most centers in this league. You can't just look at size.

exstatic
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Bruce is already undersized to play against some 3s like KG or Dirk.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think Devin is your next 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-09-2005, 09:56 PM
im the last person to diss brown but i dont think he is capable of serious SF minutes.....

people like rashard, kirelinko, etc will just shoot right over him

mattyc
07-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Would be good to keep, but he's got a ring now. I think he'll go somewhere else.

BehaviorDisorder
07-10-2005, 02:43 AM
I have always loved Glenn's game. his ability to put the ball in the basket is phenomenal.

My hopes are that he got a taste of what championship ball is all about and that he would take this offseason and comeback in the best shape of his career and have more of an impact on this team, perhaps even start in front of Bowen.

exstatic
07-10-2005, 10:34 AM
If he truly got a taste of championship basketball, he'll know that if healthy, Bruce is the starting three, and that his points are needed off of the bench, not in a starting lineup with Tim, Tony, and Manu.

Love to have you back, Glen, if you want another ring or two.

wildbill2u
07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
i sure hope people keep ignoring him like that, exstatic. remember a few years ago when every elite team seemed to have a bad ass bench scorer like bojax and nick the quick, etc

this guy can be such a weapon for us, plus with bench minutes he WILL give the extra effort on D.

A lot of the talk about his defensive effort came from the game where he got three blocks. Even Big Dog himself admitted that he mostly happened to luck into being in the right place at the right time.

That being said, he can score and if he continues to make an effort to learn and work the defensive system, he could contribute. A one or two year contract to let him prove himself to other teams before he signs his last contract before retirement wouldn't be too bad an exchange.

ducks
07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
if scola does not work out with his contract would you offer the whole mle to big dog for one year?

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Big Dog did well in limited minutes against Carmelo in the 1st round.

It's not that he has to be a great individual defender, but rather that he gets the team defense concept. Basically, that means he can do what he can to keep his man in front of him, challenge any shot, and if he gets beat, at least he gets his man going in the direction that's optimal for the defense (baseline and/or into the shotblockers).

ducks
07-10-2005, 11:32 PM
if scola does not come they could keep rasho and nazr and be ok....

bpl
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
what do you think is going to happen to glenn robinson?

pache100
07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
After all the wheeling and dealing, if they have room for him, they'll keep him. If not, buh bye. They don't have that much of an investment in him. I'd hate to see him go, but they should let him go if they can improve the roster.

DDS4
07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Probably Glenn's last chance to get a sizable contract. He'll probably look towards a bottom dweller that has money and will give him playing time.

You won't hear about him until the big name free agents are signed up.

SenorSpur
07-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I think he's going to find the market demand will not be what he'd hoped for. If he does want to come back, he'd better be ready to come back at a discount rate.

ALVAREZ6
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Who Cares.

spurjur
07-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I have to say that he really surprised me. I was a huge Big Dog fan when he came out of college. I even have an old Big Dog Bucks jersey. Its all small. I think I was like 12 or 13 when I purchased it. He showed he could come in and do what was asked. He even played good defense. I liked his attitude. There were many in the media that said he would work out after the games to try to get into shape. That says a lot.

strangeweather
07-12-2005, 04:25 PM
I'll be somewhat surprised if no one signs him to a moderate deal.

Still, if nobody else wants him, I'd love to resign him for the vet minimum. As we found out with Ferry and Kerr in '03, it's great to have some spare veterans on the end of the bench when the playoffs roll around.

Duncan21
07-12-2005, 04:27 PM
i think we should resign him, he would be a great player to come off the bench.

ReverendRob
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
He seemed to enjoy himself last year but I seriously doubt that anyone can get him for the vet minimum. He still considers himself to be a high level player and the situation here was just a chance to make a couple of bucks, repair the rep, show people he can still play and get a ring. When you look at all of the different things that could and did come out of playing for the Spurs, of course he was the good solider. No one will offer him a contract above the MLE and only a low performer left standing at the free agent altar with bags of money would give him an MLE level deal but he's going to get someone's table scraps. The "ok the best players are off the market and we've still got 3-4 million" team that might take a look at him. He's still got a lot more ball left in him than the guys who are left to sign the vet minimum.

Mr. Body
07-12-2005, 11:46 PM
The money seems to be vanishing all around the league, but he could help a contender should he keep the same attitude he had during the playoffs (minus that shove and technical during the Seattle series). The league seems to be washing itself with youth, while at the same time a lot of has-beens with game still left in the tank are available. What hurts Robinson most of all... Finley, Payton, Walker, Houston, are all guys available due to cap reasons. I wouldn't be surprised (and would be happy) to see him a Spur again next year. He could turn out a huge asset.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
So far, GRobinson does not seem to be drawing major interest in free agency. In a market in which a 28 year old Shareef Abdur-Rahim is going for MLE money, it seems as though the Spurs might have a shot at retaining Big Dog for next season and beyond.

Perhaps what went down in Philly is also having an impact on interest around the league in him. As a bit player for a contender, he's fine. But if you are thinking about committing more money to him, perhaps you have cause for concern.

Still, as more and more free agents go off the market and teams begin to fill out the rest of their rosters beyond the major pieces might interest in Big Dog pick up.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 10:01 AM
With the Oberto signing apparently taking $2.265 mil of the projected $5.0 mil MLE to accomplish, the Spurs will have $2.735 mil left to offer Big Dog a contract. Maybe if his stock has really declined that much in the NBA might the Spurs have a shot at retaining him. He already has one year of tenure with the Spurs, so he'd only need 2 more for the Spurs to have his full Bird rights. Perhaps a 3+ year guaranteed deal with a player option after the 2nd year could induce Big Dog to stay...

Ishta
07-15-2005, 10:38 AM
This should be a Vbookie...does he stay, or does he go...

tophy7
07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Bruce is already undersized to play against some 3s like KG or Dirk.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think Devin is your next 3.

When do they play the 3 spot?

ducks
07-19-2005, 06:06 PM
he should be one of the next ones to decide

BehaviorDisorder
07-20-2005, 03:52 AM
Glenn Robinson is not just a hell of a scorer, he's a hell of a basketball player. even though he didnt have the athleticism of a Grant Hill when they first came out of School, it did nothing to stop him from sticking 40pts on Sean Elliot back in the Bucks years.

I hope he takes whatever scraps are left on the table and signs with the spurs because dammit........HE OWES THE SPURS FOR THAT FREE RING HE EARNED.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Glenn Robinson is not just a hell of a scorer, he's a hell of a basketball player. even though he didnt have the athleticism of a Grant Hill when they first came out of School, it did nothing to stop him from sticking 40pts on Sean Elliot back in the Bucks years.

I hope he takes whatever scraps are left on the table and signs with the spurs because dammit........HE OWES THE SPURS FOR THAT FREE RING HE EARNED.

yeah exactly, with his game he can be soo solid for us if we have him for an entire season

if he takes less money to stick with us, then we're going to see the reawakening of big dogg and an even better spurs team than last year..