PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginóbili: "I feel at the same level as the last few years"

ElNono
10-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Manu Ginóbili: "I feel at the same level as the last few years"

At 35 years old, but in plenitude, the bahia man is getting ready to play his eleventh season in the NBA with the San Antonio Spurs.
By Juan Manuel Trenado

October 12, 2012

http://bucket.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/fotos/29/1605529w298.jpg

(http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/herramientas/nota/nota.fotos.aspx?nota_id=1517648&width=968&height=710)
At 35, Manu Ginóbili is in plenitude. He has a couple of days left at home without preseason games and he takes advantage of every minute with his family, but always keeping the schedule in his mind: "This weeked we're traveling to play in Miami and Orlando". About the french invasion that San Antonio is going through (besides Tony Parker and Boris Diaw, the team added Nando De Colo), he jokes: "For now, we're going to keep english as the main language, but we have three spanish speaking people, because De Colo has a spanish girlfriend and speaks spanish. And with Tiago, we're three".

"We're reminded that we're old... but I see Manu playing better every year that goes by". Luis Scola said that in Mar del Plata, back in 2011. And it didn't get old. Ginóbili was one of the best players in London 2012 and he's getting ready for his 11th season in the NBA.

- Not long ago you said the shelf life on players is extending. Is maturity a plus?
- I think it's not just maturity, but also science has made leaps. Players take care of themselves more and nowayadas it's more well known what needs to be done to extend the career of a player. It's a combination of many things. In the past it was impossible to think that a 38 years old player like Jason Kidd or Steve Nash could run what they run today. They take care of their body. Technology and scienece has also evolved a lot and complements everything.

- How do you take care of yourself?
- Rest. Be responsible on your free time. The diet is important, the workouts to avoid injuries, keeping up with the fitness aspect, and you also have people that takes care of you. At least in this franchise we're taken care of a lot. They try not to wear you out more than necessary. Pop is vert adamant in that aspect. Whenever he can he gives us the opportunity to rest.

- Personally, what's the challenge this season?
- The same as the past five. Keep on trying to help the team, but being healthy. Last year I had a great season but I missed 40 days in a 120 days season. That worked against me pretty badly and affected me psychologically at the beggining. I'm hoping not to have any setbacks and be able to play a full season without problems. I feel good. I think I can stay at the same level as the last few seasons. The key is to keep helping the team so it can stay among the top 6 in the league.

- Are you going to continue coming from the bench?
- I think so, like last season. Except for the first four games [he was injured afterwards], I was always a sub and I only started again in Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals. I think it's fine. I feel comfortable in that role and I suspect that's how it's going to be.

- After a good season like the last one, what can be improved on the team?
- Last season we were playing great and the arrivals of Stephen Jackson and Boris [Diaw] made us an even better team. But it was midway through an atypical season. Having them from day one to practice certain things we couldn't practice before is going to be much better. Last season we pulled it off because we're experienced and we know the game. But if you think about it, [Kawhi] Leonard almost didn't practice with the team. We had the lock-out, two preseason games and the season started. Now we all know eachother better. This is a season where we need to solidify everything better.

- You've been playing for over 10 years in teams with a stable structure. Not a lot of players can enjoy that.
- Agree completely. It's very difficult. I've been playing with Tim and Tony for eleven years, and in the national team, I started in '88 and since '89 I've been playing with Chapu, Luifa, Leo Gutierrez, Pepe was almost always there... We're talking a thirteen year career. It's strange and it's an accomplishment. That's why I decided against leaving San Antonio in the two opportunities I had to do so. It's a great family and I didn't want to leave. Sometimes you don't have an option, but I did, and I decided to stay and they decided not to let me go.

- It's the last year on your contract, but it seems different to other times when you had to renew. Without the anxiety.
- Yes, zero. The last two times there was some uncertainty and importance for different reasons. This is the less relevant of the three. The previous two times I wanted to renew as soon as possible, because I didn't wan to have my head into the whole contract situation. I wanted to get everything done as soon as possible. But the topic was floating around all the time. This year it doesn't even register in my head.

- So you haven't even talked about it.
- Haven't talked on the subject at all.

- Is it like a relationship with many years where there are things you don't even need to talk about to know things are on the right track?
- I would like to think so, like what happened with Tim last season. At no time there was any renewal talk. It was resolved in two days as soon as it was possible. But they didn't need to sign anything either. They got together, talked and arranged everything. I'm not hurried nor interested in talking about that.

- What teams do you think made the best moves this offseason?
- It's obvious there's two teams everyone is talking about. First, the Lakers. If you take a great team and you add Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, there's no room for doubts...

- Some people say the Lakers are lacking versatily from the bench...
- Same as before, but they were a very good team and they hired two players with enormous talent.

- And the other one?
- Brooklyn also made a lot of moves. Nobody knows what they can be like because they haven't played together yet. But they hired a lot of players [added, among others, Joe Johnson, Wallace, CJ Watson, Childress, Reggie Evans] and they could be a candidate for the playoffs. I would say they're among the top 4 in the East. And obviously Miami, that added Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. They have players like Wade and Lebron that know how to penetrate, so having good shooters is fundamental. And the ones they hired are not bad at all, right?

original article in spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1517648-manu-ginobili-me-siento-en-el-mismo-nivel-de-los-ultimos-anos)
translated by yours truly :D

Libri
10-16-2012, 12:23 AM
:tu

racm
10-16-2012, 12:44 AM
:toast

spurs10
10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Thank you very much man!

timvp
10-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks. Manu always comes with the goods in his interviews :tu

Manufan909
10-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Great article, and mad props on the translation. Does anyone have a link to the recent Buck Harvey interview by any chance?

dylankerouac
10-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Gracias.

pookenstein
10-16-2012, 03:36 AM
Thanks.

Spursfanfromafar
10-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Thanks, Nono.

benefactor
10-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks man for the article and thanks taking the time to translate it. Much better than those lazy ass frenchies who just copy/paste something in french.

silverblackfan
10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Always to good to hear Manu's thoughts. He and Tony are so damn honest and intelligent and it usually provides a few more glimpses into the Spurs thinking. Good stuff and great translation.
Thanks.

dunkman
10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Has been injured every season since '08, not sure if that's good news tbh.