PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson talks music, life and basketball. - SLAM Magazine

ace3g
10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
SLAM: What else are you still trying to accomplish in the League? What motivates you now?

Stephen Jackson: Well, the young guys motivate me now. Every time more young guys come into the League, I got to stay on my game because they’re coming for our spots. I’m always the guy that’s known for putting the young guys in they place (laughs). And these young these days, their talent is unbelievable. So I not only have to be ready to compete, but if I have young guys on my team, I have to be ready to be a mentor to them and show them the ropes just like Steve Smith and guys like that showed me. It’s a cycle: guys raised me in the League, and now it’s come to a point where guys are calling me ‘Uncle Jack’ now.

SLAM: Yeah, you’re kind of an old head in the League now. Could you have ever imagined you’d last more than a decade in the NBA?

SJ: You know what, man, I wouldn’t a said that. I couldn’t of told you I was gonna live to see 25. So to be able to say I’ve been in the NBA for 12 years now, to be able to have a lovely wife, six beautiful kids and it’s looking like a beautiful career in music, it’s been a blessing. I think I’ve been blessed because I’ve always been humble. What you see is what you get from me. I’m not trying to be something I’m not, and I’ve always given everyone the same respect they gave me. I think the game’s taken care of me because I’ve always played every game like it’s my last.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/10/stephen-jackson-interview-rap-music-basketball-spurs-life/

JRHernandez88
10-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for posting :wakeup

racm
10-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Ten seasons ago, Stephen Jackson was on the Spurs roster, a young buck... So much time has passed since :wow

ace3g
10-17-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcPklolC00&feature=player_embedded

The Stephen Jackson Academy

The idea came from a hurricane, from wind and rain and a storm surge that displaced residents and shuffled students from shuttered schools in Port Arthur, Stephen Jackson’s hometown.

The Gulf Coast community (pop. 53,818) was reeling in 2005 and Jackson, then an Indiana Pacer, was feeling its pain. Why not, he wondered, build his own school, a place where kids could learn and his family could help? A school where everyone could play ball until parents picked them up after work?

Judyette Jackson, Stephen’s mother, shared the vision. Jack, as the Spurs’ swingman is known, plunked down $500,000. He says Port Arthur agreed to invest another $500,000. And that’s the story behind the building at 235 Proctor Street. Hurricane Rita gave birth to the Stephen Jackson Academy.

The additional $500,000 never arrived so the academy remains incomplete. Jack had wanted a school, pre-kindergarten through fifth grade at first, with another grade added each year through 12th. But financial challenges and more hurricanes forced Jack and Judyette to adjust.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/121017_rodriguez_jackson

Arcadian
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Why was music the first thing listed? The order makes no sense. It should be "Stephen Jackson talks basketball, life, and a bit of music...but what does Stephen Jackson really know about music? Probably not much."