View Full Version : Free Agent: Fabricio Oberto

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.acb.com/fotos/8507_2_09690_2.jpg
Fabricio Oberto
Position: PF-C
Born: Mar. 21, 1975
Height: 6-10/ 208 cms.
Weight: 110 kgs./ around 245 pounds, don't know the exact conversion.
College: Argentina

If he accepts a low salary, he could be a great addition, if the Spurs choose to pass on Scola, or trade Rasho. Anyone who has watched international basketball for the past ten years, knows that he should be considered.

E20
06-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Has he declared himself for the draft?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Has he declared himself for the draft?

He's 30 years old. He finished his contract in Spain and is an unrestricted free agent.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
IIRC, he's too old (or otherwise ineligible) for the draft.

E20
06-26-2005, 09:10 PM
So if you're too old for the draft and not in a contract with anybody you can just sign with an NBA team if they decide to sign you?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
So if you're too old for the draft and not in a contract with anybody you can just sign with an NBA team if they decide to sign you?

If the player contract is within the team salary cap limits, I believe the answer is yes.

Marcus Bryant
Something like that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Yep.

Mark in Austin
06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Even though they would fill totally different roles, for me Oberto > Nachbar. I think I'd rather have three Argentinian gold medalists with a flex offense background than three Slovenians on the team. (No disrespect implied or intended to our Slovenian posters - just think they would fit the SPurs motion offense better.)

In fact, I'd sign Oberto over every other player Marcus has posted thus far, except for Glenn Robinson.

If you're the Spurs and have really decided on trying to extend Nazr, then I think it makes sense to bring in Oberto as the Backup big at 2-3 million per year and see what kind of legit long three you can get for Rasho.

An eventual 4-5 rotation of
Duncan
Mohammed
Scola
Oberto
Horry

would be pretty sick.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-26-2005, 09:45 PM
An eventual 4-5 rotation of
Duncan
Mohammed
Scola
Oberto
Horry

No disrespect to Rasho, TMass or Marks, but that would be very sick.

Mr. Body
06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Oberto would be a step up over Rasho. The guy's a hoss. I don't see us having too much money to throw at him, although I'd definitely take him over some twinkie SF like Bostjan Nachbar who won't give you anything. Oberto vs. Scola, though, you obviously take Scola.

Gummi
06-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm very high on Oberto. I would really like to see him with us next season. He's tall, well build and has alot of experience. He's an important role player for the Argentine national team which means he a good basketball player.

Bring him over if the price is right.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Assuming that the Spurs do not move one of their current centers, re-sign Horry and bring in Scola next season, the only room for Oberto would be on IR. Perhaps entering the NBA and being on the same squad as a couple of his fellow countrymen would be enough to make that bearable for him...

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Oberto would be a step up over Rasho.In what way?

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Is a hard nose player

Better than Rasho in
defense, rebounding, and good feet moves. Not much

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 03:06 PM
So he's automatically an NBA starting center?

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
No way

Is a good backup player, but not a starter...
and thatīs because of Nazr. Not Rasho

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 03:10 PM
But Rasho could start at center for over half the teams in the NBA right now. Would those teams sign Oberto with the same in mind for him?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Oberto would find room on this Spurs team in a season or two, assuming that the Spurs don't trade away any of their bigs in the interim. It could be a coup for the Spurs if they could get him signed now.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 03:40 PM
We are talking about the Spurs. And they sign Nazr because Rasho didnīt fit. Oberto could play for teams in the past (Indiana, Knicks) but since he has troubles with his agent and the Knicks then he fired his agent and decides to play in Europe.

I dont know if Oberto is better than Rasho, but maybe, for his style he could fit to the Spurs more than Rasho. One handicap to Oberto is that heīs less taller than Rasho but a lot quicker.

But if I could choose, I would choose Scola over Oberto any day of the week. Heīs younger and a has a lot of cap to improve and develop in a great low post player.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 04:14 PM
We are talking about the Spurs.I'm not.
And they sign Nazr because Rasho didnīt fit.Nope.
I dont know if Oberto is better than RashoThank you.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Again if Rasho is so good why the Spurs need Nazr?
How many MPG played Rasho in the Playoffs?
He was injured?
He was healed since the spurs played with the Suns!
The starter center is Nazr. If other teams think Rasho could be a starter ... then trade him and bring another backup center as he is now

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 04:21 PM
When a player plays in Europe somewhere, away from NBA audiences and NBA competition, people tend to get unrealistic expectations. There were many centers in Europe past few years about whom people said could easily start in the NBA, even considered them as one of the top centers in the world, but eventually when they came to the NBA they had to settle for back up roles or not even that. Rebraca and Nate Huffman were considered to be big players in the NBA and it hasn't worked out that way. Rebraca has an excuse with his heart problem but Huffman on the other hand ended up on the injury list in Toronto. They were both agile 7-footers and were more dominant in Europe than Oberto probably ever was. If it hasn't worked out for those two, i think it's too early to start calling Oberto better than someone who has started for two NBA teams in over 400 games.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 04:22 PM
He was injured? Yes, and Pop didn't want to mess with the rotation when he got back. It's not like he was putting up a double-double.
The starter center is Nazr.Says who? Training camp will decide that.
then trade him and bring another backup center as he is nowWhy?

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I donīt think in Oberto
To me, he is too old.

But I should trade Rasho and sign Dalembert any day of the week.

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 04:26 PM
I donīt think in Oberto
To me, he is too old.

But I should trade Rasho and sign Dalembert any day of the week.

Why Dalembert when you could sign Shaq?

MaNuMaNiAc
07-04-2005, 04:28 PM
When a player plays in Europe somewhere, away from NBA audiences and NBA competition, people tend to get unrealistic expectations. There were many centers in Europe past few years about whom people said could easily start in the NBA, even considered them as one of the top centers in the world, but eventually when they came to the NBA they had to settle for back up roles or not even that. Rebraca and Nate Huffman were considered to be big players in the NBA and it hasn't worked out that way. Rebraca has an excuse with his heart problem but Huffman on the other hand ended up on the injury list in Toronto. They were both agile 7-footers and were more dominant in Europe than Oberto probably ever was. If it hasn't worked out for those two, i think it's too early to start calling Oberto better than someone who has started for two NBA teams in over 400 games.
Yeah, lets not forget Rasho comes from Europe as well. If Rasho could manage, who's to say Oberto can not? The only problem I have with Oberto is his attitude, which suck I might add. Other than that, I could see him starting for an NBA team, I don't know about us specifically but there are other teams that could use him.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Nazr was the starter in the Playoffs.
Horry was the backup center (Horry!!).
Rasho just say played in garbage time at games 3 and 4.
Thatīs an starter center?
If I could choose a proven center then Iīll try to sign Dalembert or Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Much, much better scorer, defender and rebounder than Rasho and Oberto together...)

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, lets not forget Rasho comes from Europe as well. If Rasho could manage, who's to say Oberto can not? The only problem I have with Oberto is his attitude, which suck I might add. Other than that, I could see him starting for an NBA team, I don't know about us specifically but there are other teams that could use him.

I'm not saying he couldn't, i'm just saying it's not as easy as some people tend to imagine it.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Why Dalembert when you could sign Shaq?
Because Dalembert is a Free Agent

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Ditto with Ilgauskas

Karl Mundt
07-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Nazr was the starter in the Playoffs.
Horry was the backup center (Horry!!).
Rasho just say played in garbage time at games 3 and 4.
Thatīs an starter center?
If I could choose a proven center then Iīll try to sign Dalembert or Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Much, much better scorer, defender and rebounder than Rasho and Oberto together...)

Well i see you've thought this through. I agree, sign Ilgauskas to back up Nazr.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 04:38 PM
English might be your second language, so I'll just let you know that you can't use the words "Ilgauskas" and "defender" in the same sentence.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:44 PM
English is not my second language. Is Portuguese... :)

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Point taken.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:49 PM
:lol but if you are talking about Ilgauskas defense I still think heīs better than Rasho....

ChumpDumper
07-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Point ridiculed.

FoxMulder
07-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Check some stats man...

www.nba.com

Oh and I forgot it!
Ilgauskas is also an All Star Player...

Seru Giran
07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Oberto would be a step up over Rasho. The guy's a hoss. I don't see us having too much money to throw at him, although I'd definitely take him over some twinkie SF like Bostjan Nachbar who won't give you anything. Oberto vs. Scola, though, you obviously take Scola.

The thing with Fabricio is that he's dying to play in the NBA and given the fact that he would play alongside Manu and Luis it's really a no brainer for him. Not to mention going to the World Champs and playing under the hoop with the best ever, TimmyD, the Spurs have the leverage if they really want him on the team.
I'm not saying he'll play for free but I believe he'll be open to some reasonable discussions about money.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Perhaps...sign Scola to a contract starting at $2 to $2.5 mil, resign Glenn Robinson or another veteran to be the backup 3 with the remainder of the MLE and then sign Oberto using the $1.6 mil exception?

Rick Von Braun
07-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Bump

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Oh, yes, that's why I started this thread, I have great powers in my crystal balls...

:rolleyes :lol

T Park
07-14-2005, 05:28 PM
sign Scola to a contract starting at $2 to $2.5 mil, resign Glenn Robinson or another veteran to be the backup 3 with the remainder of the MLE and then sign Oberto using the $1.6 mil exception?

While this would be fantastic, does it happen??

Doesn't sound like it coming from Johnny Ludden.

Ya never know though.

sa_butta
07-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Oberto video I found from his website.
Go to Multimedia then video.
sorry if already posted.

http://www.fabrioberto.com/home.html

GrandeDavid
07-16-2005, 01:19 PM
English is not my second language. Is Portuguese... :)

E aí, cara!!! Então vamos conversar um pouco, rapaz! Vocę é brasileiro? De onde vocę é, meu?

picnroll
07-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Oberto video I found from his website.
Go to Multimedia then video.
sorry if already posted.

http://www.fabrioberto.com/home.html
I can see a lot of slipped picks and backdoor oops Manu to Oberto coming.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
The only problem I have with Oberto is his attitude, which suck I might add.

MaNuMaNiA, you've mentioned his attitude a couple of times in prior posts. Specifically, what's been his problem?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-16-2005, 05:46 PM
MaNuMaNiA, you've mentioned his attitude a couple of times in prior posts. Specifically, what's been his problem?

I'm not Manumania, but let me take a guess about what he's saying.

I don't think it is a problem, if Oberto is willing to play in the NBA. He easily gets carried away, whether it is in victory or defeat. He can insult the Serbian National Team and Fans, in every language he speaks after the 2002 controversial World Championships Final. He also can insult them Serbians after Manu's last second winning shot, or shout "son of a bitch" (in Spanish) to Stephon Marbury from the bench after the former injured him. He is emotional, but I never saw that showing those emotions affected his game. Since he is a rookie in the NBA, and he is used to talk with the refs in Europe, he will get a couple of T's this season.

manubili
07-16-2005, 05:52 PM
I can see a lot of slipped picks and backdoor oops Manu to Oberto coming.

That's a classic. Manu + Oberto = rock'n roll

bigbendbruisebrother
07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm not Manumania, but let me take a guess about what he's saying.

I don't think it is a problem, if Oberto is willing to play in the NBA. He easily gets carried away, whether it is in victory or defeat. He can insult the Serbian National Team and Fans, in every language he speaks after the 2002 controversial World Championships Final. He also can insult them Serbians after Manu's last second winning shot, or shout "son of a bitch" (in Spanish) to Stephon Marbury from the bench after the former injured him. He is emotional, but I never saw that showing those emotions affected his game. Since he is a rookie in the NBA, and he is used to talk with the refs in Europe, he will get a couple of T's this season.

Well, I'll cut him some slack for a while at least. It's not like Stephan Marbury didn't have it coming. And that Serbian "ethnic cleansing" offense isn't exactly very friendly either (I'm sorry, Serb posters, that was not nice).

All horrifically innapropriate kidding aside, this team could use some attitude at times. Hopefully he keeps it focused and doesn't go Rasheed Wallace on us.

hendrix
07-16-2005, 06:39 PM

I agree. I never saw his attitude as much as a problem. He's very competitive guy. He feels the game and if someone is pushing, he'll push back harder.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Scola>>>OBerto

Shawn, who plays for what country?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
explain how Scola isn't better then Oberto................exactly

Give me a fucking break. Several of us broke it down in the in the original Oberto signing thread, and all your sorry ass could contribute was that you saw Scola kick Oberto's ass when they played each other in the Olympics last year (which was an amazing feat seeings they were on the same team).

I'm not going to waste my time typing it out again, your dumb ass didn't comprehend it the first time - and that was with 10 pages of people hitting you over your air headed little skull with facts, stats, and observations.

Christ, it took you til' page 8 to figure out that they played on the same damn team.

Have a nice day, and like I said - check back in when you know who plays for what team without having to look it up.

timvp
07-16-2005, 07:20 PM
The only thing Scola does better than Oberto is score.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Where's the cloud between the silver lining here? The Spurs haven't lost Scola and they've gained Oberto in the process. Spurs fans were already counting on the Spurs adding a badass Argentine bigman who's been playing in Europe this offseason...and they've got that. In addition, the Spurs maintain Scola's rights and at age 25, it's not like his career is anywhere close to being over.

If the Spurs move one of their centers, as expected, within the year, the need for a center is greater than for that of another power forward.

The Oberto signing is exactly what the Spurs should be doing...continuing to capitalize on their ability to evaluate international talent as well as on their relationships abroad. I'd be very surprised if Ginobili did not have a hand in recruiting Oberto to join the Spurs.

So the Spurs get a talented center for 3 years and $7.5 mil. This could turn out to be a steal. Plus they maintain their rights to Scola.

Pretty fucking good.

King
07-16-2005, 08:08 PM
The rich get richer. That's about as good as you can sum it up.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Also, the Spurs have about $2.3 mil from their MLE, their $1.7 or $1.8 mil exception, Rasho or Nazr to trade, as well as Scola's rights to help them address the one position which is somewhat thin at the moment, the 3 spot.

If they elect to bring Scola in next summer or beyond, they will have their full MLE to do so.

Life is good for Spurs fans, even if they don't recognize it.

BigDiggyD
07-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Also, the Spurs have about $2.3 mil from their MLE, their $1.7 or $1.8 mil exception, Rasho or Nazr to trade, as well as Scola's rights to help them address the one position which is somewhat thin at the moment, the 3 spot.

If they elect to bring Scola in next summer or beyond, they will have their full MLE to do so.

Life is good for Spurs fans, even if they don't recognize it.

Yep.. its a lot of chips on the table to play with on a team that could stand pat and be the odds on favorite to repeat as champs. If its true that Scola would be easier to acquire next year, then this is probably the right move. The Spurs have been operating in a mode that trys to allow wiggle room to make adjustments year after year. They need to avoid overpaying and losing financial leverage as much as possible.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2005, 08:42 PM
But Marcus, Oberto got his ass kicked by Scola in the Olympics last year.

This move sucks[/Shawn Michaels]

BigDiggyD
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
But Marcus, Oberto got his ass kicked by Scola in the Olympics last year.

This move sucks[/Shawn Michaels]

Hey cut him some slack. He may have saw them playing 21 or HORSE before the game.

Plus if you own FIBA 2004 you can put them on any team you want :angel

TMSKILZ
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Shawnmichaels is gay!

Spurs košarka kultura
07-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Is Oberto's free throw really uglier that Shaq's? I'm not sure a I can fathom that.................seriously.

BigDiggyD
07-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Shawnmichaels is gay!

Marty Janetty rulz!!!!

caspian
07-16-2005, 10:33 PM
I've really never seen these guys (Oberto & Scola) play. How much upside are they proported to have? I remember Ginobili being so exciting to me because he was genuinely as athletic as you can ask, and you just knew he had major potential. I believe the same about Mahinmi.

Can someone in the know tell me what they think about these guys with respect to potential/upside? Are they peaking?...just beginning?...

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I've really never seen these guys (Oberto & Scola) play.

Just go to Fab's website (fabrioberto.com) and click on multimedia and check out some video of the dude in action.

Think a faster, smoother, healthier looking Vlade Divac.

caspian
07-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Just go to Fab's website (fabrioberto.com) and click on multimedia and check out some video of the dude in action.

Think a faster, smoother, healthier looking Vlade Divac.

Cool...yeah, I see what you're saying.

Scola's similar?

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Cool...yeah, I see what you're saying.

Scola's similar?

No, Scola is more offensive oriented. He's not as good a rebounder, defender, blocker, low post player as Oberto. What Scola has on Oberto is a nice shot from 15 out and freethrows.

Oberto is also a better passer.

caspian
07-16-2005, 11:18 PM
No, Scola is more offensive oriented. He's not as good a rebounder, defender, blocker, low post player as Oberto. What Scola has on Oberto is a nice shot from 15 out and freethrows.

I see. And what is Scola's particular draw then...that he's big (6'9"?) and can shoot?

Athenea
07-16-2005, 11:33 PM

Scola doesn't have low post game??? That's new!!! :oops