PDA

View Full Version : Goodell to recuse himself from Saints Bounty-gate appeal, hands it off to Tagliabue

lefty
10-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Roger Goodell to recuse himself from Saints Bounty-gate appeal, hands it off to Paul Tagliabue

By Josh Katzowitz | Blogger

October 19, 2012 1:51 pm ET

0 | Comment (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20606102/roger-goodell-to-recuse-himself-from-saints-bounty-gate-appeal-hands-it-off-to-paul-tagliabue#commentsAnchor)

For all the accusations of unfairness regarding the reality that commissioner Roger Goodell can suspend a player and then hear his appeal and the stubbornness with which the NFL has allowed this to occur over and over again, this tweet from the head of the NFLPA is incredible and surprising.

@DeSmithNFLPA

I have been in touch with Roger. He has formally notified me that he will recused himself. Paul Tagliabue will step in.

Smith is refering to the Saints bounty program, and this means that those who were accused of their involvement in the alleged bounty program -- Jonathan Vilma, Anthony Hargrove, Will Smith and Scott Fujita -- will not have to appeal their latest suspensions to the man who suspended them.Instead, they get Tagliabue, the former commissioner who will hear those appeals Tuesday in what the NFL says in a statement will "bring the matter to a prompt and fair conclusion."More from the NFL:
Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFLPA, Commissioner Goodell has the exclusive authority to hear appeals of discipline for conduct detrimental or appoint a designee to hear and decide an appeal. Commissioner Goodell consulted with NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith in several conversations before deciding to appoint another hearing officer for this case.

“I have held two hearings to date,” Commissioner Goodell said, “and have modified the discipline in several respects based on my recent meetings with the players. To bring this matter to a prompt and fair conclusion, I have appointed former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue to serve as the hearing officer for the upcoming appeals. Paul Tagliabue is a genuine football authority whose tenure as commissioner was marked by his thorough and judicious approach to all matters. He has many years of experience in NFL collective bargaining matters and an impeccable reputation for integrity.

Tagliabue, of course, was in Goodell's position from 1989-2006, so it wouldn't appear as though the NFL is completely interested in having an independent observer hear the appeals. But the fact Goodell is ceding power is, from what I can remember, unprecedented.

Clipper Nation
10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
He should recuse his job to Tagliabue while he's at it tbh....

LnGrrrR
10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
^ this

BRHornet45
10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
sons this comes as no surprise. this is what cowards do.

Malik Hairston
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
:lol BR biting the hand that feeds him, tbh..

Goodell appears to have sent orders to the officials the past few weeks, the Saints have been receiving embarrassing officiating in their favor..

Not a surprise from BR though..he constantly bashes Stern, neglecting the commissioner's donation of Anthony Davis to the Hornets, a potential franchise-saving move..

DeadlyDynasty
10-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I like BR, but he's just a dumb person. Not a bad person, just dumb.

Pelicans78
10-21-2012, 10:15 PM
:lol BR biting the hand that feeds him, tbh..

Goodell appears to have sent orders to the officials the past few weeks, the Saints have been receiving embarrassing officiating in their favor..

Not a surprise from BR though..he constantly bashes Stern, neglecting the commissioner's donation of Anthony Davis to the Hornets, a potential franchise-saving move..

No room to talk coming from a Spurs fan. That's like the pot calling the kettle a ------

Besides, the Hornets franchise was already saved before the lottery when Benson bought the team with a new lease that runs till 2025. Only a dumb fuck wouldn't know that.

Pelicans78
10-21-2012, 10:15 PM

Not as dumb as Malik Hairston.

BRHornet45
10-22-2012, 12:53 AM

guaranteed I not only have a higher IQ, education level, and net worth than you .... I've also been with more white women than you.

Jeff Van Gundy
10-22-2012, 01:10 AM
:lol

Malik Hairston
10-22-2012, 02:26 AM
guaranteed I not only have a higher IQ, education level, and net worth than you .... I've also been with more white women than you.

:lol do you complain about conspiracies when they don't answer your calls and texts, tbh?..

DeadlyDynasty
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
:lolOh, so you're just moonlighting as a retard online for fun, then?

DeadlyDynasty
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
:lol do you complain about conspiracies when they don't answer your calls and texts, tbh?..
:lmao