PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Consider Nash a European, who's better, him or Dirk?

irishock
10-21-2012, 12:21 AM
He's not even born in Canada, and his parents are Brits. Let's say if in an alternate world Nash was born and raised in England, came over to the NBA and is the same player that he is, does the Euro GOAT race tighten up between him and Dirk?

lefty
10-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Petro is the Euro GOAT

101 pts in a game

Lincoln
10-21-2012, 12:29 AM
No. Dirk won it as a number one with not that much help. Nash has had way more talented teams and couldn't advance past the conference finals (although not all his fault). That 05 and 07 Suns teams were stacked.

Lincoln
10-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Still a great player and one of the best pure offensive players of all time.

racm
10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Didn't Nash go to the WCF twice in a row? Of course both times he got upended by Duncan and Dirk.

rayjayjohnson
10-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Racist tbh

Lincoln
10-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Didn't Nash go to the WCF twice in a row? Of course both times he got upended by Duncan and Dirk.

he made it in 06 with Marion and Diaw (Amare was injured, that team overachieved big time) and in 07 with a stacked team.

mavs>spurs
10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
nash was good but i don't think he's on dirk's level..for starters dirk always had far less stacked teams, actually won a championship, and while i feel nash got robbed out of one, so did dirk. honestly, if 06 doesn't happen they probably don't have a psychological breakdown stemming from that in 07 either. then there's the injury in 2003 where we had a shot at beating san antonio..pretty sure we were up 2-1 when he went down. dirk could easily have more rings tbh. all he ever really needed was a defensive center which cuban would never get him bc he was too busy fawning over pg's. he got tyson by accident and had every intention of trading him by the deadline before he saw the way that team was performing.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 12:57 AM
He's not even born in Canada, and his parents are Brits. Let's say if in an alternate world Nash was born and raised in England, came over to the NBA and is the same player that he is, does the Euro GOAT race tighten up between him and Dirk?

No. Dirk is still a greater European-born basketball player.

DMC
10-21-2012, 01:08 AM
No. Dirk is still a greater European-born basketball player.

Hard to compare a PG to a 7 footer who shoots through the rafters and almost never misses. Nash has better court vision, damn near unmatched, but Dirk has his height and that one foot iconic fade away that no one can stop.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Hard to compare a PG to a 7 footer who shoots through the rafters and almost never misses. Nash has better court vision, damn near unmatched, but Dirk has his height and that one foot iconic fade away that no one can stop.

Fair point.

Still think Dirk is better, he actually won some hardware.

Nash should have won in 07. The Suns got screwed.

rayjayjohnson
10-21-2012, 01:40 AM

...except father time

racm
10-21-2012, 01:51 AM
he made it in 06 with Marion and Diaw (Amare was injured, that team overachieved big time) and in 07 with a stacked team.

The Suns were bounced in the second round in 07... WCF that year was the Jazz/Spurs

William Hung
10-21-2012, 01:54 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7397/dirknash2bcowboys.jpg

Juggity
10-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Nash should have won in 07. The Suns got screwed.

:cry screwed :cry

thunderup
10-21-2012, 01:57 AM
:cry screwed :cry

So they weren't screwed?

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:02 AM
So they weren't screwed?

They broke the rules, so no. They weren't :cry screwed :cry

They just lost.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:05 AM
So they weren't screwed?

No, they weren't, tbh..... "screwed" is what happened to Seattle, or what happened to the Spurs in the WCF last year, tbh....

thunderup
So that game (officiated by Donaghy) were Bowen mugged the shit out of Nash is lost in memory, huh?

racm
The Suns had no business losing home court in game 1.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:07 AM
So that game (officiated by Donaghy) were Bowen mugged the shit out of Nash is lost in memory, huh?

You mean the game that got Horry a 2-game suspension because Nash flopped into the scorers' table?

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:08 AM
No, they weren't, tbh..... "screwed" is what happened to Seattle, or what happened to the Spurs in the WCF last year, tbh....

Screwed or not screwed, Seattle had it coming. They were a city that was not capable of holding an NBA team. How hard is that for you to comprehend?

The Spurs got a lot of calls in the WCF. Almost every game they had an advantage with the officiating. The only game that wasn't a clear advantage from the officiating was the closer...go figure

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Since when did thunderfan take up the mantle of butthurt sunsfan anyway? :lol

Perhaps this behavior is a clue to the troll's identity

racm
10-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Screwed or not screwed, Seattle had it coming. They were a city that was not capable of holding an NBA team. How hard is that for you to comprehend?

The Spurs got a lot of calls in the WCF. Almost every game they had an advantage with the officiating. The only game that wasn't a clear advantage from the officiating was the closer...go figure

You truly are a homer. How many Harden flops got him to the line? How many times was Ibaka not called for a goaltend because he would be the Mark Eaton to Durant's Malone? How many offensive fouls did the Spurs get called for simply because they were in the WCF and they had no business being there?

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:10 AM
You mean the game that got Horry a 2-game suspension because Nash flopped into the scorers' table?

I'm referring to game 3, genius.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Screwed or not screwed, Seattle had it coming. They were a city that was not capable of holding an NBA team.
They held an NBA team for 40 years, I'm pretty sure they were capable.... It's not Seattle's fault that asshole Schultz sold the team to a bunch of oil cronies who were hell-bent on moving the team to OKC no matter what, tbh....

The Spurs got a lot of calls in the WCF. Almost every game they had an advantage with the officiating.
:lmao

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Since when did thunderfan take up the mantle of butthurt sunsfan anyway? :lol

Perhaps this behavior is a clue to the troll's identity

Trust me, I'm no Suns fan.

I'm just calling it as it is. The Spurs had no business being in the finals back in 2007.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm referring to game 3, genius.

Yeah, and you're conveniently ignoring Nash's flop in game 4...

racm
10-21-2012, 02:14 AM

I'm just calling it as it is. The Spurs had no business being in the finals back in 2007.

:cry Dirk got upended by Stephen Jackson
:cry Amar'e stood up
:cry the Spurs finished the postseason with a 16-4 record
:cry stole Presti

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:14 AM
You truly are a homer.
I'm calling it as it is.

How many Harden flops got him to the line?
How many free throw attempts did Ginobili and Parker get as a result of flopping?

How many times was Ibaka not called for a goaltend because he would be the Mark Eaton to Durant's Malone?
Several of those blocks were goaltends, but nothing to big to impact the outcome of a game. Stop crying.

How many offensive fouls did the Spurs get called for simply because they were in the WCF and they had no business being there?
Don't know. You do the research and come back to this thread.

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:15 AM

Which explains why they beat all four playoff opponents, including Phoenix (it didn't even take 7 games!), and swept the Cavs.

Yeah, they had no business being there :lol

racm
10-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm calling it as it is.

How many free throw attempts did Ginobili and Parker get as a result of flopping?

Several of those blocks were goaltends, but nothing to big to impact the outcome of a game. Stop crying.

Don't know. You do the research and come back to this thread.

Why are you even posting in a forum where you'll be eaten alive for having shitty takes?

Grow some thick skin.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Yeah, and you're conveniently ignoring Nash's flop in game 4...

No I'm not, it is what it is.

The Suns should have won game 3 that year. Winning game 3 would have helped the Suns win the WCSF. They would have destroyed Utah and Cleveland in route to their first title. They deserved it. I'm no Suns fan, just calling it how it should be called.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Why are you even posting in a forum where you'll be eaten alive for having shitty takes?

Grow some thick skin.

lol I have "shit" takes because you don't agree with them?

You're an ignorant dumbass.

You should grow some thick skin, you're the one that blew this thing out of proportion.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Which explains why they beat all four playoff opponents, including Phoenix (it didn't even take 7 games!), and swept the Cavs.

Yeah, they had no business being there :lol

Exactly, because the Suns should have represented the West.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:20 AM
Are all Thunderfans whiny homer bitches?

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:21 AM

Maybe if those dumbfucks didn't leave the bench, they would have made the Finals, tbh....

Oh, and by the way, the game you're whining about IS Game 4, the same one with Nash's flop, genius..... :lol

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:22 AM

But they didn't represent the west because the Spurs beat them :lol

"should have" this, that, etc. Fact is, the Suns just weren't as good as the Spurs, and they lost that series in less than the max number of games, which bears out that assessment of their inferiority.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Are all Thunderfans whiny homer bitches?
Are all Clipper fans this bitter?

Why are you so adamant in giving me a hard time?

Are you bitter because the Thunder will dominate the West this entire decade?

Sounds about right.

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:25 AM
But they didn't represent the west because the Spurs beat them :lol

"should have" this, that, etc. Fact is, the Suns just weren't as good as the Spurs, and they lost that series in less than the max number of games, which bears out that assessment of their inferiority.

If I'm following... knocking a team off in 6 games means they're not as good of a team since they didn't push the series to 7 games.

You're stupid.

You want to paint me as a homer? The irony.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Are all Clipper fans this bitter?
Why would I be bitter? This argument is about a Spurs/Suns playoff series that featured neither the Clippers nor the Stolen Thunder, dumbass... :lol

Why are you so adamant in giving me a hard time?
Because you have shit takes and are probably someone's mediocre troll....

Are you bitter because the Thunder will dominate the West this entire decade?
Son, just prepare yourself for LeClip James in 2014... :downspin:

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Why would I be bitter? This argument is about a Spurs/Suns playoff series that featured neither the Clippers nor the Stolen Thunder, dumbass... :lol
Right, then why are you in this thread? You're here trying to sidetrack me with your shit takes...when all I'm doing is having a convo with spur fans.

Because you have shit takes and are probably someone's mediocre troll....
Where do I have "shit" takes? You're just a dumbass who's bitter because I speak the truth (i'd imagine being a Clippers fan in a Western Conference dominated by the Thunder contributes to that bitterness). It's not my fault you like a mediocre franchise. It's not my fault you are a Clipper fan.

Son, just prepare yourself for LeClip James in 2014... :downspin:
Lebron would never join a shit franchise.

racm
10-21-2012, 02:33 AM
The Nash Suns never took the Spurs to seven games, tbh...

And Duncan's stat line in the clincher against the Suns in 2007... 24 points/13 rebounds/9 blocks.

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:34 AM
If I'm following... knocking a team off in 6 games means they're not as good of a team since they didn't push the series to 7 games.

Yes. That's correct.

If that Suns team had been as good as the Spurs team, they would have taken them to 7 games. Pretty self evident. If you want to see an example of evenly matched teams, look for the 2005 finals. 7 games.

The Spurs won the LOB, the Suns didn't, nor should they have based on the fact that they incontrovertibly lost in six games. Neal with it, son.

racm
10-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Right, then why are you in this thread? You're here trying to sidetrack me with your shit takes...when all I'm doing is having a convo with spur fans.

Where do I have "shit" takes? You're just a dumbass who's bitter because I speak the truth (i'd imagine being a Clippers fan in a Western Conference dominated by the Thunder contributes to that bitterness). It's not my fault you like a mediocre franchise. It's not my fault you are a Clipper fan.

Lebron would never join a shit franchise.

OKC will dominate the West? Last I heard they lost all of their games against playoff contenders after April 1 and before April 26.

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:35 AM
:lol Thunderfan reduced to repeating "Clippers are a shit franchise" over and over again, even though that just makes ChokeKC's losing franchise record against the Clippers even more embarrassing

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Yes. That's correct.

If that Suns team had been as good as the Spurs team, they would have taken them to 7 games. Pretty self evident. If you want to see an example of evenly matched teams, look for the 2005 finals. 7 games.

The Spurs won the LOB, the Suns didn't, nor should they have based on the fact that they incontrovertibly lost in six games. Neal with it, son.

Whatever man. Knowing this is a Spurs site, there are going to be homers like you and complete dumbasses that won't shut up (thanks for the heads up rayjayjohnson). Doesn't matter.

What matters:
Now,

Thunder > Spurs and any team in the West

Clipper Nation
10-21-2012, 02:38 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/014/018/LosAngelesClippers_display_image.jpg?1308018458

ChokeKC = f:lolcked

racm
10-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Whatever man. Knowing this is a Spurs site, there are going to be homers like you and complete dumbasses that won't shut up (thanks for the heads up rayjayjohnson). Doesn't matter.

What matters:
Now,

You finally said something I can't disagree with. What's holding OKC back is your coach. Peace.

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:42 AM

Until Harden signs somewhere else :lol

Although he did do a good job of disappearing in the finals, so maybe I should hope he sticks around in OKC

thunderup
10-21-2012, 02:43 AM
:lol Thunderfan reduced to repeating "Clippers are a shit franchise" over and over again, even though that just makes ChokeKC's losing franchise record against the Clippers even more embarrassing
lol using a small ass sample size to get to that conclusion. What an embarrassment to the usage of statistics. Your team will forever be mired in a quicksand of shit and there is nothing your fandom can do to argue your way out of it.

Thunder > Clippers and any team in the West

Raven
10-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Nash is neither european nor a winner.. he's a great shooter (top 5 all time) and one of the best passers ever, but he's simply a loser and that's it.. not expecting him to get better on D at 60 years of age, instead dirk improved a lot over the years, going from total D-scrub to decent and that made the difference..

Latarian Milton
10-21-2012, 09:08 AM
if nash was born in britain he would've become a football legend like his peers that include scholes, beckham, shearer etc... as a basketball player, however, he has never reached dirk's height and probably never will. dirk has a ring and is a better leader of the team. nash has superb creativity and an awesome vision of the court, but the fact that he doesn't play defense at all makes him a double edged sword

irishock
10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Thunder fan has no business on this forum.

Jodelo
10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Dirk, if this is still the topic...

purplengold
10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
i rather take 7 foot shooting guard over elite point guard wit no D

phoenix219
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
No. Dirk won it as a number one with not that much help. Nash has had way more talented teams and couldn't advance past the conference finals (although not all his fault). That 05 and 07 Suns teams were stacked.

'05? You mean '04 - '05, Nash's first year with a totally rebuilt team and new style or '05 - '06, when Amare was out the whole year and they relied on Tim Thomas and Boris Diaw in the post? Both were WCF years and both overachieved.

In '07 the team was stacked, but had to deal with Donaghy reffing games in that series and the issue with the cheap/hit suspensions.

The next season Kerr blew up the team before they even had a chance to redeem themselves (and the team was #1 in the West at the time of the Marion trade.)

Bad luck, bad management, bad timing, but not something you can hold again Nash.

racm
10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
:lol trading Marion for Shaq

Latarian Milton
10-21-2012, 09:37 PM
i rather take 7 foot shooting guard over elite point guard wit no D
where's da nigga talk bro?

purplengold
10-21-2012, 09:39 PM
where's da nigga talk bro?

watya mean

Juggity
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
In '07 the team was stacked, but had to deal with Donaghy reffing games in that series and the issue with the cheap/hit suspensions.

:cry suspensions :cry

CGD
10-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Dumb thread premise tbh. Why not just ask who is better, Dirk or Nash? Hey, everyone lets suppose that in an alternate universe Michael Jordan traveled to Europe once and magically gained German citizenship, whose the greatest German NBA player of all time? Oh wait sorry, I meant to say Larry Bird not Jordan, sorry!!

dunkman
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Isn't Nash African?

irishock
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Dumb thread premise tbh. Why not just ask who is better, Dirk or Nash? Hey, everyone lets suppose that in an alternate universe Michael Jordan traveled to Europe once and magically gained German citizenship, whose the greatest German NBA player of all time? Oh wait sorry, I meant to say Larry Bird not Jordan, sorry!!

You fucking idiot, Nash has stronger European roots than any other white NBA player who's from the US. It's not in an alternate universe so to speak.

irishock
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Isn't Nash African?

Chris Jericho was born in NY. He calls himself Canadian.

CGD
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Man if you want to compare two players who play completely different positions, predicate their respective offensives games on completely different things, and generally came to the game basketball from different backgrounds, then find a better comparison. If you want to ask who the most trancendent white player in recent history has been then just ask that. I'm not judging, and rather think it (and race generally) is an interesting topic in basketball. But trying to categorize based on one player's European parents' lineage is a tenouos foundation for your premise especially where the player was born in Africa and spent most of his formative years in Canada.

O.J. Simpson
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Why do you need to consider Nash a European before comparing the players? Why not just compare them?

Why is the OP a fucking idiot?