PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Time to admit: Hakeem was overrated

irishock
10-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Led the Rockets to a repeat only when Michael Jordan retired and the Lakers didn't get Shaq yet. He's a good offensive player but plays no D and doesn't get called out for it. Beat a cinderella Knicks team in 7 games and beat an immature Shaq.

purplengold
10-21-2012, 11:54 AM
He got dpoy twice n probably would have stopped Jordan least one year if he never left nba

RudyRay
10-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Really? Hakeem is the best big man I personally seen play and I've been watching the game since the mid 80's. Offensively he was better than Shaq, Ewing, DRob, Duncan, etc....

Defensively he was a beast as well. I hated the Rockets in the 90's because Dream always killed DRob in the low post...

mavs>spurs
10-21-2012, 12:32 PM
plays no D

:lmao he's actually arguably the best defensive player of all time in the modern era. when you break it down by numbers, only like KG comes close. jordan and pippen were great too but as swingmen their ability to impact the game on the defensive end is limited compared to an equal big man counterpart.

Koolaid_Man
10-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Really? Hakeem is the best big man I personally seen play and I've been watching the game since the mid 80's. Offensively he was better than Shaq, Ewing, DRob, Duncan, etc....

Defensively he was a beast as well. I hated the Rockets in the 90's because Dream always killed DRob in the low post...

:lol All time leader in Block shots...

but he did put that African "D" in D-Rob's ass :lol (no PUN)

Had Timmy met a prime Hakeem there would be no 4 Spur titles...Replace Shaq on the 3 peat team with Hakeem and they win 5 straight titles:

Kobe
Hakeem
Fisher
Fox
Horace Grant

whitemamba
10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Led the Rockets to a repeat only when Michael Jordan retired and the Lakers didn't get Shaq yet. He's a good offensive player but plays no D and doesn't get called out for it. Beat a cinderella Knicks team in 7 games and beat an immature Shaq.

http://gifsoup.com/view4/4130554/stephen-a-o.gif

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
:lmao he's actually arguably the best defensive player of all time in the modern era. when you break it down by numbers, only like KG comes close. jordan and pippen were great too but as swingmen their ability to impact the game on the defensive end is limited compared to an equal big man counterpart.

Rodman would have shut him down easy.

mavs>spurs
10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
lmao he regularly facefucked rodman's teams

Juggity
10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Replace Shaq on the 3 peat team with Hakeem and they win 5 straight titles:

2000-2002 Shaq might be better than prime Hakeem. For longevity, defense, etc, Hakeem is the better player in the long run.

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
The only reason Hakeem looked good was because of the hand checking shit going on that prevented guards from attacking the rim. Guy is a good 1 on 1 defender and blocks a shit load of shots but can't defend the pnr without handchecking for shit.

Duncan and Shaq didn't come along yet, either guy would shit on Hakeem any day of the week.

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
LOL Thinking Hakeem would 5peat with Kobe :lol

whitemamba
10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
2000-2002 Shaq might be better than prime Hakeem. For longevity, defense, etc, Hakeem is the better player in the long run.

this. shaq was never known for his defense, just his dominance in the paint. The Dream was all about the Defensive end as well as offense.

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Ben Wallace, Rodman, Garnett, Howard, Duncan, all better than Hakeem on D.

whitemamba
10-21-2012, 02:10 PM

except i dont think anyone of those guys would of been able to gaurd hakeem

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:12 PM
The nigerian would've been crapped on if he ever saw 2003 Duncan and 2001 Shaq. Too bad he was too busy being a scrub on the raptors:lol

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Honestly Kobe Bryant is higher on the all time list than the nigerian. At least he won 5 rings when the league was stacked with stars unlike 1994

purplengold
10-21-2012, 02:18 PM
you fuckin wit us ain't ya

whitemamba
10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.
—Michael Jordan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jordan)

mavs>spurs
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Wallace has comparable defensive metrics and actually slightly beats out hakeem for about a 3-4 year window as what hakeem did for about 8-9 years..except hakeem averaged more blocks at his peak because of his height and this also allowed him to be the better 1 on 1 defender where ben could sometimes struggle down low 1 on 1 against bigger guys. Dwight howard puts up somewhat similar numbers but has yet to even match hakeems best handful of years even once..duncans aren't quite as good as the dream who was more mobile than duncan and a better perimeter defender anyway and lastly only Garnett comes close and actually probably slightly nudges Dream.

irishock
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.

That's because he's never faced Hakeem. The GOAT himself doesn't even know how big of a shit he'd take on Hakeem if they met in 94 and 95.

baseline bum
10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
ROFL

FYM
10-21-2012, 03:02 PM
:lol

007nites
10-21-2012, 03:28 PM

benefactor
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
ROFL

Koolaid_Man
10-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Yep...MJ said his top 5 all time is:

MJ
Hakeem
Magic
Bird
*Pippen...

* we all know he'd replace Pippen with Kobe but it's just not the PC thing to say :lol

Koolaid_Man
10-21-2012, 03:50 PM
That's because he's never faced Hakeem. The GOAT himself doesn't even know how big of a shit he'd take on Hakeem if they met in 94 and 95.

Name for me a center that MJ ever faced that was at Hakeem's skill level...he shitted on Ewing and all the titles he won he never faced a guy like that African...that African was a cold muthafucker...

Koolaid_Man
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
The nigerian would've been crapped on if he ever saw 2003 Duncan and 2001 Shaq. Too bad he was too busy being a scrub on the raptors:lol

A prime Duncan or Shaq didn't simply have the foot speed to stay with a Prime Hakeem...also Hakeem had too many moves and his jumper was like a point guards..the day that Timmy or Shaq could shot that rock and defend the basket like that African...then come holla at me :lol

Juggity
10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Name for me a center that MJ ever faced that was at Hakeem's skill level...he shitted on Ewing and all the titles he won he never faced a guy like that African...that African was a cold muthafucker...

MJ faced Hakeem a bunch of times and never dropped less than 22 points on him

Link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=jordami01&match=game&year_min=&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=CHI&opp_id=HOU&is_playoffs=N&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_G=&pos_is_GF=&pos_is_F=&pos_is_FG=&pos_is_FC=&pos_is_C=&pos_is_CF=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts)

LkrFan
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
ROFL

Very entertaining thread, tbh. But yeah, :rollin:lmao:rollin

Leetonidas
10-21-2012, 04:52 PM
is this real life?

Medvedenko
10-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't wait until the young fans start saying mj is overrated in a few years.

lefty
10-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Hakeem is the best C ever IMO

I dont give a fuck if Wilt scored 1000000 pts in a game or averaged 50 rbds/game, Dream would make him dizzy in a jiffy

baseline bum
10-21-2012, 06:06 PM

They're called Kobe fans.

AussieFanKurt
10-21-2012, 06:08 PM
This surely is a troll thread but I don't think Iris is a troll.. confused. It's hard to be the record holder in blocks and be shit on D plus the multiple DPOY

DMC
10-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Hakeem was not overrated. No one who's retired now is overrated by the other retired players. Maybe the games you saw didn't impress you or you have short term memory, but Hakeem would destroy any center in the league today, no questions asked.

monosylab1k
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
They're called Kobe fans.

scanry
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM

irishock
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
This surely is a troll thread but I don't think Iris is a troll.. confused. It's hard to be the record holder in blocks and be shit on D plus the multiple DPOY

I'm neither a troll or making a troll thread. All i'm doing is speaking the truth, that a guy like Hakeem shouldn't be considered as better than Duncan and Shaq.

mavs>spurs
10-21-2012, 09:06 PM
dream would dreamshake big shitty so hard his little wang would flop one way and his body would flop the other :lol

Latarian Milton
10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
we not talkin' bout steve nash, are we? hakeem plays no D and he was like the all-time leader in rebs and the runner up in blocks, is that even possible? i don't like the rockets nor the H-town which's the dumbest major US city imho but you gotta show some respect to hakeem tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
10-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Yep...MJ said his top 5 all time is:

MJ
Hakeem
Magic
Bird
*Pippen...

* we all know he'd replace Pippen with Kobe but it's just not the PC thing to say :lol

And MJ has sure shown a penchant for evaluating talent.

TE
10-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Give me some of what you're smoking.

Kidd K
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
He got dpoy twice n probably would have stopped Jordan least one year if he never left nba

I don't agree. Jordan won 6 times in a row when playing the full season, and beat much better teams than the Rockets en-route to every single one of those 6 times.

When you look at 1991-1998, the worst two champions were Hakeem's two Rockets teams by a wide margin. The worst losing teams were very arguably the two teams Hakeem beat for the title.

So to say Hakeem, captaining the worst two championship teams in an 8 year span, would've beat the best championship team in that span, is ludicrous.

Especially when you consider that the best Bulls teams were from 92-93 and '96. Literally book ending Hakeem's titles. That's because those were Jordan's peak years. Hakeem would've beat peak Jordan? Gimmie a break. . .only happens if Jordan got hit by a car before the series.

Rodman would have shut him down easy.

Rodman was guarding Hakeem a lot of the time in the series Hakeem lit up the Spurs. He gets no blame for Hakeem going off even though Hakeem pretty much scored 2/3rds of his points on him. So no, Rodman wouldn't have shut him down since he's a massively overrated defensive player who frequently didn't contest shots because he wanted that extra second or so to get in position for another rebound. Kevin Love does the same shit. Stay in front, rarely contest (or contest weakly), get the rebound.

except i dont think anyone of those guys would of been able to gaurd hakeem

I would take my chances with a prime Duncan guarding him. He doesn't bite on fakes for blocks very often like the other 4 do, and is taller/longer than Hakeem. Hakeem would shit on Howard, KG, and Rodman though. Not sure about Wallace, but probably would shit on him too since imo he's worse defensively than Robinson was.

Of course, Hakeem's offense beating other people's defense doesn't mean anything in relation to their defense being arguably better than Hakeem's offense. Hakeem couldn't stop Hakeem either. He'd shit on a clone of himself too.

Killakobe81
10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
It takes a huge leap to say MJ would of won 5 straight titles. You could see how much winning those first 3 and he was in his prime and the best player by far. I think they 4 peat in 94 but if dream and drexler team up still I like the Rox in 95, MJ or not. I do agree that the 94 finals was weaker and more boring than the series with spurs nets even though people give the Spurs shit.

Malik Hairston
10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Hakeem is rated accurately by the media and other players, but he's probably overrated on the Internet, tbh..

mavs>spurs
10-22-2012, 05:32 PM
on the flip side, op's momma was pretty underrated back in her day actually man that bitch can go

Koolaid_Man
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
dream would dreamshake big shitty so hard his little wang would flop one way and his body would flop the other :lol

real talk...you may not realize it because you do it so often..but for a white racist you sure are riding the BLACK / AFRICAN MAN's DICK like WHITE ON RICE...

go ahead lil homie do ya thug thizzle :lol

Pelicans78
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
LOL calling the Knicks a cinderella team. They were 2nd in the East that season. Irishock continues to prove what a dumb fuck he is.

TDMVPDPOY
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
those 2 finals years....ppl think he played like that his whole career...

baseline bum
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
those 2 finals years....ppl think he played like that his whole career...

xQe0fFakJr0

William Hung
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
lol fail thread

baseline bum
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
:lol fail decade+ in Houston
:lol Enron
:lol worse air than Los Angeles
:lol perpetual 9-seed
:lol taking cheap Chinese crap with your #1 pick
:lol had two good point guards a couple months ago and now have a massively overpaid Lin instead
:lol Omer Asik's contract
:lol Astros

Latarian Milton
10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
and they created a thread saying this just a few hours later tbh

djohn2oo8
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
:lol fail decade+ in Houston
:lol Enron
:lol worse air than Los Angeles
:lol perpetual 9-seed
:lol taking cheap Chinese crap with your #1 pick
:lol had two good point guards a couple months ago and now have a massively overpaid Lin instead
:lol Omer Asik's contract
:lol Astros

:lol Texans our saving grace

djohn2oo8
10-23-2012, 10:17 AM
LOL Les Alexander
LOL les Alexander's laugh

3_CF3tALIuI