PDA

View Full Version : I learned something new today regarding red dye/food coloring

Blake
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Claim: The food colorants cochineal and carmine are made from ground bugs.

TRUE

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2001]

There is a book out very recently that claims the red color of strawberry milkshakes comes from a tropical beetle ground up for its red coloring.

Origins: Next time you're browsing the supermarket in search of the makings of that night's dinner, pause a moment to read the ingredients labels of your favorite red-colored ingestibles and cosmetics. Chances are, you'll discover a notation for cochineal, carmine, or carminic acid, pigments whose origins might surprise and possibly disgust you.

Cochineal and its close cousin carmine (also known as carminic acid) are derived from the crushed carcasses of a particular South and Central American insect. These popular colorants, which today are used to impart a deep red shade to fruit juices, gelatins, candies, shampoos, and more, come from the female Dactylopius coccus, an insect that inhabits a type of cactus known as Opuntia......

Blake
10-22-2012, 10:10 AM
....... Another red dye used in foods, FD&C Red Dye #40 (alternatively known as Red #40), is often mistakenly assumed to be a euphemism for cochineal or carmine. It's not — it's bug-free and is actually derived from coal.

Our distaste at the thought of ingesting bugs is based on cultural factors rather than the properties or flavors of the insects themselves. Western society eschews (rather than chews) bugs, hence the widespread "Ewww!" reaction to the news that some of our favorite foods contain insect extract.

In March 2012, Starbucks was on the receiving end of that type of visceral reaction after it came to light that the colorant used in its Strawberries & Creme Frappuccino mix was cochineal. Starbucks asserted the switch to cochineal was part of a move away from artificial ingredients, an explanation that did little to endear the coffee giant to vegans. (The following month, the company announced it would be transitioning the red dyes used in their products from cochineal extract to tomato-based lycopene.)

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp

Summers
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
We have cochineal in Texas... they're the white, cottony puffs on prickly pear cacti. If you squish them on your fingers, you get a deep purply red dye. A European species of this insect (I believe they're scale insects, not beetles) was responsible for the British Army's red coats.

cantthinkofanything
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't understand why they have to color up the stuff anyway. I cold care less if my Doritos are orange or red or whatever.
Although, I'd much rather eat the insects than the chemical stuff.

Blake
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM

I would too. That red #40 that's in a lot of stuff is coal based.

Wild Cobra
10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Blake...

How old are you? That's been common knowledge for a very long time. Just not spoke of much.

InRareForm
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
lol it's funny we have a society worried about cochineal color, but not the real bad preservatives, GMO's and simply just too much sugar.

People need to really stay away from Caramel Color Class IV and III That's the real bad coloring that is in our foods and drinks that can cause health effects.

Fat boy
10-22-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't understand why they have to color up the stuff anyway. I cold care less if my Doritos are orange or red or whatever.

Haven't you ever heard that we eat with our eyes too!? It probably wouldn't matter to me either but I prefer my cheetos to be cheese colored rather than be black.

Blake
10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Blake...

How old are you? That's been common knowledge for a very long time. Just not spoke of much.

Obviously not old enough to know everything in the history of common knowledge

ChumpDumper
10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Haven't you ever heard that we eat with our eyes too!? It probably wouldn't matter to me either but I prefer my cheetos to be cheese colored rather than be black.Oh, wow -- you just discovered a whole new niche market. Goth snack food. Emo-itos.