PDA

View Full Version : MBTF: ”I didn't ask for the Longhorn Network

Blake
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
AUSTIN (AP) -Texas coach Mack Brown once welcomed the Longhorn Network. Now he sounds like he’d rather do without it.

Brown complained Monday about his weekly time commitment to produce three shows, the network’s access to practice and the tips opposing coaches may get from watching it.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/22/mac-brown-i-didnt-ask-for-longhorn-network/

ChumpDumper
10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, opposing coaches watching the Longhorn Network could find out that UT has a shitty defense.

Mack just made himself a whole mess of trouble with that whining.

DesignatedT
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
:lol "MBTF"

ThePop
10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Watching receivers catch tennis balls sure helps opposing coaches.

symple19
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Sooooooooooooooo, he's looking for a scapegoat...got it

ColinB
10-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Pretty pathetic on Mack's part.

Sisk
10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Frank Schwab ‏@YahooSchwab
(https://twitter.com/YahooSchwab)In real life terms, if a VP of a struggling TV network publicly said its biggest advertiser was why it was failing, he's canned. Like, now

(https://twitter.com/YahooSchwab)Here's what I keep thinking, about Mack Brown/LHN. Forget the whining. Dude just ripped a $300 million business partner of UT-Austin.

(https://twitter.com/YahooSchwab)Common sense tells me that if you make a $300 million business partner a perceived enemy by publicly blaming them, you get fired. Right?

Also, :lmao

monosylab1k
10-22-2012, 09:47 PM
When there's no one left to coddle Mack, Mack has to coddle himself.

Kermit
10-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Maybe there's hope yet that Deloss will fire him.

ThePop
10-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Maybe there's hope yet that Deloss will fire him.

1% chance

That may be too high

pkbpkb81
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I really hope Mack stays on at ut forever

BUMP
10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
sup pk? are you still harassing dark skinned people in the rectangular area under the rim?

pkbpkb81
10-25-2012, 04:12 PM
sup pk? are you still harassing dark skinned people in the rectangular area under the rim?

lol how did you know about that?

BRHornet45
10-25-2012, 09:26 PM
AUSTIN (AP) -Texas coach Mack Brown once welcomed the Longhorn Network. Now he sounds like he’d rather do without it.

Brown complained Monday about his weekly time commitment to produce three shows, the network’s access to practice and the tips opposing coaches may get from watching it.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/22/mac-brown-i-didnt-ask-for-longhorn-network/

oh boo fucking hoo ... sons this overrated, lazy bastard is getting paid over $5 million to "coach" a football team. do your fucking shows and shut up bitching.

Kermit
10-26-2012, 09:00 AM
oh boo fucking hoo ... sons this overrated, lazy bastard is getting paid over $5 million to "coach" a football team. do your fucking shows and shut up bitching.
He doesn't coach shit.

Vito Corleone
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Let's not forget that he is also probably getting paid to do those shows.

Mack stopped coaching this team back in 2009 but forgot to tell anyone. He is revitalized, that's because he is on contract for about 50 million. The dude is an Anchor to this team and either needs to make changes in the mirror or get out.

Blake
05-18-2015, 02:58 PM
".... because it's the worst television programming decision in ESPN history. The Longhorn Network has already cost ESPN tens of millions of dollars, and that cable money pit appears to have no end in sight. Sure, no one is watching. But even worse, no one is complaining because they aren't able to watch. The Longhorn Network proves that in today's sports marketplace, there's no room for single-team channels.

Despite all the pronouncements about how it was going to change college sports forever, in the end the Longhorn Network was all hat, no cattle."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115

brutal scuds fired at the LHN here.

DMX7
05-18-2015, 04:10 PM
I heard Clay Travis is an SEC tool.

Blake
05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
And he works for Fox.

But I didn't see anything in that piece that might not be true

Vito Corleone
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Fox was in a huge bidding war for the rights to the LHN before ESPN won it. And very recently Time Warner offered really big money to ESPN to buy it.

If you don't get the LHN it's because you don't want it. It's on Dish and Direct TV, it's on most of the major cable providers. I had it with AT&T and I"m pretty sure it's also on Time Warner. I'm not sure about Comcast but if you have satellite you can get the LHN.

I think the Fox dude is down playing it because he has an agenda, and even if it doesn't work, it's still a smart move by the University. And if/when it dies you can expect round 2 of who is going to woo the Longhorns out of the Big 12. And yes aggsys the SEC will be front and center trying to pull them out away from the Pac 12 or the Big 10.

Im personally pulling for Texas to join the ACC myself.

Kermit
05-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Who gives a shit?

Blake
05-19-2015, 12:52 AM
It's fascinating imo

DMX7
05-21-2015, 02:58 PM
At the end of the day, Texas is getting paid.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm a little surprised at how relatively well the other Big 12-4+2 schools did selling their tier three rights. Hell, even Iowa State has its own cable channel.

Blake
05-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Yeah, pretty surprising for Iowa St and even Kansas, imo.

if they did a show of hands today, I wonder how many schools would go for a conference network? maybe half?

ChumpDumper
05-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Guess it kind of depends on what kind of exposure each school values. Cyclone TV is only available on cable in Iowa and on the internets, but its all Cyclones all the time. That certainly makes scheduling and local marketing easier, and I'm not sure the Big 12 could merit multiple subchannels like the Big 10 and Pac 12.

Shit, I'm watching the AAC baseball tournament right now on their Roku channel. There are so many ways to skin the cat now.

DMX7
05-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Guess it kind of depends on what kind of exposure each school values. Cyclone TV is only available on cable in Iowa and on the internets, but its all Cyclones all the time. That certainly makes scheduling and local marketing easier, and I'm not sure the Big 12 could merit multiple subchannels like the Big 10 and Pac 12.

Shit, I'm watching the AAC baseball tournament right now on their Roku channel. There are so many ways to skin the cat now.

Of course, networks probably aren't paying those schools $15 million per year. Moreover, being on tv throughout the state of Texas means more than being on TV throughout the state of Iowa given that Texas has 2 of the top 10 Nielsen tv markets and 4 top 40 Nielsen tv markets. I think it was a mistake from the beginning for ESPN to try to make LHN a national channel. It should have tried to make it a regional channel and given people outside the region the option to buy it as part of a premium sports package.

DMX7
05-23-2015, 01:43 PM
How many people outside of the SEC region are really watching that network?

Vito Corleone
05-23-2015, 01:58 PM
How many people outside of the SEC region are really watching that network?

I've had the channel since it started and I haven't watched one minute of it. Then again, outside of the NBA playoffs, and Texas football I don't watch much other sports.

DMX7
05-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I've had the channel since it started and I haven't watched one minute of it. Then again, outside of the NBA playoffs, and Texas football I don't watch much other sports.

...and you're in "SEC Country", lol.

Blake
05-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Of course, networks probably aren't paying those schools $15 million per year. Moreover, being on tv throughout the state of Texas means more than being on TV throughout the state of Iowa given that Texas has 2 of the top 10 Nielsen tv markets and 4 top 40 Nielsen tv markets. I think it was a mistake from the beginning for ESPN to try to make LHN a national channel. It should have tried to make it a regional channel and given people outside the region the option to buy it as part of a premium sports package.

How would it be a mistake? It's not like longhorn network is expensive outside the Texas region:

".... all of the national subscribers outside the state of Texas -- that's roughly 13.5 million subscribers -- are paying $0.02 a month, or $0.24 a year, for the Longhorn Network...."

DMX7
05-23-2015, 03:52 PM
How would it be a mistake? It's not like longhorn network is expensive outside the Texas region:

".... all of the national subscribers outside the state of Texas -- that's roughly 13.5 million subscribers -- are paying $0.02 a month, or $0.24 a year, for the Longhorn Network...."

That's what they're paying now. But they screwed up the launch of the network by trying to force that channel on tv providers as a national channel on nearly the basic channel package. The tv providers wanted the channel but only as a premium channel -- which is what caused all the problems and screwed up the launch.