06-26-2005, 11:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_eddie_griffin.jpg

Position: F
Born: May 30, 1982
Height: 6-10 / 2,08
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College : Seton Hall '04

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eddie_griffin/index.html?nav=page

Eddie is a reclamation project, but did well this year in Minnesota. Talk about a compliment to Duncan: he rebounds (7 per), he blocks shots (1.7 per game), and he hits the three (even had a game where he hit 7 of 'em).

MI21
06-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Yep, would be a fantastic backup 3/4. Would be the kind of player the Spurs have never really had at a young age.

His game reminds me of a young Horry with better shotblocking and less clutchness. Loves to shoot the 3, probably a little to much and doesn't have much of an interior game. Can finish around the hoop though because he is long and can jump. Decent defender and as mentioned, a fantastic shotblocker.

The main worry would be the drug problems, which lead him to be out of the league for a while. He is the sort of person that could perhaps excel in a "Popovich Regime" but I would believe it when I see it. I would expect him to get some decent offers out of the Spurs price range, that's even if he was on the Spurs radar.

timvp
06-27-2005, 12:07 AM
sickdsm says that he's a horrible defender and I trust his judgement.

He wouldn't be bad for a long-term replacement for Horry, but I don't know if Griffin has the character to wait.

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
does he have the character to last a Popovich training camp??

No thanks, way too much baggage.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Too much baggage?

People said the same about Stephen Jackson, and Glenn Robinson this year.

LJ - I'm skeptical of SickDSM's opinion. Eddie Griffin became every Wolves' fan's favorite to blame this season, when half the time the guy wasn't even getting to play.

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:18 AM
stephen Jackson and Glenn Robinson didnt bust out guns I dont believe......

nor did they have mental problems either.

Horry For 3!
06-27-2005, 12:56 AM
He is a pretty good player his game sucked but he really improved this year with the Wolves. He used to be with the Rockets. I believe he was drafted by the Rockets.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 01:04 AM
stephen Jackson and Glenn Robinson didnt bust out guns I dont believe......

nor did they have mental problems either.

What ever happened with that case?
Griffin shot a girl at his house, right?
Why isn't he in jail .. what did I miss in that story?

T Park
06-27-2005, 01:06 AM
I believe he shot AT a girl, dont remember, probation and a slap on the wrist Im sure.

Believe he saw a shrink as well.

Hell New Jersey signs him, and he never shows up...

slayermin
06-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Eddie Griffin would be a nice pickup. I don't think Pop would bring him in unless he was willing to play his role.

Probably a pipe dream but I would love to see him in silver and black.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 11:57 AM
A guy like him is looking for minutes so he can get his career back on track and get paid. I don't see him interested in getting 15 or less a night in SA next season.

SenorSpur
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
With his drug and criminal history - he'd be a huge risk.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
With his drug and criminal history - he'd be a huge risk.

That's somewhat of a strike against him, but that's not the be and end all as far as the Spurs are concerned. What would be a concern would be if he isn't over it.

I just do not see him as being interested in being a bit player right now. There's a team out there, be it the Hawks or Clips or someone else with the minutes and cash he is looking for.

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
That's somewhat of a strike against him, but that's not the be and end all as far as the Spurs are concerned. What would be a concern would be if he isn't over it.

I just do not see him as being interested in being a bit player right now. There's a team out there, be it the Hawks or Clips or someone else with the minutes and cash he is looking for.

Wasn't he the player that got a short jail time the other day for violating his probation by hanging out in a bad place with bad characters. I think he was at a notorious club when it was raided or something.

Maybe not a smoking gun, but the damn thing was still warm. :smokin

Ocotillo
07-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Pop and company have had a number of reclamation projects and a fair number have done well. Thing is, I think they are still careful about the character of the person they go after. I beleive the last time Pop signed someone that had had drug or legal issues was Vernon Maxwell and I think that became a lesson.

The reclamation projects have generally been guys with bad attitudes rather than actual thugs. There is a reason why this team has the character it does.

Griffin's troubles may be behind him but I would be suprised to see the Spurs take a gamble on that.

sickdsm
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Too much baggage?

People said the same about Stephen Jackson, and Glenn Robinson this year.

LJ - I'm skeptical of SickDSM's opinion. Eddie Griffin became every Wolves' fan's favorite to blame this season, when half the time the guy wasn't even getting to play.

The guy shot 25% from the 3 pt line after the first 18 games.

TWENTYFIVE PERCENT. You can pretend he's Horry or Rasheed ready to nail a dagger any time you need it but i can pretend Paris Hilton didn't get a breast implant too. He threw up a three every 7.3 minutes. Its different if you making, oh say 48 % (including on pace to set the record most of the year) but even Hoiberg didn't get a chance to shoot that often. Freddy launched one every 8.8 minutes. I was estatic when he started the year hot, but then i soon realized that FLAT shot wasn't going to reappear. The guy has no arc on his shot. He's content to miss open threes. Hell, I bet Okur or LaFrentz has a younger brother.

What REALLY pisses me off was that Griffin and Hoiberg ended up playing a LOT together. Griffin slid in at the four, KG to the five and freddy was the sg later on in games. There is no excuse why when the ball swung around that it would consistantly stop with griffin and not Hoiberg.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
The thing is, would Griffin be willing to spend most of a season riding IR like Jack did?

Then again, I don't think that Jack carried the type of baggage that Griffin does. Jack just had a tough life growing up.

exstatic
07-20-2005, 06:37 PM
cnnsi reported ( in truth and rumors) that Minny has offered Griff a contract, and the deal is 3 yrs, 1.8M,1.9M,2.0M. That effectively prices him out of the reclamation project bin. SA has the LLE to go at this, and even the remaining MCE, but I'm leery of giving him 3 years guaranteed. Jack worked out because they could cut his ass ANY DAY.

wildbill2u
07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
The guy is on probation and still screwed up. Granted it was a short trip to jail--but he could be lost to the team at any time. Would he still get paid if he winds up losing his probation?

Kori Ellis
07-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Pssst: Look for an announcement by Aug. 1 that the Timberwolves have retained free agent Eddie Griffin on a two-year deal worth $3.7 million and with a team option for a third year for $2 million.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/12208062.htm