PDA

View Full Version : One-Time Cap Albatross Fodder

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:13 AM
You've all probably heard about this by now, the league will allow a one-time waiving of a player this summer who will come off the books as far as a team's salary cap/luxury tax commitment goes.

Most of these pretty bloated, but there could be someone in there worth a look for the bench.

Here's who's been rumored of as well as potentials...

Rumored:
NY Knicks - Allan Houston 17.5 million
Dallas - Michael Finley 14.6 million
Boston - Raef Lafrentz 11.1 million
Orlando - Doug Christie 8.2 million

Potentials:
Toronto - Jalen Rose 14.4 million
Lakers - Brian Grant 13.2 million
Indy - Austin Croshere 10.2 million
Milwaukee - Calvin Booth 6.3 million
Portland - Derek Anderson 9 million

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:16 AM
I honestly dont see anyone on that list that intrigues me that much.

MAYBE Raef Lafrentz,
MAAAAYYYYBBBEEEE Michael Finley....

Other than that,

Doug Christie?? yikes no,

Derek Anderson?? Fuck him.

DieMrBond
Im not sure i understand this rule - does it mean that once in franchise history you can waive a player, or once per year?

Aggie Hoopsfan
Raef is VERY intriguing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:17 AM
MrBond - it is a one-time thing for this summer.

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:19 AM
yeah I like Raef's shooting ability, he can block some shots and rebound.

I honestly havent seen raef in so long, you kind of forget about his game.

Hes had knee injuries the last couple years if I remember right....

timvp
06-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Pop has always been a Doug Christie fan. Finley and Houston could spread the floor.

I wouldn't spend anything over a couple million a year to get one of these players, though.

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:21 AM
I love the idea of Allan Houston,

if he can shoot like he did that game in 03 vs the Spurs.

Mfer couldn't miss.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 12:22 AM
I honestly havent seen raef in so long, you kind of forget about his game.

Hes had knee injuries the last couple years if I remember right....

He actually played 80 of 82 games this year and averaged 11 and 7 in 27mpg.
And then he had a horrible (first round) playoffs averaging 7 points on 39% shooting.

Mark in Austin
06-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Please god not the Christie freak show. :lol

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 12:25 AM
I wonder how much money these guys will get if they do get waived. Hopefully the young teams with a lot of caproom don't stupidly overpay.

goliath
06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
The original team still has to pay the player the balance of the contract, correct?

The salary just doesnt count towards the cap or luxery tax.

So a player will likely be willing to play for whatever a team could pay him (ie vet min) cause his original team is still paying his salary.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 12:29 AM
The original team still has to pay the player correct the balance of the contract, correct?

The salary just doesnt count towards the cap or luxery tax.

So a player will likely be willing to play for whatever a team could pay him (ie vet min) cause his original team is still paying his salary.

True. But I'm sure more than one team would want each of these guys, so I doubt they'll be signed for the minimum because isn't the balance of their contract paid bythe original in a different manner.

I'm not really sure on how it works.

One other thing that I'm not sure of (and maybe AHF or Chump know) how many players can a team send to the NBDL and do those players count against your 15 total?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 12:42 AM
The best I can tell the NBDL projects will count against a team's total, as they can be "called up" to the team at any time, and are hence considered a part of the active roster.

timvp
06-27-2005, 12:43 AM
The best I can tell the NBDL projects will count against a team's total, as they can be "called up" to the team at any time, and are hence considered a part of the active roster.

That's how I read it too.

xcoriate
06-27-2005, 12:51 AM
So the team still has to pay the players salary once waived it just comes off the cap figure.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Actually the salary still counts toward the original team's cap -- just they don't have to pay luxury tax on them.

This summer, teams will be given a one-time opportunity to waive one player and eliminate luxury tax on any future contractual payments to that player. The salary will still count towards the cap, and payment will still have to be paid to the player according to the contract, but the team will not be subject to tax on that player’s contract.

T Park
06-27-2005, 12:55 AM
If Raef or Houston would come for the 1.6 Id do that immediately.

Especially Raef LaFrentz, a big guy that can block shots, make threes, rebound.

I like that.

MI21
06-27-2005, 12:59 AM
I can't believe I am saying this but Allan Houston could be a valuable backup for the Spurs. He might be slowish and have had serious injuries, but 2 years ago he was having 50 point games and you never forget how to shoot.

Interesting.

T Park
06-27-2005, 01:10 AM
well...

he was with the Celtics and ya prob have to take what happens with them with a grain of salt.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Christie is showing what happens to defensive guards when age starts to catch up with you.

Plus we'd have to deal with his psycho wife. No thanks.

T Park
06-27-2005, 01:14 AM
exactly....

say no to the halftime show

baseline bum
06-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Allan Houston or Austin Croshere would be very nice zone-breakers. They'd be defense breakers even worse than DA or HITA though.

grjr
06-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Allan Houston or Austin Croshere would be very nice zone-breakers. They'd be defense breakers even worse than DA or HITA though.

Indy's not gonna be over the Lux Tax threshold though are they? If they're not then they have no incentive to waive Croshere.

I think Allen Houston is really the only candidate to be waived...unless some high priced player does a "Kellen" over the summer.

CosmicCowboy
06-27-2005, 07:25 AM
God help Eva Longoria if the Spurs picked up Doug Christi...the original "Desperate Housewife" would put a cap in that sweet ass the first time Christi looked into the stands in her direction...

TwoHandJam
06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
The only guy I like on that list is Finley. That guy is so underused on the Mavs it isn't even funny. He would be a great backup 3 for us but would likely command too much money to get him.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Looking at that list, Finley really jumps out at me. He's one of those instant offense guys that the Spurs could really use off the bench for a season or two. Of course, I think he'd jump at the chance to play here simply because it means he wouldn't have to play against Bowen in any games during the season.

Raef might be worth a look. Defensive minded, decent shooting big, although if we bring Scola in how on earth would he get minutes? Nazr, Rasho (who I don't believe is going anywhere), Horry (who most expect to resign), Duncan, and Scola (who the Spurs seem awfully high on). I think Lafrentz would be a good fit here, just not at the moment. If Rob decides to go elsewhere for some reason he could be a good pickup. And for all those saying, "Go after Allan Houston" the guy's toast. The injuries he's racked up have him looking like an even riskier version of Grant Hill.

2centsworth
06-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Allan Huston is a dream.

spur219
06-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Houston would be a considerable pickup.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I doubt if any of these guys would want big money, since they'd already be getting their original salaries on top of whatever they signed for.

What probably each and every one of them would want, to a man, is PT.

Duff McCartney
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Raef LaFrentz? Come on now, I thought we were leaving the getting slammed on to Sean Marks?

I don't think LaFrentz will even sniff the court with the Spurs, he's pretty horrible defensively. Plus we'll have some depth at that spot, with Tim, Nazr, Rob, Rasho, Scola? That's what 5 guys?

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I think with these guys you have a good chance to find someone who has some skills and would be willing to accept a reduced role in a good situation for a chance to win a ring. Finley immediately strikes me as that kind of guy, and he's pissed enough with the Mavericks that the idea of going to the Mavs' "biggest rival" might strike him as sweet justice. I'd take Fin on this team -- I take Finley before Abdur-Rahim, all things considered -- particularly if he'd take a smallish contract.

The Spurs have pursued him in the past, too . . . .

Of the others on the "rumored" list, Jalen Rose might be worth a look, if you want a longish wing who can handle and has played from the bench in other situations. He was a huge part of Indy's Finals run in 2000 and, IMO, could still play a nice role on a good team.

I can't see Raef as a possibility, unless Scola completely falls through or something like that. I wouldn't touch Houston with his injury situation.

mrose31
06-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else want Finley to be a spur I bet Mouse would love it.

Samr
06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
NBA CLOSEOUT SALE!!!!
ALL LARGE CONTRACTS MUST GO!!!!!!!