PDA

View Full Version : Did you go to college/university or anything?

Pages : [1] 2

AussieFanKurt
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
What did you study?

Psychology for me

Agloco
10-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't really remember what I studied.....it's pretty fuzzy.

CuckingFunt
10-23-2012, 09:15 PM
BA in Art History/Studio Art and a minor in Multicultural Queer Studies.

MA in Art History.

Just started a program to get a second Masters in Library and Information Sciences.

After that, I'm done. Completely, totally, fucking done. When I first went back to school for my BA, I thought I'd want to be a student forever. Not anymore. I'm thoroughly over it.

GoodOdor
10-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Koriwhat told me that you don't need college to be successful, he's doing well and he barely finished high school tbh.

DeadlyDynasty
10-23-2012, 09:23 PM
BA in nothing from from University of Maryland (last 2 years), but started college at The U.

Went on to paramedic school and now have more pretentious letters after my name than a doctor....NREMT-P, CCEMTP, FP-C.

Now I'm back in school for RN, and will be done within 2 years...after that, traveling RN/medic

ColinB
10-23-2012, 09:25 PM
University of Texas, BA in Economics.

Thinking about graduate school. Not sure.

TE
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Started at UTPA and finished at UT, BS in Chemistry with an emphasis in Biochemistry.

Currently in my third year in a MD/Ph.D program at UTMB.

I'll probably end up doing research rather than practice though.

HI-FI
10-23-2012, 10:25 PM
went to University of Texas, doubled majored in Film and Government, don't know what the fuck you could use it for, but I enjoyed the experience.

I'm getting a degree in networking and also electronics, this is probably more of my thing than the Liberal Arts stuff I did originally. But I have no fucking clue what the future will hold for me, I never thought I'd go back to school let alone get a bachelors degree in the first place. I probably should have just gone to a tech school to begin with, it's what I was originally thinking but did the Bachelor's degree for my parents. But I do miss the atmosphere of UT-Austin, i'll never be around so many hot chicks again in my life:(

Agloco
10-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Started at UTPA and finished at UT, BS in Chemistry with an emphasis in Biochemistry.

Currently in my third year in a MD/Ph.D program at UTMB.

I'll probably end up doing research rather than practice though.

Didn't know you were in a combined program. How long is it and what's your PhD focus?

TE
10-24-2012, 01:26 AM
Didn't know you were in a combined program. How long is it and what's your PhD focus?
My program is 6-7 years long, depending on how I end up spending the next couple of summers (and of course progress in the lab). My project focuses on the cry proteins produced from various strains of Bacillus thuringiensis upon its sporulation. The cry proteins contain an amount of parasporin protein (in literature they're commonly referred to as cyt toxins) that exhibit cytocidal activity towards various target cancer cells. I'll be trying to target certain cancer cells of various sorts (mainly MCF-7 of breast cancer).

TE
10-24-2012, 01:36 AM
btw, did you go to college, Agloco? :lol

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
My program is 6-7 years long, depending on how I end up spending the next couple of summers (and of course progress in the lab). My project focuses on the cry proteins produced from various strains of Bacillus thuringiensis upon its sporulation. The cry proteins contain an amount of parasporin protein (in literature they're commonly referred to as cyt toxins) that exhibit cytocidal activity towards various target cancer cells. I'll be trying to target certain cancer cells of various sorts (mainly MCF-7 of breast cancer).

Fuck that's a long time, do you just get sick of study. I know I have and I've only done 5 years

symple19
10-24-2012, 02:12 AM
BA English

Minor in History

Auburn

Latarian Milton
10-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Koriwhat told me that you don't need college to be successful, he's doing well and he barely finished high school tbh.
but you do need a pair of spurs tats on your calves to be successful, didn't he tell you that also? college education is corrupt and is probably the biggest scam in the world today, but you still have to take it no matter what

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2012, 02:28 AM
but you do need a pair of spurs tats on your calves to be successful, didn't he tell you that also? college education is corrupt and is probably the biggest scam in the world today, but you still have to take it no matter what

Would you say its still a scam if it was free like it used to be here?

Latarian Milton
10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
^ son there's no such thing like a free lunch imho. so when shit was "free" for students, it was funded by taxpayer money which's also from you

TE
10-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Fuck that's a long time, do you just get sick of study. I know I have and I've only done 5 years

I took a year off after undergrad, got rest and started the program.

It's not as bad as it sounds.

TE
10-24-2012, 03:13 AM
plus i'm an insomniac.

I've gotten use to 4 hours of sleep a night the last 6 years

TE
10-24-2012, 03:13 AM
it's physically taxing, but a good 10-12 hour nap can solve anything :)

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2012, 03:49 AM
I took a year off after undergrad, got rest and started the program.

It's not as bad as it sounds.

Kudos, mate. Hope the hard work pays off

TE
10-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Kudos, mate. Hope the hard work pays off

What are you doing with that psych degree?

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2012, 04:06 AM
What are you doing with that psych degree?

I have to do more study to be a qualified psychologist, but I'm only 20 and pretty sick of school and uni so gunna go work as a counselor of some sort for a few years until I go back and do more study to become a psychologist - preferabily clinical

leemajors
10-24-2012, 05:37 AM
BA English
Minor History

UT

FkLA
10-24-2012, 06:03 AM
BAs suck

resistanze
10-24-2012, 06:42 AM
BSc in Genetics, MSc in pharmacology with focus on neuroscience. Would've shot myself if I had transferred to PhD - people in my program took 7-9 years on average to finish.

Did one year of postgraduate studies at a college that actually got me my job in the pharma industry.

ashbeeigh
10-24-2012, 06:52 AM
BA in Psychology and Spanish from Texas Lutheran University

1 year away from my Masters in Social Work from the University of Southern California.

lebomb
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Fawtbox Tech ......... Bachelors in fine ass honey salad tossin

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
lol utsa

Agloco
10-24-2012, 09:29 AM

:tu

Cool stuff. I feel that molecular medicine and targeted therapy is the next great thing. I mess around with targeted beta emitters from time to time to effect local damage. It's kinda clumsy though, and hard to predict the eventual distribution/concentration because tumor uptake and clearance kinetics are quite variable. The high dose gradient at the periphery also makes for dicey tumor control probability. The project I'm currently collaborating on involves manipulation of cells loaded with iron oxides. We subject them to a magnetic field and target them to specific sites.

Dumb question, but how do you plan to deliver the protein? Does it need to be intracellular to exert its effect?

Blake
10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
yD94CV7kLHE

One of these days, this will happen to lebomb while he's licking a fart box

JMarkJohns
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Bachelors of Science/Arts in News Editorial Journalism with a minor in Photography. I'm a semester away from a second degree in Broadcasting with a minor in Geology.

Masters of Arts in Communication Studies, emphasis in Masculinity and Ethnic Representations in modern media.

Honored as Graduate Instructor of the Year of 2010-11.

Now teach at the same University in programs of Photography, Photojournalism, and Communication Studies, emphasis in social, cultural, and psychological implications of media representations including film, television, and image marketing.

Agloco
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
btw, did you go to college, Agloco? :lol

Yes but...... :cry It's a scam :cry

I'm thinking about getting an MBA in the future, just for a change of pace.

cantthinkofanything
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
think I've probably earned a Masters in Bating by now

lebomb
10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
yD94CV7kLHE

WTF???? That would neva eva happen. I could tell that was a dude by them little hips that niggra had. :rollin

The Gemini Method
10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
B.S Environmental Studies (USC)

M.A Public Policy and Administration (Same)

Darth_Pelican
10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Bachelor of Science in Marketing from LSU

Summers
10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
BS in Biology, minor in Secondary Ed.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
In the process of a BSBA in accounting & finance, with a minor in math.

Will at some point either get a masters in finance or an MBA.

DPG21920
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM

MA in Art History.

Just started a program to get a second Masters in Library and Information Sciences.

After that, I'm done. Completely, totally, fucking done. When I first went back to school for my BA, I thought I'd want to be a student forever. Not anymore. I'm thoroughly over it.

Not that I know you and I am not judging but is this real? Did you choose these fields because you wanted to be a life time student and not have to work too much? It sounds like one of those pretentious majors (not that you are, I do not know) - but Multicultural Queer Studies? What were you hoping to accomplish with that one (i.e. was it simply just personal interest due to your sexual preferences or did you think you could make a difference with the knowledge you gained?).

lefty
10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Bachelor in Human Resources

And I'm a certified HR Advisor

Fucking certification doesnt earn me more $$$$$ :lol

AmericanPsycho
10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
G.E.D.

symple19
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
BA English
Minor History

UT

:lol

symple19
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Not that I know you and I am not judging but is this real? Did you choose these fields because you wanted to be a life time student and not have to work too much? It sounds like one of those pretentious majors (not that you are, I do not know) - but Multicultural Queer Studies? What were you hoping to accomplish with that one (i.e. was it simply just personal interest due to your sexual preferences or did you think you could make a difference with the knowledge you gained?).

My moms husband has a MA in Art History from UC Santa Barbara and ended up selling insurance for almost 30 years :lol

However, he is now a Director of Development for an art museum. I suppose there are some things you can do with that degree.

MA L/IS degree is definitely useful. I wouldn't mind working at a "Media Center" (Library). Quiet, serene, lots of books. Not much money, but who cares if it's what you like to do

DPG21920
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
That makes sense - I was more wondering about the "Multicultural Queer Studies". I mean, I have never even heard of such a thing and it sounds odd to say the least.

symple19
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Haven't a clue what that one is or what applications it may have in the real world. Sounds like the same thing as African American Studies

mavs>spurs
10-24-2012, 06:29 PM

I have to deal with fuckers like you all day. Why ya'll gotta be so difficult just giving up a little information?

TDMVPDPOY
10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

finance>accounting...has more pathways and easier to get into banking system

i did something equivalent as GED accounting, then got credit transfer into a uni...did Accounting degree, couldnt be fck with CPA....i guess i lost the passion to continue to study

CPA as always been on the mind or even a masters in TAX...but just cbf atm

CuckingFunt
10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
yD94CV7kLHE

WTF???? That would neva eva happen. I could tell that was a dude by them little hips that niggra had. :rollin

You could tell by the small hips?

Not by the ball bulge that is VERY clearly visible in the still that acts as the youtube preview?

CuckingFunt
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM

My moms husband has a MA in Art History from UC Santa Barbara and ended up selling insurance for almost 30 years :lol

However, he is now a Director of Development for an art museum. I suppose there are some things you can do with that degree.

MA L/IS degree is definitely useful. I wouldn't mind working at a "Media Center" (Library). Quiet, serene, lots of books. Not much money, but who cares if it's what you like to do

That makes sense - I was more wondering about the "Multicultural Queer Studies". I mean, I have never even heard of such a thing and it sounds odd to say the least.

Haven't a clue what that one is or what applications it may have in the real world. Sounds like the same thing as African American Studies

When I made the decision to go back to school, my goal was always to combine advanced degrees in Art History and Library/Info Sciences to be hireable as an art librarian, or doing collections management, or working in an art archive, or a special library, or whatever. Basically as a way of pursuing my love of art history despite hating academia. I don't want to teach, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to get published, so the library experience should make me more flexible and should hopefully give me an edge in the museum world. Ultimately, I made this plan based on the knowledge that my Art History degree will give me a specialization, but that my MLIS is what's going to get me hired.

The other stuff is mostly incidental. My BA included a second major in Studio Art because I'm an artist and knew that I would want to take advantage of the free darkroom as much as humanly possible, so I might as well take a few more studio classes to make up the major. Also, there is surprisingly little crossover between art historians and studio artists. A lot of those who write about it have, sadly, never done it. Knowing process has been hugely helpful in my work as an historian.

As for the somewhat controversial Multicultural Queer Studies, you'll notice it's a minor. And, yes, it is like African American Studies. Or Women's Studies. Or Ethnic Studies. Or whatever else. Despite the derision, it's a pretty rigorous field. But it's not something I ever thought would be my career. I did the minor because I took so many Women's Studies, Queer Studies, and Ethnic Studies classes due to my own personal interests that it just made sense to make the minor official. That said, having a solid foundation in feminist and queer theory has been HUGELY helpful in my art historical scholarship.

mavs>spurs
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
:vomit:

TE
10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
The project I'm currently collaborating on involves manipulation of cells loaded with iron oxides. We subject them to a magnetic field and target them to specific sites.
Interesting. Is this a project centered on evaluating cytotoxicity towards various cell lines? There are papers in literature suggesting uncoated iron oxide nanoparticles exhibit a degree of cytotoxicity.

I'm also aware that the usage of iron oxide nanoparticles has become a rampant tool for the labeling of cells when doing an MRI...does your project focus on analytical optimizations?

Dumb question, but how do you plan to deliver the protein? Does it need to be intracellular to exert its effect?
lol no question is dumb man. I'll be using a plethora of immunohistochemical techniques to introduce the protein to cells. There are four parasporin proteins (1, 2, 3 and 4) of which parasporin-2 has been the only one successfully documented to have direct association with a GPI-protein. That said, the four parasporin proteins exhibit adsorbance to the cell, theoretically being localized on the plasma membrane during whatever action the protein toxin imparts to the cell. It's still early in my project but I'm focused on evaluating the entrance of parasporin-1 to cells (PS1BP), which is the only one in the group that follows the unique cellular apoptosis resulting from a high Ca2+ influx to the cell. I will also be attempting to further the understanding with which apoptosis occurs when a cancer cell encounters this toxin, in other words, all the sexy cell signaling stuff. In a nutshell, the association of the parasporin proteins act to cause an ion imbalance in the cell as a result of cascading a receptor effect, leading to various forms of apoptosis (or the nonapoptotic cellular lysis exhibited by the parasporin protein-2). Some work will be done on proteins 3 and 4 for purposes of curiosity. All this will be possible once I choose which cell I will be targeting.

The pic below gives an idea of the action of both parasporin proteins and their known mechanisms of actions on cells.
http://www.museum.kyushu-u.ac.jp/PP2009/06/0906e2.jpg

TE
10-24-2012, 10:37 PM
:vomit:

:lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-24-2012, 10:42 PM
finance>accounting...has more pathways and easier to get into banking system

i did something equivalent as GED accounting, then got credit transfer into a uni...did Accounting degree, couldnt be fck with CPA....i guess i lost the passion to continue to study

CPA as always been on the mind or even a masters in TAX...but just cbf atm
i have no idea what this post says.

symple19
10-24-2012, 11:13 PM

DMC
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM

MA in Art History.

Wow you are running the gambit on shitty degrees.

DMC
10-24-2012, 11:59 PM
4 weak certefacut from Carls Truckdriving Acamedie

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2012, 12:14 AM

I'm also gonna get a Masters in Finance and/or an MBA at some point. Undergrad finance courses barely scratch the surface of high level financial analysis hedge funds/VC funds do, which is why I'm doing a math minor so when I apply for the really good masters in finance programs they know I'm not the dumbass finance major who sucks with numbers.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm also gonna get a Masters in Finance and/or an MBA at some point. Undergrad finance courses barely scratch the surface of high level financial analysis hedge funds/VC funds do, which is why I'm doing a math minor so when I apply for the really good masters in finance programs they know I'm not the dumbass finance major who sucks with numbers.

Dude you're a Jew, you fucking own Math, probably hold the patent.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Wow you are running the gambit on shitty degrees.

Depends entirely on how you measure/define a non-shitty degree.

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2012, 01:59 AM

If you make good money because of a degree you did I think that makes it good, dunno

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 02:11 AM
If you make good money because of a degree you did I think that makes it good, dunno

My point was more that those definitions are entirely subjective.

For instance, I am fundamentally opposed to the viewpoint that education and/or a degree should be viewed solely as a stepping stone to something else. I think education has value in and of itself, and that as long as your degree allows you to study something that matters to you and to pursue a field that genuinely interests you, it's not a shitty degree. I think being bored out of your mind for four years so you can end up with an MBA that you put minimum effort into acquiring just because it will (maybe) land you a big paycheck doing a job you don't really care about is considerably shittier.

That said, I am also fully aware that this is, unfortunately, becoming an increasingly antiquated viewpoint.

Ultimately, DMC is entitled to think I've pursued shitty degrees. I disagree. It's likely that neither of us is objectively more right or more wrong than the other.

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2012, 02:23 AM
Each to their own

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 03:31 AM
there ain't any "shitty" degrees imho. as long as it exists, there must be reasons why it exists. some degrees just won't bring you that much money as a finance/engineering degree would, but knowledge is the most valuable wealth in your life, wealth that you're never getting deprived of.

FkLA
10-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Good god Multicultural Queer Studies has got to be the stupidest degree out there. Cant believe people actually dish out their own money or use the states assistance to get piece of shit degrees like this one.

KoolAid Mans Brother
10-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Good god Multicultural Queer Studies has got to be the stupidest degree out there. Cant believe people actually dish out their own money or use the states assistance to get piece of shit degrees like this one.

I can't believe people actually choose to go to a mexican community college like UTSA and then cast judgement on someone who has real degrees from a real college.

lol UTSA
:lol meep meep

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2012, 07:46 AM

symple19
10-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I can't believe people actually choose to go to a mexican community college like UTSA and then cast judgement on someone who has real degrees from a real college.

lol UTSA

lol utsa

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
what is UTSA?

KoolAid Mans Brother
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
what is UTSA?

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/06/00/02/1573018/3/628x471.jpg

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
^ University of Texas, San Antonio?

Dude
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
H.S. Diploma

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM

lol UTSA
also can't believe you didn't notice the flag icon right under the word "college" :lol

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM

http://www.collegecrunch.org/advice/the-10-most-expensive-but-useless-degrees-in-americ/

This is a decent list of shitty degrees. Basically, these are degrees a person might get if they just had to get a degree in something but couldn't/wouldn't handle tougher courses.

Dr. Gonzo
10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I am a Master of Information and Library Science.

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
there ain't any "shitty" degrees imho. as long as it exists, there must be reasons why it exists. some degrees just won't bring you that much money as a finance/engineering degree would, but knowledge is the most valuable wealth in your life, wealth that you're never getting deprived of.

There are reasons why these degrees exist; people who never expect to hold a related job. Not everyone is going to do the work required to be a medical professional or engineer. There are plenty BS degrees. Basically if you paid for your kid's degree and learned later they got one in philosophy instead of the engineering course you thought they were taking, you wouldn't be happy. Chinks take classes that make them money, not ones that just make them feel liberated.

Post a few job openings that require a degree in philosophy or art history.

You don't need a degree to have knowledge.

Dude
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM

cantthinkofanything
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
There are reasons why these degrees exist; people who never expect to hold a related job.

and the fact that by offering these shit degrees people will be willing to take out student loans to pay for them and the crappy required books. All the while jacking up the cost of legitimate courses that will lead somewhere.

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Truth is that a lot of these bullshit degrees enable mostly women to say they have a degree while they are preparing dinner for their husband's business associates, and that they "just prefer to be a stay at home mom". Or they are lesbians.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Basically if you paid for your kid's degree and learned later they got one in philosophy instead of the engineering course you thought they were taking, you wouldn't be happy.

My old boss had a son going to UA who he thought was an engineering major and his son claimed that engineering majors start off as sociology majors (don't ask me why his son thought that excuse was sustainable or would work) after his dad saw his transcript and wanted to know why the fuck he was taking so many cheesedick classes. My boss then wanted me to ask around and confirm that was the case, and once I confirmed that engineering majors don't take any sociology classes, he was ready to strangle his son :lol

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM
My old boss had a son going to UA who he thought was an engineering major and his son claimed that engineering majors start off as sociology majors (don't ask me why his son thought that excuse was sustainable or would work) after his dad saw his transcript and wanted to know why the fuck he was taking so many cheesedick classes. My boss then wanted me to ask around and confirm that was the case, and once I confirmed that engineering majors don't take any sociology classes, he was ready to strangle his son :lol

But engineering is hard. Sociology is so much more fun and you don't need to study because most of the questions are common sense.

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
and the fact that by offering these shit degrees people will be willing to take out student loans to pay for them and the crappy required books. All the while jacking up the cost of legitimate courses that will lead somewhere.

I have nothing against someone who goes through these "programs" because that's their goal, but many of these people do it because they just want a degree in something, and later they cannot afford to pay off their loans and cannot even adequately support themselves. Just like everything else I suppose. Hell, I see people still driving Smart cars.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.collegecrunch.org/advice/the-10-most-expensive-but-useless-degrees-in-americ/

This is a decent list of shitty degrees. Basically, these are degrees a person might get if they just had to get a degree in something but couldn't/wouldn't handle tougher courses.

So, then, your assumption is that graduate level Art History seminars are easy?

JoeChalupa
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Took some accounting classes but no degree. Still just have a HS diploma. I do have a CPP cerfitification though. Certified Payroll Professional.

DMC
10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
So, then, your assumption is that graduate level Art History seminars are easy?

Easier than graduate level engineering thesis.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 11:57 AM
There are reasons why these degrees exist; people who never expect to hold a related job. Not everyone is going to do the work required to be a medical professional or engineer. There are plenty BS degrees. Basically if you paid for your kid's degree and learned later they got one in philosophy instead of the engineering course you thought they were taking, you wouldn't be happy. Chinks take classes that make them money, not ones that just make them feel liberated.

A degree is not simply a measure of knowledge. A degree, especially at the graduate level, is as much as anything else a measure of one's ability to perform in an academic and/or professional environment. That's as true for humanities as it is the sciences.

Once again, it is shortsighted to assume that there is only one destination. The heft of one's eventual paycheck is not the only factor in determining what is "legitimate" or where "somewhere" is.

Truth is that a lot of these bullshit degrees enable mostly women to say they have a degree while they are preparing dinner for their husband's business associates, and that they "just prefer to be a stay at home mom". Or they are lesbians.

Ah. So we're just getting flustered based on naive and outdated stereotypes. Got it.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
2oew30uMApg

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Easier than graduate level engineering thesis.

I have a very dear friend who just finished an advanced engineering program. He's off-the-charts smart and is an incredibly hard worker. I know for a fact his head would explode if he had to do 200-300+ pages worth of academic reading every week and produce 60+ pages of scholarly writing every semester, which is what I did for two years.

The Gemini Method
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
I had dated a girl who was doing her Master's in Art and let me tell you--that area of study was no joke and remembering how stressed she was unforgettable. Glad to see that she is doing quite well for herself and she has had a few art shows since she finished in 2010.

cantthinkofanything
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I have nothing against someone who goes through these "programs" because that's their goal, but many of these people do it because they just want a degree in something, and later they cannot afford to pay off their loans and cannot even adequately support themselves. Just like everything else I suppose. Hell, I see people still driving Smart cars.

Once again, it is shortsighted to assume that there is only one destination. The heft of one's eventual paycheck is not the only factor in determining what is "legitimate" or where "somewhere" is.

The problem is that in many cases, these people are misinformed about what money they will make and if it justifies taking out a loan. There is so much information available today that I would think if someone's goal was to acquire knowledge about some obscure subject, they could get pretty far without paying for classes.

Not that it would ever happen but maybe have the lenders actually review the degrees and average potential income associated with that degree before handing out money. Loaning an 18 year old money to take classes on Gambian History is as irresponsible as blanketing them with credit card applications.

If someone wants to waste their money and pursue something like that...fine. But don't lend them money that will never be repaid back to do it.

mrsmaalox
10-25-2012, 12:10 PM
BSN from UTEP, MSN (acute/critical care) from The Medical College of Georgia.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM
The problem is that in many cases, these people are misinformed about what money they will make and if it justifies taking out a loan. There is so much information available today that I would think if someone's goal was to acquire knowledge about some obscure subject, they could get pretty far without paying for classes.

Not that it would ever happen but maybe have the lenders actually review the degrees and average potential income associated with that degree before handing out money. Loaning an 18 year old money to take classes on Gambian History is as irresponsible as blanketing them with credit card applications.

If someone wants to waste their money and pursue something like that...fine. But don't lend them money that will never be repaid back to do it.

I'd be curious to know if humanities majors are actually defaulting on student loans at a (significantly?) higher rate than those who major in something more obviously career/paycheck oriented. That seems a HUGE leap to make based on a hunch. The humanities are looked down upon because, unlike business/law/science/etc. it is not a field of study that funnels you into a particular career path with an obvious point-A-to-point-B trajectory, but it's just plain silly to suggest that those degrees don't lead to jobs and that, as a result, huge populations of humanities majors are defaulting on their student loans based solely on the frivolity of their chosen field.

As for the rest, I am fundamentally opposed to making loan approval contingent upon major. That's just taking advanced education further down a path that I already find troubling.

Fpoonsie
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
BA in Gen Studies, UNT.

Didn't see it on DMC's list of shit degrees; then again, it may be SO worthless that the shit-level was simply understood.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a very dear friend who just finished an advanced engineering program. He's off-the-charts smart and is an incredibly hard worker. I know for a fact his head would explode if he had to do 200-300+ pages worth of academic reading every week and produce 60+ pages of scholarly writing every semester, which is what I did for two years.

Here you both judge the intelligence of an engineering grad (from an Art History major perspective) and then attempt to blow it away with the volume of papers you wrote. Need I say more?

leemajors
10-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey everyone, DMC got an Engineering degree and it was really hard.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
:(I had to write 200 pages about the french pseudo tartarlakalala period status for my art history class, shit was so hard:(

benefactor
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
lol degree dick measuring contests

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:33 PM

A lot of these young people who pick those "just for fun" classes never stepped out on their own and don't yet know the rigors of trying to survive on a day to day basis. It's akin to knowing you're about to embark on a 2 week hiking excursion and taking a bag of trail mix and some fun foods. When hunger sets in and you lack the energy to continue because what you brought isn't adequate, someone has to assist you.

If these people are just lounging around the pad contemplating even looking for gainful employment while mom and dad foot the bill, any degree will do, whatever makes them feel more culturally significant I suppose.

However, there's no defense of the "queer studies" bit. That's like someone took classes as a prank. It's actually a decent troll.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey everyone, I'm embarrassed of my degree

English? History? Two degrees that only allow you to teach. It's a Ponzi scheme in education.

cantthinkofanything
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
humanities majors are actually defaulting on student loans at a (significantly?) higher rate than those who major in something more obviously career/paycheck oriented. ... as a result, huge populations of humanities majors are defaulting on their student loans... That's just... further down a path that I already find troubling.

I agree 100%

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Here you both judge the intelligence of an engineering grad (from an Art History major perspective) and then attempt to blow it away with the volume of papers you wrote. Need I say more?

Thanks for the condescension, but you forgot the word "lowly."

leemajors
Not embarassed at all. Clearly stated what it was earlier in the thread, and I am well aware it is fairly worthless except as a footnote on my resume. I did learn to build computers in my spare time from my engineering friends though.

cantthinkofanything
:(I had to write 200 pages about the french pseudo tartarlakalala period status for my art history class, shit was so hard:(

I had to to do high school and college research papers using sources I HAD TO FIND AT A LIBRARY!!!!

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Not embarassed at all. Clearly stated what it was earlier in the thread, and I am well aware it is fairly worthless except as a footnote on my resume.

I don't have that problem fyi.

Kidding aside, my degree never comes up in conversation with my employer. Field experience trumps all, and when it's acquired that will be about all that matters in your career. Doctorate level degrees are a bit different.

leemajors
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't have that problem fyi.

It's not a problem.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
It's not a problem.

Really? So it's not a problem that you spent that time and money on program you cannot use?

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
My parents paid for my college degree, but they made it pretty clear that I better get something that will actually
lead to a good job/career path.......had I told them I was gonna major in some useless humanities degree, they would
have told me to go fuck myself and get a loan.

leemajors
10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Really? So it's not a problem that you spent that time and money on program you cannot use?

I can use it, but not much at my current job in the tech industry.

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
My parents paid for my college degree, but they made it pretty clear that I better get something that will actually
lead to a good job/career path.......had I told them I was gonna major in some useless humanities degree, they would
Son, is that you? :D

DPG21920
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
@ CF: I was talking more about your minor in Multicultural Queer Studies as that one to me was obscure - but you explained it. I don't think there is anything wrong pursuing what you love/interest you as long as you are happy and can meet basic standards of living without having to rely on others to support you. Being an academic is appealing to many people who don't want to work for some corporation or in a cube - makes perfect sense to me and I can definitely see the appeal (I am considering getting my doctorate degree in business to maybe be a college professor one day).

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM

I'd be bitter, too.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Son, is that you? :D

I would be proud to have you as a dad tbh:(

DMC
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the condescension, but you forgot the word "lowly."

Way to dodge the point I was making.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd be bitter, too.

Can't thank them enough for insisting on my not taking the easy path and getting a psych degree or something like that....

I was honestly a pretty lazy student, without their constant "reinforcement" I would probably be like one of my art history/english/etc friends,

working low wage jobs with no real opportunity for advancement, or worse, asking "would you like fries with that?"

DMC
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I would be proud to have you as a dad tbh:(:(

DMC
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Can't thank them enough for insisting on my not taking the easy path and getting a psych degree or something like that....

I was honestly a pretty lazy student, without their constant "reinforcement" I would probably be like one of my art history/english/etc friends,

working low wage jobs with no real opportunity for advancement, or worse, asking "would you like fries with that?"

Unless you are a trust fund kid, you likely needed a job right out of college and you couldn't just use college as a lifestyle.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Way to dodge the point I was making.

It only seemed fair, considering how completely you dodged and/or missed my own point. And have consistently done so throughout this thread.

However, to deal with your point more directly, I wasn't "judging" my friend's intelligence. My comment that he is intelligent and a hard worker was meant as background information, not personal endorsement. Further, my comment that he wouldn't have been able to handle the requirements of my own Masters program was not an attempt to belittle or "blow away" his intelligence or the intelligence of engineering majors in general. Rather, it was an acknowledgement of the fact that the two programs are very different and that they require a different type of discipline.

Engineering is an example of a hard degree, but it is not the definition of a hard degree. It's easy to look back on what you did in the pursuit of your degree and dismiss everything else as easy or trivial, but that doesn't make it so.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Unless you are a trust fund kid, you likely needed a job right out of college and you couldn't just use college as a lifestyle.

Pretty much, I've definitely made a lot of mistakes which made me unprepared for the real world - had an average GPA, didn't do any internships so had very little relevant
experience, etc - made it pretty hard to land that first job straight out of college. I'm glad that I'm doing okay now, but my thinking has changed pretty much 360.

Then again, it also has to do with your attitude - what do you want from life? I know people who are completely satisfied with getting a low paying job with little chance for advancement,
and basically living very modestly.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:12 PM

One could suggest that your eventual future as a fry cook may have had more to do with being a lazy student than with choosing to major in art history.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
One could suggest that your eventual future as a fry cook may have had more to do with being a lazy student than with choosing to major in art history.

Fry cooking is for people with art history degrees, tbh.

My point is that they were completely right - I bet I could have also masked my laziness as "my passions for art history:(:(:(", which is basically what the majority of the people who get these degrees do.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
My point is that they were completely right - I bet I could have also masked my laziness as "my passions for art history:(:(:(", which is basically what the majority of the people who get these degrees do.

It is impossible to successfully complete an Art History degree as a lazy student. Especially at the graduate level.

People who make these sorts of comments have zero clue what art history, as a discipline, actually is. If you think it's nothing but looking at slides in a darkened room and memorizing dates, you're horribly wrong.

DeadlyDynasty
10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
My degree was in Comm--which is admittedly pretty useless--but college (especially the first 2 years) was more about the experience than school. Joining the medical field was definitely a smart option as those jobs are always needed and offer lots of freedom when you acquire certain licenses certifications (CCRN, FP-C), etc.
In hindsight, my BA was a waste of money, but then again if I had a real major right out of high school other than Comm I would've probably failed out since classes were not top priority for me

DMC
10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't know of a single MSEE who's going back for a liberal arts degree. I know a lot of lib arts degrees who are going back for more lib arts degrees or who have gone back for something they can actually make a living with/at.

This was my point when I said "Bullshit degree". If you right away think you need something else, how valuable is your degree? It's like paying a ton for a fancy dish at a 5 star joint and then stopping by a steakhouse to get food on your way home. The fancy dish was pretty worthless as food, but probably a great treat. A liberal arts degree is like only ordering dessert.

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know of a single MSEE who's going back for a liberal arts degree. I know a lot of lib arts degrees who are going back for more lib arts degrees or who have gone back for something they can actually make a living with/at.

This was my point when I said "Bullshit degree". If you right away think you need something else, how valuable is your degree? It's like paying a ton for a fancy dish at a 5 star joint and then stopping by a steakhouse to get food on your way home.
What's your education, DMC?

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
My MLIS program is pretty well stocked with former engineers, lawyers, and doctors.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
My MLIS program is pretty well stocked with former engineers, lawyers, and doctors.

Sounds like people who already have a career/made their money, and are now looking to get a degree for fun.

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds like people who already have a career/made their money, and are now looking to get a degree for fun.
What I thought initially.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Different reasons for different people, of course, but I know for at least a few of them it's because they got fed up trying to find a decent job in their field and are instead going to work toward being a librarian in that field.

FkLA
10-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Are you really comparing the difficulty of a heavy load of reading and writing to the difficulty of engineering?

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Are you really comparing the difficulty of a heavy load of reading and writing to the difficulty of engineering?

No, I'm not. I'm saying that just because it's not engineering doesn't mean that graduate level art history isn't rigorous. The two programs are so different that I think any attempt at comparison is silly. And pointless.

my comment that he wouldn't have been able to handle the requirements of my own Masters program was not an attempt to belittle or "blow away" his intelligence or the intelligence of engineering majors in general. Rather, it was an acknowledgement of the fact that the two programs are very different and that they require a different type of discipline.

Engineering is an example of a hard degree, but it is not the definition of a hard degree. It's easy to look back on what you did in the pursuit of your degree and dismiss everything else as easy or trivial, but that doesn't make it so.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Are you really comparing UTSA engineering to actual engineering?

DMC
10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Different reasons for different people, of course, but I know for at least a few of them it's because they got fed up trying to find a decent job in their field and are instead going to work toward being a librarian in that field.
So you know some doctors, lawyers and engineers who couldn't find gainful employment so they spent money to get a degree that would have them searching for work as a librarian.

Got it.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
It's pretty fucking sad that the Art Historian is the least arrogant of all the pretentious blowhards in here.

DMC
10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
What's your education, DMC?

Nothing. I just make shit up as I go.

DMC
10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
It's pretty fucking sad that the Art Historian is the least arrogant of all the pretentious blowhards in here.

Art Historian has no reason to ever be arrogant.

GoodOdor
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM

symple19
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
You obviously don't know any :lol Not saying you're wrong, just that art world types are definitely one of the most pretentious, uppity groups you'll ever run into.

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
As sick as a third degree burn. :lol

FkLA
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM

spit out my drink tbh :lol

symple19
10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Throw good parties, though (for older types, anyway)

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM

Arrogance is not something that is earned.

Edward
10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
His head would only explode because he probably finds reading about how an Ancient Greek artist liked to fuck goats and sculpt sculptures of men fucking goats boring, pointless, and stupid. It's probably not because he isn't smart enough to and it's intellectually dishonest to pretend otherwise.

FYI, the reason so many engineering/science/business/etc. majors are so resentful towards liberals arts majors is because all of us had to waste time, tuition, and plenty of other things taking the bullshit liberal arts classes every major has to take as a gened, effectively subsidizing liberal arts colleges by paying tuition to take classes no one is interested in. It doesn't seem very hard to figure out why people resent those classes/areas of studies so much.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Considering how over saturated the market is for most majors, this whole dick measuring contest is pretty hilarious.

DMC
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Arrogance is not something that is earned.

I didn't mention earning.

Edward
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Considering how over saturated the market is for most majors, this whole dick measuring contest is pretty hilarious.

That's really not true. The market is littered with unfilled jobs in certain areas, but it's also littered with unemployed people who have no credentials to perform those jobs. Someone who's a graduating senior and a major in mathematics from a decent school with a GPA of probably 3.2ish or better probably has more potential job leads than he/she knows what to do with, the jobs being in a whole host of areas and jobs that pay well right out of school for just a BA (50k-60k).

Unfortunately, the market is also littered with political science, psychology, sociology, etc. majors who all have resumes that don't demonstrate any ability to use analytical/technical skills. Just from what I've seen the last few months, anyone with a resume that shows good technical/analytical skills can find a job right now.

DMC
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
The saturation may be in entry level positions, but there's no saturation in those that require experience. Were it saturated there would be no demand. You cannot sell ice to Eskimos. You certainly wouldn't get 6 figure salaries on saturated occupations. Someone with a degree in economics should understand that. Your career field might be tight, but don't falsely equate that to all career fields.

Joe the plumber
10-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Learning a trade seems to be having a comeback. Less debt and working sooner.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 03:40 PM
The saturation may be in entry level positions, but there's no saturation in those that require experience.

And how do you get experience when the entry level positions are all filled?

Agloco
10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Meh, it comes down to practicality. What puts food on the table and pays the bills? Sure there's a need for balance, but at the end of the day your job satisfaction won't pay the rent.

Agloco
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Nothing. I just make shit up as I go.

DMC
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
You don't spend 10 years in college prior to getting field experience in that area. There may be less room in entry level (out of college with no experience) positions, but if you have related experience in areas that do not require the same degree, that often will suffice for field experience and certainly puts you ahead of the career students. Internship is another very common route.

Vertigo
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM
I remember back when you could graduate from HS and work in manufacturing and make good money. :cry

Edward
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM

You work harder than you might have had to 10 years ago to get the entry level position. That might mean having to do an unpaid internship one summer early in college and a more formal internship before your senior year rather than taking 2 summers off to fuck around and party. I know that sounds god awful and really unfun, but plenty of people are able to do it and still have fun in school. Hard to believe, but true.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
DMC, I'm not sure if you misinterpreted what I said or you are delusional. Those entry level jobs are exactly what the majority of college graduates are applying for. Not only are they competing against the increasing number of people with a BA/BS, but they are also competing with those who have a wealth of experience in the field. Hate to say it, but the job market isn't perfectly competitive.

Your six figure example is pretty funny though. Plenty of lawyers, dentists, pharmacists, PhDs in academia, etc would disagree. Saturated.

As far as you patronizing me and my major, I'm well aware of how supply and demand works. Demand might be there, but you have a surplus of labor causing that congestion in the market.

Edward, don't confuse the job market with your college career fair.

Edward
10-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Edward, don't confuse the job market with your college career fair.

I'm not. I know you're just gonna dismiss this as dick measuring but in the last week 3 different companies, all of which I never reached out to or contacted, called me to set up an interview. 2 of them are jobs I'm not really interested in at all, but I'd say that's a lot more of the job market than a college career fair.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm not going to make too many assumptions because I know nothing regarding your college/major/experience, but do you really think that is common for college graduates? Or even just your major's graduates? There are always outliers, consider yourself lucky and hopefully the one you want works out.

Honestly, I do not know too many people working at a job that is directly related to their major anymore, which is why I found all this arguing about a major's importance funny. It's about adapting and leveraging the skills you possess to a similar field that is hiring. I see no problem with a person seeking a degree in something they are passionate about because being stuck in a career they don't enjoy sounds like a nightmare.

mavs>spurs
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Are you really comparing UTSA engineering to actual engineering?

:lmao!!!!

DMC
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm not going to make too many assumptions because I know nothing regarding your college/major/experience, but do you really think that is common for college graduates? Or even just your major's graduates? There are always outliers, consider yourself lucky and hopefully the one you want works out.

Honestly, I do not know too many people working at a job that is directly related to their major anymore, which is why I found all this arguing about a major's importance funny. It's about adapting and leveraging the skills you possess to a similar field that is hiring. I see no problem with a person seeking a degree in something they are passionate about because being stuck in a career they don't enjoy sounds like a nightmare.
Wow. You don't know anyone working in a job related to the degree they got? Damn what shitty job do you have?

Also, so what, someone goes back to school and gets a different degree in some obscure liberal art. If we use your experiences, they wouldn't get a job related to their degree of choice, so it would be a moot point.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
You are terrible with semantics aren't you?

Maybe a couple of liberal arts classes wouldn't have hurt.

Edward
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Maybe a couple of liberal arts classes wouldn't have hurt.
Probably wouldn't have helped either.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Wouldn't be the classes' fault, that's for sure.

Edward
10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
DMC I'm pretty sure is worth more than either one of us so the liberal arts classes he did/didn't take probably worked out fine for him. Lets see who responds to this with some :crymoney isn't everything:cry soapbox.

mavs>spurs
10-25-2012, 06:02 PM
lol liberal arts majors thinking their major isn't the reason why their life blows. ask yourself this, what skill did those classes really teach you that real people would pay money for you to do for them? what technical skills did you acquire and how do they prepare you to do something people need and are willing to pay good money for?

ColinB
10-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Seriously, good for him. I'm not going to hate on someone for doing something they enjoy and ultimately being successful at it. Also never going to hate on someone making bank, definitely wouldn't mind that myself.

What was your major DMC and where did it take you as far as jobs go?

FkLA
10-25-2012, 08:13 PM
^DMC is a mothafuckin engineer just like me tbh, electrical if im not mistaken

DMC
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Seriously, good for him. I'm not going to hate on someone for doing something they enjoy and ultimately being successful at it. Also never going to hate on someone making bank, definitely wouldn't mind that myself.

My major was EE. I'm kinda a big deal around here.

Agloco
10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Lets see who responds to this with some :crymoney isn't everything:cry soapbox.

I will. It's a lesson learned over time though. Usually the hard way. Such is human nature.

Agloco
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM

DMC is my Spurstalk hero tbh.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
You work harder than you might have had to 10 years ago to get the entry level position. That might mean having to do an unpaid internship one summer early in college and a more formal internship before your senior year rather than taking 2 summers off to fuck around and party. I know that sounds god awful and really unfun, but plenty of people are able to do it and still have fun in school. Hard to believe, but true.

I'm curious to know where you got the impression that internships aren't a part of liberal arts.

ashbeeigh
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm just glad my comment just slid under the radar completely and haven't been attacked once in this thread.

Continue on.....

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm just glad my comment just slid under the radar completely and haven't been attacked once in this thread.

Continue on.....

You sure do like attention.

DMC
10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Why ask how to break into the business if you know there are internships?

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 10:06 PM
lol liberal arts majors thinking their major isn't the reason why their life blows. ask yourself this, what skill did those classes really teach you that real people would pay money for you to do for them? what technical skills did you acquire and how do they prepare you to do something people need and are willing to pay good money for?

:lol this has yet to be answered by the pretentious liberal art majors in dis here thread.

:cry:cry don't be mean to me, the rigor is the same as other legit degrees:cry:cry

resistanze
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
To be fair, there is indeed an oversaturation of graduating students even in science. Coming out of university with a Bsc gives you almost no prospects in the field (at least when trying to enter), unless you're willing to work at a position for 25-30K. Hell, I've had science professors tell us that 'university is to learn, not to find a job. If you want a job, go to a vocational school'.

I knew coming out of my first degree I wasn't getting shit unless I had a well connected uncle or some shit - this was the same for all of my peers. Even after my masters degree (which was extremely rigorous) you're looking at working as a lab technician/technologist/clinical trial coordinator for ~35K.

I had to go to a college program (concept of colleges here are slightly different here; refer to technical schools for specialized professional/vocational education) which offered an internship component in order to get my foot in the door. It's definitely possible to do the grunt work and make connections completely on your own, but depending on your field you're realistically competing against thousands of students putting in the same work.

CuckingFunt
10-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Why ask how to break into the business if you know there are internships?

I didn't ask how to break into the business.

leemajors
10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
To be fair, there is indeed an oversaturation of graduating students even in science. Coming out of university with a Bsc gives you almost no prospects in the field (at least when trying to enter), unless you're willing to work at a position for 25-30K. Hell, I've had science professors tell us that 'university is to learn, not to find a job. If you want a job, go to a vocational school'.

I knew coming out of my first degree I wasn't getting shit unless I had a well connected uncle or some shit - this was the same for all of my peers. Even after my masters degree (which was extremely rigorous) you're looking at working as a lab technician/technologist/clinical trial coordinator for ~35K.

I had to go to a college program (concept of colleges here are slightly different here; refer to technical schools for specialized professional/vocational education) which offered an internship component in order to get my foot in the door. It's definitely possible to do the grunt work and make connections completely on your own, but depending on your field you're realistically competing against thousands of students putting in the same work.

my roomate has a bio BA and got on with a lab as a tech here in Austin for around that, temped for around 6 months then got hired on. i think he's up to around 40 after 2 years badged or so.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
:lol this has yet to be answered by the pretentious liberal art majors in dis here thread.

:cry:cry don't be mean to me, the rigor is the same as other legit degrees:cry:cry

Probably because it is a dumb set of questions. Unless he honestly believes people pursue degrees in comparative literature because they assume it'll best maximize their ability to compete on the job market.

DMC
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I didn't ask how to break into the business.

Let's not be pedantic and evasive.

DMC
10-25-2012, 10:51 PM
LeeMajors,

What kind of lab if you don't mind me asking?

lakerhaterade
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Probably because it is a dumb set of questions.

It's actually not a stupid set of questions. Those are questions posed for people like you, CF, and the rest of the spurstalk contingent trying to legitimize a liberal arts degree. It'd be best to answer them directly.

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 10:54 PM
^DMC is a mothafuckin engineer just like me tbh, electrical if im not mistaken
DMC might be an engineer but the difference is he never fucks his mom or sisters like you & your amigos usually do

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 10:58 PM
if $ is the only thing that matters in your life then such websites like spurstalk should be shut down because it doesn't generate no extra income for its owners, nor have you guys dropping 30+ posts a day ever got paid for posting here imho

Latarian Milton
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
say you can make decent $ writing blogs or selling novels, and you don't need a finance/accounting/engineering degree to do that. you never get fooled by your knowledge and the knowledge/skills/intelligence you have will eventually pay off one day or another. engineering jobs will shrink alot in the near future with the growing use of more advanced softwares and computers, while you'll see the blossoming of other industries including but not limited to entertainment, service, education etc...

one of the keys to success is envisioning the future before others do imho

FkLA
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
DMC might be an engineer but the difference is he never fucks his mom or sisters like you & your amigos usually do

thats not even a mexican stereotype, stop pulling shit out of your ass you racist scum.

ColinB
10-25-2012, 11:26 PM
It's actually not a stupid set of questions. Those are questions posed for people like you, CF, and the rest of the spurstalk contingent trying to legitimize a liberal arts degree. It'd be best to answer them directly.

Not sure why you cut off the second half of my post as it pretty much gets my point across fairly well.

If we are acting pompous around here, why the hell should anyone have to legitimize their degree to someone with a UTA business degree?

symple19
10-25-2012, 11:28 PM
thats not even a mexican stereotype, stop pulling shit out of your ass you racist scum.

Does your love of shemales stem from the fact that your mother is really your father?

There are professionals who can help with your daddy issues, tbh

Edward
10-25-2012, 11:45 PM
I will. It's a lesson learned over time though. Usually the hard way. Such is human nature.

I understand if you don't want to reveal your salary, but my guess is a nuclear whateverthehellyoudo (and that's not me trying to be condescending about your science degree, that's me not wanting to attempt to correctly spell your occupation :lol) doesn't exactly worry about putting food on the table.

Edward
10-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm curious to know where you got the impression that internships aren't a part of liberal arts.

What kind of internships are there? Do you give art museum tours to people taking summer vacation?

Edward
10-25-2012, 11:54 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

dirk4mvp
10-25-2012, 11:55 PM
sup dudes

Edward
10-25-2012, 11:57 PM
sup dudes
I really don't care, fuck those n!ggers

dirk4mvp
10-26-2012, 12:03 AM
u jelly of the grove brah

Edward
10-26-2012, 12:08 AM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/sAUrWmlq3ns/0.jpg

FkLA
10-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Does your love of shemales stem from the fact that your mother is really your father?

There are professionals who can help with your daddy issues, tbh

1. That was terribly unffuny.

and

2. Who the fuck are you, homo ?

DMC
10-26-2012, 01:06 AM
say you can make decent $ writing blogs or selling novels, and you don't need a finance/accounting/engineering degree to do that. you never get fooled by your knowledge and the knowledge/skills/intelligence you have will eventually pay off one day or another. engineering jobs will shrink alot in the near future with the growing use of more advanced softwares and computers, while you'll see the blossoming of other industries including but not limited to entertainment, service, education etc...

one of the keys to success is envisioning the future before others do imho

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/05/15/best-top-most-valuable-college-majors-degrees/

With rising tuition costs and a rapidly changing job landscape, a student’s college major is more important than ever. It can either set you up for lifetime career success and high earnings or sink you into debt with few avenues to get ahead of it.
“Unless you go to a top-20 brand name school, what matters most to employers is your major,” says Katie Bardaro, lead economist at compensation research firm PayScale. In fact, in a new report by Gen-Y researcher Millennial Branding, a full 69% of managers agreed that relevant coursework is important when considering job candidates.

So which college majors are most likely to land you a well-paying job right out of school? Analysts at PayScale compared its massive compensation database with 120 college majors and job growth projections through 2020 from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) to determine the 15 most valuable majors in the current marketplace. Ranked by median starting pay, median mid-career pay (at least 10 years in), growth in salary and wealth of job opportunities, engineering and math reigned supreme.
At No. 1, biomedical engineering is the major that is most worth your tuition, time and effort.

Biomedical engineers earn a median starting salary of $53,800, which grows an average of 82% to $97,800 by mid-career. Moreover, the BLS projects a whopping 61.7% growth of job opportunities in the field—the most of any other major on the list. Engineering concentrations comprise one third of the most valuable majors. Software engineering majors (No. 4) earn a median of $87,800 after 10 years on the job; environmental engineering majors (No. 5) earn a median of $88,600; civil engineering majors (No. 6) earn a median of $90,200; and petroleum engineering majors (No. 9) earn a median of $155,000—the highest paycheck on the list.

“These aren’t majors that anyone could do. They’re hard, and these programs weed people out,” says Bardaro. “However, there is high demand for them and a low supply of people with the skills, so it drives up the labor market price.”
In the Millennial Branding survey, employers reported engineering and computer information systems majors as their top recruits. Also, nearly half of these employers (47%) said the competition for new science, technology, engineering and math talent is steep. That means while other recent grads fight for jobs, these students will likely field multiple offers.

Math and science concentrations are also well-represented on this list. Biochemistry (No. 2), computer science (No. 3), applied mathematics (No. 10), mathematics (No. 11), physics (No. 14) and statistics (No. 15) majors are increasingly in demand and well-paid.
Bardaro believes that the new data-driven market makes math skills, particularly statistics, more and more valuable to employers. Many companies now collect large datasets on consumer behavior, be it online search patterns or user demographics. Statisticians who understand data and can use it to forecast trends and behavior will do especially well, she says.

Conversely, the worst-paying college majors are child and family studies, elementary education, social work, culinary arts, special education, recreation and leisure studies, religious studies, and athletic training.

--------------

I really have no idea where people are getting this idea that engineering jobs are hard to find out of college.

leemajors
10-26-2012, 05:03 AM
LeeMajors,

What kind of lab if you don't mind me asking?

http://www.luminexcorp.com/

ploto
10-26-2012, 07:55 AM
When discussion about fields of study arises, there are always some science people who get uppity about their field of study. I do not get it. I have a degree in mathematics, but I think it was actually a pretty easy field for me to study. Then, I have a minor in a humanities that actually was more challenging. I studied both because imagine this - I went to college to educate myself. Then, I have a master's in a third field and this is the area in which I actually work. It is a field that I chose because it interests me and it is what I want to do although I will never get paid much for doing it.

Edward
10-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Eh, the engineering majors I know are all very hard working people who are staying in on Saturday to study on the reg, I have nothing but respect for them and I can see why they get uppity about the fact they work harder than anyone else, it's human nature and they really do have the most rigorous major. The uppity science majors I find hilarious are the ones who are some variation of premed w/ a mediocre GPA and no chance at getting into med school yet still thump their chest to the fact they're premed. One of them graduated, decided to get an MBA (something that you won't get the most of without real work experience), and is clueless about accounting so he'll randomly call me asking for help on accounting after years of telling me how I was wasting my education by getting a business degree.

ploto
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Ask one of those engineering majors to read I and Thou and see how they do.

cantthinkofanything
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Really pointless to read it in anything other than the original German.

CuckingFunt
10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Let's not be pedantic and evasive.

I'm being neither.

I was asking how you expected to leapfrog into all the open advanced engineering positions despite the constant influx of new graduates and the saturation of entry level positions. Connections and internships, as vague concepts, are not sufficient answers to that question. Making connections and working as an intern are expected when getting a degree in any field, so simply doing that does not make you (or anyone else) special and unique.

It absolutely is a stupid set of questions. It attempts to judge liberal arts criteria against measures it was never intended to satisfy.

What kind of internships are there? Do you give art museum tours to people taking summer vacation?

Because engineering interns are let loose and allowed to just start building shit on day one?

Internships in my field are no more or less filled with bullshit busywork than internships in any other field. You do the shit the paid staff doesn't want to do. In a museum, that could include everything from working the front desk, to helping to plan/organize special events, to helping install new shows, and on and on.

Eh, the engineering majors I know are all very hard working people who are staying in on Saturday to study on the reg, I have nothing but respect for them and I can see why they get uppity about the fact they work harder than anyone else, it's human nature and they really do have the most rigorous major.

That's not uppity. That's pouting based on an assumption that everyone else is off having fun while they're stuck inside. Anyone in college who takes their work seriously is spending plenty of Saturday nights at home, no matter their field of study.

Magua
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Ask one of those engineering majors to read I and Thou .

But............why?

Fpoonsie
10-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Sup, Mag.

Jeff Van Gundy
10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
:lol dick measuring contest.

mavs>spurs
10-27-2012, 12:16 PM

And that matters...why? Maybe they can't pick their nose as well as you either but at least they have real skills that translate into the real world. Who cares about trivial little shit? I mean..maybe they're not double jointed either. So?

Drachen
10-27-2012, 12:34 PM

I have to deal with fuckers like you all day. Why ya'll gotta be so difficult just giving up a little information?

Jesus Christ, Lefty, just tell him how to join the company credit union.

mavs>spurs
10-27-2012, 12:35 PM
nah i sometimes have to verify employment on customers and HR people are some of the most worthless, lazy 9.00 an hour shitheads i've ever had the misfortune of dealing with

lefty
10-28-2012, 12:03 AM
nah i sometimes have to verify employment on customers and HR people are some of the most worthless, lazy 9.00 an hour shitheads i've ever had the misfortune of dealing with
9.00 an hour ?

FuzzyLumpkins
10-28-2012, 02:14 AM
It's really simple. Following WW2, a whole shit ton of boomers were encouraged very strongly into the engineering profession. Nowadays for whatever reason there are not as many new engineers coming out. The Boomers are leaving the workforce and there is an evergrowing vacuum in that particular labor supply. A software engineer can make $80k right out of the gate. This is going to continue trending because there are a whole lot of Boomers and not a lot of the rest of us to replace them.

If you can do partial differential equations and harmonic analysis then you too can be an engineer. That's about as hard as the math gets. Topology is not required unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint.

ploto
10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
And that matters...why? Maybe they can't pick their nose as well as you either but at least they have real skills that translate into the real world. Who cares about trivial little shit? I mean..maybe they're not double jointed either. So?

It goes to the claim that science is somehow a harder field to study. I have seen plenty of science majors struggle in the most basic of humanities courses. So one is not harder than the other; they are simply different.

As to which kind of expertise our society reimburses at a higher rate, that is a different question.

mavs>spurs
10-28-2012, 03:21 PM
It goes to the claim that science is somehow a harder field to study. I have seen plenty of science majors struggle in the most basic of humanities courses. So one is not harder than the other; they are simply different.

As to which kind of expertise our society reimburses at a higher rate, that is a different question.

Ploto..aren't you like a nurse or an EMT anyway? Those jobs add 1000 times more value to society than whatever liberal arts majors do with their degrees. The reason a science major might struggle in a humanities course is because it doesn't interest them and they don't care, not due to lack of ability. That's the difference. A science major can dig down and read romeo and juliet and write a report for some english class, but an english major 9 times out of 10 can't make it through a rigorous science program. I mean if you want to say liberal arts is "hard" in the sense that watching paint dry is hard then sure, but it doesn't require as much ability or brain power.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
:lol couldn't have said it better myself. Humanities classes and liberal arts classes are only hard because reading really queer literature and analyzing it is boring as hell.

DMC
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm being neither.

I was asking how you expected to leapfrog into all the open advanced engineering positions despite the constant influx of new graduates and the saturation of entry level positions.

You asked specifically what I quoted which had nothing to do with advanced engineering positions. I get onto flights that are booked by going on standby. You could say the flights are customer saturated, but I manage to get a flight most often. The same is true with entry level engineering jobs. They aren't going away, and the "saturation" mentioned just means you have stiff competition. It's not first come/first serve. You have to be better or at least appear to be.

Connections and internships, as vague concepts, are not sufficient answers to that question. Making connections and working as an intern are expected when getting a degree in any field, so simply doing that does not make you (or anyone else) special and unique.
Sure it does. If you think "what's expected" is the norm, you're too long out of a real job. If you get an internship at an engineering firm, you have an open door to get placement once you graduate. That depends largely upon your ability to show how effective you are during your internship. It's not just showing up and fetching coffee. I've hired several recent grads that I knew already on a first name basis and who already knew our systems because they interned and spent a lot of time being useful. When they go, you feel you're short a good resource so you seek to even get a req opened for a new hire. These are not vague concepts to anyone who's hired interns. I didn't mention connections. Remember, we are addressing getting jobs in a saturated market, not getting advanced position, so because someone mentioned that engineering is a saturated field, I had to clarify that it's hard to get into but not hard to continue once you've established yourself.

Just a few seconds of basic research would answer all those questions btw.

It absolutely is a stupid set of questions. It attempts to judge liberal arts criteria against measures it was never intended to satisfy.

I think that was the point.

Because engineering interns are let loose and allowed to just start building shit on day one?

Engineering interns are made to be assistants on day 1. There's no warming up. They are shown the ropes and quite often they even provide insight. I had one intern who totally revamped our software. He got hired.

Internships in my field are no more or less filled with bullshit busywork than internships in any other field. You do the shit the paid staff doesn't want to do. In a museum, that could include everything from working the front desk, to helping to plan/organize special events, to helping install new shows, and on and on.

That's not what engineering interns do. They don't do busy work. It's not a radio station where the intern runs copies and fetches coffee. Engineering interns actually perform tests and collect and analyze data. It's supervised by engineers, but just the same it's not busywork. We had a couple liberal arts majors decorating the break room however (true story).

That's not uppity. That's pouting based on an assumption that everyone else is off having fun while they're stuck inside. Anyone in college who takes their work seriously is spending plenty of Saturday nights at home, no matter their field of study.
Ok, and anyone who's into martial arts is probably sweating a lot and going to practices and wearing protective gear. They are not MMA fighters however. Stop equivocating reading and volume with technical difficulty. You're basically saying high school PE = Olympics.

DMC
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM

You're assuming that engineers aren't culturally developed. I've read all the classics, and I am involved in philosophical debates. As an atheist, I am probably as well versed on religious texts as most theists who aren't theologians.

Let's see the philosophy majors explain the emotional complexities of a photomultiplier tube and use that information to plot a decay rate. Then tell me if that's going to work for my 100,000 scans per second requirement.

Anyone here can get a degree in philosophy or some other "don't need it" course. It's those that are actually needed that are in demand (for a reason). Supply/Demand doesn't stop at the liberal arts level.

DMC
10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Many liberal arts classes just require participation. There's several that don't require you to be right, only to be involved. In engineering, you have to be right. There are foundations built before you were born to check your work. In philosophy, you can consider an ant hill to be Moses, and justify it though some wordy double speak that might impress those who think you are enlightened. You cannot impress engineers with bullshit talk. When you graduate a liberal arts course, you're now an unemployable person with a liberal arts degree. Your take on abstract things means no more than the engineers take on abstract things. You might feel better about yourself, but that doesn't mean much to anyone else who doesn't know you.

Basically, liberal arts degrees are useless in the world outside of your thoughts.

lakerhaterade
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
DMC went HAM, imo.

DMC
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Never heard of someone failing a philosophy class and getting an engineering degree instead. Never met a parent who said "yeah, we had hoped he would major in queer studies but he let us down and got a degree in aerospace engineering".

leemajors
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
internships vary from company to company. one of my buddies in college interned at a company in Austin as an EE major his junior and senior years that eventually got bought out by smsc, they made a chip in the late 90s and early 2000s that was used in high end vehicles like BMW and Mercedes. The majority of his internship was spent counting and baiting sugar ants and seeing how long he could hold his breath. They offered him 80k after graduation. Our other friend interred for Sun as an EE major and did the same kind of shit during the same time period. He's now a mid level exec for AMD.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
"yeah, we had hoped he would major in queer studies but he let us down and got a degree in aerospace engineering".

DMC
10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
So both got jobs for the company in which they interned.

People accustomed to working in hourly jobs where their output is measured on a quota basis often think salaried jobs are "do nothing". One would think that with my 20 hours a week (sometimes) but it's not about how much work you do, but what it is you are doing. I see the one guy adapted pretty well to having idle time.

leemajors
10-28-2012, 08:26 PM
So both got jobs for the company in which they interned.

People accustomed to working in hourly jobs where their output is measured on a quota basis often think salaried jobs are "do nothing". One would think that with my 20 hours a week (sometimes) but it's not about how much work you do, but what it is you are doing. I see the one guy adapted pretty well to having idle time.

he couldn't ever break 90 seconds, was very disappointed in himself.

DMC
10-28-2012, 08:26 PM

It's not funny. I had to read 300 pages about homosexuals and watch Philadelphia like 10 times and write an insightful essay. I just love Tom Hanks.

DMC
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
he couldn't ever break 90 seconds, was very disappointed in himself.

It's hard. It sucks making 6 figure salaries while eating nachos and watching the liberal arts majors working hard checking badges at the door.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
It's not funny. I had to read 300 pages about homosexuals and watch Philadelphia like 10 times and write an insightful essay. I just love Tom Hanks.

My laughter was just a deflection. I tried to be a queer studies major but reading those 300 pages was so hard :cry

I then changed to business and started taking 18 units a semester so I could graduate with 150 units and become a CPA. That was so much easier. My parents are pretty disappointed.

leemajors
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
my best friend who was a psych major got to 6 figures faster in corporate sales at dell, but they are all up there now.

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
My laughter was just a deflection. I tried to be a queer studies major but reading those 300 pages was so hard :cry

I then changed to business and started taking 18 units a semester so I could graduate with 150 units and become a CPA. That was so much easier. My parents are pretty disappointed.

Fortunately there are those here who persevered through the BUD/S like gauntlet that is Queer Studies and they can probably help you cope with the fact that your parents will never recover from the disappointment you laid at their doorsteps. Just go out and buy a really thick long sleeved sweater that's really too big for you, pull the sleeves over your palms and get an oversized porcelain cup and, using both hands, drink some coffee made locally by someone who has a doctorate in some liberal art who smokes hand rolled scented tobacco or cloves and who serves esoteric brands of java (no, doesn't own... just serves) while listening to the sounds of "Broken Placenta" and nodding understandingly as this Queer Studies professional waxes philosophical to you about the intricacies of the human psyche and how emotions are cathartic. You should cry about now.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Fortunately there are those here who persevered through the BUD/S like gauntlet that is Queer Studies and they can probably help you cope with the fact that your parents will never recover from the disappointment you laid at their doorsteps. Just go out and buy a really thick long sleeved sweater that's really too big for you, pull the sleeves over your palms and get an oversized porcelain cup and, using both hands, drink some coffee made locally by someone who has a doctorate in some liberal art who smokes hand rolled scented tobacco or cloves and who serves esoteric brands of java (no, doesn't own... just serves) while listening to the sounds of "Broken Placenta" and nodding understandingly as this Queer Studies professional waxes philosophical to you about the intricacies of the human psyche and how emotions are cathartic. You should cry about now.
Can I do this at the local starbucks, or does it need to be a true mom and pop coffee shop that employees a lot of queer studies majors?

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Can I do this at the local starbucks, or does it need to be a true mom and pop coffee shop that employees a lot of queer studies majors?

Starbucks is too mainstream now. You need something a bit more on the fringe. Try some local school campus shop, ask around at the head stores or find a poetry reading (just follow the snaps). You risk getting an engineer posing as a Queer Studies major at a Starbucks.

Whatever you do, don't mention money. They hate it. Their lives are about fulfillment but you will have to foot the coffee bill for you both since the QS person is broke.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Starbucks is too mainstream now. You need something a bit more on the fringe. Try some local school campus shop, ask around at the head stores or find a poetry reading (just follow the snaps). You risk getting an engineer posing as a Queer Studies major at a Starbucks.

Thank you for the advice DMC.

Hopefully whatever local coffee shop I find has their own blend of the queer roast, as oppose to starbucks' french roast. I'm truly excited to drink some queer coffee.

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the advice DMC.

Hopefully whatever local coffee shop I find has their own blend of the queer roast, as oppose to starbucks' french roast. I'm truly excited to drink some queer coffee.

Avoid the yeast scented coffee.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Avoid the yeast scented coffee.

I think that's the coffee CuckingFunt drinks.

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
It could be considered field research.

ploto
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Never heard of someone failing a philosophy class and getting an engineering degree instead. Never met a parent who said "yeah, we had hoped he would major in queer studies but he let us down and got a degree in aerospace engineering".

Know a brilliant guy who found physics not challenging enough and ended up with a PhD in history before he was 30.

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Know a brilliant guy who found physics not challenging enough and ended up with a PhD in history before he was 30.

Is that what he told you? How far did he go in physics?

Also, I am not surprised that a physics major could easily learn history. When a liberal arts guy finds it not interesting and gets a doctorate in physics, let me know.

DMC
10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
IaO69CF5mbY

Agloco
10-28-2012, 10:48 PM
I understand if you don't want to reveal your salary, but my guess is a nuclear whateverthehellyoudo (and that's not me trying to be condescending about your science degree, that's me not wanting to attempt to correctly spell your occupation :lol) doesn't exactly worry about putting food on the table.

Ya, but one requires balance. I happen to like what I do. If I didn't, I'd walk away from it and the flatbed semi that delivers my paycheck.

Agloco
10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
IaO69CF5mbY

The master speaks. I'm proud to have met him before his passing.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Well I'm largely majoring in Accounting/Finance because I enjoy it. Nothing gets my dick harder than analyzing a company's annual report, doing a cash flows projection and giving an estimated corporate value.

Agloco
10-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Well I'm largely majoring in Accounting/Finance because I enjoy it. Nothing gets my dick harder than analyzing a company's annual report, doing a cash flows projection and giving an estimated corporate value.

Kudos. And because you like it, odds are you'll wind up parlaying your gig into a fairly lucrative career with less effort than you might think.

Agloco
10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Interesting. Is this a project centered on evaluating cytotoxicity towards various cell lines? There are papers in literature suggesting uncoated iron oxide nanoparticles exhibit a degree of cytotoxicity.

I'm also aware that the usage of iron oxide nanoparticles has become a rampant tool for the labeling of cells when doing an MRI...does your project focus on analytical optimizations?

Sorry, I kept missing your post......

Doesn't focus on optimization per se, although post processing is a critical component of what we do clinically.

The project investigates the use of USPIO to cause mechanical stress in cells. It's purely investigational at this stage, but quite promising. We've found that certain gradient sequences are capable of moving these particles around in cell cultures. We can achieve this effect at field strengths as low as .3T with concentrations typically given clinically.

Latarian Milton
10-28-2012, 11:22 PM
its good stuff to make nearly 6 figures a year with degrees in accounting, finance or engineering but it's always from the queer degrees that you gain a better overview of your life. money isn't everything in one's life and those living the happiest lives are not always the ones who have the biggest bank accounts. education might give you an easy path to a good job and a wealthy life, but that's not what it's all about tbh.

GoodOdor
10-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I wanna hear more about those doctors/engineers/lawyers in Funt's graduate class that decided it would be a good idea
to go get a liberal arts degree and work as librarians.:lol

dirk4mvp
10-29-2012, 12:15 AM
great thread

m>s
10-29-2012, 06:00 AM
college edu has been so fucked up these days it wont give you any prestige or any useful skills in the new work force. say you might have a degree in computer engineering but can still end up taking a deadend shitty job at starbuck. so it doesn't really matter what your major is IMHO, the complete shit is worthless no matter what

benefactor
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
great thread
Indeed...went from a goofy back and forth dick measuring contest to DMC completely sweeping the leg on liberal arts people...then giving a couple of kicks to the face for good measure.

DMC
10-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Kudos. And because you like it, odds are you'll wind up parlaying your gig into a fairly lucrative career with less effort than you might think.
No, he's not interested in money. Not everything we do is about money. Perhaps it completes him. Education is for the soul.

CuckingFunt
10-29-2012, 11:44 AM
A science major can dig down and read romeo and juliet and write a report for some english class

You have clearly never been a TA for a high level writing intensive course. A lot of the science majors can't write worth shit.

Which, to be clear, is meant merely as a statement and not as a judgment. Science majors have chosen a profession for which developing those skills is unnecessary. So they are relatively unaffected by being unable to write well. But the claim that any science major could sit down and bang out a competent academic paper just because they're smart enough to do so is asinine and isn't supported by my own experiences having to read/grade tons of art history papers over the last couple of years.

However, I would never assume that a science major who writes a shit art history paper did so because they lack the intellectual capacity for academic writing. That would be stupid. The reverse is stupid, too. Everyone is different and is motivated by different things, but it cannot be assumed that just because someone chose a focus in the humanities, they did so because they lack the intellectual capacity to make it in the sciences.

I mean if you want to say liberal arts is "hard" in the sense that watching paint dry is hard then sure, but it doesn't require as much ability or brain power.

As Ploto pointed out in the post you quoted, and as I've said many times in this thread, the two disciplines are too different to compare in terms of one being objectively harder than the other. There is no question in my mind that an engineering degree is incredibly difficult. My only contention in this thread is that, just because it's not based in science, an advanced degree in the humanities/arts/liberal arts should not be written off as easy or frivolous.

CuckingFunt
10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Sure it does. If you think "what's expected" is the norm, you're too long out of a real job. If you get an internship at an engineering firm, you have an open door to get placement once you graduate. That depends largely upon your ability to show how effective you are during your internship. It's not just showing up and fetching coffee. I've hired several recent grads that I knew already on a first name basis and who already knew our systems because they interned and spent a lot of time being useful. When they go, you feel you're short a good resource so you seek to even get a req opened for a new hire. These are not vague concepts to anyone who's hired interns.

Do you honestly think this is unique to engineering internships?

We had a couple liberal arts majors decorating the break room however (true story).

So you didn't have non-engineering majors do engineering work? Shocking. If I ran a museum and took on a couple of engineering majors as interns, I likely wouldn't rely on them for their art historical knowledge.

Thank god that true story happened, though, else you'd be robbed of a sick burn.

Stop equivocating reading and volume with technical difficulty.

I haven't done that. You've accused me numerous times in this thread of attempting to equivocate or directly compare the work of an engineering student to that of a liberal arts student, but my position has always been that the differences in the two fields make such comparisons largely irrelevant, if not wholly impossible. The fact that engineering is hard does not mean that everything that's not engineering is automatically not hard.

CuckingFunt
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
You're assuming that engineers aren't culturally developed.

How is that different or worse than you and others in this thread assuming that liberal arts majors are only liberal arts majors because they're too stupid for the sciences?

CuckingFunt
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I wanna hear more about those doctors/engineers/lawyers in Funt's graduate class that decided it would be a good idea
to go get a liberal arts degree and work as librarians.:lol

And I wanna hear more about when Library/Information Sciences became a liberal arts program.

Rick Santorum
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM
And I wanna hear more about when Library/Information Sciences became a liberal arts program.

I'd rather hear about lawyers/doctors/engineers deciding to become librarians. It's a lot more entertaining.