PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Ferry leaves Spurs to become Cavaliers' GM

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Ferry leaves Spurs to become Cavaliers' GM
Web Posted: 06/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062705.1D.ferry.fb81b54.html

Champagne stains still drying in their locker room, the Spurs learned Sunday any work toward another championship now includes plugging a sizable hole in their front office.

Danny Ferry, the team's director of basketball operations the past two seasons, accepted an offer to become Cleveland's new general manager. The Cavaliers are expected to announce his hiring today.

Ferry, who played 10 seasons in Cleveland, will be charged with rebuilding the franchise around the NBA's brightest young star, LeBron James. He also will be reunited with former Spurs assistant Mike Brown, who was hired as the Cavaliers' head coach earlier this month.

Ferry called his decision to leave "unbelievably painful." He and his wife, Tiffany, debated for days whether to remain with the Spurs before finally agreeing to the Cavaliers' five-year deal Sunday morning. By Sunday evening, he was on a plane to Cleveland.

"The opportunity is exciting, and it just seemed like a great challenge," Ferry said. "But it had to be a great challenge because I love being in San Antonio, I love the Spurs, and my family was settled and happy."

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said he probably won't hire a new director of basketball operations until after the draft and free-agent signing period are completed. Sam Presti, the Spurs' director of player personnel, was already considered on equal level with Ferry, so the team is expected to fill the position with an outside hire.

"Danny's going to be very difficult to replace not only in our management, but in our Spurs family," Buford said. "His impact and the impact of his family was felt far beyond the walls of the office."

Ferry might not be the only Spurs' staffer to depart. Joe Prunty, the team's advance scout and summer-league coach, interviewed Sunday to join Avery Johnson's coaching staff in Dallas. Provided a deal can be arranged, Prunty is expected to leave.

Ferry played three seasons with the Spurs from 2000-03. In addition to becoming one of the team's more dependable 3-point shooters, his toughness, professionalism and sense of humor made him popular with his teammates and coaches.

After helping the Spurs win the 2003 championship, Ferry retired and joined the team's front-office staff. He helped Buford and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich in draft preparation, contract negotiations and trade discussions. Ferry also designed a nutritional program for the team that has been well received.

"R.C. and Pop have both been unbelievable with me, from when I was playing to doing front-office stuff," Ferry said. "If I do half as well as both of those guys, then I will have done great."

Cleveland hired Ferry under the assumption Detroit coach Larry Brown isn't going to also join the franchise. Larry Brown had previously discussed becoming the Cavaliers' president of basketball operations.

The chance to work again with Mike Brown, who was on the Spurs' coaching staff when Ferry played, factored heavily in Ferry's decision. In addition to having James under contract for at least two more seasons, the Cavaliers hope to use their salary-cap room to re-sign center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, a friend and former teammate of Ferry's.

Ferry will begin work today, leaving him little time to prepare for Tuesday's draft. The Cavaliers currently do not have a single draft pick but are reportedly looking to trade for one.

"I think Mike's going to be a great coach," Ferry said. "And with LeBron and the cap flexibility, I thought it was a rare situation I couldn't let pass.

"I had to feel comfortable with (the owners) as people because I was already so comfortable with the Spurs," added Ferry. "Everyone with the Spurs, from the women who work in the front office to the guys that clean the building, is just great people.

"I'm going to miss the quality and character of Tim (Duncan) and Manu (Ginobili) and the other players. They won the championship this year, and I think they have an opportunity to do it again.

"Not being around to contribute in some small way is disappointing."

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 02:47 AM
What a fucking fluff piece.

"I love the team, the city, everything, and it's hard for me to leave, I thought love and hard about it. Then I saw how much I was gonna get paid and said, I'm there!:

T Park
06-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Good luck Danny.

Hes been around for

5 seasons now.

Itll seem weird looking to my right and not seeing him cramped in the court luxury box with Presti and Buford.

Sense
06-27-2005, 02:56 AM
Do you really think that his presence ever affected the Spurs?

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-27-2005, 03:03 AM
What a fucking fluff piece.

"I love the team, the city, everything, and it's hard for me to leave, I thought love and hard about it. Then I saw how much I was gonna get paid and said, I'm there!:

Word was that Ferry really wanted to spend his days posting local building renderings on message boards and stealing photos to post them on a site dedicated to a boy band, but he found out he couldn't make $10M over the next five years to do THAT.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Word was that Ferry really wanted to spend his days posting local building renderings on message boards and stealing photos to post them on a site dedicated to a boy band, but he found out he couldn't make $10M over the next five years to do THAT.

I'm sure he could.

kris
06-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Hey Tpark, I know I asked you this before, but I forgot. What does your signature mean?

mattyc
06-27-2005, 04:05 AM
Good luck Danny Ferry.

Good fella.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 03:52 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Cavaliers finally have their general manager, and with not a moment to spare.

Danny Ferry, an All-American at Duke who spent the past two years in the front office of the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, has been hired as the Cavaliers' GM, team spokesman Tad Carper said Monday.

The Cavaliers have scheduled an afternoon news conference at Gund Arena to introduce Ferry, who is already well known to Cleveland fans. Before becoming a league executive, Ferry played 10 seasons with the Cavaliers.

Ferry won't have much time to settle into his new role since his hiring comes one day before the NBA draft and just a few days before free agency begins. The Cavs have roughly $25 million to spend in the market.

As for the draft, the club doesn't currently don't have a pick but have reportedly discussed trading forward Jiri Welsch for a second-round selection. That deal could be easier to make now that the Cavs have Ferry.

Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert has been looking for a GM since firing Jim Paxson a day after the Cavaliers' season ended without a playoff berth. Gilbert spoke with several other candidates before deciding on Ferry, who has been San Antonio's director of basketball operations under GM R.C. Buford the past two years.

The 38-year-old Ferry played in a club-record 723 games for the Cavaliers from 1990-2000.

Back in Cleveland, he'll be reunited with first-year Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, who was an assistant with the Spurs when Ferry spent his last three years as a player in San Antonio.

However, while Ferry's return will please Brown, it will surely bring back bad memories for some Cleveland fans.

Ferry was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in 1989 by the Los Angeles Clippers. But he held out in a contract dispute and played one season in Italy before the Cavaliers acquired his rights in a trade.

The club dealt rising star Ron Harper for Ferry and waited an entire season until he finished his contract in Italy. Cleveland then signed Ferry to a 10-year, $34 million contract, a decision that made it tough for them to get other players.

In Cleveland, Ferry will have some immediate challenges as he tries to rebuild the Cavs, who faded down the stretch last season.

When free agency beings on July 1, the also have to decide whether to re-sign All-Star center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who made $14.6 million last season. Ferry and Ilgauskas are former teammates and have remained close friends.

Ferry's top priority in Cleveland will be building a team around All-Star forward LeBron James.

On Friday, James said he would like to have input into which players are signed by the Cavaliers. He mentioned guards Michael Redd, Ray Allen and Larry Hughes and center Eddy Curry as players he would like to see in Cleveland.

Ferry is following in the footsteps of his father, Bob, who played 10 seasons in the NBA and was general manager of the Washington Bullets from 1973-90.

Now that the Cavaliers have their new coach and GM, it's still unclear how their front office will be structured. Cleveland has had preliminary talks with Detroit coach Larry Brown about becoming the club's president of basketball operations.

The 64-year-old Brown said before Game 7 of the NBA Finals that he will check into the Mayo Clinic on Wednesday. He'll be in the hospital to address a medical problem that developed from complications following hip surgery in November and hasn't improved.

Brown has said if doctors say he's healthy enough to coach that he wants to be with the Pistons next season.

T Park
06-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey Tpark, I know I asked you this before, but I forgot. What does your signature mean

Its TPark speak for "T Park is a maroon"

Nikos
06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Ray Allen is the best player and best fit for them if you disregard age.

Michael Redd might be the best fit with Lebron.

Hughes is a good player but he doesn't really fit with Bron all that well. If they had a great shooting PG it would make more sense, because Larry is more of a guy who can score and pass if he has the ball in his hands a lot. He can initiate an offense for Lebron, but he won't be a threat off Lebron's passing, at least not from 3 pt range.

Interested to see what Danny Ferry will do to give Bron some help. Redd seems like the most likely guy that they will obtain if you factor everything (age, $ etc..)

ObiwanGinobili
06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey Tpark, I know I asked you this before, but I forgot. What does your signature mean?

dude, thats Mike D'Antoni i nhis sig's picture.
get it?

Horry For 3!
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah they said on 1st & 10 that Ferry will be with the Cavs and which means Larry Brown won't be the Cavs President.

CalsonicKansei
06-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Danny Ferry is one of the worst number 2 pick in history.

samikeyp
06-27-2005, 04:30 PM
In an "unrelated" move...SpursWoman has demanded a transfer to her company's Cleveland office! :p