PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Copa America to be held in the US

TwinTowers
10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
It's official. CONMEBOL's 10 national teams will join six CONCACAF teams in the United States to take part in a special edition of the Copa America in 2016.

Continue reading. (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2012/10/24/3476079/conmebol-confirms-2016-copa-america-will-be-held-in-the)

scott
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Pretty awesome. I think Copa America eventually goes to this format full time to try to Rival the Euros (I know CONCACAF doesn't bring the level of teams that makes this tournament competitive with the Euros in teams of play, but this would really increase the popularity of the game in the US).

scott
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
And I believe Mexico and the US are automatically in, the other 4 CONCACAF teams need to qualify via the Gold Cup.

TwinTowers
10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I think CONMEBOL is only doing this for money reasons; Mexico/US is a huge market in terms of TV rights, ticket sells, etc. It would be interesting to see if they would be willing to merge CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for WC qualifiers. Doubt it though.

scott
10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I think CONMEBOL is only doing this for money reasons; Mexico/US is a huge market in terms of TV rights, ticket sells, etc. It would be interesting to see if they would be willing to merge CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for WC qualifiers. Doubt it though.

I doubt CONCACAF would ever agree to that

apalisoc_9
10-25-2012, 01:09 PM

The US and Mexico wouldn't even be favorites to qualify, probably wouldn't even qualify. It would make them a better team though. Australia joined the afc, knowing that there are at least 7-9 teams that can beat them in any given day instead of winning oceania an playing play-offs. their clubs heavily benefited with this decision.

I believe US and Mexican clubs would benefit from a merger just like Australian clubs did when they joined the AFC.

lefty
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
holy shit USA and Mexico are gonna get fuck:lold

IronMaxipad
10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
holy shit USA and Mexico are gonna get fuck:lold
Mexico has been going to Copa America since 1993 scro.. Nothing new for them. They haven't won but have two 2nd place finishes and three 3rd place finishes in 8 appearances. They'll be at the 2015 Copa america as well.

lefty
10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Mexico has been going to Copa America since 1993 scro.. Nothing new for them. They haven't won but have two 2nd place finishes and three 3rd place finishes in 8 appearances. They'll be at the 2015 Copa america as well.

they have been sending their B team, right?

Ok so only USA is gonna get fucked

IronMaxipad
10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
they have been sending their B team, right?

Ok so only USA is gonna get fucked
Only last year. Mexico was forced to send Under 23 team. and then half of the team got suspended for partying with hookers. :lol

They should be sending their A team 2015. Not sure about this 2016 cup though.

lefty
10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Only last year. Mexico was forced to send Under 23 team. and then half of the team got suspended for partying with hookers. :lol

They should be sending their A team 2015. Not sure about this 2016 cup though.

ah ok

TwinTowers
10-25-2012, 04:00 PM

I know USA used to get invited too; they even finished 4th in 1995. Any idea why they don't get invited anymore?

DAF86
10-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Messi gonna win this and the hype will be unbearable.

:lol lefty

Relevancy
10-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Messi gonna win this and the hype will be unbearable.

:lol lefty (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896) How old will Messi be in 2016? He probably wont be such a factor by than due to a new upcoming superstar sitting on Messi's throne, I hope he's still going strong by then since I'm a huge Messi fan:(

DAF86
10-25-2012, 06:44 PM
How old will Messi be in 2016? He probably wont be such a factor by than due to a new upcoming superstar sitting on Messi's throne, I hope he's still going strong by then since I'm a huge Messi fan:(

Pfft, he will be 28/29.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Not confirmed at all actually. US soccer is deny this right now.

DAF86
10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I hope it gets made.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Nor should they. That would be fucking dumb.

FkLA
10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
The US and Mexico wouldn't even be favorites to qualify, probably wouldn't even qualify. It would make them a better team though. Australia joined the afc, knowing that there are at least 7-9 teams that can beat them in any given day instead of winning oceania an playing play-offs. their clubs heavily benefited with this decision.

I believe US and Mexican clubs would benefit from a merger just like Australian clubs did when they joined the AFC.

Mexico would make it easily tbh. Especially if the automatic qualifiers were combined for a total of 7-8, no way we aint atleast the 7th best team in the Americas. Not to metnion the fact they have arguably the best home field advantage in the world.

DAF86
10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Bolivia has the best home field advantage by far, tbh.

Libri
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Well, if a national team felt that they had grown enough where they don't need to be part of a mediocre federation like Concacaf and want to measure themselves against the best on a continuous basis, then they could screw Concacaf, leave them and ask for membership into Conmebol. USA and Mexico would never do that, though.

ALVAREZ6
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
:tu

it's outrageous :lol

Peru should erect a stadium at the top of Machu Picchu

apalisoc_9
10-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Mexico would make it easily tbh. Especially if the automatic qualifiers were combined for a total of 7-8, no way we aint atleast the 7th best team in the Americas. Not to metnion the fact they have arguably the best home field advantage in the world.

I don't know why, but i was thinking of 5 teams to qualify. LOL

IronMexican
10-25-2012, 09:52 PM
If this works, they should really get rid of the Gold Cup, or at least make it every 4 years. 2 is dumb.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, if a national team felt that they had grown enough where they don't need to be part of a mediocre federation like Concacaf and want to measure themselves against the best on a continuous basis, then they could screw Concacaf, leave them and ask for membership into Conmebol. USA and Mexico would never do that, though.

Because it would be stupid. LOL @ you trying to spin it.

Libri
10-25-2012, 10:34 PM

No it's not. In fact some have suggested that if Mexico wanted to become part of the upper level teams of the world, particularly in world cup competition, then they should leave Concacaf, where competition is stagnant. Of course it's much more complicated than that because, as will always be, money is involved. USA on the other hand is crappier than ever, so it would be stupid for them. lol

Phenomanul
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Such a tourney would be awesome...!

FkLA
10-25-2012, 10:56 PM

I didnt mean strictly cause of elevation tbh, I know La Paz and even Quito are higher. I was also including the smog, the shear size of the stadium, the crowd, the fact that Mexico actually has a decent team, etc. Even Brasil and Argentina would struggle to get out of the Azteca with a win imo.

It would only be stupid financially.

MannyIsGod
10-25-2012, 11:06 PM
It would be stupid anyway you look at it. The US missing the WC would set the game back immensely here.

DAF86
10-26-2012, 12:33 AM
I didnt mean strictly cause of elevation tbh, I know La Paz and even Quito are higher. I was also including the smog, the shear size of the stadium, the crowd, the fact that Mexico actually has a decent team, etc. Even Brasil and Argentina would struggle to get out of the Azteca with a win imo.

I know what you meant, but even with all that is still Bolivia. On normal circumstances they would have trouble beating a team from the second division from most good football countries. At home they beat Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil by huge margins.

That's what I call big home field advantage, tbh.

FkLA
10-26-2012, 01:39 AM
It would be stupid anyway you look at it. The US missing the WC would set the game back immensely here.

Could be bad in the short term but long term its not even close, jts not like the sport is on the verge of exploding here in the States. Conmebol teams making trips to Columbus more often, and the potential for players to grow by playing against tougher competition is a better option than staying put imo. You dont grow a bigger following or as a team by playing Guatemala and Jamaica.

I know what you meant, but even with all that is still Bolivia. On normal circumstances they would have trouble beating a team from the second division from most good football countries. At home they beat Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil by huge margins.

That's what I call big home field advantage, tbh.

I remember that 5-1 they put on Argentina a couple years ago but that doesnt happen often does it? I would imagine theyd atleast be a mid-table team in the qualifying standings if they simply held serve at home instead of always being bottom dwellers. I agree that they def have a huge HFA but they still lose there on a regular basis so not sure Id give them the top spot. If they ever get a solid generation they probably would be though, kinda how Ecuador was really dominant in Quito those couple times they made the WC.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Could be bad in the short term but long term its not even close, jts not like the sport is on the verge of exploding here in the States. Conmebol teams making trips to Columbus more often, and the potential for players to grow by playing against tougher competition is a better option than staying put imo. You dont grow a bigger following or as a team by playing Guatemala and Jamaica.

Um you're not paying attention because it most definitely IS on the verge of exploding. The US plays plenty of tough competition. They do better in the WC over the past 12 years than any COMEBOL team with the exception of Arg, Brazil, and Uruguay. Its stupid to give up an easy road to the WC for the sake of competition they can get at any point due to their draws and ability to schedule pretty much any friendly they want.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2012, 04:32 AM
I honestly have no idea how you can say that soccer isn't on the verge of exploding in the United States.

-Portland Crowds over the past few years developing from 2nd division soccer.
-Seattle same thing
-San Antonio drawing 10k+ on average for 2nd division soccer.
-Explosion of soccer specific statidums all over the country.
-More soccer specific networks than at any time EVER
-Major overseas events like the Euros getting big time play in the US
-Fox actually airing EPL games on their main network
-NBC, Fox, and ESPN engaging in bidding wars for broadcast rights.

MannyIsGod
10-26-2012, 04:34 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/258411087/GrantWahl_normal.jpgGrant Wahl

[*=left]✔

@GrantWahl
Seattle Sounders averaged 43,144 attendance, higher than all but 5 Premier League, 3 La Liga and 2 Serie A teamsseattletimes.com/html/soundersf… (http://t.co/G1HPsLBT)

Relevancy
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM

It would only be stupid financially.
Trust me, Argentina and Brazil would have no problem getting a victory in there, your confuse with this because you've only seen Mexico face Concacaf opponents recently :lol. Mexico is who they are, a team that is way above the Concacaf division but way way below true power houses, even if Argentina doesn't really belong with the likes of Spain, Germany etc.. they are still way above Mexico, The Azteca doesn't really have that same effect as it did back in the Aspe and Matador days...

Phenomanul
10-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Ahem... It seems like your own bias is getting in the way of the facts... Mexico's record versus Brazil over the last decade includes 7 victories, 2 draws and 2 losses... They've amassed wins versus many of the European powerhouses in that span as well... They're not quite elite, but they aren't yesteryear's pushovers either...

Phenomanul
10-26-2012, 10:28 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/258411087/GrantWahl_normal.jpgGrant Wahl

[*=left]✔

@GrantWahl
Seattle Sounders averaged 43,144 attendance, higher than all but 5 Premier League, 3 La Liga and 2 Serie A teamsseattletimes.com/html/soundersf… (http://t.co/G1HPsLBT)

That's encouraging news... :tu

Relevancy
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Ahem... It seems like your own bias is getting in the way of the facts... Mexico's record versus Brazil over the last decade includes 7 victories, 2 draws and 2 losses... They've amassed wins versus many of the European powerhouses in that span as well... They're not quite elite, but they aren't yesteryear's pushovers either...I'm not making Mexico look like a Guayana :lol the victories they've gotten against the European powerhouses have been mostly friendlies if I'm correct, if I'm not will you please correct me. I was just saying that any elite team can walk into the Azteca and win, It won't be easy but the Azteca is not the same as it used to be.. I'm Mexican myself but I cannot see Mexico boom into the Elite category with the players we produce.. I hope I see it during my life time tho.

FkLA
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Um you're not paying attention because it most definitely IS on the verge of exploding. The US plays plenty of tough competition. They do better in the WC over the past 12 years than any COMEBOL team with the exception of Arg, Brazil, and Uruguay. Its stupid to give up an easy road to the WC for the sake of competition they can get at any point due to their draws and ability to schedule pretty much any friendly they want.

Its really not tbh. It has definitely grown over the years but it still takes a backseat to football, basketball, baseball and even hockey as far as media coverage/fan interest goes. Possible improvement of the team+the attraction of playing Conmebol teams is more likely to change that than staying pat imo.

Trust me, Argentina and Brazil would have no problem getting a victory in there, your confuse with this because you've only seen Mexico face Concacaf opponents recently :lol. Mexico is who they are, a team that is way above the Concacaf division but way way below true power houses, even if Argentina doesn't really belong with the likes of Spain, Germany etc.. they are still way above Mexico, The Azteca doesn't really have that same effect as it did back in the Aspe and Matador days...

The Azteca is still one of the toughest places to play in, that hasnt changed. If anything it may be tougher since the players Mexico produces now are more talented than the ones they produced in the 90s. Obviously theyre not on the level of elite teams but the huge HFA is what would even up the match-up. I wouldnt be surprised if they lost more qualifying games at home in just one Conmebol go around than they have in all of their history in Concacaf qualifying though. :lol

MannyIsGod
10-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Definitely not a backseat to hockey at all. And I just gave you examples of how rapidly the sport is growing here all of which involve large amounts of money that you can't counter. Anyone who's paying attention to soccer in the US knows that its exploding right now.

ALVAREZ6
10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Definitely not a backseat to hockey at all. And I just gave you examples of how rapidly the sport is growing here all of which involve large amounts of money that you can't counter. Anyone who's paying attention to soccer in the US knows that its exploding right now.
:tu

FkLA
10-29-2012, 03:50 AM
I acknowledged those things and agreed that it has grown. But to say its ready to explode when most of its games are still broadcast in affiliates of the major networks (ESPN2, NBC Sports Network, Galavision, etc) is a stretch. Besides alot of those things like the Sounders attendance has been going on for a while, its not like that just started.

MannyIsGod
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Of course it just started. The Sounders have only been in the MLS for a couple of years. Portland has only been in for 2 years. The number of soccer specific stadiums has dramaticall increased in the past few years in the MLS.

NBC just aired a red bull game on Sunday. NBC is currently the leader in a huge bid to get the EPL games and air them on the regular network. The idea that the games just being on cable is somehow poor is bizarre. Over the past 15 years NBA games have gone mostly to cable. NFL games are the ones that are still broadcast mostly on network TV but even they've lost MNF to cable and Thursday night games to the NFL. There are fewer sports today on network TV so I'm not sure why thats a knock on soccer at all.

The total number of people attending MLS games has nearly DOUBLED in the past few years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

51% increase from 2008 to 2012 in Euro viewers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1244834-espn-tv-ratings-for-euro-2012-new-record-viewings-in-us-for-soccer-final

NBC getting 78% more viewers for their games than Fox Soccer did

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1388210-nbcs-purchase-of-epl-tv-rights-marks-the-start-of-a-new-age-for-american-soccer

I mean, if thats not explosive growth then what is?

FkLA
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Its not the fact that theyre on cable but that fact that theyre aired in affiliates of the major networks. Its one thing to have games air on ESPN and another to have them aired on ESPN2. Even the most recent USA-Mexico game which saw you guys get your first win at the Azteca was on ESPN2. I will concede though that going off of the ratings it does seem like fan interest is growing at a faster rate than I had assumed. Its still considerably less than the other major sports though. Id love for the game to explode here but until I see more than just the occasional game sneaking into a major network or the occasional team averaging 40k in attendance Im not going to hold my breath.

NASpurs
10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
As part of the new deal, Lazarus said EPL fans can expect a number of games to be broadcast on over-the-air NBC. Those matches will likely air Saturdays and be shown live. Lazarus predicted viewers might see up to 18-20 games on NBC during the season, which would be a significant increase from Fox's over-the-air broadcasts.

That's part of the new NBC deal that. NBC just paid 250 mil for three years for the rights to the EPL. Yeah... it's not exploding...