PDA

View Full Version : Would Belichick ever be desperate enough to do this?

Monostradamus
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--direct-snap--patriots--bill-belichick-could-help-his-porous-secondary-by-doing-the-unthinkable.html

Good points as to why Belichick should hire Mangini ASAP to fix the secondary. If he is't desperate enough to do this, he should be.

Monostradamus
10-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Also, cue Chargerfans and Spygate jokes.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-26-2012, 10:27 PM
He should even swallow enough pride to make Mangini defensive coordinator if Mangini wants it, but I doubt Mangini would be willing to swallow the pride to do that as well.

It shouldn't just start there. After the abortion that was the 2009 Patriots, Belichick should have been just as anxious to hire recently fired Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as the Chiefs were. If the 2010 Patriots had Weis and Crennel as the OC and DC, they would have won a superbowl. After Crennel loses his job in KC and Weis loses his job in Kansas, Belichick shouldn't make that mistake not trying to rehire them again. For years now though Belichick has put his ego ahead of winning and he'll never try to hard to hire an elite assistant coach again.

I'm glad to see that there's actual media pressure for Belichick to fix the flaw with his defensive coaching staff that's been obvious for years. The amount of players in the secondary who get worse every year they're with New England makes it clear the coaching is the problem.

mojorizen7
10-27-2012, 06:10 AM
SB XXXVI was 150% http://realramsfans.com/images/smiles/bs.gif
Tom Brady is a girl.
Bill Belichick is a Dick with a hoodie and a headset.
Lets kick these mofo's candy a**es into the bloody British dirt on Sunday.

That is all.

Monostradamus
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
SB XXXVI was 150% http://realramsfans.com/images/smiles/bs.gif
Tom Brady is a girl.
Bill Belichick is a Dick with a hoodie and a headset.
Lets kick these mofo's candy a**es into the bloody British dirt on Sunday.

That is all.
:tu time to BEAT the CHEATriots! (Get it?) :lmao

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
He should even swallow enough pride to make Mangini defensive coordinator if Mangini wants it, but I doubt Mangini would be willing to swallow the pride to do that as well.

Can I ask you why you believe he's the answer?
When he was defensive coordinator in 2005 the pats were 31st in the NFL in passing yards and 30th in yards per attempt

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
The 2005 Pats were battered by injuries and had to deal with several significant players from the year before retiring/leaving/getting injured. He'd certainly be better than the current shit secondary they have.

I'd rather them rehire Crennel and Weis once they're both fired at the end of the season though.

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--direct-snap--patriots--bill-belichick-could-help-his-porous-secondary-by-doing-the-unthinkable.html

Good points as to why Belichick should hire Mangini ASAP to fix the secondary. If he is't desperate enough to do this, he should be.
When he was coaching the secondary, with the likes of Law, Milloy and Harrisson and also back when DBs could maul receivers
here is how the pats ranked in passing yards and yards per attempt
2000: 21st/21st
2001: 24th/19th
2002: 11th/10th
2003: 15th/2nd
2004: 17th/10th

Fuck Eric Mangini. He shouldn't be associated with the pats whatsoever

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Do you deny that there is currently a massive problem with the coaching staff in place for the secondary?

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:19 PM
The 2005 Pats were battered by injuries and had to deal with several significant players from the year before retiring/leaving/getting injured. He'd certainly be better than the current shit secondary they have.

I'd rather them rehire Crennel and Weis once they're both fired at the end of the season though.
He'd still have the same awful players we have now...Although I agree that they struggle with their technique and seem to fail grasping the zone scheme, they are not talented. The only average guy they have plays 6-10 games a season

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Do you deny that there is currently a massive problem with the coaching staff in place for the secondary?
Of course I agree with you that there is a problem. I just don't agree with your coaching solutions

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I think with the right coaching, McCourty would be a good, borderline great corner. He demonstrated the ability his rookie year. I had high hopes for Ras-I Dowling, but then his name changed to Ras-IR Dowling (Get it! Cause he spends so much time on IR!) and that's never gonna happen.

Arrington could be coached to being a good nickel corner but nothing more. He should never be playing on the outside.

Dennard I have hope for but it's only a matter of time before the coaches teach him how to commit PI and fuck up.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Of course I agree with you that there is a problem. I just don't agree with your coaching solutions
Then who would you hire? My first choice would be Crennel before Mangini (and Mangini is never coming back to New England so that's a moot point anyway).

DeadlyDynasty
10-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I loved the Dennard pick in the 6th or 7th...definitely a steal if they develop him right.

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Then who would you hire? My first choice would be Crennel before Mangini (and Mangini is never coming back to New England so that's a moot point anyway).
I think they should change their scheme before making a coaching change. They rarely get pressure with their front 4. They should blitz more (I don't have the time to find the data but I think they pats blitz the least in the league). By blitzing they let their DBs be in man to man (which is when they seem to excel) and most importantly they won't have to cover for long.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I think they should change their scheme before making a coaching change. They rarely get pressure with their front 4. They should blitz more (I don't have the time to find the data but I think they pats blitz the least in the league). By blitzing they let their DBs be in man to man (which is when they seem to excel) and most importantly they won't have to cover for long.
I agree with all of that. The vanilla 4-3 where they rush 4 and drop 7 fits their personnel horribly. You need at least 3 freakish pass rushers for the vanilla 4-3 to work. They need to go back to the 3-4 and have a more creative way of generating pressure. I think maybe having Love at NT and moving Wilfork to 3-4 DE so he can worry less about gap control and more about pressure would be the best move.

I also think they need to make it less easy for a TE or RB to be matched up with Brandon Spikes in coverage.

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I agree with all of that. The vanilla 4-3 where they rush 4 and drop 7 fits their personnel horribly. You need at least 3 freakish pass rushers for the vanilla 4-3 to work. They need to go back to the 3-4 and have a more creative way of generating pressure. I think maybe having Love at NT and moving Wilfork to 3-4 DE so he can worry less about gap control and more about pressure would be the best move.

I also think they need to make it less easy for a TE or RB to be matched up with Brandon Spikes in coverage.

I agree with the 3-4 concept, except with the Spikes part. Although he has improved as a blitzer and run stuffer he has been poor in pass coverage this year. I would use him and Hightower (as they are our best blitzers) and let Mayo cover the TE or the RB out of the backfield.
Also did you see how Spikes has been clutch for us lately? Impressive

Edit: reading comprehension fail...my bad

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I agree with the 3-4 concept, except with the Spikes part. Although he has improved as a blitzer and run stuffer he has been poor in pass coverage this year. I would use him and Hightower (as they are our best blitzers) and let Mayo cover the TE or the RB out of the backfield.
Also did you see how Spikes has been clutch for us lately? Impressive

Edit: reading comprehension fail...my bad
:lol I was wondering for a sec if you read that right

The biggest issue I see with the shift to a 3-4 is if they have enough big bodies for a good 3-4 line. If Love and Wilfork continue to stay healthy and can continue to play every snap (which is the one thing this defense has going for it imo along with Chandler Jones) then a 3-4 would work. Ron Brace had a really strong preseason + training camp yet we haven't seen much of him this year at all which might change with a switch to a 3-4. I'd probably go w/ a starting front of Deaderick, Love, and Wilfork with Brace as the 1st sub for the group.

The big reason why I wanna see a 3-4 is they'd have a solid 3 man rotation at 3-4 OLB with Jones, Ninkovich and Cunningham, while they wouldn't need Spikes, Hightower and Mayo all in at the same time and could rotate them too. Hightower is their best coverage linebacker and best blitzing linebacker so he could be in with Mayo on obvious passing downs while Spikes could stick to 1st and 2nd down.

san antonio spurs
10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
:lol I was wondering for a sec if you read that right

The biggest issue I see with the shift to a 3-4 is if they have enough big bodies for a good 3-4 line. If Love and Wilfork continue to stay healthy and can continue to play every snap (which is the one thing this defense has going for it imo along with Chandler Jones) then a 3-4 would work. Ron Brace had a really strong preseason + training camp yet we haven't seen much of him this year at all which might change with a switch to a 3-4. I'd probably go w/ a starting front of Deaderick, Love, and Wilfork with Brace as the 1st sub for the group.

The big reason why I wanna see a 3-4 is they'd have a solid 3 man rotation at 3-4 OLB with Jones, Ninkovich and Cunningham, while they wouldn't need Spikes, Hightower and Mayo all in at the same time and could rotate them too. Hightower is their best coverage linebacker and best blitzing linebacker so he could be in with Mayo on obvious passing downs while Spikes could stick to 1st and 2nd down.
I agree with your take. Brace and Love need to stay healthy though, can they? That's the problem...and maybe why BB switched to a 4-3