PDA

View Full Version : Went to game tonight.....

SequSpur
10-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Bonner is absolutely terrible. I don't get it... WTF? I mean why?

Sean Cagney
10-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Bonner is absolutely terrible. I don't get it... WTF? I mean why?

He is utter garbage, the day they re-signed that clown again when he was a FA is the day I said this team doesn't want to win another title. I hate this clowns game, I really hate his damn game.

Boomersgold
10-26-2012, 11:54 PM
He is utter garbage, the day they re-signed that clown again when he was a FA is the day I said this team doesn't want to win another title. I hate this clowns game, I really hate his damn game.

Bonner's a good guy, but he seriously needs to improve his game if he wants to contribute the Spurs.

Bruno
10-26-2012, 11:57 PM
If Pop wanted to have Bonner in the rotation like he seems to be the case, he should have given him more minutes in the preseason.

What's worse than Bonner, is a rusty Bonner and we will have to endure that early this season.

freetiago
10-27-2012, 02:45 AM
he shoots 3s with nobody within a 10 foot radius of him
he can warm up before games and not be rusty

i blame horry for this
arguably the best stretch 4 roleplayer ever
could defend post players and hit big 3s
even though he was old and washed up when he got here popovich went full don nelson

Spurs Brazil
10-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Matt Bonner went 0 for 4 to finish the preseason without a field goal

SA210
10-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Looked like Bonner was in pure post season form.. :tu

therealtruth
10-27-2012, 03:00 PM

i blame horry for this
even though he was old and washed up when he got here popovich went full don nelson

Exactly. Resigning Bonner was a sign the franchise has lost it's way. They may do well in the regular season but they are no longer contending for championships.

spurs10
10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
All of our shooting percentages are as good as Matt's. That's going to win a lot of games! I truly believe Pop was playing him to give him another chance to redeem himself. I don't think he will be getting the minutes he got last night. He, Blair, and Bonner came in the game and they went up by 13 in about 3 minutes!!

AussieFanKurt
10-27-2012, 07:38 PM
All of our shooting percentages are as good as Matt's. That's going to win a lot of games! I truly believe Pop was playing him to give him another chance to redeem himself. I don't think he will be getting the minutes he got last night. He, Blair, and Bonner came in the game and they went up by 13 in about 3 minutes!!

hes had numerous chances to redeem himself tbh

spurs10
10-27-2012, 09:57 PM
hes had numerous chances to redeem himself tbh
Very true.....I don't get it!

superbigtime
10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
uh. bonner sucks. I don't care what the FO has done, who they have brought in, or who they drafted, or how many championships the Spurs have won. Bottom line: This guy is proof that the people in charge are fucking stupid. He has the mojo of a dead possum. I just hate bonner (not as a person).

YoMamaIsCallin
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
It's always interesting to read the Bonner hate. Where does it come from? Style over substance maybe?

Look, he ain't an all star or even a starter on a good team. And he's not paid like one. But he knows the system cold, doesn't try to do more than he can, doesn't make mental mistakes, gives effort, and is low maintenance. And he's a big who can space the floor and force defenses to rotate to him, because he'll score if defenses collapse on others. His TSP last season was .597, good for 22nd place overall in the league, his PER was 13.2 just slightly worse than average.

Who ya gonna replace his minutes with? Nobody else on the Spurs has anything close to his package among the bigs. For the spread offense he's almost ideal.

Just for fun pulled the ESPN report on Bonner. Pretty much agrees with what I said.

Scouting report
+ Ruggedly built 3-point marksman with a high-arcing launch off the shoulder.
+ Not a creator, but can shoot runners off the dribble. No post game. Rarely rebounds
+ Good size but unathletic. Won't block shots. Struggles in pick-and-roll defense.

Analysis
Bonner refined his high-efficiency game even further last season, posting the lowest turnover ratio in basketball at a miniscule 3.2 while passing well enough to lead all power forwards in pure point rating -- a seemingly impossible combo that he nonetheless pulled off (see chart). Bonner led the league by a wide margin, while ranking fourth among power forwards in true shooting percentage.
Bonner took more than two-thirds of his shots from beyond the arc and hit a stellar 42.0 percent of them, but he again showed a knack for taking a dribble or two in and converting on the move. Bonner made 16 of his 31 attempts from 3 to 9 feet, a range where most players struggle.

Unfortunately, he didn't create nearly enough of those opportunities, with the sixth-lowest usage rate among power forwards, and his shooting threat proved fairly easy for prepared teams to extinguish during the playoffs. He also never drew fouls -- only two players had a lower free throw rate.

Defensively, Bonner is again an extreme low-mistake player -- he had the lowest rate of fouls and the lowest rate of steals among power forwards. He's useless on the boards, ranking 68th out of 70 power forwards, and he's not an elite individual defender, but he's become quite adept in the team concept. Synergy gave Bonner sparkling ratings, and opposing power forwards had just an 8.9 PER against him. While those numbers overstate things, he's become very solid at this end.

FkLA
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Matty Ice is gonna shit on ST this season.

manustarting2gd
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Correct. During the regular season not playoffs ..he is Matt Bonner. Massive reverse jinx thread.

Sean Cagney
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM

i blame horry for this
He wasn't that washed up, he still had a very good run for us in playoff games! He still had stuff left in the tank, older but still had that clutch and could play some really good D (Something Bonner does neither of). Pop I agree fell in love with that stretch 4, unfortunately Bonner is not it.
Bonner's a good guy, but he seriously needs to improve his game if he wants to contribute the Spurs.

He has proven he can't.
I have heard this for years, the people who used to say it eventually gave up on this false hope. Matty Ice btw Is Matt Ryan, a player who actually is very good. If you mean the playoff dissapearances though you might be right calling him that as they both do. There is no ICE in his veins though.

It's always interesting to read the Bonner hate. Where does it come from? Style over substance maybe?

Look, he ain't an all star or even a starter on a good team. And he's not paid like one. But he knows the system cold, doesn't try to do more than he can, doesn't make mental mistakes, gives effort, and is low maintenance. And he's a big who can space the floor and force defenses to rotate to him, because he'll score if defenses collapse on others. His TSP last season was .597, good for 22nd place overall in the league, his PER was 13.2 just slightly worse than average.

Who ya gonna replace his minutes with? Nobody else on the Spurs has anything close to his package among the bigs. For the spread offense he's almost ideal.
d.
Who are you going to replace him with? I wish they would try with someone else, he like we all said dissapears during the playoffs and the stats prove it! His % goes way down when it starts to count. You can put up all the stats you want but the 30% shooting or less in the playoffs is the only stat I care about. He is not decent on D, the guys fly past him alot of times, any athleticism he gets blown by.

He hesitates to shoot it seems even wide open in the playoffs, instead puts it on the ground and nothing ever good comes out of that. I know some try to say doesn't cost alot and low maintenance, but if he is not helping the team win in the playoffs why should I like this guy? It happens every single year (Numbers are bad later in the year to the playoffs). He doesn't have it, he has proven he doesn't HAVE IT and I will continue not to like the guy because he doesn't contribute to the team I root for in the playoffs when it finally counts. I don't care about some stats earlier in the year or +/- or any of that crap, I look for guys who help your team win when the playoffs come and he is far from that and will continue to be. Stretch big, forget it they need a real big next to TIM Duncan.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Like I said.... WHO you going to replace him with? It's not a question of Bonner in the abstract... that's been discussed to death. It's a question of WHO ELSE.

People have brought up Steve Novak. That's a no... you can't play for the Spurs and not play defense.
People have brought up Eddy Curry. How many centers do you need, seriously? We have Diaw, Splitter, and Blair. There's a reason he was released. And, Bonner is a completely different kind of player from Curry.

NRHector
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM

game? what game? I didn't know he had game

CubanMustGo
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
game? what game? I didn't know he had game

He's had regular season game for years (if you call being able to hit uncontested threes 'game'). Last year he went into his annual playoff swoon earlier than usual.

spursince#99
11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
we'd be so much better with Steve Novak

Drz
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Like I said.... WHO you going to replace him with? It's not a question of Bonner in the abstract... that's been discussed to death. It's a question of WHO ELSE.

People have brought up Steve Novak. That's a no... you can't play for the Spurs and not play defense.
People have brought up Eddy Curry. How many centers do you need, seriously? We have Diaw, Splitter, and Blair. There's a reason he was released. And, Bonner is a completely different kind of player from Curry.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/cawkmeatsandwich/LULS/25903973-cry-gif-.gif

Sean Cagney
11-04-2012, 02:01 AM
He's had regular season game for years (if you call being able to hit uncontested threes 'game'). Last year he went into his annual playoff swoon earlier than usual.

Oh yeah this clown sees the playoffs coming he turns into the punk he is, now it starts a month or so earlier though.

DapDaGenius
11-04-2012, 03:06 AM
So were you guys for or against the rumors of Caron Butler coming to San Antonio?

Also why are so many threads disguised as one thing.....but end up talking about how much they hate Bonner?

Ice009
11-04-2012, 05:04 AM
So were you guys for or against the rumors of Caron Butler coming to San Antonio?

Also why are so many threads disguised as one thing.....but end up talking about how much they hate Bonner?

If the Spurs signed Butler, most people thought that would have meant the unmentionable one ;) being amnestied, so pretty much most people would have been on board with that at the time.