PDA

View Full Version : How well, if at all did the Allies know the Hollocaust was happening?

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Thought I'd pose this question as I've been watching a mini-series about WWII and was curious.

Anyone have any idea about this?

EDIT:

I'm talking about pre - Normandy landings

Vici
10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
From what I remember, there were rumors. I remember reading that initially they Russians started claiming it and this was thought to be more propaganda than truth. To give give proof to this idea, when the troops started discovering the camps. they had no idea what was going on and how to react. Had the Allies had a clear notion of this, they absolutely would have used this as propaganda against the Nazis. No better way to shore up support and money at home.

boutons_deux
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Jews weren't important to the East Coast Establishment of Ivy League, white, wealthy Christians running America in the '30s and '40s.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/holocaust/filmmore/index.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/holocaust/filmmore/transcript/

scampers
10-28-2012, 12:33 PM
My grandfather was with a unit that liberated a camp. I remember him telling me stories of how shocked everyone was, they had no idea the Germans were doing those kinds of things. That doesn't mean nobody knew about it, but his outfit was never told they'd be stumbling across concentration camps once they got to Europe.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Thought I'd pose this question as I've been watching a mini-series about WWII and was curious.

EDIT:

I'm talking about pre - Normandy landingsThere were reports of mass killings that got to the allies as early as 1942, mainly from escaped prisoners. They were not publicized much because there wasn't corroboration and western officials didn't want the war effort to be characterized as a struggle to help the Jews.

The first report that was fully accepted as credible was in April 1944 from an escapee who had a photographic memory and whose testimony was corroborated by government records. News from that report started hitting US papers right before D-Day.

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the insight, it was something I figured the average GI Joe didn't know about but potentially the blokes up the top did. I would hope if they knew the magnitude of the killing they would have invaded quickly but I guess ultimately they picked the right time.

russellgoat
10-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the insight, it was something I figured the average GI Joe didn't know about but potentially the blokes up the top did. I would hope if they knew the magnitude of the killing they would have invaded quickly but I guess ultimately they picked the right time.

Shut up imperialist. No country have the right to invade another country!!!

DMC
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
There's always a holocaust happening somewhere in the world, we only concern ourselves after the fact.

DMC
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Shut up imperialist. No country have the right to invade another country!!!

So who's the governing authority that enforces these rights? In the world of the real, might makes right.

Koolaid_Man
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM

EDIT:

I'm talking about pre - Normandy landings

Isn't it amazing how it's ok to watch TV shows, build museums, study it colleges around the country and talk about the Holocaust but Slavery is off limits...hmmmmm I wonder why...it seems everytime white America is responsible for the crime they want to hide it or it's taboo...but when someone perpetrates a crime against humanity it's to be study and discussed ad-nauseam.

Koolaid_Man
10-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Let em rephrase "but when someone else perpetrates a crime against humanity it's to be study and discussed ad-nauseam."

Koolaid_Man
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
my typing is all fucked up this evenign

AussieFanKurt
10-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Isn't it amazing how it's ok to watch TV shows, build museums, study it colleges around the country and talk about the Holocaust but Slavery is off limits...hmmmmm I wonder why...it seems everytime white America is responsible for the crime they want to hide it or it's taboo...but when someone perpetrates a crime against humanity it's to be study and discussed ad-nauseam.

While I don't know if slavery is off limits in the US, I was asking about Hollocaust, why bring another topic in?

DMC
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
my typing is all fucked up this evenign

Mad Dog will do that to you.

DMC
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Because when someone makes a movie about the Holocaust, Jews don't shoot up the theater.

Spurminator
10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Because when someone makes a movie about the Holocaust, Jews don't shoot up the theater.

Wait, was The Dark Knight Rises about slavery?

DMC
10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Wait, was The Dark Knight Rises about slavery?

Pretty sure it wasn't about the holocaust.

Spurminator
10-28-2012, 10:44 PM
So what you're saying is movies about slavery cause theater shootings, as evidenced by The Dark Knight Rises.

DMC
10-28-2012, 11:10 PM
So what you're saying is movies about slavery cause theater shootings, as evidenced by The Dark Knight Rises.

TZ6-AK3V0-Y

Settle down Farrakhan.

DJ Mbenga
10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
they knew damn well, but fdr was one of the most indecisive cold blooded people ever, and the us took a cried wolf approach, they were mislead in ww1 of atrocities so they were more cautious. in addition the country was war weary, it took something like pearl harbor for people to want to go in

Winehole23
10-29-2012, 03:23 AM
There's always a holocaust happening somewhere in the world, we only concern ourselves after the fact.Kosovo?

Winehole23
10-29-2012, 03:26 AM
We preemptively saved a narco-state there . . . by preemptively bombing the shit out of Yugoslavia. But maybe you're too young to remember . . .

Winehole23
10-29-2012, 03:28 AM
that was back when we were on the same side as Osama Bin Laden . . .

DMC
10-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah I'm only like 21.

Winehole23
10-29-2012, 11:14 AM
it shows. you been standing tall on your ignorance lately.

Spurminator
10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
TZ6-AK3V0-Y

Settle down Farrakhan.

I still don't get what you were trying to say.

AussieFanKurt
10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Another question:

What would have happened if the yanks did what Patton wanted and marched towards Soviet Russia

DMC
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I still don't get what you were trying to say.

Don't strain your last synapse trying to get it to fire.

DMC
10-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Another question:

What would have happened if the yanks did what Patton wanted and marched towards Soviet Russia

Better video games.

Spurminator
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Don't strain your last synapse trying to get it to fire.

Oh don't worry. I don't actually give a shit. I'm just saying, you're not making sense.

You know...

For future reference.

Next time you're trying to say something, you know...

You should try to make sense.

DMC
10-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh don't worry. I don't actually give a shit. (6 more lines of text of not giving a shit)