PDA

View Full Version : The Agloco Honorary Invention of the Week: IBM replacing silicone based circuitry

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2012, 12:06 AM
IBM's next-gen chips may swap silicon for carbon nanotubes

y Jay Alabaster, IDG News Service

Oct 29, 2012 6:46 AM
print

IBM has hit a milestone in its quest to come up with a successor to silicon computer chips.

The company said Sunday its research into semiconductors based on carbon nanotubes, or CNTs, has yielded a new method to accurately place them on wafers in large numbers. The technology is viewed as one way to keep shrinking chip sizes once current silicon-based technology hits its limit.

IBM said it has developed a way to place over 10,000 transistors made from CNTs on a single chip, two magnitudes higher than previously possible. While still far below the density of commercial silicon-based chips—current models in desktop computers can have over a billion transistors—the company hailed it as a breakthrough on the path to using the technology in real-world computing.

The company made the announcement to mark the publication of an article detailing the research in the journal Nature Nanotechnology.

Intel's latest processors are built using silicon transistors with 22-nanometer technology, and simpler NAND flash storage chips have been demonstrated using "1X" technology somewhere below that, but modern manufacturing is nearing its physical limits. Intel has predicted it will produce chips using sizes in the single digits within the next decade.

more at http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013229/ibms-next-gen-chips-may-swap-silicon-for-carbon-nanotubes.html

Note the use of the present participle because its not a done deal yet but the method is sound. Currently silicone is bombarded with ions to dope sections creating the transistors. This method grows the tubes in troughs placed in the wafer. I am not sure what the substrate is atm but it is a breakthrough to say the least.

mouse
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I will be so happy when you and Agloco finally get a motel room.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2012, 12:22 AM

I am so happy when I can passively troll the troll, holmes. Hope things start looking up man. You seem a little more surly than you normally do. I am not saying that to troll either. Just hope things are looking up.

DUNCANownsKOBE
10-30-2012, 12:24 AM

Not as happy as the ST community will be when you get back on your feet and can afford your own motel room!

mouse
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Not as happy as the ST community will be when you get back on your feet and can afford your own motel room!

Then you will finally spend the night with me?

mouse
10-30-2012, 12:39 AM
I am so happy when I can passively troll the troll, holmes. Hope things start looking up man. You seem a little more surly than you normally do. I am not saying that to troll either. Just hope things are looking up.

Dude get off Agloco's teabag he's been exposed as a fraud he's a Google'r at best. He's a nuclear Scientist like RedZero is a straight male.

DMC
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure it's silicon, not silicone unless something changed in the industry.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Pretty sure it's silicon, not silicone unless something changed in the industry.

have anything other than shitty grammar smack? They are using 6 and not 14 is the whole point.

DMC
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
have anything other than shitty grammar smack? They are using 6 and not 14 is the whole point.

Sure, SiO2 is the substrate and the gate dielectric is probably HfO2.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2012, 09:18 PM
i asked for contribution not masturbation.

DMC
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Since you didn't know the substrate there's your contribution unless you want to bend over.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Since you didn't know the substrate there's your contribution unless you want to bend over.

I looked up the nature article and decided to buy the journal but don't be coy, pumpkin, and take your hands out of your pants.

DMC
10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I looked up the nature article and decided to buy the journal but don't be coy, pumpkin, and take your hands out of your pants.

Those aren't my pants.

Wild Cobra
10-31-2012, 03:08 AM
i asked for contribution not masturbation.
They didn't want you to be the only masterbaiter.

Wild Cobra
10-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Sure, SiO2 is the substrate and the gate dielectric is probably HfO2.
Wow...

HfO2. How long have they been using that?

Some years ago, I talked to one of my contacts at Intel PTD. His team was looking for innovative ways to use various materials. He jokingly said they only ruled out plutonium.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Good luck trying to buddy up with DMC, chachi. He's pretty damn elitist and it should be obvious that he doesn't consider you very elite.

TeyshaBlue
10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Those aren't my pants.

Those aren't his hands.