PDA

View Full Version : ANY Possible scenarios to trade Bonner, Blair, and Neal for a decent big????????

dallasmaverickslose
10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
I just don't know if I can handle another season with Matt Bonner and Blair on the roster. It has become AGONIZING. I'm beginning to wonder, are there ANY possible scenarios at all that would allow us to trade Bonner, Blair, and (probably Neal, since SG is an expendable position), for an upgrade at backup PF or Center?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I'm getting desperate here guys.

:bang

hooperflash
10-30-2012, 11:44 PM
This has been discussed in several threads bud.

lefty
10-30-2012, 11:46 PM
No, but we somehow found a way to trade the rights to Scola for a bag of frozen tacos

Go figure

KL2
10-31-2012, 01:03 AM
If they wanted to get anybody decent they would have to throw in Jack who is an expiring contract.

Jack+Blair+Neal makes a lot of sense. Increasing Leonard's minutes to 30+ a game leaves less pt for Jack, you could also probably put in Green at SF. Neal is terrible at PG making him strictly a SG where they've got De Colo, Manu, Green, it's Neal's job to lose at PG where you've got Mills and Cojo and possibly Manu/DC as well.

The SG and PG is pretty interchangeable with the players the Spurs have, I've seen Mills and TP on the court at the same time (TP at SG). Blair is expendable, there is no way Bonner ever gets traded no matter how bad he does.

racm
10-31-2012, 01:17 AM
Let's get Varejao, tbh

DAF86
10-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Bonner, Neal and Blair for Channing Frye? I don't even...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9t2tu73

racm
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Trading those fellows for a guy who will miss the rest of the season is a waste

angelbelow
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Totally down for this!!! Do it Mitch!!!

DAF86
10-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Trading those fellows for a guy who will miss the rest of the season is a waste

Didn't even know, tbh. That's how much I cared.

ElNono
10-31-2012, 01:40 AM
No. Next question...

BatManu20
10-31-2012, 02:50 AM
If there was some way we could get Marcin Gortat from Phoenix i'd jizz in my pants. He's only got one more year left on his deal. Unfortunately, that one year costs almost $8 million dollars. Would be nice though. He's perfect for our system.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2012, 03:11 AM
Yes. First, find a team that wants to trade a decent big for Bonner, Blair and Neal.

Second...

Oh, still stuck on step one. Whoops.

Bruno
10-31-2012, 03:22 AM
There are periods in the NBA were trade happens. The first one is the last 2-3 days before the trade deadline in February and the second one is between late June and Mid July. Other than at these periods, teams rarely do trades, so forget it. It will be time to talk about that at the trade deadline.

Right now, Spurs FO priority is to evaluate exactly what they have and what they need. For example, some questions that need answers:
- Diaw is less fat and knows more the system but is he a legit starter for a contender?
- Blair is in a better shape, motivated and with a better mid-range game but is he good enough to enter in the rotation?
- Do Spurs need another seven footer?
- Can Splitter be more than the backup C and can he play alongside Duncan?
- How much small ball Spurs should/will play and should they add a player for these cases?
- Who will be the backup PG and will he be good enough?
- Is Neal still needed?
- How much Manu and Jack have left in the tank?
- Is there a way for Spurs to really improve their defense?

Bruno
10-31-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm going to answer to those questions

These questions don't have true answers for the moment. There is, of course, most likely answers but there are still a relatively high level of uncertainty around them.

Maddog
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
There are periods in the NBA were trade happens. The first one is the last 2-3 days before the trade deadline in February and the second one is between late June and Mid July. Other than at these periods, teams rarely do trades, so forget it. It will be time to talk about that at the trade deadline.

Right now, Spurs FO priority is to evaluate exactly what they have and what they need. For example, some questions that need answers:
- Diaw is less fat and knows more the system but is he a legit starter for a contender?
- Blair is in a better shape, motivated and with a better mid-range game but is he good enough to enter in the rotation?
- Can Splitter be more than the backup C and can he play alongside Duncan?
- How much small ball Spurs should/will play and should they add a player for these cases?
- Who will be the backup PG and will he be good enough?
- Is Neal still needed?
- How much Manu and Jack have left in the tank?
- Is there a way for Spurs to really improve their defense?
Jeez
You're ruining the thread with rational thinking

dbestpro
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Right now, Spurs FO priority is to evaluate exactly what they have and what they need.

If they don't know the answer to this question by now, they will never know the answer.

Mel_13
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
- Yes, by trading Blair and Bonner for a defensive 7 footer

Care to elaborate?

Give us an example of such a player, because If I'm the GM of a team that has a defensive 7-footer making 4-5M per year, I'm certainly not going to be interested in trading him for Bonner and Blair.

silverblk mystix
10-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I just don't know if I can handle another season with Matt Bonner and Blair on the roster. It has become AGONIZING. I'm beginning to wonder, are there ANY possible scenarios at all that would allow us to trade Bonner, Blair, and (probably Neal, since SG is an expendable position), for an upgrade at backup PF or Center?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?

I'm getting desperate here guys.

:bang

There is only one way to get rid of Bonner;

Get rid of Pop first

If that doesn't happen - then getting rid of Bonner isn't gonna happen either.

Fact.

acoelho1
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
As Bruno noted, I don't expect any activity until at least the trade deadline. The Spurs have tried to rid themselves of Blair but have not received the right price so maybe with a slimmer Blair, he can raise his level of interest around the league in the first part of the season. I'm on board with trading S. Jackson as long as we can get a phyical defensive big in return. Varajao seems like a perfect fit for the Spurs in that he can rebound, defend the pick and roll and brings an intensity and physicalness to the frontcourt. My only apprehension is that he is a bit injury prone.

acoelho1
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
After a 23 rebound performance in the 1st game, I doubt the Cavs would want to trade him so the point is probably mute.

Bruno
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
If they don't know the answer to this question by now, they will never know the answer.

Well, the answer at this question highly depend on what the Lakers are doing. If Lakers struggle and/or if Dwight is nowhere near his previous level, then Spurs need way less to add a random 7 footer.

Shifty
10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Cavs get:
Nando
Blair
Bonner
Neal

Spurs get:
Varejao

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bs6re6h (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bs6re6h)

Check out the win difference for the Spurs.

elemento
10-31-2012, 11:17 AM
SA won't get a starting material PF/C for this garbage package.

Thinking about everything (teams with a glut of BIGs and a player that could possibly help SA now) the only guy I can come up with for THIS package is Al Harrington. He is a vet, he can stretch the floor (something that Pop loves) and he is better than Blair and Bonner.

Orlando has a glut at the PF position (Big Baby, Nicholson, Harrington and McRoberts) and I am pretty sure Harrington is expendable. Davis is the starting PF, McBob is an expiring and Nicholson is a Ryan Anderson clone ready to be developed.

It would be pure salary dump for Orlando.

Boris/Harrington
Timmy/Splitter

Looks like a better rotation than what SA has now. Still, Harrington is an expensive player (6.6m this year, 7.1m and 7.6m next). The last 2 years of his contract are only 50% guaranteed. Personally, I think SA would and should pass on this, but for this package, I think that's the kind of return people should expect.

SA will never grab Varejao for this package. Whoever thinks the Cavs would accept Bonner, Blair and Neal for Andy is really delusional. (it doesn't even work salary-wise btw).

Shifty
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
The trade included Nando and did worked. Adding De Colo, who is a very interesting young SG, position that is a need for the Cavs is not that crazy. Not saying they will take it though.

Raven
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
SA won't get a starting material PF/C for this garbage package.

Thinking about everything (teams with a glut of BIGs and a player that could possibly help SA now) the only guy I can come up with for THIS package is Al Harrington. He is a vet, he can stretch the floor (something that Pop loves) and he is better than Blair and Bonner.

Orlando has a glut at the PF position (Big Baby, Nicholson, Harrington and McRoberts) and I am pretty sure Harrington is expendable. Davis is the starting PF, McBob is an expiring and Nicholson is a Ryan Anderson clone ready to be developed.

It would be pure salary dump for Orlando.

Boris/Harrington
Timmy/Splitter

Looks like a better rotation than what SA has now. Still, Harrington is an expensive player (6.6m this year, 7.1m and 7.6m next). The last 2 years of his contract are only 50% guaranteed. Personally, I think SA would and should pass on this, but for this package, I think that's the kind of return people should expect.

SA will never grab Varejao for this package. Whoever thinks the Cavs would accept Bonner, Blair and Neal for Andy is really delusional. (it doesn't even work salary-wise btw).

harrigton is pretty much the worst player ever to play in the league, he is a pure cancer.

Bruno
10-31-2012, 12:19 PM
When posting a trade idea, it's way more user friendly to write was the trade is instead of just posting an espn trade machine link and asking people to go there to see what the idea is.

elemento
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
@ ravem
Exactly. And that's the kind of player SA will be able to grab offering their scrubs. You can't be delusional wondering if SA can land Varejao shipping Blair, Bonner and Neal. Won't happen.

IMO, a decent player that SA could pursue is Udoh, but I am not sure if he is ready to contribute right away. He still needs more development. He has good size, he is a good defensive young player and a good shot-blocker.

The Bucks also have a glut at the PF positon (Ersan is the starting PF, Henson is the young prospect, Gooden is the cancer with a fat contract (just like Harrington) and Udoh is the odd player out. They're thin at the guard position with only Jennings and Beno at the PG position and at the 2 they have Monta and Doron Lamb (a rookie). SA could make a decent offer using some of our guards and our pick.

Anyway, Bruno has some good points. At this point, SA will try to improve the chemistry of what they have and maybe add someone to fill the 15th spot. I've been calling the name of Jajuan Johnson, but we'll see.

acoelho1
10-31-2012, 12:53 PM

A package deal around Splitter and Blair seems more realistic but it may still not be enough. However, a trade for Varejao would substantially improve our defense in my opinion so I hope they at least make an inquiry.

Shifty
10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
When posting a trade idea, it's way more user friendly to write was the trade is instead of just posting an espn trade machine link and asking people to go there to see what the idea is.
You are right. I hate that myself. I edited my comment to include it.

Kidd K
10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
@ ravem
Exactly. And that's the kind of player SA will be able to grab offering their scrubs. You can't be delusional wondering if SA can land Varejao shipping Blair, Bonner and Neal. Won't happen.

IMO, a decent player that SA could pursue is Udoh, but I am not sure if he is ready to contribute right away. He still needs more development. He has good size, he is a good defensive young player and a good shot-blocker.

The Bucks also have a glut at the PF positon (Ersan is the starting PF, Henson is the young prospect, Gooden is the cancer with a fat contract (just like Harrington) and Udoh is the odd player out. They're thin at the guard position with only Jennings and Beno at the PG position and at the 2 they have Monta and Doron Lamb (a rookie). SA could make a decent offer using some of our guards and our pick.

Anyway, Bruno has some good points. At this point, SA will try to improve the chemistry of what they have and maybe add someone to fill the 15th spot. I've been calling the name of Jajuan Johnson, but we'll see.

They won't be able to get Udoh for that package. Teams are far less willing to give up prospects than busts or guys that peaked as "servicable players".

The best we're going to be able to do is get some expiring, fairly expensive guy (8-12m), and it's going to cost some draft picks along with Blair and/or Neal. No one's gonna take Bonner. . . and you'd have to pay teams to take Bonner (not trying to make a joke about that, just reality), so he's going to be stuck here until his contract is done or he gets waived.

I don't think we're going to get a "real" big because we don't have enough to offer that we're willing to part with. Our trade assets are pretty much gone except for Stephen Jackson's expiring deal. But any deal involving him would require us to take an overpaid 2 year guy back, or some trash contract in addition to a cheaper expiring guy. And since the Spurs are Moneyballers rather than Bigballers, it's hard to see that one happening either. :\

I think we're likely just going to have this team tbh unless we scrape people off the waiver wires.

Russo21
11-01-2012, 05:57 AM
I say Blair, Bonner, Neal and Manu will be on the table come the trade deadline for a quality big who can rebound and defend. Hopefully Manu gets waived and heads back home to san antonio ;-)

Seventyniner
11-01-2012, 06:39 AM

I'd prefer both. Your idea improves readability, but including the trade machine link at least shows that the poster bothered to check that the trade is possible under the CBA. If I see another Blair/Neal/1st for Varejao "idea," my head just might explode.

I say Blair, Bonner, Neal and Manu will be on the table come the trade deadline for a quality big who can rebound and defend. Hopefully Manu gets waived and heads back home to san antonio ;-)

Can't happen until after the season is over.

Ice009
11-02-2012, 02:36 AM
How about trading Splitter, Bonner and Blair for Varejao. Then also signing Martin and Dice (if he wants to come back).

big man depth chart would then be - Duncan, Diaw, Varejao, Martin and McDyess.

jesterbobman
11-02-2012, 03:39 AM
How about trading Splitter, Bonner and Blair for Varejao. Then also signing Martin and Dice (if he wants to come back).

big man depth chart would then be - Duncan, Diaw, Varejao, Martin and McDyess.

That type of trade is really basically the best we can hope for, though it'd have to wait to happen: I can't see the Cavs doing it if they're in the playoff picture. To me, to acquire someone we need to be taking on long term money, otherwise teams need more assets.(picks), and ideally we are trading with a lottery team/fringe playoff team. Varejao is the best in that group(Among Him, Gooden, Harrington, Amir Johnson, Ty Thomas, Wilson Chandler(Not really a big) and Jason Thompson)

elemento
11-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Varejao getting more than 20 rebounds in only 3 quarters in his debut doesn't really help SA to get him.

The best offer SA could put on the table for him (without hurting the main core obviously) is Splitter + Bonner + Blair + Neal for Andy.

The problem is that SA would have only Timmy, Andy and Diaw as BIGs and would have to sign 2 min vets to fill the roster. Considering Andy's history with so many injuries It would be a risky move. Obviously the reward would be nice, but it's still risky.

And I prefer Andy over all those guys as well. He would add a lot in terms of help defense and rebounds, 2 things that SA desperately needs.

100%duncan
11-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Jeez
You're ruining the thread with rational thinking

:lmao

spurspokesman
11-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Care to elaborate?

Give us an example of such a player, because If I'm the GM of a team that has a defensive 7-footer making 4-5M per year, I'm certainly not going to be interested in trading him for Bonner and Blair.

i guess we are the only ones that know bonner sucks and blair is undersized. A drunkened gm is the spurs dream at this point.

Bruno
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Varejao is always injured.

ace3g
11-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Magic just lost Hedo to a broken hand and Warriors might have lost Rush to a knee injury tonight; so there could be some teams looking for help and/or desperate to add a piece (Bonner/Blair/Neal) they might normally not want.

ace3g
11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Rusty Simmons ‏@Rusty_SFChron (https://twitter.com/Rusty_SFChron) Brandon Rush tore his ACL, according to agent Mark Bartelstein. "It's devastating, but we'll put a plan together and get him back to 100%"

elemento
11-03-2012, 03:58 PM
The Warriors would love to have Neal probably. They have no backup SG without Rush and it's pretty possible that Dick will eat those minutes (backup SG/SF), which sucks for their playoff aspiration. They signed Carl Landry to a very decent contract. I would love to grab him from GS. But SA would have to wait until December 15th I assume.

eric365
11-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Why any team would want to let go a good big for Bonner or Blair?

The only trade I thing could get us a decent big is for the expiring contract of Stephen Jackson near the trade deadline.

TD 21
11-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Varejao getting more than 20 rebounds in only 3 quarters in his debut doesn't really help SA to get him.

The best offer SA could put on the table for him (without hurting the main core obviously) is Splitter + Bonner + Blair + Neal for Andy.

The problem is that SA would have only Timmy, Andy and Diaw as BIGs and would have to sign 2 min vets to fill the roster. Considering Andy's history with so many injuries It would be a risky move. Obviously the reward would be nice, but it's still risky.

And I prefer Andy over all those guys as well. He would add a lot in terms of help defense and rebounds, 2 things that SA desperately needs.

One game isn't going to change anything. This is Varejao's ninth season; people know what he is at this point.

That would be an overpayment on the Spurs part and given that the Cavs would then have 17 players and an overload at PF, I think it's safe to say Leuer would be coming back. The Spurs would also probably demand a 2nd round pick. Then they could sign McDyess to fill out the big rotation and still avoid the tax. Varejao/McDyess would significantly upgrade the toughness/rebounding (so long as McDyess hasn't fallen off dramatically in this respect) quotient on the interior.

As for Udoh, I've thought about this, since it doesn't appear as if he's in their long term plans . . . but I don't see a fit there. What the Spurs have to offer, they don't need and what they'd want from the Spurs, the Spurs wouldn't give.

elemento
11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
I've known Andy for a long time, since he was in Brazil. He would be massive upgrade in terms of rebounding and help defense. As for the trade, it's just an idea considering what the OP said plus Tiago, to make it work salary-wise. In my opinion, I don't even think Cleveland wants to trade Andy and I think SA values Tiago way more than ST. As for Udoh, we will have to disagree because I think he fits. He is a young prospect that puts promising numbers in limited minutes, who has no character issues and happens to be athletic and a good shot-blocker. They have no place for him there with Ersan and Henson (don't forget they have Mr. Gooden as well) and they're thin with guards. They have Jennings and Beno to play the point and nobody else. Beno is an expiring and I doubt they have any interest to keep him after this season. As for the SG position, they have Monta (who refused to talk about a new contract), Dunleavy, who is an expiring F/G and the rookie Doron Lamb. Considering that SA is pretty heavy in terms of guards, I think they could at least put a decent offer on the table if they wanted to get Udoh. Anyway, everything is pretty much speculation. I'm trying to point out reasonable trades at least. Because Bonner, Blair and Neal won't bring much as some fans in this thread wish.

elemento
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Dunno why my reply was out that way (without space), sorry about that ;)

TD 21
11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I've known Andy for a long time, since he was in Brazil. He would be massive upgrade in terms of rebounding and help defense. As for the trade, it's just an idea considering what the OP said plus Tiago, to make it work salary-wise. In my opinion, I don't even think Cleveland wants to trade Andy and I think SA values Tiago way more than ST. As for Udoh, we will have to disagree because I think he fits. He is a young prospect that puts promising numbers in limited minutes, who has no character issues and happens to be athletic and a good shot-blocker. They have no place for him there with Ersan and Henson (don't forget they have Mr. Gooden as well) and they're thin with guards. They have Jennings and Beno to play the point and nobody else. Beno is an expiring and I doubt they have any interest to keep him after this season. As for the SG position, they have Monta (who refused to talk about a new contract), Dunleavy, who is an expiring F/G and the rookie Doron Lamb. Considering that SA is pretty heavy in terms of guards, I think they could at least put a decent offer on the table if they wanted to get Udoh. Anyway, everything is pretty much speculation. I'm trying to point out reasonable trades at least. Because Bonner, Blair and Neal won't bring much as some fans in this thread wish.

Apparently, he's been available for about two years. But they're not just going to salary dump him, they want a valuable piece in return. Splitter makes sense for them, since he's three years younger and has a higher upside as a scorer.

It's not that I don't value Splitter, it's that I'm not sure the Spurs will want to commit at least $6M annually to him, for 3 or 4 years, when he's injury prone and probably not quite the impact defender/injection of toughness they envisioned he'd be. All you have to do is look at his fluctuating minutes (despite him having no competition as far as backup center is concerned) to realize that they're not all the way sold on him.

Udoh's a fine fit for the Spurs, but I mean trade wise, I don't see a fit between the two teams. They need a guard like Green (whom the Spurs wouldn't give up), not Neal, who's more of the same. Blair and Bonner make no sense for them, either.

ace3g
11-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Varejao is always injured.

Varejao with right knee contusion, out for tonight's game

Ice009
11-07-2012, 10:38 PM
I'd say Cleveland would definitely make a trade if they liked what was offered.

swaggerjackson
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
If the front office was going to make a move they would have done it already. I am sure Pop would want everybody going through camp together. I bet they stick with this squad until January and see what it has got, then talk trade if necessary. I'm sure if they got a mind blowing offer they would take it but trade season has not even started yet. Lets just let the team that is 4-0 keep doing its thing. Yes we have issues. Yes they will be exacerbated in playoff style basketball, but there is not much we can do about it now. Again besides our desire to make a trade, I am betting that most other teams in the league would like time to evaluate their roster and figure out who is the odd man out. After four games you say its Udoh but that is not a sufficient sample size. I would not get excited about a trade until you hear legitimate rumors or the team starts doing poorly.