PDA

View Full Version : spurs tickets (tomorrow vs OKC)/ attendance

draft87
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
espn.com has a new column on their schedule page. it lists the amount of tickets available and the starting price.

it helps to click on the link because the page isn't updated well. for the most part you will see tickets sold as the game nears however i'm confused about san antonio's ticket sales.

last night, the pacers @ raptors game had 277 tickets left starting at $9. right now they have 77 left.

nuggets @ sixers had 2,049 left starting at $5. right now it's 599. this doesn't surprise me, even though Iguodala is visiting for the first time since being traded, the team could be decent, and the game definitely should be. philly just doesn't care about basketball.

but i'm looking the home opener tomorrow night Spurs hosting the Thunder....1,940 available starting at $4. and right now it's 1,844 available. i thought San Antonio sold tickets well, especially on opening night, and against a seemingly bitter rival??? are there usually a lot of empty seats at the AT&T center?

i heard that toronto has dedicated fans but damn, they make it look like Andrea Bargnani vs Roy Hibbert is A-grade basketball and Thunder @ Spurs is a scrimmage......... i'm not from SA, help me understand what's going on here

Mel_13
10-31-2012, 04:09 PM
but i'm looking the home opener tomorrow night Spurs hosting the Thunder....1,940 available starting at $4. and right now it's 1,844 available. i thought San Antonio sold tickets well, especially on opening night, and against a seemingly bitter rival??? are there usually a lot of empty seats at the AT&T center?

Those tickets have all been sold by the Spurs. The link you refer to will take you to Stubhub, which is a secondary marketplace for ticket sales. Those tickets are being sold by season ticket holders (individual and corporate) and by ticket speculators. The fact that there are tickets available for less than face value tells you that the secondary market for tickets to tomorrow's game is soft.

Beyond that, I can make some general statements about attendance as someone who has attended at least 95% of all home games over the past nine years.

1. Up until the economic collapse in 2008, there was not much difference between paid attendance and actual attendance. Since then, you see empty seats even at games announced as sellouts. I attribute this to season ticket holders staying home for a certain percentage of the games because there are expenses associated with going to the games beyond the price of their tickets.

2. This leads to the glut of tickets on the secondary market that you observed.

3. Generally speaking, games before the Rodeo Road Trip are less well attended than games after the RRT. Exception being the games played during those two weeks that schools are closed for the holidays.

4. Generally speaking, weeknight games are less well attended than weekend games for the obvious reasons.

5. Certain opponents (Lakers, LeBrons, Mavs, Rockets) draw better than most of the rest.

6. If you want to get great seats at great price, use Stubhub to buy tickets to a weeknight game against a bad opponent in December or January. For example, Milwaukee on Wednesday, December 5th. If you can wait until the last 24 hours before gametime, you'll have no problem get good lower level seats for less than 50% of face value.

Hope that helps.

timvp
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
New rule: Mel_13 can't take breaks from the forum.

Spursfan092120
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
New rule: Mel_13 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6168) can't take breaks from the forum.
this...dude knows his stuff, and keeps everyone else from having to say it.. :lol

TXstbobcat
11-01-2012, 05:53 PM
This is the time of year that I miss living in Texas and getting to go to 10 to 15 spurs games each year.