PDA

View Full Version : Romney does another complete 180°... Now on FEMA

DMX7
10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
There's nothing like a natural disaster to test the depth of politicians' preference for small government.

And so it turns out that after Superstorm Sandy battered the East Coast, Mitt Romney is far more supportive of the government agency in charge of coordinating disaster relief. Only last year, as Romney hewed to the right while battling for the GOP nomination, he seemed to downplay the federal government's role in disaster response.

"Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that's the right direction," Romney said at a debate last June. "And if you can go even further, and send it back to the private sector, that's even better."

Asked by moderator John King of CNN whether that would include disaster relief, Romney said: "We cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids."

Now, a week before Election Day, after of a massive disaster, Romney's campaign is reassuring voters that his administration wouldn't leave disaster victims in the lurch. The public's attention is locked on the devastation caused by Sandy at a time when Romney and President Barack Obama are locked in a close presidential campaign. With Obama heavily involved in getting federal funds to those in trouble, the Romney campaign moved quickly to reassure the public it supports a strong program of storm relief.

Now, a week before Election Day, after of a massive disaster, Romney's campaign is reassuring voters that his administration wouldn't leave disaster victims in the lurch. The public's attention is locked on the devastation caused by Sandy at a time when Romney and President Barack Obama are locked in a close presidential campaign. With Obama heavily involved in getting federal funds to those in trouble, the Romney campaign moved quickly to reassure the public it supports a strong program of storm relief.

"I believe that FEMA plays a key role in working with states and localities to prepare for and respond to natural disasters," Romney said in a statement supplied by his campaign Wednesday. "As president, I will ensure FEMA has the funding it needs to fulfill its mission, while directing maximum resources to the first responders who work tirelessly to help those in need, because states and localities are in the best position to get aid to the individuals and communities affected by natural disasters."

Wednesday's statement came after the candidate ducked a spate of opportunities Tuesday to personally clarify his position and the statement essentially endorsed the current disaster aid system.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57543411/mitt-romney-offers-answer-on-his-fema-stance/

DMC
10-31-2012, 11:48 PM
At this point Romney needs to shut up and let the Prez work.

RandomGuy
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Watching the "small government" crowd squirm when presented by a situation that very clearly exposes the failures of their ideology is pure schadenfruede.

RandomGuy
11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Tasty... tasty schadenfreude.

101A
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Watching the "small government" crowd squirm when presented by a situation that very clearly exposes the failures of their ideology is pure schadenfruede.

Taking care of people when the unforeseen happens (either man or God caused) in aggregate would be, I would think, a primary responsibility of a Government. Romney was wrong, IMO, to want to do away with FEMA; there are too many disasters that are too expensive, and can happen nearly everywhere; it is obvious that agency has a place in this World, and this country. Romney should be called on his statements, and made to clarify them. Maybe he has, as our President has on Gay Marriage, "evolved" - or are only liberals allowed to do that?

BTW, don't be too worried, our government could stop doing any number of things it currently does, but be in no danger of being labelled "small". Pretty sure debate of whether we are going to have a "big" government is over (if not in rhetoric, then certainly in practice).

angrydude
11-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Yea. Because we have hurricanes we should embrace totalitarianism!

CosmicCowboy
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I read it that FEMA under Romney would still have a funding and coordination role, but disaster relief as visualized by Romney would have a smaller federal role and larger state role. He still says it's the governments role.

CosmicCowboy
11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Actually makes sense to me as someone at the state/local scene would have a better sense of necessary asset allocation than someone sitting in Washington D.C.

ElNono
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Actually makes sense to me as someone at the state/local scene would have a better sense of necessary asset allocation than someone sitting in Washington D.C.

FEMA doesn't operate in a vacuum... they work hand in hand with state/local authorities. What FEMA allows for is resource pooling. That allows states not to have to spend shitloads of money for one or two time a year events (if that), and instead you can constantly re-pool and move those resources as needed across the country. It actually makes too much sense, tbh.

RandomGuy
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM

... or on his ranch in Texas clearing brush...

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/2176203_o.gif

RandomGuy
11-01-2012, 04:33 PM
FEMA doesn't operate in a vacuum... they work hand in hand with state/local authorities. What FEMA allows for is resource pooling. That allows states not to have to spend shitloads of money for one or two time a year events (if that), and instead you can constantly re-pool and move those resources as needed across the country. It actually makes too much sense, tbh.

It does.

One of the things that come out of the Katrina fuck-ups was a much closer relationship between FEMA and the states.

I might ding Bush for that, but his administration did take steps to fix the problems, and I think Obama is benefiting from that. Just to be fair.

I think the horse show judge in charge of FEMA did make people a bit more aware of just how critical it was to have someone with some actual experience, and that led to the current FEMA head, who led his states disaster agency if memory serves.

Michael Brown
11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I think the horse show judge in charge of FEMA did make people a bit more aware of just how critical it was to have someone with some actual experience, and that led to the current FEMA head, who led his states disaster agency if memory serves.

See! I did a heckuva job after all.

DMX7
11-01-2012, 09:48 PM
It does.

One of the things that come out of the Katrina fuck-ups was a much closer relationship between FEMA and the states.

I might ding Bush for that, but his administration did take steps to fix the problems, and I think Obama is benefiting from that. Just to be fair.

I agree to a certain extent, but as you point out, Bush did appoint a complete crony to an extremely important office and we all paid for it.