PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs @ Hornets - Oct. 31, 2012

timvp
10-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Tim Duncan A
He looked fantastic in the preseason and that carried over to the season opener.

Tony Parker A-
Played a reasonably crisp game that included no turnovers and a few big shots.

Kawhi Leonard B+
Preseason struggles continued in the first half but then he exploded in the third quarter.

Danny Green C+
The Good: Didn't hesitate. The Bad: Struggled to string quality possessions together.

Boris Diaw B
Typical Diaw outing, although his passing down the stretch was praiseworthy.

Stephen Jackson B
His rugged, physical play helped the Spurs stay in the game against the energetic Hornets.

Gary Neal C+
Surprisingly, passing was Gary Neal's main (only?) strength this game.

Tiago Splitter B-
In the second half, he played how the Spurs need him to play: fast, strong, decisive.

Matt Bonner D-
Really bad in the first half. Didn't see the court in the second half.

Patrick Mills B
His actual production was lacking but he pushed the pace and made things happen.

Pop B+
Lackluster first half. His second half rotations made a lot more sense.

P.S.

I'm still writing a regular version of Grades like I did last season -- just want to get a quick version up to help with post-game conversations. Thanks.

blackfire12
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
pretty much agreed overall

Richie
10-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Thought Mills was worse than a B. Hopefully De Colo gets some time tomorrow to see what he can do

Paranoid Pop
10-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Kawhi was so big for us in the second half that I woud have given him a A regardless of his rough start. Other than that pretty much agree with everything.

Paranoid Pop
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Thought Mills was worse than a B. Hopefully De Colo gets some time tomorrow to see what he can do

I haven't seen any pre season game so I'm pretty curious to see how he looks as well.

DesignatedT
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah. Mills looked out of control to me. Made bad passes and looked lost at time. First game though.

Libri
10-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I missed the game but I'm mostly interested on how the Spurs played defense. Hopefully the full version grades will give a recap.

Brazil
10-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Tim 24 pts Tony 23 and Leonard 19 that's a big three right there

ace3g
10-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Mills is quick, which helps on the defensive end, but he doesn't have the handles to match that speed

Ice009
10-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Mills needs court time. He hasn't had any.

Why the fuck should De Colo get time ahead of him? What has he done to deserve it, when Mills hasn't even gotten a chance yet?

ducks
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
manu gets a f not able to sniff any court time

Ice009
10-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Mills is quick, which helps on the defensive end, but he doesn't have the handles to match that speed

I agree with this, his handles have never looked good to me. I think this is pretty much the perfect description. His handles don't seem to match his raw speed.

Still, he deserves to get a real chance out there with some court time after the way he finished last season to help us get the number 1 seed. People that are calling for De Colo already, I just have no idea why they feel he deserves a chance first over Mills. I'd rather Joseph get a chance over De Colo. I want defense, not passing with poor defense and poor shooting, which is what I've seen from De Colo so far in the games I was able to watch of his. De Colo should be at the end of the depth chart until he improves his defense and shooting.

ElNono
10-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Spurs played good D in the second half... looks like the combo of Khawi, Jax and Tim can at least hold the fort... The Splitter-Bonner combo in the 1st half was terrible, tbh... I liked that Splitter & Duncan got minutes and somewhat worked better.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Luckily I missed the first half, so I didn't see any of Bonner.

Tuddy
10-31-2012, 11:03 PM
If neal has improved his passing and handles he is probably going to be the best option. Just need him out there with a good defender (green or Leonard) and hide him on the other teams weakest offensive option

letmk
10-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I would give Leonard A-.

Down the stretch, Tim and Tony are the two biggest reasons we won the game. However, The biggest shot of the game by Tony was assisted by Leonard. Plus, before the game might go out of our hands, Leonard single-handedly got us back into the game in the 3rd quarter.

And I would give Splitter and especially Mills more time.

tmtcsc
10-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Mills was terrible, D+

Das Texan
10-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Fuck Bonner is useless out there.

Kawai was so fucking huge in the second half its just difficult to wrap it into words. The kid is just going to be a monster in this fucking league for a long ass time.

Can Bonner strain some muscle while on his search for his next best sammich? That would be best for all I think at this point.... A black hole will be more productive than that copper headed choke job artist.

Splits
10-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Kawhi can't be worse than an A-, he scored 11 straight in the 3rd Q and single-handedly turned a 7pt deficit into a lead

Manu-20
11-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Was kawhi really that great in the second half, only watched the first half but it's very good to hear Kawhi making a big impact in a game by himself.

SpursRock20
11-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Was kawhi really that great in the second half, only watched the first half but it's very good to hear Kawhi making a big impact in a game by himself.

He was astounding in the third quarter. He created his own offense thanks to his feisty hands on defense. On one possession, he kept poking the ball away from Aminu and disrupting him for about 6 seconds until Aminu ultimately fell down (gave up) and Leonard stole the ball and slammed it. Really nice to watch... he picked up the slack that Manu left out there.

therealtruth
11-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Tim 24 pts Tony 23 and Leonard 19 that's a big three right there

I really think Kawhi needs to be part of the big 3 for us to win it all.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2012, 12:45 AM
tp a-?

dude in the 4th quarter there was a stretch he barely pass the ball and was chuckin kome shots hittin nothin....disgusting bball

spurraider21
11-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Man, if Kawhi can keep the aggressiveness up without tripping over his own feet, it can mean big things for this team. He absolutely ate the Hornets for lunch during that third quarter. Steals, dunks... it was fun to watch

Ice009
11-01-2012, 01:28 AM
tp a-?

dude in the 4th quarter there was a stretch he barely pass the ball and was chuckin kome shots hittin nothin....disgusting bball

If TP didn't have that bad stretch in the 4th then it would be an A, so I think that score is about right.

Mr. Body
11-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Man, Matt Bonner needs to be punted back to Canada.

jesterbobman
11-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Gameflow:http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20121031&game=SASNOR

+14 when the 5 Starters were all in there together, pretty good sign, considering the fact that the bench unit was so dominant last year(Splitter, Bonner, S-Jax Manu Neal), and the differential that group put up. Obviously nothing in plus minus from a 14 minute sample, but it's a good sign that two units can be so effective as separate groups.

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 03:41 AM
I really think Kawhi needs to be part of the big 3 for us to win it all.

Yeah, I like this big 3 over Tim-Tony-Manu. As much as I like Manu...should he just keep coming off the bench and not be considered in our Big 3?

Also I'd like to see Splitter play like he did today but with more minutes, hopefully him playing like that for a few games in a row will get him to reach his full potential.

analyzed
11-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I lked that Jackson played the stretch 4 instead of Bonner in the second half, hope this is how Pop rotates the players. When Manu comes back the obvious 1st players of the bench should be , Manu, Jackson, Splitter and Neal . everyone else aside from the starters plays scrub minutes

therealtruth
11-01-2012, 04:05 AM
I've got to wonder if TP knew he was going to hit that 3 or did he just toss it up there? If he can actually hit that shot now it would be a big weapon.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 04:48 AM
I don't disagree with Green's grade, but I thought that he did string a few good plays together when the Spurs made their comeback. He had a block, a pull-up, a steal and a three in about a two- or three-minute span. His three gave the Spurs the lead (which they'd lose again, but still). As long as one of he and Leonard (and one of Diaw and Jack) is playing good enough to close each night, the Big Three should have the help they need.

DontStopBelieving
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I like this big 3 over Tim-Tony-Manu. As much as I like Manu...should he just keep coming off the bench and not be considered in our Big 3?

Also I'd like to see Splitter play like he did today but with more minutes, hopefully him playing like that for a few games in a row will get him to reach his full potential.

No

bus driver
11-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Gary Neal C+
Surprisingly, passing was Gary Neal's main (only?) strength this game.

has GN ran his course......we should trade him for a water cooler

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
No

No to the whole? No to the part about Manu or to the part about Splitter? Either way I disagree.

Josepatches_
11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
How this thing named big3 works? Does we have to pick them?

And if we say Tim,Tony and Kawhi are our big3 then suddenly they are better players,isn't it? Or it's about to be starter? I don't think so because Manu wasn't starter in the past.

Brazil
11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
How this thing named big3 works? Does we have to pick them?

And if we say Tim,Tony and Kawhi are our big3 then suddenly they are better players,isn't it? Or it's about to be starter? I don't think so because Manu wasn't starter in the past.

our big three (three best players) is obviously still tim, manu and tp now when one of them is out Leonard is now the one who needs to deliver

Obstructed_View
11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
If TP didn't have that bad stretch in the 4th then it would be an A, so I think that score is about right.

Agreed. Tony was awful for about 2 minutes, but then he hit the dagger three. Kobe's been doing that for years and people say he's the best player in the world. :lol

Aussie
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Some of you have got to be joking in your reviews. On the first rotation with Parker off the floor the Spurs were embarrassing and looked like they had not practiced together at all. How many rushed shots or passes or drives into walls - too many to count. They simply lost direction and fell many points behind. Mills should have been the point guard. He topscored at the Olympics (even over the USA team players), shot a 3 pointer on the bell to beat Russia and has quick reflex pass skills YET you coach puts him on the floor for just 10 minutes after leaving him sitting cold for most of the game. Popovich must realize the depth of his bench will be required as the big 3 of Duncan, Ginobli and that genius Parker cannot carry the team for a full. Mills must be first replacement for Parker and keep up the momentum. Not let it drop when other PGs were used.

TXstbobcat
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reviews TIMVP. Good reading form me while I am working late tonight.