PDA

View Full Version : Twitter: DeJuan Blair's Reaction to DNP-CD in Season Opener

timvp
10-31-2012, 10:26 PM

Not sure what to make out of that. Referring to Pop as "dude" probably won't help him win any minutes. He's not outwardly whining but it's not too far beneath the surface.

Hopefully this doesn't boil over into something more. Blair, especially when you consider his contract, is damn good bigman depth.

SpursRock20
10-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Deserved minutes over Bonner tbh.

DAF86
10-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I like him but just trade him, we will all be better off.

Libri
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Trying to decipher what he's saying, especially the part about respect.

ElNono
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
He's a kid. No doubt he's emotional over all of it. Damn shame he's barely taller than Sequ, tbh

TimDunkem
10-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Trying to decipher what he's saying, especially the part about respect.

Translation: "Just as I expected!...Haha! It just hit me! I'm just not what coach Popovich needs out there -- and I respect that. Just know that I am doing my part."

ducks
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
he wants to play to get a big bloated contract

capek
10-31-2012, 10:49 PM

Not sure what to make out of that. Referring to Pop as "dude" probably won't help him win any minutes. He's not outwardly whining but it's not too far beneath the surface.

Hopefully this doesn't boil over into something more. Blair, especially when you consider his contract, is damn good bigman depth.

I don't know man, in my mind running to twitter is about as outward as a person can whine these days! I know he's part of the twitter generation, but imo leave this shit to idiot nobodies like that crying Britney Spears' fan from youtube fame. Although I guess it fits, and is to be expected. Blair's not professional enough to take his game into his own hands and actually improve on the court like his team needs him (rebounding, defense, etc), so why should we expect him to be professional in not airing his shit on twitter. smh

letmk
10-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Don't want either Bonner or Blair. If we have to pick between those two, however, being professional is another reason Bonner should be ahead of Blair in the rotation.

spurs1990
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Of tempests and teapots.

If Dwayne Wade can verbally assault his coach in full view, then I don't think DB has flagrantly violated any code of ethic, tbh.

Ice009
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Don't want either Bonner or Blair. If we have to pick between those two, however, being professional is another reason Bonner should be ahead of Blair in the rotation.

You don't win games just because you are a character guy. Character and professionalism isn't going to get you 20 and 20 against OKC, but it could get you a guy that curls up into the fetal position, which is what Bonner does.

Both should be traded, but I don't choose Bonner over Blair at all. Maybe it's because we're talking about Bonner that is clouding my thinking, whereas with anyone else I would probably choose the professional player first. Bonner is that fucking bad, that he makes me choose against him no matter what.

Libri
10-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Translation: "Just as I expected!...Haha! It just hit me! I'm just not what coach Popovich needs out there -- and I respect that. Just know that I am doing my part."

I'm guessing that Blair expected not to play in this game or realized that he was not needed for this game in particular.

Spurminator
10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
"It is as I suspected. Alas, I am simply not what my coach desires on the court of basketball. This became known to me this instant! It is all related to respect. However, let there be no doubt that I am providing my appropriate contribution."

MI21
10-31-2012, 11:03 PM
I have no issue with this.

It's fair for him to want minutes over Bonner. Would we rather he be happy he isn't playing?

ElNono
10-31-2012, 11:06 PM
190iqepL-G4

spurs1990
10-31-2012, 11:06 PM
"It is as I suspected. Alas, I am simply not what my coach desires on the court of basketball. This became known to me this instant! It is all related to respect. However, let there be no doubt that I am providing my appropriate contribution."

Lol. An excellent diatribe but I'm afeared it does not meet the 140 character limit. Besides, Pop would actually have been able to discover what DB was actually saying.

Capt Bringdown
10-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Blair, especially when you consider his contract, is damn good bigman depth.
The words "damn good" and Blair should never be used in the same sentence.

hooperflash
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Lol this why I unfollowed him on twitter a long time ago. Send his ass to Houston haha!

SequSpur
10-31-2012, 11:17 PM
fuckin blair started most of the last few years and was a big reason the spurs were successful during the regular season...you guys are a bunch of dbag haters man....I like Blair. Pop is great and all but everytime he rolls out of the bed with matt's mom, he goes from great to just good.

Fuck Pop.

SequSpur
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Lol this why I unfollowed him on twitter a long time ago. Send his ass to Houston haha!

shit, he would go for 20/20 against us...our defense is weak and hardly anybody hustles like he does...

dunkman
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
That tweets will become a distraction, Pop's not gonna love that.

letmk
10-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Of tempests and teapots.

If Dwayne Wade can verbally assault his coach in full view, then I don't think DB has flagrantly violated any code of ethic, tbh.

First, fair or not, if you are a superstar player like Wade, being unprofessional can be much more tolerated.

Second, when a player at Wade's caliber complains, coach and other players might make some adjustment to him a little bit. Sometimes this might result in some good changes to the team. While when a player like Blair complains, it is no good for either the team or the player himself.

That being said, I don't applaud what Wade did at all. That's the reason Timmy is my favorite player.

Dingle Barry
10-31-2012, 11:46 PM
He's a very flawed big, but it's fucking crime against humanity for Bonner to ever get more minutes than him (unless we need 3FG)

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2012, 11:55 PM
he would have been a horrible matchup against NO's bigs

Bruno
11-01-2012, 01:24 AM
It's just the beginning. If Pop continue to not playing Blair, it will be worse and could end up as an issue for Spurs.

What drives Blair is clearly money. It's not a coincidence that he suddenly is in shape and has worked all summer on his game while he is entering his contract year. With each DNP-CD, his potential new contract is shrinking.

For Spurs the situation is simple: either trade Blair or give him consistent minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2012, 02:00 AM
seems like everyone in his draft class is gettin paid besides him, contract year and he wants to show....

when was the last time he had a 20/20 game

silverblk mystix
11-01-2012, 02:55 AM
If anyone cares about truth. here it is;

Any coach that would play Bonner over Blair is an idiot.
Any coach that would play Neal at backup point over mills is an idiot.
Any coach that would cut Curry and keep Bonner is an idiot.
Any coach that would have Bonner on the roster for one full season-let alone 7 seasons is an idiot.

Pop needs to go and step back to a front office job and hire a young coach with fire and common sense.

But no one really wants truth-they just want to keep seeing Bonner fuck things up and seeing Pop mismanage any and all bigs year in and year out.

FkLA
11-01-2012, 03:55 AM
WTF does Blair bring to the table? Hes not even a good offensive rebounder anymore, the red rocket provides more to the team by just by sitting on his ass out on the three point line tbh. Defensively hes not only undersized and unathletic just like Bonner, but hes also dumb as a rock. Its actually very debatable whether hes a better basketball player than Bonner imo.

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2012, 04:17 AM
sad fck doesnt dare to say it to pops face...thats the difference between him and bonner...

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I wonder if Nando and Cory are upset about their DNP-CDs?

Russo21
11-01-2012, 05:48 AM
He'll be gone by the deadline. Unfortunately, Bonner won't.

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Wonder if Blair thinks he's deserving of Taj Gibsons' extension because he out performed him in the Rookie challenge 2 years ago.

MaNu4Tres
11-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Spurs should have traded him to the Bobcats or another lottery team for a 2nd rounder and kept Curry, tbh..

The guy thinks he's better than he is. Sure he can fill the stat sheet at times, but he is the worst player on the team when it comes to the intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet.

sanman53
11-01-2012, 06:54 AM

If it 'just hit him' that the 'dude' wants more, he should confront Pop about this, not run to social media. Sit down with Pop, find out how to improve and work your butt off and try to improve on those things.

elemento
11-01-2012, 06:58 AM
SA should have traded Blair to GS when they had the chance. I think SA was pushing to get that 1st round pick back but GS was high on Festus and did not want to give up a 1st on Blair. Pretty sure they offered that 2nd round pick (35th pick if I am not wrong). They should have taken it. There was so much talent in the 2nd round in the past draft.

Dejuan Blair wants PT to get a big paycheck. He doesn't give a shit if it's in SA or anywhere else. He just saw his BFF getting a 40m paycheck and he wants big money as well. Blair will be lucky if he gets 3m/year tbh.

weebo
11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Too bad for Blair because it looks like he worked hard to get in shape in the offseason, contract year or not. However, it just hit me! Blair (and Bonner)is not an NBA player a team with championship aspirations needs. He would be better served playing on a team like Cleveland or Milwaukee where he could get minutes, play hard, and be a fan favorite.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 07:25 AM
The sad thing is that some of Blair's value came from the fact that his contract was non-guaranteed. They could've traded him to someone like Houston who had to cut someone and who may not have wanted to eat that contract. (For example, the Spurs could've traded him for Jajuan Johnson, or something like that.) But Blair's deal is now guaranteed (I believe, although that may happen at a specific time today), so a team will have to want him as a player or trade asset instead of just a piece to make the numbers work.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-01-2012, 08:08 AM
The sad thing is that some of Blair's value came from the fact that his contract was non-guaranteed. They could've traded him to someone like Houston who had to cut someone and who may not have wanted to eat that contract. (For example, the Spurs could've traded him for Jajuan Johnson, or something like that.) But Blair's deal is now guaranteed (I believe, although that may happen at a specific time today), so a team will have to want him as a player or trade asset instead of just a piece to make the numbers work.

Actually today is the day, on which his deal becomes fully guaranteed, unless waived.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Actually today is the day, on which his deal becomes fully guaranteed, unless waived.

I know today is the day. But does that mean that the deadline was midnight, or is it 11:59 p.m., or some other time in between? If there is still time, I wouldn't rule out that they just waive him. The Spurs usually will release a player if he makes it clear he doesn't want to be in S.A.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Either way, working out a trade in time to get him sent to the other team and waived may be too difficult now. It seems like such a scenario for a trade may be out of the equation.

lefty
11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Imagine a world where we would have :

- Scola
- no Bonner

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I know today is the day. But does that mean that the deadline was midnight, or is it 11:59 p.m., or some other time in between? If there is still time, I wouldn't rule out that they just waive him. The Spurs usually will release a player if he makes it clear he doesn't want to be in S.A.

Must be 11:59pm on Nov 1st. I don't think they'll just waive him unless they have a ready replacement, which IMO is unlikely. I think they'll keep him and try to trade him at some point, besides his small contract should come in handy when working out trades.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Oh yes, I still think he is a good trade chip. But his attitude may force a trade. His contract is small enough to be absorbed by many trade exceptions, which means he can still be traded for nothing. That may be the most likely way they trade him, especially if they take a flier on someone like Green or Johnson.

Sense
11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Is he jumping ship too early?

I mean maybe Pop wants to use him heavily today, maybe Duncan's not playing today.. it is a back-to-back and Blair has always played well against OKC.

spurspokesman
11-01-2012, 09:03 AM
shit, he would go for 20/20 against us...our defense is weak and hardly anybody hustles like he does...

30/30 seeing this soft ass frontline. Trade him to a division foe and watch it happen lol.

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Is he jumping ship too early?

I mean maybe Pop wants to use him heavily today, maybe Duncan's not playing today.. it is a back-to-back and Blair has always played well against OKC.

Yeah, I don't get why he is complaining over not playing in the opener. I could see if he was barely getting any PT over a good span of games, but him voicing it like this over twitter because of one game, is a good way to get traded. Which if that is what he wants, then he should keep doing it. I wonder who the they'll trade him for, if they are considering trading him.

SenorSpur
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
After being a starter for the better part of the past 2 seasons, I can only imagine what a blow it has been to Blair's ego that he, not only lost his starting job, but racked up another DNP-CD. Whether Blair deserves to get his share of playing time is debatable. However, it's hard for any young player NOT to be concerned with the two things that drives all players - playing time and money. He's in a contract year and he's certainly desparate to demonstrate whether he deserves to be part of the regular rotation - and in turn, flip that into possibly a better contract from some other team.

That said, I don't agree with his Twitter whining, which clearly demonstrates that he's still a young, immature kid. For his sake, I just hope he stays away from Whataburger.

I'll be happy when the Blair soap opera, and the Bonner nightmare, are both over.

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
30/30 seeing this soft ass frontline. Trade him to a division foe and watch it happen lol.

Definitely. It always happens that way lol. Tbh Blair needs to go to a team like the Bobcats to really even justify the type of money he thinks he deserves. At least in Charlotte he could possibly get enough PT to not complain.

Raven
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
new orleans is a terrible matchup for him, that's about it.

dylankerouac
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM
While I can agree that New Orleans may not be a great match-up for Blair, his tweet makes it sound like he came to this realization all on his own which is a troubling sign. Pop is known as being very straightforward with players and not beating around the bush, for instance he told Jax after the acquisition last year that the Spurs were not talking about an extension. In addition, we usually hear that Pop is clear in defining player roles when they come aboard.

One can only speculate as to why Pop hasn't been clear with Blair regarding this season's expectations of him.

Bruno
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
One can only speculate as to why Pop hasn't been clear with Blair regarding this season's expectations of him.

Well, maybe Pop hasn't been clear about Blair role because he doesn't know it for the moment. If you look at what happened in the last playoffs and in the preseason, Spurs have only 2 reliable bigmen with Duncan and Diaw.

Stabula
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
As far as money goes I don't get why any NBA player would complain when you're already a god damned millionaire for playing a game.

DesignatedT
11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
The Spurs desperately need another long/athletic big man who can play above the rim. Duncan/Diaw/Splitter is good enough but that 4th big who is mobile enough to guard the 4 and run the court is what we need. Neither Blair or Bonner fit that role.

elemento
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Trade his ass seriously. Way too sensitive and looks like a spoiled kid on twitter.

He had great rookie year. Never developed shit since 2009 and got fat. No jump-shot, no defense, no reliable go-to move. The same crap spin move that gets blocked 90% of the time and in addition, forgot how to rebound.

Now he gets desperate to get PT in his contract year and cries on twitter? GTFOH

Bill_Brasky
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
The Spurs desperately need another long/athletic big man who can play above the rim. Duncan/Diaw/Splitter is good enough but that 4th big who is mobile enough to guard the 4 and run the court is what we need. Neither Blair or Bonner fit that role.

Yup, and until they find that it looks as though it's gonna be Leonard/Jax getting those minutes in small ball with Splitter. Not a terrible option, but we don't want those guys getting banged up down there.

SA210
11-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I just wanna say F Pop, no reason at the moment to say it, just F Pop.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
This kind of reminds me of James Anderson asking for a trade last year. If a team doesn't want Blair after this year, that's completely understandable. But neither playing him nor trading him can seriously cut down on the his chance to make money on his next contract. Blair's knees may still shorten his career. He already did the Spurs a solid by signing for four years instead of the two that most second-rounders do. If he had done the normal thing, he very well may be making $4-5 Million this year. I'd be worried about my long-term financial future if I were he. He may only have one more contract in him.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
And yes, I know that he got two guaranteed years for signing that four-year deal. That doesn't mean he should feel any less desperate now to get a contract he can live off of for the rest of his life.

CGD
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
It's the wrong year and he's the wrong height to be going through his Hollywood years. I would really focus on doing one thing really well as opposed to 2-3 at a below average level. I miss the Rookie, chip on his shoulder DB. In 3 years it doesn't seems he's acquired any serviceable corporate knowledge either which is why I don't seethe downside of bringing a different 5th big altogether

Mel_13
11-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Trade his ass seriously. Way too sensitive and looks like a spoiled kid on twitter.

He had great rookie year. Never developed shit since 2009 and got fat. No jump-shot, no defense, no reliable go-to move. The same crap spin move that gets blocked 90% of the time and in addition, forgot how to rebound.

Now he gets desperate to get PT in his contract year and cries on twitter? GTFOH

That's exactly how I feel about Blair at this point.

He already did the Spurs a solid by signing for four years instead of the two that most second-rounders do.

That's some amusing revisionist history right there. Blair's first year salary was approximately double what most second round picks get. His second year salary was also greater than what most second rounders get in their initial contract. Blair could have taken a minimum deal for one or two years. He chose to take the offer with more guaranteed money in the first two years. His knees held up and the Spurs have had a very team friendly contract as a result, but Blair didn't take the deal to do the Spurs a solid, he took the deal to get as many dollars in the bank up front in case his knees exploded.

Chinook
11-01-2012, 02:47 PM
That's some amusing revisionist history right there. Blair's first year salary was approximately double what most second round picks get. His second year salary was also greater than what most second rounders get in their initial contract. Blair could have taken a minimum deal for one or two years. He chose to take the offer with more guaranteed money in the first two years. His knees held up and the Spurs have had a very team friendly contract as a result, but Blair didn't take the deal to do the Spurs a solid, he took the deal to get as many dollars in the bank up front in case his knees exploded.

I know that. I said that in the post immediately following the one you quoted. I mean to say that those are two more years that his knees have had to wear out that really don't add to his financial security. I can see why he's desperate now. I heard something either this offseason or last that they are in really bad shape. I hope that's not true for his sake.

You're right, though. That contract was a way for both sides to protect their interests. Blair took a gamble and lost a little.

Mel_13
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I know that. I said that in the post immediately following the one you quoted. I mean to say that those are two more years that his knees have had to wear out that really don't add to his financial security. I can see why he's desperate now. I heard something either this offseason or last that they are in really bad shape. I hope that's not true for his sake.

You're right, though. That contract was a way for both sides to protect their interests. Blair took a gamble and lost a little.

:tu

I didn't read your second post before I replied.

wildbill2u
11-01-2012, 03:01 PM
It's just the beginning. If Pop continue to not playing Blair, it will be worse and could end up as an issue for Spurs.

What drives Blair is clearly money. It's not a coincidence that he suddenly is in shape and has worked all summer on his game while he is entering his contract year. With each DNP-CD, his potential new contract is shrinking.

For Spurs the situation is simple: either trade Blair or give him consistent minutes.

Sometimes a coach won't play a player to keep him safe from an injury WHILE a trade is brewing. Not saying that is the reason for the DNP, but just sayin'

phxspurfan
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Not sure what we could get in a trade straight up for him, considering he's on a cheap deal.

TD 21
11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
No matter how bad this situation get's, I'd hold onto him and include him in a package later in the season for a proper big, as opposed to panic trading him for a 2nd and signing some D-League scrub.

As an aside, given his past performance against the Thunder, I wouldn't be shocked if he plays tonight (at the expense of Splitter). It can't be said with certainty, but by the looks of things, other than the starters, Ginobili, Jackson and for the time being, Neal, the rest of the rotation is in flux and will be based on match-up/who's going good at the moment.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Honestly, this has crossed my mind. We get rid of Blair, and he just crushes us on the boards with hustle! He would be one of those match up nightmares for us.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Referring to Pop as "dude" probably won't help him win any minutes.
His performance in game 2 won't either.