PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Hornets - Oct. 31, 2012

timvp
11-01-2012, 04:39 AM
The Spurs began their 2012-13 campaign on the road against the Hornets without the services of Manu Ginobili. Early on, the game was close and both offenses were in high gear. In the second quarter, San Antonio’s offense stalled. Over a span of more than five minutes, the Spurs only scored two points, which allowed New Orleans to gain as much as an 11-point lead in the first half.

Entering the third quarter down by seven, the Spurs came out with both barrels blazing. Led by Kawhi Leonard’s inspired play, the Spurs went on a 21-5 run in the quarter’s first seven minutes to take command. However, the Hornets came right back and tied the contest heading into the final stanza.

In the fourth, neither team led by more than three points until Anthony Davis’ two free throws put the Hornets up by four points with 2:42 remaining. Tim Duncan brought the Spurs back by scoring seven points in the next minute. Then, with the Spurs down by a point, Tony Parker stepped up and drained a three-pointer with 50 seconds on the clock. San Antonio got a few more stops and two Duncan free throws to cement their 99-95 opening night victory.

http://www.spurstalk.com/box13.jpg

http://www.spurstalk.com/box11.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/box12.jpg

Tim Duncan
I can’t stress enough how impressed I am with Tim Duncan right now. He came into camp in amazing shape, was ready to go by the first preseason game and was the best player on the court come the season opener. Physically, he’s spry and energetic. In fact, he routinely beat the Hornets up and down the court. His movements -- whether he was driving to the rim on one end or protecting the paint on the other end -- were as sharp as I’ve seen in a few years. On offense, Duncan operated closer to the cup than he did last season and the results were positive. High-low action, particularly with Boris Diaw, was able to free him for looks around the rim. We also saw Duncan post-up a handful of times -- something that was somewhat of a rarity last season. Defensively, I thought Duncan was strong. He was able to stay in front of his man and play solid pick-and-roll defense. Near the hoop, he used his length well and provided the Spurs with a formidable last line of defense. Intangibly, his unwavering determination from the opening tip to the final buzzer was perhaps the difference between a win and loss on this night. Let us hope Duncan can stay at this level for the duration of the 2012-13 season.
Final Grade: 95

Tony Parker
Following an uninspiring preseason, I didn’t know what to expect out of Tony Parker. As it turns out, Parker was ready for the regular season. On offense, Parker was a definite asset. Scoring-wise, he authored many skillful drives to the basket. His outside jumper looked smooth, which was surprising considering he didn’t hit more than a couple outside shots in all of preseason. When it came to passing, Parker was a little bit off. His timing was oftentimes late and he missed a few wide open teammates. That said, it’s difficult to complain too much about someone who posts six assists and no turnovers in 35 minutes. Defensively, Parker was poor in the first quarter but progressively improved. By the end of the fourth, he had regained his defensive intensity and was an asset on that end of the court as well. While it was far from a flawless game, Parker started off his season on the right foot and should only improve as he regains his normal rhythm.
Final Grade: 91

Kawhi Leonard
In the first half, I was getting a bit worried. Kawhi Leonard was bad in the preseason and nothing much changed in the first two quarters. While he had moments here and there, he was still more of a negative than a positive. Then the third quarter happened and my worries disappeared. Defensively, Leonard turned into a monster. He started eliminating passing lanes and engulfing anyone foolish enough to come within a few feet of him. His energy on D translated into an explosion of points on the other end. During one stretch in the third, Leonard scored 11 straight points to turn a one-point deficit into a 64-55 advantage. I was also relieved to see Leonard connect on his three-pointers. In preseason, he was just 2-for-14 from beyond the arc. Tonight, he was 3-for-6. Despite all the good, Leonard still has a lot of work to do to become a complete package. On offense, he passed up too many open jumpers and also was inefficient when driving to the hoop. Defensively, while he was able to turn the tide with his liveliness, his actual fundamentals were iffy. His transition D needs to get a lot better and his rotations were untimely far too often. And while he did good work on the boards, I think he can do even better -- especially when he’s playing minutes at power forward like he was against the Hornets.
Final Grade: 88

Danny Green
Defensively, I thought Danny Green was stout. He made Austin Rivers a non-factor, offered opportune help defense and was quick to loose balls. The necessary energy was definitely there on that end. Offensively, it was a different story. While I liked his aggression level, it seemed like he was shooting too fast and was too much in a hurry to produce. When he actually took his time and used his legs in his shot, he usually had better results. Green also had trouble converting near the rim. Not only did he miss shots, he had issues getting open and was bothered by the physicality of New Orleans. I’d like to see him be stronger and more determined in the paint; relying on the refs to bail him out is a losing proposition for someone of his caliber. Overall, Green can play better but at least this outing should help put the memories of that OKC series out of his mind.
Final Grade: 79

Boris Diaw
First of all, Boris Diaw’s passing was fantastic. (Get ready, I’ll be saying that a lot this season.) To have a power forward who can pass that well is truly a unique weapon for the Spurs. Diaw’s passing is part of the reason why Duncan had such a good game. While his passing was commendable, for much of the game he didn’t even look at the rim. Better teams are going to force Diaw to hit shots. Tonight he got away with not making himself a scoring threat but he needs to become a lot more aggressive to truly be a trustworthy offensive asset. On defense, I wasn’t too impressed. His boxing out left a lot to be desired and his positional defense was average. Basically, he has to up his aggression on that end as well.
Final Grade: 84

Stephen Jackson
Although his stats don’t look too impressive, Stephen Jackson was instrumental in this win. His toughness on both ends gave the Hornets problems. On defense, he guarded reasonably well out on the perimeter and also banged in the paint when it was needed. Jackson also issued a few hard fouls that helped slow the free-flowing Hornets down. On offense, he was best when he used his size to overwhelm. While his outside shot wasn’t working, the rest of his time on the court should be considered a success.
Final Grade: 86

Gary Neal
Gary Neal was the backup point guard and also got a handful of minutes at shooting guard. No matter what position he played, Neal couldn’t get into any sort of an offensive flow. He was unsure of himself and his typically textbook jumper looked flat. On offense, his best moments actually came when he passed the ball. On pick-and-rolls and in fast break situations, Neal has grown to become a rather adept passer -- even though the rest of the time he's decidedly below average when it comes to sharing the rock. Defensively, he was able to hold his own. He hustled on that end and gave very good effort on the glass. (Then again, it should be noted that Neal was never really tested on D due to the matchups.)
Final Grade: 77

Tiago Splitter
In the first half, I didn’t like what I saw out of Tiago Splitter. He was tentative on offense, wasn’t running the court hard and was getting bumped off of his spot too easily on defense. Whatever Pop told him at halftime worked because Splitter emerged a new man for the third and fourth quarters. On offense, he became a constant threat off of pick-and-rolls. He also made smart cuts to the hoop and ran the court with gusto. Defensively, Splitter was more assertive and defended the basket reasonably well. Hopefully the second half was the version of Splitter we’ll see for the rest of the year.
Final Grade: 83

Matt Bonner
Matt Bonner didn’t give Spurs faithful any reason to believe this is the year of the redhead. Other than the three-pointer he hit at the end of the first half, Bonner didn’t do much of anything right. Defensively, he was pretzelized whenever he attempted to defend out on the perimeter. In the paint, he was a traffic cone. On offense, he passed up a couple shots and wasn’t moving to open spots as swiftly as usual. Pop apparently noticed Bonner’s dreary play because he benched him for the entire second half.
Final Grade: 70

Patrick Mills
In the second half, Bonner’s minutes went to Patrick Mills. And while the Australian didn’t exactly light up the scoreboard, I thought he helped more than he hurt. On defense, he was pesky in his attempts to disrupt the Hornets offense. When he got the ball on the break, he pushed it and was able to create a couple open looks -- though he was also out of control a number of other times. Mills didn’t get much of a preseason due to an ankle injury and was thrown into the fire in the second half … so, all things considered, I thought it was a positive opening night for him.
Final Grade: 83

Pop
In the first half, I didn’t like the rotation very much and I thought Pop stubbornly stuck to it even though it wasn’t working. But in the final two quarters, I loved the adjustments he made. Using Splitter surrounded by small ball as the second unit worked out much better. Basically swapping Bonner for Mills turned out to be a good move. I also thought the plays he called near the end of the game were smart. The Hornets, especially with Robin Lopez on the bench, weren’t very good at protecting the rim. By using Diaw to feed Duncan, the Spurs were able to get into the paint and get great looks. To replace Ginobili, Pop decided to use Jackson in that same role -- with positive results.
Final Grade: 89

Offense
The Spurs offense will have better days but they showed a lot of promise in the first game of the season. Considering they couldn’t hit an outside shot (from three-point land or the free throw line), San Antonio did well to put 99 points on the board. They did it by shooting 53.3% on two-pointers (32-for-60) and by connecting on 17 free throws (even though they missed nine attempts). The totals in assists (22) and turnovers (16) were acceptable given the circumstances. It’s exciting to think what this offense can do when it’s hitting on all cylinders.
Final Grade: 91

Defense
When the Hornets scored 31 points in the first quarter, I thought the Spurs were in for a long night on that end. But thankfully the D was able to tighten up and the Spurs managed to hold New Orleans to only 64 points the rest of the way. After hitting 13 of their first 21 shots, the Spurs held the Hornets to 37.2% (22-for-59) the rest of the way. That, obviously, is an encouraging statistic. The Spurs also did well on the defensive glass (.786 defensive rebounding percentage). On the other end of the spectrum, the Spurs need to play much better transition defense (the Hornets had 19 fast break points) and giving up 26 assists is much too high. Where do the Spurs stand defensively? We’ll have a much better idea following Thursday’s Thunder showdown.
Final Grade: 89

Overall
On paper, this wasn’t an easy game. No Ginobili, on the road, home opener for the Hornets, career debut for Anthony Davis, nonsensical preseason rotations … it was a recipe for an early season defeat. But the Spurs stiffened defensively, got enough points late from their stars and eked out a quality win.
Final Grade: 90

FkLA
11-01-2012, 04:57 AM
sup timvpimp

Chinook
11-01-2012, 05:07 AM
One good think about using Diaw to pass to Duncan is that it takes away the PF from the rim. A lot of teams' best shot-blockers are their forwards, so getting players like Ibaka and Davis out of the paint is invaluable. That being said, opponents will just sag off Diaw if he doesn't shoot that 15-17-footer when he's open. That shot should be well within his range, and he'd be damned-near unstoppable if he were to take it.

99 Problems
11-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Thank you. A win makes for a happy start.

-21-
11-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the grades and that is a cool chart btw.

Fireball
11-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Good read ... thanks

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Great writing man. I agreed with pretty much everything.

I also hope the way Splitter played in the 2nd half is the way he plays for the rest of the season. I think Splitter just needs to prove it to himself, as in, give Splitter some more minutes and hopefully within those extra minutes he puts up about 15 pts and gets about 8-10 rebounds. All he needs is, to do that for a week or 2's worth of games and soon he'll be set on averaging that.

Hopefully, Mills will get more minutes next game. I have more faith in Mills ,developing into being a consistent back up PG, than Neal. When Mills gets going he can be quite annoying to the opposing team.

If the team comes into the game with energy, we'd be a lot better off(of course).

Em-City
11-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Just trying to get used to the number rating...

what would you consider an an "average" performance? 70? 50?

i mean, why do bonner and neal get a rating in the 70's, and what kind of performance would we need to see for players to get lower?

anyway, i'm sure we'll adjust- cheers for the write-up

justinandimcool
11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
the American school system has 75 as the average typically. since it's the Spurs everything is on a steeeeeeep curve :lol

fabulous job timvp

quentin_compson
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I wasn't too happy with Mills while watching the game, but after a good night's sleep, I guess timvp is right. His high energy level was contagious, and in the end, he helped more than he hurt. And with his style of playing basketball, there will always be situations where he spins out of control; we will have to live with that.
The high-low game between Diaw and Tim was fantastic at times. And Splitter was very good in the second half. The way Bonner played, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a DNP sooner rather than later instead of Blair - that is, unless Blair gets punished for his rather incoherent tweet.

Bruno
11-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Nice, thanks timvp.

bigfan
11-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Things are right in the world for now; a nice cool morning here in Dallas, savoring a good cup of coffee reading TIMVP's detailed writeup after a Spurs victory...

Brazil
11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
the two good news of this game are imo that TP and Leonard were coasting during the pre season, I was not worried about Tim but these two made me concerned.

thanks timvp

Brazil
11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Things are right in the world for now; a nice cool morning here in Dallas, savoring a good cup of coffee reading TIMVP's detailed writeup after a Spurs victory...

nice :tu

RodNIc91
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
This writeup followed by the quick grades is amazing. I loved the added offense and defense analysis plus the evolution of the quarters chart. I predict more copyright problems for you this season if you keep up this great work. And I really appreciate all the time you take to make this analysis. Timvp also showed no rust in starting the season :toast you forgot to add.

What amazed me the most was the fact that tim dunked one with authority eventhough mason tried to hack him, which ended in Tim landing in his brace-knee. He is in great shape, thats for sure.

ohmwrecker
11-01-2012, 09:05 AM
No matter what happens this season, as long as Splitter gets more minutes than Bonner, I'm happy.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Love the numerical ratings for the players you give out now.

Also loving the quick grades and then the more detailed game thoughts.

Great stuff, hopefully Manu comes back tonight and the Spurs can beat a disheartened (or should I say disHardened!) OKC team :tu

PhingerRoll
11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Great work! Thank you for a great read!

ElNono
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
good writeup, thanks timvp!

Raven
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM
i think mills should get a far lower grade, while i like him as a player, i thought he didn't do anything good last night.

Pauleta14
11-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Great work, thanks timvp!

spurraider21
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Timvp you're the man. You have some serious dedication to this site. I think Kawhi isn't quite ready for a primary role, but has to find ways to get involved with cuts, offensive rebounds, and hustle plays on defense. He can be a menace if he does so. He can be our Shawn Marion for now, and let the dribble drive game develop slowly without pressing

Chinook
11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
The key to Leonard becoming part of the Big Four is for him to play like he did last night. Offensively, he needs to be an opportunistic scorer who takes advantage of wide-open threes and transition. He doesn't need to be another penetrator and point-forward yet. I think all of that star talk is confusing him. So long as the others are here, Leonard is the fourth option. He just needs to be consistent in that role this year. He still has two more years to work up to be the face of this franchise.

Stabula
11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Good writeup but your actual scoring I think is much too high. Bonner gets 70 out of 100? Really?? I shudder to think what one must do to get a failing grade from you if that's the case.

SenorSpur
11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I missed the game live, but watched the rebroadcast the next day. The writeups are very much appreciated!

The numerical grades are a nice touch too!

Dingle Barry
11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Hope to see these grades plotted on a graph every, say, 15 games or so :hungry:

The_Worlds_finest
11-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Dingle Barry, probably the greatest name to ever grace the ST forums.

TD 21
11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Overall
On paper, this wasn’t an easy game. No Ginobili, on the road, home opener for the Hornets, career debut for Anthony Davis, nonsensical preseason rotations … it was a recipe for an early season defeat. But the Spurs stiffened defensively, got enough points late from their stars and eked out a quality win.
Final Grade: 90

:lol If this wasn't an easy game on paper, then damn near nothing will be. The Hornets possess exactly one established scorer and he didn't even play. They also don't play with a true point guard. They should have struggled to break 85 points and 40% shooting.

This was only a quality win if you subscribe to the theory that every win is a good/quality win. In reality, it was a sub par performance and they were lucky they were able to pull it out at the end. If they were playing even a mediocre team, they'd have lost.

Solid D
11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Good synopsis, although I thought Patty Mills was very sloppy, so he needs to tighten that up. Some bad timing on those TOs, as well. He helped undo the series of great plays by Kawhi.

The Spurs were fortunate to win this game. Several times, the Hornets failed to recognize mismatches and the Spurs dodged bullets. If Don Nelson had been coaching New Orleans last night, Anthony Davis might have gone for 35. I also thought Vasquez was really special running the team. My opinion: if Vasquez gets a better jump shot, he will really hurt teams in a 2-man game with Davis.

Parker's 3 was really huge, btw.

timvp, I can't imagine having kids, job, relationship with Kori and staying up to all hours pounding out these Game Thoughts time after time. kudos :tu

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Glad to see timvp is back

therealtruth
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Great writing man. I agreed with pretty much everything.

I also hope the way Splitter played in the 2nd half is the way he plays for the rest of the season. I think Splitter just needs to prove it to himself, as in, give Splitter some more minutes and hopefully within those extra minutes he puts up about 15 pts and gets about 8-10 rebounds. All he needs is, to do that for a week or 2's worth of games and soon he'll be set on averaging that.

Hopefully, Mills will get more minutes next game. I have more faith in Mills ,developing into being a consistent back up PG, than Neal. When Mills gets going he can be quite annoying to the opposing team.

If the team comes into the game with energy, we'd be a lot better off(of course).

Splitter's biggest enemy is Pop. You think Pop will give him consistent minutes that will allow him to get better? Pop's going to do his best to keep him guessing about minutes.

DapDaGenius
11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Splitter's biggest enemy is Pop. You think Pop will give him consistent minutes that will allow him to get better? Pop's going to do his best to keep him guessing about minutes.

Oh yeah, I forgot Pop was kind of like that with Splitter, I never understood why though.