PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: It's been over a decade since opening night has been so special for the Blazers

tlongII
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/10/blazers_insider_its_been_over_a_decade_since_openi .html

http://media.oregonlive.com/top-stories/photo/11793852-large.jpg
Damian Lillard, right, celebrates with Meyers Leonard during the Blazers' 116-106 season-opening victory over the Lakers. Lillard had 23 points and 11 assists.

Enough of this Charlie Hales vs. Jefferson Smith mayoral race, after what went down at the Rose Garden on Wednesday night - that crisp, fluid and aesthetically pleasing display of basketball - I’m pretty sure Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts could be elected mayor of Portland by write-in.

The Blazers were that good, and that fun in their season opener - a stunning 116-106 dismantling of the mighty Lakers, who looked a little old, a little sloppy and a lot disjointed.

It’s happened before in the Rose Garden - the Blazers have beaten the Lakers 17 of the last 21 times here - but perhaps never has it been so unexpected and against such an apparent disparity in roster talent.

It happened because Damian Lillard jitter-bugged his way into the NBA limelight like few others - finishing with 23 points and 11 assists - joining Oscar Robertson and Isiah Thomas as the only players with at least 20 points and 10 assists in their NBA debut.

It happened because Wesley Matthews played one of his best all-around games as a Blazer - burying four three-pointers en route to 22 points, while constantly hounding Kobe Bryant with hip checks, active hands and a steel chin that he stubbornly stuck in the fray possession after possession.

It happened because LaMarcus Aldridge started the game like an All-Star and franchise player should - hitting his first five shots, and 6-of-7 .

And it happened because Nicolas Batum didn’t shrink from the big stage like he has so often before, instead emerging as a lightening rod of energy and exuberance that carried the crowd, and the team.

And even that disheveled bunch on the bench - the dreaded Blazers reserves - provided a boost in the form of Sasha Pavlovic, who had seven points, and assist and a rebound in a six-minute flurry in the third quarter.

More: Box score | Recap | At a glance | Photos | Canzano | Lillard: No surprise (video)

Not since the 2002 - when the Blazers beat the World Champion Lakers 102-90 - has a season opener been more special in Portland.

“It can’t be better,’’ Aldridge said. “Our defense won us the game, we got into the passing lanes, forced turnovers, we made them frustrated ... this was perfect for us.’’

There was an element of “told-you-so” from Matthews after the game. Since media day, he has been touting this group as being better than advertised. He has seen the pick-up games, and he has been in the practices.

“It’s what I’ve been saying since the start: We got a lot of different guys who can do a lot of different things,’’ Matthews said. “Lot of guys who can put the ball in the basket, and that’s what happened tonight. Everybody got in a rhythm, no selfish basketball, and we got into a groove.’’

The Las Vegas odds have the Blazers winning 36.5 games. Many in the local media have the team pegged for about 32 wins.

“There’s a lot of doubters against us, a lot of people writing us off,’’ Matthews said. “This isn’t going to silence them, but it’s going to certify our belief in ourselves.’’

If anything, Stotts and his brand of basketball have revitalized not only the locker room, but the Rose Garden. I can’t tell you how many people tell me how much they enjoy watching this team play. They are prepared for losing, but hoping for the best. And I wouldn’t blame some of them for dreaming after Wednesday. That was some pretty heady stuff we watched, the Lakers’ struggles and all.

“We have some pieces here,’’ said J.J. Hickson, who as a 6-foot-9 starting center had 13 points and 10 rebounds. “We have a good team. We play together, and we play hard, and we have fun. When you mix those things together it makes for a great team.’’

I don’t know how many are ready to say this is, or will be, a great team, but I know many are ready to vouch for Lillard becoming a great point guard.

The kid has “it,” plain and simple. When he has the ball in his hands, you don’t take your eyes off the court for fear of missing the next great play. He has a smooth jumper. Turbo speed around the corner. And vision that would make Superman blush.

“The kid is good,’’ Hickson said. “He has a lot of confidence, a lot of poise. He knows how to shake it up, and that makes for a good point guard. He’s already ahead of the curve, so to speak. So look for big things from him this year.’’

Added Aldridge with a smile: “That was a good first game. He played very poised, very smart.’’

There were some flaws - six turnovers, some forced jumpers - but overall, it was the type of performance that steals the heart of this passionate fan base. By Nov. 23, when Brandon Roy flies into town with Minnesota, Lillard might have already healed those broken hearts.

Fittingly, Lillard had the ball when the game ended. He cradled it and signaled to an already roaring Rose Garden to get louder. He did it with a fierceness, something he later said was a release of emotion after battling so hard for a victory.

By the time he reached the locker room, it all started to settle in. His first NBA game was over. Now, it was the road. The team practices in Tualatin this morning, then flies to Oklahoma City at 2 p.m. for a three-game trip.

Had the rookie thought far enough ahead to pack already?

“No I haven’t. Everybody else probably did already,’’ Lillard said. “I’ve been thinking about it, like, when should I pack? I don’t know. How much clothes do I bring? I gotta ask some questions.’’

It might be the only question left hanging on this stunning night.

Double-Up
11-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Even scrubs get lucky every now and then.

BanditHiro
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Even scrubs get lucky every now and then.

lol luck in reference to the Blazers.

whitemamba
11-01-2012, 02:33 PM
when was the last time the blazers accomplished anything?

The Gemini Method
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
when was the last time the blazers accomplished anything?

When they completed the 2nd 'let's draft a bust rather than a sure-fire hall of famer' with the Oden/Durant laugher...

whitemamba
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
When they completed the 2nd 'let's draft a bust rather than a sure-fire hall of famer trade' with the Oden/Durant laugher...
:lol

ChumpDumper
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I guess it's noteworthy. Pretty shitty decade for them tbh.

Latarian Milton
11-01-2012, 08:20 PM
ain't they also the only team that has lost to the rockets in a playoff series since hakeem retired?