PDA

View Full Version : Where would Scola be drafted in this years draft?

whottt
06-27-2005, 01:59 PM
#1 pick?

Lottery?

Late first?

Second round?

Discuss.

E20
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Lottery, with all his coverage in the Olympics and Qualifing(sp) tournament there is no way he could go undrafted below 5th or 6th. Even though he is an undersized PF.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Lottery, perhaps between #6 and 10.

Manu20
06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I would say Lottery.

whottt
06-27-2005, 02:03 PM
No one thinks he'd go #1?

Bogut is more of an unknown quantity if you ask me...

E20
06-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Skip thinks he'd go 1.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Are you saying where would he go if he was in this year's draft but his current age and experience?

E20
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
I don't get the 'but' part in your question.

2centsworth
06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Top 5 and maybe #1 because of Manu's success.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
You guys think pretty highly of Scola.

WalterBenitez
06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
1st round, for sure ...

E20
06-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Well with Manu's success and Scola's play internationally, I guess teams would draft him in thinking they'd get a bigger Manu.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Well with Manu's success and Scola's play internationally, I guess teams would draft him in thinking they'd get a bigger Manu.

I think that team's do a better job at scouting than that. They wouldn't just assume they were getting a bigger Manu because Scola's Argentinean too.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
mmmh... I don't know about TOP 5, but definately first round

spvrs
06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
10 to 20. Skip didn't say he'd go number 1 -- he said he'd probably be the best player.

You don't think the spurs would give up scola for Bogut? Antonie wright? Green?

in a heartbeat

whottt
Are you saying where would he go if he was in this year's draft but his current age and experience?

Exactly...if he was in this year draft, his current age and skill set...Older yes, but also lauded as the best PF in Europe...

2centsworth
I could be just a homer, but from what I've seen the guy looks very polished on offense and rebounds pretty well. Plus, the Manu factor makes him look even better.

E20
06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
His play in the Olympics against USA opened some eyes and I'm sure because of that success other teams might have looked at him a bit more closely.

Sense
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM

I agree, I think the topics posted on the forums lead them to this..

Personally I think he's going to the second round... that's IMO

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
What did Scola average this season? 18 and 7?

I guess that if he were in the draft he might get selected mid to late first round. Most teams would probably still think that he's undersized to play PF in the NBA. There's still a lot of questions surrounding his D and some teams might think because he's already 25 that he's not going to get much better.

2centsworth
06-27-2005, 02:20 PM
What did Scola average this season? 18 and 7?

I guess that if he were in the draft he might get selected mid to late first round. Most teams would probably still think that he's undersized to play PF in the NBA. There's still a lot of questions surrounding his D and some teams might think because he's already 25 that he's not going to get much better.
very similar to Bogut's numbers and anyone else you will find in the college game. We all know the international teams and competition is a lot harder than college.

2centsworth
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM

that is the silliest thing I've read today. Second round, yeah right.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah I was just asking what his numbers were (those are a complete guess). I have no real idea, but I remember he was averaging that about midseason. His numbers aren't the reason I'm saying he wouldn't go top 5.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Teams are always looking for a bigman. Coming off a great performance in the Olympics as well as a strong season in the Euroleagues some lottery team (mid to late) would give him a shot.

Sense
06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
that is the silliest thing I've read today. Second round, yeah right.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Might be true... but you never know what you get from the homer scouts...atleast when it comes to the international play...

And like I said... that's IMO

spvrs
06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
The guy had a monster year. he had some games where he scored like 25 points and missed 2 shots.

The way I look at is, what would you be giving up if you picked him. You think a team would give up on Bogut for Scola? (with the very real limitations that Kori pointed out) Green? any of the point guards?

Maybe instead of Fran Vazquez at 13.. Maybe the Lakers would take him because they want to win now @ 10...

Mark in Austin
06-27-2005, 03:18 PM
late lottery to late teens (10-19) would be my guess.

timvp
06-27-2005, 03:19 PM
No way he'd go number one. Teams would get scared off by his size alone. He's probably closer to 6-foot-7 than 6-foot-9 and doesn't have overly long arms to make up for that. He's an average rebounder and probably a below average defender.

The positives are he has a great motor, very emotional, can score around the basket, has a decent jumper and competes to win. If he were in this draft, I'd see him going somewhere between 10 and 15 if he had good workouts for teams.

That's still pretty awesome if you are the Spurs. But don't kid yourself and say he'd be number one. When he was drafted, he was already pretty much a known commodity. He was the best young power forward in Europe. Now he's the best older power forward in Europe. He's pretty much followed the path that many expected.

The next step will be to see if he has the size to compete on the NBA level. If he does, the Spurs have another draft steal to add to their collection.

Nikos
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Will be similiar to Corliss Williamson in his best years?

spvrs
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
I only know what I read in the recaps but he's also clutch, can score on anyone, big game player

nkdlunch
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
All I know about this dude is he greatly contributed in turning the USA - Argentina Olympic match from a horrible USA loss to a horrible USA spanking

Horry For 3!
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd probably say in the Top 15.

Rick Von Braun
06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
He would go 5-12. There are several teams that would like immediate help, not potential. The top picks are reserved for young players with potential.

When comparing him with any other PF (or player) in the draft, he is the best polished player by wide margin.

whottt
06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
TimVP, so where would he go in this years draft?

And I am not so certain about how well known he was...I don't even think Manu was known totally until this season...

Some teams are stupid...

Edit: Never mind...I see you picked him to go between 10-15.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 03:38 PM
No matter where, it's pretty fucking good for the reigning champs to be able to pull a player like him out of their ass.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Scola was not an unknown commodity in the 2002 NBA Draft. Most draft projections I recall had the Spurs taking him in the first round. Instead, they took Salmons and traded his rights to the Sixers as part of the trade for Claxton. As luck would have it, Scola fell down the draft board until the Spurs drafted again in the second round.

timvp
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Scola was not an unknown commodity in the 2002 NBA Draft. Most draft projections I recall had the Spurs taking him in the first round. Instead, they took Salmons and traded his rights to the Sixers as part of the trade for Claxton. As luck would have it, Scola fell down the draft board until the Spurs drafted again in the second round.

Exactly.

I was going to say this. Scola was in a lot of FIRST ROUND mock drafts. The reason why his stock fell was because his buyout was bigger than first reported. Teams can't wait three years or whatever like the Spurs can.

He was a very known commodity. He worked out for many teams before the draft. Manu Ginobili, on the other hand, was unknown. I had a copy of the NBA Draft Guide that year that has all the prospects for the draft, and it had over 250 players listed ... but not Manu.

spvrs
06-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't think anyone thought LS would be as good as he is -- even the spurs. I doubt anyone would have predicted his leading his team to the Spanish Championship and playing for the European cup.

Gino2882
06-27-2005, 04:00 PM
I would say top 15.

It is gonna be great when he comes over here. He will work great with Manu and Duncan.

2centsworth
06-27-2005, 04:55 PM
In my homer eyes he would be top 5 if he would have played at Duke he would be #1.

SpursChampsIII
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
No way he'd go number one. Teams would get scared off by his size alone. He's probably closer to 6-foot-7 than 6-foot-9 and doesn't have overly long arms to make up for that. He's an average rebounder and probably a below average defender.

The positives are he has a great motor, very emotional, can score around the basket, has a decent jumper and competes to win. If he were in this draft, I'd see him going somewhere between 10 and 15 if he had good workouts for teams.

That's still pretty awesome if you are the Spurs. But don't kid yourself and say he'd be number one. When he was drafted, he was already pretty much a known commodity. He was the best young power forward in Europe. Now he's the best older power forward in Europe. He's pretty much followed the path that many expected.

The next step will be to see if he has the size to compete on the NBA level. If he does, the Spurs have another draft steal to add to their collection.

From what I have seen...this post is right on the money.

smeagol
06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
he's already 25 that he's not going to get much better.
Why do you say this Kori?

Manu also started playing when he was 25 and he got a lot better. What makes you think Scola cannot improve?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Why do you say this Kori?

Manu also started playing when he was 25 and he got a lot better. What makes you think Scola cannot improve?

Scola will (hopefully) get a lot better defensively, but he's not going to get taller or become a different style of player. I just don't see much room for improvement for an undersized PF. (BTW, I'm not saying he won't be good here -- he'll probably be a very nice role player.)

smeagol
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Uhh?

Two completely different players.

smeagol
06-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Scola will (hopefully) get a lot better defensively, but he's not going to get taller or become a different style of player. I just don't see much room for improvement for an undersized PF. (BTW, I'm not saying he won't be good here -- he'll probably be a very nice role player.)
I somewhat agree with you, but I think with Pop's coaching, Scola has more room to improve than what you might think.

Gino2882
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Manu greatly improved in his 2 SA seasons. To expect Scola to improve under the guidance of Tim is a great possibility.

Scola looks a legit 6'9 to me. I think he is a gonna be a VERY good role player for the Spurs. He will never be a starter on this team unless Duncan leaves but he is gonna be a great player for the Spurs.

BigDaddyMatty
06-27-2005, 05:58 PM

The top PF in Europe going in the 2nd round? That doesn't make sense. He would definately be a mid first rounder, if not a top 10 pick.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Not saying Scola's of the same caliber, but Brand wasn't exactly that tall when he was drafted...

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Scola will be great coming off the bench. He'll be facing a lot of bench bigman so he'll have plenty of opportunity to tear it up against less than stellar competition. The Spurs need some guys who bring some energy off the bench as well as guys in the frontcourt who will aggressively compete (ie Malik)...

GrandeDavid
06-27-2005, 06:28 PM
As with Manu, with the NBA fever for foreign players, he'd be a first rounder, I believe.

grjr
06-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Not saying Scola's of the same caliber, but Brand wasn't exactly that tall when he was drafted...

Last time I looked he still isn't. :lol

Brand may have longer arms than Scola though, no? Height as a statistic in basketball is overrated. Instead they should list how high you can reach and standing jump/reach. That would be more telling than height.

Athenea
06-27-2005, 06:55 PM
He had an injury come draft time. That's the reason not even Scola thought he had any chance to be drafted.

grjr
06-27-2005, 07:07 PM
He had an injury come draft time. That's the reason not even Scola thought he had any chance to be drafted.

Hmmm...I remember hearing that Scola was pissed he didn't go in the first round so he went to bed. Then he was pissed again in the morning when he learned he was taken in the second round and wasn't a free agent.

Now he's going to be pissed again if the SPurs give GRob the full MLE and make Scola wait another year. :lol

timvp
06-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Hmmm...I remember hearing that Scola was pissed he didn't go in the first round so he went to bed. Then he was pissed again in the morning when he learned he was taken in the second round and wasn't a free agent.

This is true. There was no injury that made him slip. :lol

Mr. Body
06-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Teams draft primarily for potential. "Does this player have the potential to be a star, or even a superstar?" They're infatuated with a player who hasn't quite reached his abilities. This is why high schoolers shot up the draft lists for so many years, and why Marvin Williams is ranked so high. The lottery teams need superstars, not role players.

Scola has basically maxed out. He is who he is. He'll improve position defense and positioning on rebounds, but in his mid-20s he's not going to get much better.

That said, he's going to be dynamite off the bench. Someone asked if he'd be like Corliss Williamson in his prime. I think the comparison is apt, but Scola can be better. He'll come off the bench and mow through bench competition, who will be less coached and largely worse than what he faced in Europe. He's just a terrific scorer who will help maintain leads for us while the starters go out, or even extend them.

I seriously can't wait.

NZHayden
06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
late 1st round

whottt
06-27-2005, 08:43 PM
TimVP and Marcus Bryant overlook one thing...Scola was drafted before the 2002 World Championships and a victory over team USA...a team that had J O'Neal, Elton Brande, and Ben Wallace on it...

Then of course he had a huge Olympic tournament this past summer...

I am sorry but those performances against NBA talent would most certainly have caused his NBA stock to rise quite a bit....he was originally projected as a 1st rounder, as noted by others...those performances in international competition against NBA players would have upped him quite a bit...

I am not sold on Scola's being a great NBA player...I expect him to be a lot like Malik Rose, better on offense but weaker on D and rebounding...and if he can prove me wrong in rebounding and D I'll be very happy with him...

But I think he'd be a no brainer top 5 pick in this draft...because he is somewhat proven against quality NBA players.

Altromondo
06-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Luis Scola 6-10 135 lbs born 30/04/1980
MVP 2004/2005 spanish ACB league

regular season numbers:

mpg: 29.5
eff: 24.8
ppg: 18.5
rpm: 6.7
blocks pg: 1.15
steals pg: 1.64

wildbill2u
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah I was just asking what his numbers were (those are a complete guess). I have no real idea, but I remember he was averaging that about midseason. His numbers aren't the reason I'm saying he wouldn't go top 5.

I've been wondering about all this seemingly mindless adoration of a player that no one has ever seen in an NBA game. What if he comes over and isn't the all league performer everyone seems to think he is?

If he IS that good, how can we keep him on the team in a backup role if he's capable of being an NBA starter at PF. I understand he' s strictly a PF and I think that starting job is taken.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-27-2005, 09:47 PM
For the 4th. time in 2 days, here they are, again, Luis Scola numbers this last season:

- Scola's regular season stats in the Spanish League:

GP: 33
Total Minutes: 963 (29.1 mpg)
2 pt. FG: 252/401 (63%)
FT: 108/152 (71%)
Rebounds: 221 (6.7 rpg)
Offensive: 85 (2.57 orpg)

Defensive: 136 (4.12 drpg)
Assists: 72 (2.18 apg)
Steals: 54 (1.63 spg)
Blocks: 38 (1.15 bpg)
Turnovers: 53 (1.60 TO pg)

- Stats in the Spanish League Playoffs*:

GP: 12
Total Minutes: 364 (30.3 mpg)
2 pt. FG: 83/149 (56%)
FT: 38/53 (72%)
Rebounds: 83 (6.91 rpg)
Offensive: 23 (1.91 orpg)
Defensive: 60 (5 drpg)
Assists: 29 (2.41 apg)
Steals: 18 (1.5 spg)
Blocks: 7 (0.58 bpg)
Turnovers: 21 (1.75 TO pg)

- Euroleague stats:

GP: 24
Total minutes: 683 (28.26 Min. per game)
2 pt. FG: 146/255 (57.2%)
FT: 71/105 (67.6%)
Rebounds: 155 (6.4 rpg)
Offensive: 52 (2.1 orpg)
Defensive: 103 (4.2 drpg)
Assists: 45 (1.8 apg)
Steals: 32 (1.3 spg)
Blocks: 17 (0.7 bpg)
Turnovers: 63 (2.6 TO pg)

*= In the Spanish league regular season, he was selected the MVP (his team finished with the best record). While in the playoffs his team is in the Finals. The series is tied 2-2 (best of five), they play the last game next Sunday.

In the Euroleague, Scola's team (TAU Ceramica) reached the Final game, which they lost against Maccabi Tel-Aviv from Israel.

On Sunday his team lost that final game, after an eight points lead with just one minute to go.

spvrs
06-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Luis Scola 6-10 135 lbs born 30/04/1980

Let's hope he's able to put on a little weight otherwise Tashawn Prince is going to muscle him in the block

demandole
06-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Sorry buddies but Luis Scola was drafted by the Spurs in the Draft of 2002 in the second round with the #56 pick.That mean the Spurs already has the rights of the next Spur's foward.

ambchang
06-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I am probably going to draw fire for saying this, considering I have only seen him play a couple of times in the Olympics. But from what little I saw, and a lot I heard, he sounds like Big Nasty (Corliss Williamson). An undersized PF who has a knack of scoring around the basket, but is relatively weak in rebounding and defense.
Is this assessment on target, or am I way off?

demandole
06-28-2005, 07:49 AM
You're right. His weakness are the defense and the transition not the defense at all. Let me compare him not with Corliss but with Malik Rose with more size, a good touch near the rim but with less defense and speed. I believe that he'll fit very well inside the rotation next season.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Let's hope he's able to put on a little weight otherwise Tashawn Prince is going to muscle him in the block

He's around 235. That's a typo.

spur219
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
1-10 for sure.

spvrs
06-28-2005, 08:27 AM
He's around 235. That's a typo.

Really??? you mean he's not 6'10 and 135 lbs? I thought he weighted 30 lbs less than tony parker and played PF

demandole
06-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Guys read my last topic. Luis has already drafted by the Spurs in 2002 Draft.

spvrs
06-28-2005, 08:29 AM
this is a thread about where he would be drafted if he wasn't already drafted by the spurs

Momma_monkey
06-28-2005, 08:31 AM
First Round for sure Lottery.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2005, 08:37 AM
FWIW, Corliss went #15 after averaging 19.7 pts and 7.5 reb at Arkansas. Scola might go there or lower because of his age.

mookie2001
06-28-2005, 08:37 AM
he's bigger than corlis williamson