PDA

View Full Version : Can we trade/salarydump Bonner now?

ElNono
11-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I mean, come on... I know Blair sucks too, but goddamn...

Mugen
11-01-2012, 11:20 PM
i personally don't think we should kill him.

100%duncan
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Co-signed.

timvp
11-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Not sure why a Bonner thread is necessary after this particular game, tbh.

Libri
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
You have to ask Pop permission.

timtonymanu
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
He's pretty useless now, tbh. He's not even a good regular season player anymore.

He should retire, tbh.

100%duncan
11-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Because it would be a cause for concern sooner or later,tbh. I think we all have learned this from experience.

ElNono
11-01-2012, 11:26 PM

Because he can't even play... two games in a row now he's been yanked out... he's wasting precious roster space and $3m

AussieFanKurt
11-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm declaring for the draft if Bonner can play in the nba

SA210
11-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Because I think deep down inside people fear that Pop will go back to Bonner ball as long as he's still on the roster. Include me in that lol

racm
11-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Matt Bonner second half minutes in the 2012-13 NBA season: 0

sananspursfan21
11-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Because he can't even play... two games in a row now he's been yanked out... he's wasting precious roster space and $3m

i've thought the same thing. basically if you have one single skill and you can practice it day in and day out, eat sleep and breath this ONE set skill, you can probably play in the nba. i imagine bonner is that nerd that you see in the gym that has the ball rack next to him and just shoots beyond the arc like he's in some stupid 3 pt. contest..... oh, and i forgot he's 6'10", that's gotta play a factor

SpurPadre
11-02-2012, 12:46 AM
You know a guy sucks when you wish the team kept Novak instead of him. I think Novak made more shots in his one career playoff series last season than Bonner's had in his playoff career.

SequSpur
11-02-2012, 01:02 AM
dude the pussiness factor goes up when he is on the floor drastically. when blair is out there, it's virtually nothing, most of you don't know shit about basketball anyway.

SenorSpur
11-02-2012, 01:14 AM
During each of the first game, I always find myself thinking just how much better this Spurs team would be if they had a more dynamic PF presence on the roster. A PF with some length and strength that could defend other bigs, rebound, block an occasional shot and hit a midrange J consistently. In short, all the things that Bonner doesn't do.

Ice009
11-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Matt Bonner second half minutes in the 2012-13 NBA season: 0

Now that, is good to see. Spurs really need to try and dump Bonner on a team looking for salary cap relief next season. Open up a roster spot, sign Martin and another big.

AusSpur
11-02-2012, 02:34 AM
The amnesty is still available...

therealtruth
11-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Maybe the only reason Pop is playing him is to see if he will catch fire.

easy7
11-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I cringe when I hear the commentators say "Here comes Bonner , he can spread the floor." Bonner looks lost out there.

Agloco
11-02-2012, 07:25 AM
During each of the first game, I always find myself thinking just how much better this Spurs team would be if they had a more dynamic PF presence on the roster. A PF with some length and strength that could defend other bigs, rebound, block an occasional shot and hit a midrange J consistently. In short, all the things that Bonner doesn't do.

This. I envision a 6"11 version of McDyess around the age of 28.

Alas, that's a pipe dream.

Mel_13
11-02-2012, 08:55 AM

That 3M is a sunk cost and the Spurs have an available roster spot. The best opportunity to make Bonner disappear (without packaging him with a valuable asset) was during the amnesty period in July. That has come and gone. The next best opportunity to get rid of him won't come until we approach the trade deadline and his contract becomes an attractive target for a team looking to do a salary dump.

ElNono
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM
That 3M is a sunk cost and the Spurs have an available roster spot. The best opportunity to make Bonner disappear (without packaging him with a valuable asset) was during the amnesty period in July. That has come and gone. The next best opportunity to get rid of him won't come until we approach the trade deadline and his contract becomes an attractive target for a team looking to do a salary dump.

While I agree, I'm just afraid Pop will take another taste of the forbidden red fruit and go back to him. It's a risk that's going to be there as long as Matty ice is on the roster, tbh. Especially in games like last night when Pop is quick to give up on Splitter.

:madrun just get him outta here :madrun

FuzzyLumpkins
11-02-2012, 09:47 AM
The amnesty is still available...

ElNono
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't think they can use the amnesty right now. There's only certain periods where you can use it.

Plus I would rather the Spurs con some other team and gets something in return, a la Jax.

racm
11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think they can use the amnesty right now. There's only certain periods where you can use it.

Plus I would rather the Spurs con some other team and gets something in return, a la Jax.

Knowing Pop and RC this is their thinking.

Come to think of it, the Spurs turned Bowen/Thomas/Oberto/Hill into Leonard/Jax.

Mel_13
11-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Extremely unlikely to repeat that happy set of circumstances, but if it were to happen it would occur when the Jax trade did, at the trade deadline.

Drz
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
My Bonner signal went off, and I have thusly returned.

SenorSpur, let me ask you something. What makes a team better to you? Would a team be better with a player who does the things you mentioned, or would a team be better with a player that helps his team's point differential?

Bonner, as I really, really, really hope everyone knows by now, is in the latter category. Personally, I don't think anyone should give a flying f*** HOW the player helps us win, just that he DOES. And Bonner does. If the Spurs had 5 guys who waddled around and flapped their arms like penguins, but we won every game, hey, great job I'd say.

SenorSpur
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
My Bonner signal went off, and I have thusly returned.

SenorSpur, let me ask you something. What makes a team better to you? Would a team be better with a player who does the things you mentioned, or would a team be better with a player that helps his team's point differential?

Bonner, as I really, really, really hope everyone knows by now, is in the latter category. Personally, I don't think anyone should give a flying f*** HOW the player helps us win, just that he DOES. And Bonner does. If the Spurs had 5 guys who waddled around and flapped their arms like penguins, but we won every game, hey, great job I'd say.

To be fair, if you're going to factor in point differential in this comparison, you have to consider not only how many points the player scores, but how many points he gives up. Be it missed defensive rotations, the inability to keep his man off the offensive glass, thereby leading to immediate putbacks or simply not having the foot speed to keep his man in front of him, thereby giving up easy drives to the basket. When watching Bonner, it's quite obvious opposing teams and coaches know exactly where and how to attack him. The opposition bigs have quite simply abused him and it doesn't really matter who it is. Most of us can recall the ill-fated Memphis playoff series a couple of years ago. It didn't matter what player Bonner was guarding, that player went off - consistently. They attacked him on both ends to the point that the Grizz not only took away Bonner's only offensive strength, they mentally intimidated him and he shrunk into the fetal position. Therefore, the Spurs were playing 4-on-5 basketball, whenever he was on the floor.

As to your question, I don't put too much stock into a player's contribution toward point differential. I go off of what I see. I like players that have more than one tool in their skillset, a player who can do several things well and perhaps even willing to do things other players will not. A player who works hard, embraces good coaching and can provide production (tangible and intangible) that can benefit the team in a positive way. I'll take that any day over a guy who does one thing - and only one thing - well, yet annually chokes in the playoffs.

ElNono
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
You can't even gloat about his regular season prowess so far. Sure, it's early, but the king of plus/minus has yet to put a positive point differential. Which IMO, it's further proof that's Ginobili the one that racks up those +/- numbers for the bench, not Matty Ice.

Even then, as I already pointed out in the past, I don't care if he helps you win an extra 5-10 games in the regular season. This team is good enough without him to make the playoffs anyways, and I much rather give his minutes to somebody that won't completely disappear when the playoffs roll around.

Drz
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
To be fair, if you're going to factor in point differential in this comparison, you have to consider not only how many points the player scores, but how many points he gives up. Be it missed defensive rotations, the inability to keep his man off the offensive glass, thereby leading to immediate putbacks or simply not having the foot speed to keep his man in front of him, thereby giving up easy drives to the basket. When watching Bonner, it's quite obvious opposing teams and coaches know exactly where and how to attack him. ...
Lol! The Spurs are a better defensive team when Bonner is on the floor. Look it up. :lol

As to your question, I don't put too much stock into a player's contribution toward point differential. I go off of what I see. I like players that have more than one tool in their skillset, a player who can do several things well and perhaps even willing to do things other players will not.
This is all fine. You're obviously welcome to like whatever type of player you want to like. Although your "I go off of what I see" comment alludes to why you're not aware of Bonner's defense.

A player who works hard, embraces good coaching and can provide production (tangible and intangible) that can benefit the team in a positive way.
...yet this is where you get asininely ridiculous. Bonner is the epitome of exactly what you just described.

SenorSpur
11-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Lol! The Spurs are a better defensive team when Bonner is on the floor. Look it up. :lol

This is all fine. You're obviously welcome to like whatever type of player you want to like. Although your "I go off of what I see" comment alludes to why you're not aware of Bonner's defense.

...yet this is where you get asininely ridiculous. Bonner is the epitome of exactly what you just described.

Yeah, and I see opposing players easily moving him out of position, outrebounding him and scoring at when he's guarding him. There are lies, damn lies and statistics. If Bonner benefited the Spurs so much defensively, he wouldn't have been benched by his own coach in the OKC series and in the second half of the first two regular season games of this season.

Hey, you can apologize for Bonner all you want, but if you think the Spurs are a better team with him on the roster, then you've not been watching the past 4 years of Spurs playoff basketball and it is YOU who are insanely ridiculous. However, you keep making those apologies, they are damn funny.

DapDaGenius
11-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Well hopefully Pop reads up on fan's reactions to things through various websites like how Michael Jordan did/does. :lol

SpurNation
11-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Early struggles of Tiago is forcing Pop to use Bonner/Blair more than I think he would like to use them until a (hopefully in the near future) trade can be made.

Bruno
11-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Bonner is less of an issue than in the past years.

Part of the problem with Bonner was that Pop considered him as an important part of the team and was ignoring the fact that he was a playoffs choker. It seems that this year, Pop has seen the light and he isn't relying on him. Bonner has gone from a player that hurt the team to an useless player. It's a step in the right direction and I just hope Pop won't go back to his old habits and put back Bonner as a key part of Spurs' rotation.

Trading Bonner between now and the trade deadline won't be easy given that he has a negative trade value. However, he will be in June a very good trade asset almost as good as a $4.5M trade exception.

racm
11-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Bonner's a spot minute stretch 4 whose biggest boon was limiting the minutes on TD/Horry back in 07. The problem was that Pop played him big minutes in games that count.

Now that he's back to his 5-10 minute spots (as it should be), the Spurs can now afford to win ugly again.

Drz
11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Yeah, and I see opposing players easily moving him out of position, outrebounding him and scoring at when he's guarding him. There are lies, damn lies and statistics. If Bonner benefited the Spurs so much defensively, he wouldn't have been benched by his own coach in the OKC series and in the second half of the first two regular season games of this season.He was benched because OKC was one of the few teams that played against him effectively. They have a surplus of bigs on the court, so the stretch 4 has less of an effect, and the defender they used stayed off him more to help keep the paint clogged.

Then again, the two games he didn't play against OKC were when the Spurs crashed. Coincidence? Or is basketball a team game, and the 5-man unit performance is more important than the stats of one individual player? Food for thought.

Hey, you can apologize for Bonner all you want, but if you think the Spurs are a better team with him on the roster, then you've not been watching the past 4 years of Spurs playoff basketball and it is YOU who are insanely ridiculous. However, you keep making those apologies, they are damn funny.He's been bad in the 595 minutes he's played in the postseason. He's been amazing in the 10,634 minutes he's played in the regular season. Which one tells us more about the type of player he is .... well, you're entitled to your thoughts, but I hope you can look at those numbers and come up with the correct conclusion.

SenorSpur
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
He was benched because OKC was one of the few teams that played against him effectively. They have a surplus of bigs on the court, so the stretch 4 has less of an effect, and the defender they used stayed off him more to help keep the paint clogged.

Then again, the two games he didn't play against OKC were when the Spurs crashed. Coincidence? Or is basketball a team game, and the 5-man unit performance is more important than the stats of one individual player? Food for thought.

He's been bad in the 595 minutes he's played in the postseason. He's been amazing in the 10,634 minutes he's played in the regular season. Which one tells us more about the type of player he is .... well, you're entitled to your thoughts, but I hope you can look at those numbers and come up with the correct conclusion.

Everyone knows playoff basketball is where one earns his bones and where reputations are either won or lost. It is also in the playoffs where opposing coaches design defensive schemes to take away a player's strengths, while exposing their weaknesses. Bonner is easily exposed because he possesses only one discernible skill. Combine that with the fact that he's mentally weak and you get a player who is easily taken out of his comfort zone and one whose production annually declines in the playoffs.

For some reason, you keep trying to prove what an indispensible weapon Bonner has been for this team during the regular season. It doesn't matter if he drains 5 3-pointers in a January game against some random opponent. It doesn't matter because everyone knows what will occur once the playoff begin. You're wasting your time trying to prove anything to the contrary.

I have already arrived at, what I believe, is the apporpriate conclusion about Bonner and it didn't take me four years to get there. I know what he is and more importantly, what he isn't. The rest of the NBA knows it too. The frustration is that Pop acts as though he's the only man on earth who doesn't see the obvious. THe other frustrating part for me is that, despite Bonner's numerous limitations and annual playoff failings, he continues to occupy a roster spot.

Bonner may not be the only "elephant in the room" on this roster, but he certainly is one of the most significant. You know where I stand and I know where you stand. Let's move on.

dunkman
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Only if they really need the roster spot, otherwise it's better to keep him. And his expiring contract (considering that his next season is only partially guaranteed) will be an asset approaching the mid-season trade deadline.

ElNono
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
The whole "OKC figured him out" is baloney, tbh... Bonner was statistically among the worst Spurs players during the entire playoffs (something DrZ agreed with). Looking back, he was sucking all the way back to around March.

Obviously, the Spurs were trouncing teams despite Bonner's poor production, so it's easy to try to rewrite history now.

Also, equating playoffs and regular season for player comparison is a false equivalence. There's effectively different tournaments with fairly different formats. There's obviously much more preparation towards your opponent during the playoffs, where you'll face them up to 7 times in a row and your entire season depends on beating them.

ElNono
11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Bonner is less of an issue than in the past years.

Part of the problem with Bonner was that Pop considered him as an important part of the team and was ignoring the fact that he was a playoffs choker. It seems that this year, Pop has seen the light and he isn't relying on him. Bonner has gone from a player that hurt the team to an useless player. It's a step in the right direction and I just hope Pop won't go back to his old habits and put back Bonner as a key part of Spurs' rotation.

Trading Bonner between now and the trade deadline won't be easy given that he has a negative trade value. However, he will be in June a very good trade asset almost as good as a $4.5M trade exception.

Agree with this.

BackHome
11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Bonner sucks we all know he can put up a good 3 point % during the regular season but come playoff time he chokes. If i were a team that needed to win a few more games to make the fans happy then I would pick him up but not to try to add to win a ring.