PDA

View Full Version : Tim looks really young this season

letmk
11-03-2012, 10:17 PM
The past several seasons, people also praised him for being fit. But it's more like young for age 34/35. This year he looks like a 30-year-old. Not only can he jump when taking outside shots, but also defends very aggressively, constantly trying to poke the ball or block the shot. Even when Al Jefferson made several good shots down the stretch, Tim made decent effort on his part.

Combined with the growth of Green and Leonard, this is the first time in 4/5 years I have a high hope at the beginning of a season. The last couple seasons, my hope only grew high when we seemed to wrap up the top seed in the West.

Just wish Manu can stay healthy, and grab another serviceable big man, if not through a trade, then get someone like Kenyon Martin/Dice.

NickiRasgo
11-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah I noticed that as well also during scrimmage.

Sean Cagney
11-03-2012, 10:27 PM
It's weird because two years ago he was getting blocked and looked very bad out there at times! Last year he started to turn back the clock and it appears to be continuing! I am not going to lie two years ago I wished he would retire instead of embarass himself further and he has shocked me! Only TIMMAY the best PF ever can fool us like that, he must have been out of shape or banged up bad two years ago becuase he is once again blocking shots and dunking on people again.

ChuckD
11-03-2012, 10:33 PM
It's weird because two years ago he was getting blocked and looked very bad out there at times! Last year he started to turn back the clock and it appears to be continuing! I am not going to lie two years ago I wished he would retire instead of embarass himself further and he has shocked me! Only TIMMAY the best PF ever can fool us like that, he must have been out of shape or banged up bad two years ago becuase he is once again blocking shots and dunking on people again.

It's not a coincidence that he went from 260 down to 240 after the Memphis debacle. Less weight and more outside jumpers have turned back the clock.

Kidd K
11-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Why would you have wanted Timmy to retire? Look at the shit bigs we have besides him. We would've gotten killed and struggled to be .500 the last 2 years. . . He's been our only reliable frontcourt player since we had Nazr Mohammed like 6 years ago. Spurs would've had a joke frontcourt without him. I'd gladly take worst season Timmy over any other big we've had since DRob tbh.

Sean Cagney
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Why would you have wanted Timmy to retire? Look at the shit bigs we have besides him. We would've gotten killed and struggled to be .500 the last 2 years. . . He's been our only reliable frontcourt player since we had Nazr Mohammed like 6 years ago. Spurs would've had a joke frontcourt without him. I'd gladly take worst season Timmy over any other big we've had since DRob tbh.

I am a huge fan of Tim, my fave player ever. I would not want him to embarass himself like he did that year, he looked really bad and like he was ready to go. I did not want to see my fave player ever struggle like that! I hated it. Now he is doing well and has been I am thrilled! I am glad he turned it around and did not retire and enjoy every moment of the last years I get to see him. I am glad he is doing well. I didn't really want him to retire in reality, I wanted him to be Tim again or near it! I missed the player I watched coming up.

I want Tim to go out somewhat on top, not struggling and embarassing himself like Shaq did his last few years.

Rapper
11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
It's so awesome and incredible to see Timmy for playing so efficient in past 3 games, averaging 21 points 10 Rebs per game and this is the reason why he is still the core of the spurs (Not Tony).

Dude can you imagine a 36 years old guys play so well in both ends?On the other hand I have to prasied him for being so fit as well that means he worked very very and very hard in the summer.

With a role model like Duncan I am honored and happy to be a spurs fan forever

007nites
11-03-2012, 11:59 PM
He has gotten 3 blocks in all three games. Could this be the year he wins DPOY?

Rapper
11-04-2012, 12:03 AM
He has gotten 3 blocks in all three games. Could this be the year he wins DPOY?

Too early to say it but got a chance though

Thomas82
11-04-2012, 12:09 AM

That's why I call him Benjamin Button.

Thomas82
11-04-2012, 12:09 AM

That's why I call him Benjamin Button.

Russo21
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
There's only 79 games left in the regular season. Let's hope he still looks young come playoff time!

Kidd K
11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
I am a huge fan of Tim, my fave player ever. I would not want him to embarass himself like he did that year, he looked really bad and like he was ready to go. I did not want to see my fave player ever struggle like that! I hated it. Now he is doing well and has been I am thrilled! I am glad he turned it around and did not retire and enjoy every moment of the last years I get to see him. I am glad he is doing well. I didn't really want him to retire in reality, I wanted him to be Tim again or near it! I missed the player I watched coming up.

I want Tim to go out somewhat on top, not struggling and embarassing himself like Shaq did his last few years.

I guess I see what you mean. I don't think Tim will go out like Shaq though. Shaq let himself go BADLY his last few years. . .look how fat he was. Shaq sorta stopped trying after his 4th ring, then tried for one year in Phoenix (2nd year) to prove he still had it. . . then coasted for the rest of his career after Timmy hit that three in Shaq's eye to tie the game and send it into OT in the playoffs (remember that game? Best first round game ever imo).

I don't think Timmy is that kind of person. He's already at the age where Shaq took a nosedive, but appears to be better than the last 2 seasons instead of worse. It's early, but still, looks great so far. Guy still cares a lot and thinks the Spurs can win another title if they try hard enough these next 1-2 years. He probably felt they could win the last 2 years too (so did I), but it didn't happen.

Tbh, I hope he sticks around as long as possible. Spurs won't be the same without him. It's sad to think that he's going to be gone in a couple years. I definitely wouldn't want that time to get here sooner than later. Even last year, he might not be the offensive force he used to be, but he was still locking people up on D' imo. His only particularly down year was 2 years ago. He looked like he was playing through pain all year.

Sean Cagney
11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
I guess I see what you mean. I don't think Tim will go out like Shaq though. Shaq let himself go BADLY his last few years. . .look how fat he was. Shaq sorta stopped trying after his 4th ring, then tried for one year in Phoenix (2nd year) to prove he still had it. . . then coasted for the rest of his career after Timmy hit that three in Shaq's eye to tie the game and send it into OT in the playoffs (remember that game? Best first round game ever imo).

I don't think Timmy is that kind of person. He's already at the age where Shaq took a nosedive, but appears to be better than the last 2 seasons instead of worse. It's early, but still, looks great so far. Guy still cares a lot and thinks the Spurs can win another title if they try hard enough these next 1-2 years. He probably felt they could win the last 2 years too (so did I), but it didn't happen.

Tbh, I hope he sticks around as long as possible. Spurs won't be the same without him. It's sad to think that he's going to be gone in a couple years. I definitely wouldn't want that time to get here sooner than later. Even last year, he might not be the offensive force he used to be, but he was still locking people up on D' imo. His only particularly down year was 2 years ago. He looked like he was playing through pain all year.

I agree with all you said, I will cry when he is gone BTW! I will miss Timmay like no other. He is why I am a huge fan today, loved D Rob and Elliott but Tim made me stick with the team fully and gave me hope from 99 until now, what a damn run.

Stabula
11-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Didn't he have a banged up knee two years ago? That probably had something to do with how old he looked.

tim_duncan_fan
11-05-2012, 04:21 AM
There's only(lol) 79 games left in the regular season.

This is the big, pink, bearded, trumpeting elephant in the room. I'm gonna enjoy what Duncan is doing but stay on my toes about it. If we're gonna be responsible about things, Tim needs to play no more than 32 minutes per game. Gotta preserve this new energy as much as possible.

boutons_deux
11-05-2012, 06:54 AM
This is the big, pink, bearded, trumpeting elephant in the room. I'm gonna enjoy what Duncan is doing but stay on my toes about it. If we're gonna be responsible about things, Tim needs to play no more than 32 minutes per game. Gotta preserve this new energy as much as possible.

yep, he's had other years recently where he started looking years younger, then wore down over the season.

Ice009
11-05-2012, 07:20 AM
yep, he's had other years recently where he started looking years younger, then wore down over the season.

He looked a lot better to end last season though than he did the previous two seasons. That's the difference to me. Maybe most people here aren't noticing that.

2009 and 2010 he didn't look great at the end of those seasons, but since then, I think he's looked better the last two seasons. Not sure if it is physical or mental, or a bit of both? I think the young guys and mid season acquisitions helped a lot too, because it has got to be mentally draining trying to play with guys like Bonner and the one who I will not mention ;).

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2012, 09:11 AM
his on that youth moisturizer cream that costs 1000 bucks...

boutons_deux
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinosis

is what the diagnosis said when his left leg quit on him in a Dallas game a couple years ago. He wears the Punisher brace now. Maybe the tendenosis, supposedly chronic, is diminishing

Fireball
11-06-2012, 07:35 AM
he seems to have much more confidence in his knee(s) right now ... him trying to dunk this much is showcasing that

Notorious H.O.P.
11-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I would have rather had Duncan show up with a full grey beard and start slow. Then maybe the front office would have tried harder to find a serviceable bigman. Then as soon as they signed someone who could help in the stretch run, have Duncan toss his walker aside and bring the Duncan that he's bringing now.

Lincoln
11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
It's only a matter of time before he hits a wall due to age. It has happened every year sooner or later.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-06-2012, 05:14 PM
He looks more fit and definitely loss weight. The loss of weight has placed less stress on knees and has allowed him to become more athletic.

siraulo23
11-06-2012, 05:51 PM
yeah 2009 and 2010, he also looked great and played at an all star level, then he ran out of gas and looked pretty bad towards the end of the season

last year he had a slow star but played the best he's had in the postseason in years

hopefully he can sustain this level of play for the rest of the season and POs

Obstructed_View
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
The biggest problem he had in previous years is that he wasn't in shape to play 35 minutes once the time came for him to do so, either due to wind or to wear-and-tear on his knee. Hopefully losing the weight helps in both areas. Then all he needs is a coach that plays him the required minutes in the postseason, which Pop has been more willing to do with a lighter, more nimble Duncan.

therealtruth
11-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Shaq never put the effort in. He would use the beginning of the season to work himself back into shape.

Kidd K
11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Shaq never put the effort in. He would use the beginning of the season to work himself back into shape.

Yep, exactly. I always hated when guys did that. You usually notice that in baseball more than basketball. . .dudes coming into Spring Training and there's always some line about how they're 15-20 lbs overweight. It's like some of these guys just plop on the couch and say "fuck it, it's my time off", rather than remember they're under contract for another 5 years @10+ mil a year.