PDA

View Full Version : Y!: Kenyon Martin is upset he can't get an NBA job

Em-City
11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
The NBA season is nearly a week old, and Kenyon Martin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3400) doesn't know why he still can't find a job in the league. He helped the Los Angeles Clippers during their playoff run last season. His knee issues of the past no longer seem to trouble him. And he's even willing to take a contract for the league minimum.

Read more:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kenyon-martin-upset-he-can-t-get-nba-job-04311709.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kenyon-martin-upset-he-can-t-get-nba-job-04311709.html)

Could this really work?

Pop's attitude towards Blair Splitter and even Bonner means our frontcourt is running even thinner than last year, albeit for the right reasons- not playing our under-sized, defensively soft bigmen.

Folks have called for Kenyon Martin numerous times in the off-season, but the notion was quickly shut down with a swift "he won't come here for the minimum" post.

It looks like K-Mart's situation has changed - is this an opportunity for us to nab that all-important defensive PF we've been yearning for?

discuss.

Leetonidas
11-04-2012, 11:50 PM
We won't ever have to worry about him playing soft. If he will take the minimum then our FO would be stupid not to call his agent

timtonymanu
11-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I would be all for it. I have a feeling Martin will go back to demanding more than the minimum again.

LakerHater
11-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Could they give him a 10 day & then go from there?

spurspokesman
11-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Could this really work?

Pop's attitude towards Blair Splitter and even Bonner means our frontcourt is running even thinner than last year, albeit for the right reasons- not playing our under-sized, defensively soft bigmen.

Folks have called for Kenyon Martin numerous times in the off-season, but the notion was quickly shut down with a swift "he won't come here for the minimum" post.

It looks like K-Mart's situation has changed - is this an opportunity for us to nab that all-important defensive PF we've been yearning for?

discuss.
Translation "Kenyon Martin is upset Miami or LA hasn't called". Hard to believe spurs didn't inquire.

Hoops Czar
11-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Even if he did settle for the league minimum, the FO is way too indecisive and by the time Buford finally approves, he'll be signed by someone else.

Ice009
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
If he has now truly changed his mind and is willing to play for the minimum then I really wonder why the Spurs haven't called him yet? Do they not like him character wise or do they not think he would fit basketball wise?

AussieFanKurt
11-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Dunno why we wouldn't at least offer him, he's at least an okay player - surely better than Bonner

timvp
11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Yes, please.

Ice009
11-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Yes, please.

Do you think the Spurs have contacted him, or do you think they are crazy enough to not even be interested for whatever reason?

Spur|n|Austin
11-05-2012, 12:38 AM
This is almost a no brainier for the FO, but I find it hard to believe we haven't made an offer already.

Russo21
11-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Do you think the Spurs have contacted him, or do you think they are crazy enough to not even be interested for whatever reason?

Spurs front office can be quite strange.

Duncan2177
11-05-2012, 01:07 AM
The Spurs FO would be dumb to pass on Martin.

Russo21
11-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Even if he did settle for the league minimum, the FO is way too indecisive and by the time Buford finally approves, he'll be signed by someone else.

Pretty much spot on. Let's hope they pull their finger out of their ass.

Hoops Czar
11-05-2012, 01:14 AM
This is almost a no brainier for the FO, but I find it hard to believe we haven't made an offer already.
It isn't a no brainer. Pop doesn't want a 15 man roster. Cutting CJ would be an obvious move but he won't do that. Player conflicts are another reason. Blair and Bonner wouldn't see the court. That would lead to hurt feelings, so rather than juggling aound three power forwards all vying for minutes at the same position, it's just easier to keep it at two.

He would be a great asset to the team. Too bad the Spurs don't see it that way.

ElNono
11-05-2012, 01:15 AM
for the minimum, go get him

Paranoid Pop
11-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Come on Buford, make it happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTFJocQBLyE

lurker23
11-05-2012, 01:17 AM
They were at least somewhat interested at some point. From the article:

The New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and San Antonio Spurs expressed interest at the start of free agency, sources said, but no NBA team has offered a contract – even a non-guaranteed deal – to Martin.

I'm all for it, and I really don't see what the Spurs have to lose. I think he'd be a good fit next to Splitter off the bench.

Russo21
11-05-2012, 01:22 AM
He'd probably instantly be our second or third best big. I mean who do we have?

1. Duncan
2. Diaw
3. Martin
4. Splitter
5. Blair
6. Bonner

I'd love him just for his intensity and energy he brings to the table and most importantly to relegate the turd towers to the end of the bench. Really, 1 injury to Duncan or Diaw or Splitter and our frontcourt would be very very thin, short, and shit, relying on Blair and Bonner. Even just using him for depth could be handy. You'd be crazy not to try him out.

Let's not forgot Bonner is making 3.6 million this year. Martin for the minimum is a freakin bargain compared to what we have on this team.

spurs10
11-05-2012, 01:25 AM
We could really use him as an enforcer when Tiago is on the court. I think the experience of working with the Spurs would be a positive thing for him.

Richie
11-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Another question is if a few contenders offered the minimum, would he join the Spurs?

Lets say the real contenders are Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Lakers and maybe throw in teams like the Celtics and Clippers, are we an attractive option for him over the others? He'd probably get the most playing time with us tbh.

Bruno
11-05-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm all for spurs signing Martin and then trading away Blair.

Drz
11-05-2012, 01:39 AM
The case against him is that the Spurs are a stats team, and Martin's metrics don't measure up well. Only once in the past 4 seasons have his WS/48 been above league average, and last year's was a pretty dang low .048. I'm not saying there's not room for him -- he definitely still has defensive value -- but that defense is only marginally better than what we already have. Both Blair's and Bonner's overall metrics blow him out of the water.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him here. He showed last year he's willing to play a supporting role, and with the right cast of players and coaches around him, we could certainly have another Diaw situation.

szkorhetz
11-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Want him, NOW!

xellos88330
11-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Dear basketball gods,

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

Sincerely,
Spurs fans

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2012, 01:45 AM
nobody is going to take a thug seriously, with lips tattoo on his neck....hahahaa

Russo21
11-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Yes he'd definately need to get that stupid lip tattoo removed as part of his contract agreement with the spurs. It's that terrible. Maybe cover it up with this face :pop:

benstanfield
11-05-2012, 01:57 AM
All I'm saying is that if Duncan were to somehow go down with an injury, with our roster as it stands we would lose EVERY game he missed.

Paranoid Pop
11-05-2012, 02:02 AM
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/91Bw/lol/f5-f5-f5.gif

Waiting to read that he signed for some other team.

TDMVPDPOY
11-05-2012, 02:03 AM
SPURS should get rid of bonner and blair, replace with curry and martin....or even dice is an improvement of turd towers

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-05-2012, 02:16 AM
I'd be interested in the possible reasons why he'd choose the Spurs for the min over LA, Miami and OKC. It's not like he won't get playing time there too. In fact, he's more likely to be in Pop's doghouse, than the other's.

Clipper Nation
11-05-2012, 02:22 AM
K-Mart is a dumbass, tbh... if he didn't squabble with Vinny last year, he'd probably still be in the league on our bench...

ElNono
11-05-2012, 02:31 AM
do it Mitch!

will_spurs
11-05-2012, 02:38 AM
Translation: I'll play for the minimum for any team that doesn't have championship aspirations or the money to pay me, mostly in order to raise my stock again.

I can't believe for a minute no team offered him even a 10-day flier. Like Dallas.

spurspokesman
11-05-2012, 02:44 AM
I would love to see Kmart in silver and black. Outside of our legendary duncan and the renewed diaw we have to have about the worst collection of bigs in the league. This sh#^ is depressing. Bonner is probably close to the worst at his height in the league and should be the one job hunting.

lurker23
11-05-2012, 02:48 AM
I can't believe for a minute no team offered him even a 10-day flier. Like Dallas.

10-day contracts aren't available until January. That being said, I agree that I find it unlikely that no one offered him a non-guaranteed training camp spot.

Em-City
11-05-2012, 02:53 AM
K-Mart is a dumbass, tbh... if he didn't squabble with Vinny last year, he'd probably still be in the league on our bench...

what did his squabbles consist of? Vinnie isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but i'd be curious as to what their beef was all about.

therealtruth
11-05-2012, 02:58 AM
The case against him is that the Spurs are a stats team, and Martin's metrics don't measure up well. Only once in the past 4 seasons have his WS/48 been above league average, and last year's was a pretty dang low .048. I'm not saying there's not room for him -- he definitely still has defensive value -- but that defense is only marginally better than what we already have. Both Blair's and Bonner's overall metrics blow him out of the water.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want him here. He showed last year he's willing to play a supporting role, and with the right cast of players and coaches around him, we could certainly have another Diaw situation.

His stats would probably get better playing on the Spurs.

will_spurs
11-05-2012, 05:10 AM
That being said, I agree that I find it unlikely that no one offered him a non-guaranteed training camp spot.

On the other hand we have to remember the source for this news is Balls Don't Lie, which is only a hair above hoopsworld and bleacher report in terms of credibility.

sinok
11-05-2012, 05:52 AM
In K mArt other topic:

If Martin wants to know why he's not signed, the first thing he needs to do is stop sending mixed messages.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Kenyon-Martin-still-not-playing-for-any-team-unless-they-offer-him-mini-mid-level-exception-NBA-News-a198237 3 days ago

objective
11-05-2012, 05:52 AM
what did his squabbles consist of? Vinnie isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but i'd be curious as to what their beef was all about.

The only thing I remember was an unsubstantiated report from a playoffs Clippersblog live postgame webcast. Never read the site itself, but during one of the postgames on youtube for either game 3 or game 4 against the Spurs one of the hosts said he had heard a report from someone near the bench that Martin had refused to enter or re-enter the game at some point. Neither of the other hosts or guests had heard the same and that was all there was.

jermaine
11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
He been had those lips removed. It's a crown now. Trina, who's lips they were. Made fun of him after they broke up. He left his wife an kids for that slut too. He's stupid as shit, but he can play basketball. His family is still in Dallas. I wish I knew them. I'll go ask him why not sign with the Spurs.

bklynspursfan
11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
This would just make too much sense. So I don't see it happening. Diaw seemed like a sure thing cause of his ties with TP. Not so sure about this one, tho I'm hoping to be surprised.

:depressed

ThaBigFundamental21
11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Yuck. Keep him out of a Spurs uniform.

lefty
11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, please.

I agree :cry

No more Bonner :cry

I can't take it anymore :pctoss

bklynspursfan
11-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Didn't Timmy say having Jack gives us street cred? Isn't that enough? What's the hold up?? lol

Drz
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Stop dreaming Bonner haters, there's no way we move Bonner to make room for KMart. I'll take $5 action on that, 200 to 1 odds (srs). Free five bucks for me.

The most likely scenario that actually involves us getting KMart is either we trade Blair for a 2nd round pick, or Cory Joseph goes back to the Toros. I don't think either happens. I think Blair's trade value IS an early 2nd round pick (at best), so that's kind of a wash, and the addition of KMart would be a wash too --- in other words, the whole deal isn't bad, but I don't think we improve. Only happens if Blair on the team becomes a big chemistry problem, and despite there being what certainly qualifies as drama here in SA, by all accounts the players and even coaches still like him. Cory Joseph to the Toros is more likely, but I'm assuming the FO wants to keep the number of guards/forwards/etc. constant, so I doubt that happens either.

eDizzle20
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
It is surprising the Spurs wouldn't invest into K-Mart, but the front office is not as quick to pull the trigger on any deal as fans are. Until the Spurs start losing and it's because of the bigs off the bench I do not see the front office bringing in a 5th big without it being through a trade involving Splitter or Blair. The only we the Spurs will be able to unload Blair and Splitter will result in the Spurs having to take on a large contract or late 1st or 2nd round draft picks, which they will not do.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Cory Joseph to the Toros is more likely, but I'm assuming the FO wants to keep the number of guards/forwards/etc. constant, so I doubt that happens either.

Whether Cory is assigned to the Toros or not has zero effect on signing a FA. Also, the Spurs have an open roster spot anyway. The problem is that Martin is unlikely to choose the Spurs over LA or Mia, given that all can offer him the same money.

scanry
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Do the Spurs even have the money to offer him a contract? If not, we should begin by trading Blair & Bonner to Toronto or the Pistons for draft picks.

spurraider21
11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
I think a lot of people are upset because they're unemployed

ManuTastic
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
KMart is so obviously a giant upgrade over Blair/Bonner that I cannot even fathom why he's not here yet.

temujin
11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
K Martin was one of the reasons the Clippers advanced to the second round last year, together with Evans.
The Memphis series was a dogfight and he was right into it.
Why am I NOT surprised that he's not on their roster anymore?

temujin
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
:lol

yeah, I'd -briefly- consider taking a leave from what I'm doing, a short one though, to be employed by an NBA team.
Albeit only an elite one.

Darkwaters
11-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Regardless of where you are in cap situation, you can always sign players to minimum contracts. So - yes, the Spurs can offer him the minimum.

Embedded
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
K-Mart is one of the most notable thugs in the NBA. I don't think TD wants to play with him. If you guys don't remember, he got in trouble a few years ago by, while he was on the bench, pointing out to his posse the people that were heckling him, as if to put out a hit after the game. I think he is pure retard. Of course, if he dons a Spurs uniform I wil cheer him on, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the FO doesn't go after him. BTW he broke up with the girl and had those ridiculous red lips removed, or I think they were painted over with a black rectangle. What a DOOFUS!!!!! My nickname for him is Sea Monster, especially when he was younger he looked like the creature from the black lagoon.

Paranoid Pop
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
K-Mart is one of the most notable thugs in the NBA. I don't think TD wants to play with him. If you guys don't remember, he got in trouble a few years ago by, while he was on the bench, pointing out to his posse the people that were heckling him, as if to put out a hit after the game. I think he is pure retard. Of course, if he dons a Spurs uniform I wil cheer him on, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the FO doesn't go after him. BTW he broke up with the girl and had those ridiculous red lips removed, or I think they were painted over with a black rectangle. What a DOOFUS!!!!! My nickname for him is Sea Monster, especially when he was younger he looked like the creature from the black lagoon.

Who cares if he's a retard and a thug, Bonner is a cerebral nice guy and no one really gives a shit, bottom line is KMart can play defense.

crc21209
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I don't see how he isn't here already. Do it Pop and R.C.!

MR.SILVER&BLack
11-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Sign him, try to Salary dump Bonner for a protected 2nd round pick, and then sign McDyess. when other teams bigs are trying to ruff up Tim, pop can send them in to lay the wood down on motherfuckers. Hell trade blair away & sign Ben Wallace too solely just to crack skulls.

Tired of this soft ass front court outside Tim, Leonard, & Jax.

11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Spurs should sign him... they are one Duncan injury away from the entire interior defense going to shit.

Clipper Nation
11-05-2012, 04:59 PM
K Martin was one of the reasons the Clippers advanced to the second round last year, together with Evans.
The Memphis series was a dogfight and he was right into it.
Why am I NOT surprised that he's not on their roster anymore?

Because he openly argued with the coach on the sideline during a playoff series, yet he wonders why nobody's calling him with an offer....

weebo
11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
KMart is too dumb to play in the Spurs system. Hell, there's several guys on the team that have been playing for the Spurs for years and still don't have the concept entirely down (Splitter).

temujin
11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Because he openly argued with the coach on the sideline during a playoff series, yet he wonders why nobody's calling him with an offer....

Seriously, it would be hard NOT to argue with Del negro in PO series....

snickles
11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Could they give him a 10 day & then go from there?

not that i would in any way be for it, but i don't believe 10 day contracts can be offered until a bit later in the season. i want to say the date is the same that non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed if the player isn't cut, but don't quote me on that.

Obstructed_View
11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Since the coach in question is Del Negro, that should endear him to Pop.

gee
11-06-2012, 01:52 AM
too stupid + shitty attitude + gonna be bitching for a higher contract when he's barely worth vet min as it is... Spurs are better to leave this stone unturned.
Of course, there's a good chance he could come in and like so many other players have a complete change of character by just being in the Spurs environment, but all the difficulties he's making for himself in even getting signed is a decent sign he's going to be more trouble than what he's worth, and we should just stay away.

Mark in Austin
11-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Credit to Martin's agent for getting this puff piece published.

Paranoid Pop
11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
If we got him I'd feel twice as good about our chances tbh, I'm still hoping against hope...

Johnny RIngo
11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
If we got him I'd feel twice as good about our chances tbh, I'm still hoping against hope...

lol at Kenyon Martin being the difference maker on championship team. If he was that good, he'd be signed to a team already. On a serious note, I'd like the Spurs to pick him up but wouldn't be terribly upset if they didn't.

Fireball
11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, getting upset every time the Spurs do not pick up a decent available free agent is not good for your health anyway ...

benefactor
11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I had warmed up to the idea at first but the more I think about it the more I don't want him. Teams that want to win championships just don't allow Kenyon Martin on their team. History is a valuable teacher.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126984

Notorious H.O.P.
11-06-2012, 01:39 PM
If he doesn't get picked up by tomorrow, then it proves that he is still looking for a contract above the minimum. We have a ton of armchair GMs across the country wondering why their team isn't picking him up and making their voices heard. In the end, at that price, someone will take a look.

I've never been a fan of KMart's wannabe thug attitude but he represents a key element. He is the "Best of What's Left" in the bigman bin and we do need some bigman help in the defensive area.

But the Spurs know the window is closing (if not already closed) so they appear to be doubling down on the idea of "corporate knowledge" being the the best way for one last shot. Maybe they are thinking the KMart's low BBIQ would hinder their title quest more than help. I'd prefer that they gave him a chance if he really wants an NBA job with great team for a minimum contract but despite the desperate sounding plea, it doesn't look to be the case.

Spur|n|Austin
11-06-2012, 08:41 PM
It isn't a no brainer. Pop doesn't want a 15 man roster. Cutting CJ would be an obvious move but he won't do that. Player conflicts are another reason. Blair and Bonner wouldn't see the court. That would lead to hurt feelings, so rather than juggling aound three power forwards all vying for minutes at the same position, it's just easier to keep it at two.

He would be a great asset to the team. Too bad the Spurs don't see it that way.

Im going to go out on a limb and say Pop doesn't really care about hurt feelings.

dunkman
11-06-2012, 10:28 PM
I guess the Spurs think they are good with what they have. I think they will do fine in the regular season, but they will miss a player like K-Mart in the post season.

The Spurs can use Diaw at PF, go small with either Kawhi or Jack at PF, or play Duncan at PF with Splitter at C. Some foul trouble would complicate things. Bonner or Blair can't play in the off-season.

Martin would bring more options, the PF/C rotation of Duncan - Diaw & Splitter - Martin is quite good. The same can't be said when the Spurs have to play Bonner or Blair since defense wins championships, and I'm not sure if there has ever been an team that has advanced far playing small ball.

racm
11-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I guess the Spurs think they are good with what they have. I think they will do fine in the regular season, but they will miss a player like K-Mart in the post season.

The Spurs can use Diaw at PF, go small with either Kawhi or Jack at PF, or play Duncan at PF with Splitter at C. Some foul trouble would complicate things. Bonner or Blair can't play in the off-season.

Martin would bring more options, the PF/C rotation of Duncan - Diaw & Splitter - Martin is quite good. The same can't be said when the Spurs have to play Bonner or Blair since defense wins championships, and I'm not sure if there has ever been an team that has advanced far playing small ball.

Did you stop watching the NBA after the WCF? I'm pretty sure LeBron James played the 4.

ChuckD
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Martin and his agent failed to realize the new reality: MLE and mini MLE. contracts no longer grow on trees. They played poker and lost. They needed to fold their hand when training camp started. SA could have signed him and cut Blair at no cost, but once the season started, Blair became fully guaranteed. Holt isn't going to eat Blair's deal because KMart and his agent are stupid.

Richie
11-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah, the only reason not to do this is if Pop thinks he can get past Lakers with our current front line and if we face the Thunder and Heat, Durant and LeBron will see significant time at the 4. If that happens we can play Jack and Kawhi at the 4 with Duncan at the 5 and hopefully be ok.

racm
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah, the only reason not to do this is if Pop thinks he can get past Lakers with our current front line and if we face the Thunder and Heat, Durant and LeBron will see significant time at the 4. If that happens we can play Jack and Kawhi at the 4 with Duncan at the 5 and hopefully be ok.

The Lakers aren't really a threat at this point. Yes, they've looked good dropping the Pistons after getting crapped on in their first 3 games, but with Nash out they have the same roster construction as last year's. The Princeton Offense doesn't suit them, period; they simply need to pick and roll ad nauseam.

Paranoid Pop
11-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Martin and his agent failed to realize the new reality: MLE and mini MLE. contracts no longer grow on trees. They played poker and lost. They needed to fold their hand when training camp started. SA could have signed him and cut Blair at no cost, but once the season started, Blair became fully guaranteed. Holt isn't going to eat Blair's deal because KMart and his agent are stupid.

Makes sense, still infuriating for us fans.

swaggerjackson
11-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I have to wonder if the front office is even dissatisfied with our frontcourt. Obviously they have never publicly bashed Blair or Bonner, but sometime I think they truly do like the frontcourt and think it is strong enough to win a championship. I mean they cut Curry. We have not heard of any interest in McDyess even though he already knows the system and could fill the position we all think the spurs need. And now when KMart seems to be acting more reasonable there is yet again no apparent interest being shown by the spurs front office. I know they do things quietly but lately I have been starting to think that they are truly content with the roster and don't think they could feasibly improve the frontcourt.

dunkman
11-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Did you stop watching the NBA after the WCF? I'm pretty sure LeBron James played the 4.

LeBron has the strenght and height of a PF, that can't be really called small ball.

Mel_13
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
So this story was complete BS. It's been over 60 hours since Martin was quoted as saying "If someone calls me tomorrow, I don't care who it is, whether it's losing or winning at this point," Martin said. "If someone calls me tomorrow and wants me to come in, I'm going."

Unless you believe that there isn't a single team in the NBA willing to offer a minimum contract to Martin, the report can't be treated seriously.

In any event, Martin isn't a possibility for the Spurs until:

1. He really accepts the fact that he won't get more than the minimum and

2. None of the five teams in NY, LA, or Miami will offer him that minimum contract.

Then, and only then, does he consider the Spurs.

ginobilized
11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
No Kmart shopping, please.
I always cheered whenever he came into games against the Spurs because we always seemed to go on huge runs when he makes bonehead plays.

Btw, I'm upset that I can't get a job in the NBA but I will refrain from starting a thread about it.

Dex
11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
I dont know if K-Mart really would want to play alongside Tim Duncan. Those two always seemed to share a bit of animosity for one another.

He probably wouldn't like coming off the bench with Bonner, either.

Kidd K
11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Another question is if a few contenders offered the minimum, would he join the Spurs?

Lets say the real contenders are Heat, Spurs, Thunder, Lakers and maybe throw in teams like the Celtics and Clippers, are we an attractive option for him over the others? He'd probably get the most playing time with us tbh.

The Thunder aren't as good as everyone else you listed anymore imo. I don't think he'd get any extra time with the Lakers than he would us, though it's a bigger market for himself. I could see him playing to the Celts or Clipps again, but they're not as good (not to mention the Vinny situation). Heat though, yeah, but I guess they haven't offered him a deal.

That's a good point. . .though you're forgetting Diaw's DWS stat was significantly worse before we got him. Martin's career DWS stat is almost twice as high as Diaw's, despite only playing a little bit more games and minutes.

The main issue with Martin is that his offense is pretty terrible. He's definitely good on D' but would be one of our worst players on offense.

Sign him, try to Salary dump Bonner for a protected 2nd round pick, and then sign McDyess. when other teams bigs are trying to ruff up Tim, pop can send them in to lay the wood down on motherfuckers. Hell trade blair away & sign Ben Wallace too solely just to crack skulls.

Tired of this soft ass front court outside Tim, Leonard, & Jax.

I like your enthusiasm

silverblk mystix
11-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't know how many times I have stated this but;

Just because people here think the spurs want/need/are looking for/should - get a big does NOT mean that Pop agrees with you. In fact, after hearing this same song year in and year out since the last spurs title-it is a pretty safe bet that Pop has no interest and will continue not having an interest in ANY bigs.

It probably never dawned on Pop that the Spurs aren't winning any titles since they went small and acquired Bonner- and it probably won't dawn on him this season when the spurs get ass-raped in the playoffs due to their midget front line.

Yet, everyone here will continue to praise Pop and blame everyone but Pop for this state of affairs.

superbigtime
11-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Pop likes his teams to win against all odds, including having a head coach who loves playing small and who won't publicly decry shitty refereeing in the playoffs and who loves to truck out weak minded red headed chuckers when it matters most, while his 7 foot talent wastes on the bench after being chastised for a less than egregious error. The day his mind-scrambled team wins a championship, the world will truly know what a coaching genius he truly is.

dunkman
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
This team has good talent at every position, I'm not sure why the Spurs don't sign another good PF. Pop must have an excellent opinion of Bonner. Tbh, Blair as a third string C is not a bad option and he can be effective vs certain teams in the RS.

Bonner will disappear in the post-season and the small ball or Diaw who knows if will be effective vs the teams with elite bigs. Perhaps RC and Pop think the Spurs can overcome that with the talent they have at every other position.

silverblk mystix
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Pop likes his teams to win against all odds, including having a head coach who loves playing small and who won't publicly decry shitty refereeing in the playoffs and who loves to truck out weak minded red headed chuckers when it matters most, while his 7 foot talent wastes on the bench after being chastised for a less than egregious error. The day his mind-scrambled team wins a championship, the world will truly know what a coaching genius he truly is.

Post of the week,tbh.

Duncan2177
11-07-2012, 09:48 PM
If Pop and RC believe that Blair and Bonner can help win a championship they are delusional.

Malik Hairston
11-08-2012, 12:46 AM
It would be nice to have a guy like Martin for games like these, tbh, instead of the soft play from Splitter, Blair and Bonner..it's embarrassing having monkeyball staring down and intimidating the bigs on the Spurs roster..

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2012, 01:09 AM
HH is right, we need this guy to not puss it up when Splitter, Bonner etc are being soft as fuck. Also at least he fucking does something

bthewigwam
11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Not sure if this is already being discussed anywhere else.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/348820-heat-now-top-k-marts-wish-list?sct=nba_t2_a6&eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI

bthewigwam
11-13-2012, 02:35 PM
It says he prefers to go to the Heat

Obstructed_View
11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Which we all knew when he said he'd play for the minimum.

Dex
11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
It says he prefers to go to the Heat

Surprise surprise.

Have basketball players always been freeloading front-runners, or is this just something new that has developed here in the SuperTeam era?

Obstructed_View
11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Surprise surprise.

Have basketball players always been freeloading front-runners, or is this just something new that has developed here in the SuperTeam era?

Didn't Kareem ask to be traded to the Lakers?

Dex
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Didn't Kareem ask to be traded to the Lakers?

Appears to be how it went down.

Abdul-Jabbar relates to Howard's situation because both asked to be traded.

Although Abdul-Jabbar had won a championship with Milwaukee, he believed that Oscar Robertson's retirement in 1974 significantly hurt the team's chances of winning another title. So he asked the front office to trade him to either the New York Knicks or the Lakers.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/14/sports/la-sp-lakers-kareem-howard-20120815

Obstructed_View
11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Marquee teams are no strangers to freeloading frontrunners.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Appears to be how it went down.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/14/sports/la-sp-lakers-kareem-howard-20120815

Except those post Chamberlain Lakers were pretty mediocre until Magic showed up. He failed to make the playoffs more often than he got to the WCF without Big O or Magic.

jermaine
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
IM SO FUCKING SICK OF EVERYONE WANTING TO COAT TAIL WITH THE HEAT. THESES NIGGAS IS BITCH NIGGAS THESE DAYS

Clipper Nation
11-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Since the coach in question is Del Negro, that should endear him to Pop.

Popovich is no stranger to what the Clippers are trying to do. Del Negro routinely calls his former coach to pick his brain in the offseason and has ever since he retired as a player. But now Del Negro is doing it with an eye to emulate and possibly overtake his mentor.

"You have to have the desire to do it, it has to be in your blood, and Vinny had that," Popovich said. "He always had suggestions and he always wanted to talk about basketball. He watched film and understood what won or lost. He's one of the best pick-and-roll players I've ever had. He understands what it meant and how to put it together."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/clippers/post/_/id/2893/clippers-use-spurs-as-a-model-for-success
:downspin:

Obstructed_View
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Frankly, can't remember what I was thinking when I typed that. Might have been the way Del Negro left the team, but I think that was for financial reasons. It was a joke that was clearly based on misremembered facts. :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
In a heart beat. Get this man in a Spurs uni.

He has a high basketball IQ. He's a team player. He's tough. He can hit the mid range jumper.

dunkman
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
As the Spurs keep winning RS games, they won't add anyone. However, as the Lakers and OKC improve later in the season they may need someone like K-Mart. Specially in the post season. But if one of the big market teams or the Heat want to sign him, I dont see him signing with the Spurs, tbh.

Its true Manu didn't play well vs the Lakers, but its still worrying that the Spurs need a game winning shot vs the Lakers that are currently sub .500 and with new coach in his first game. Once they start playing well, they may be difficult to beat.

coco1983
11-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Now's the time to get him with Kawhi's injury. DO IT front office!

AussieFanKurt
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
bump

Ice009
12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
you can't force the fucker to sign.

exstatic
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
The Spurs are at 15 on the NBA roster, and RIGHT up against the tax, which they have gone on record as NOT being willing to pay this year. Even if you cut Anderson, I'm not sure if that frees up enough for a league-subsidized vet minimum contract. Anderson is the ONLY non-guaranteed contract that will actually reduce the cap/tax burden, and is a non-essential player. I believe Neal locks into guaranteed mode in January, but he's not really cuttable. If they cut Blair, they're still on the hook for his whole cap/tax figure for the year.

The math just doesn't work, unless we pull a trade that both reduces the tax burden and sends out more players than we take in.

Mel_13
12-18-2012, 05:19 PM
The Spurs are at 15 on the NBA roster, and RIGHT up against the tax, which they have gone on record as NOT being willing to pay this year. Even if you cut Anderson, I'm not sure if that frees up enough for a league-subsidized vet minimum contract. Anderson is the ONLY non-guaranteed contract that will actually reduce the cap/tax burden, and is a non-essential player. I believe Neal locks into guaranteed mode in January, but he's not really cuttable. If they cut Blair, they're still on the hook for his whole cap/tax figure for the year.

The math just doesn't work, unless we pull a trade that both reduces the tax burden and sends out more players than we take in.

All that and there is still no reason to believe that he would sign a minimum contract with the Spurs. The simple fact that he remains a free agent six weeks after this thread started is absolute proof that the comments attributed to him at that time were total BS.

ace3g
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
The Knicks have done some additional fact-finding on Martin in recent days, sources said.

Martin has been open-minded about the possibility of accepting a 10-day contract to get the opportunity to prove his value to the Knicks, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--knicks-consider-signing-kenyon-martin-225439625.html

Capt Bringdown
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Abdul-Jabbar relates to Howard's situation because both asked to be traded.

Although Abdul-Jabbar had won a championship with Milwaukee, he believed that Oscar Robertson's retirement in 1974 significantly hurt the team's chances of winning another title. So he asked the front office to trade him to either the New York Knicks or the Lakers.

Jabbar was born and raised in NYC I believe, and of course went on to have a fantastic term at UCLA. I reckon there's more to it than merely front-running in his case. He isn't LeBron.

Seventyniner
01-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I know some posters on here have semi-inside access, or at least a more informed viewpoint than us gnsfs. I would like to ask them, then, which of the following (if any) are reasons that we haven't heard any news about K-Mart and the Spurs:

1) The FO thinks he's done
2) Martin has already turned the Spurs down (i.e. recently; Martin has obviously had a change of heart since his no-minimum stance)
3) The FO thinks he isn't any better than Bonner or Blair
4) The FO has interest and is playing their cards so close to the vest that no rumors have leaked out
5) Luxury tax concerns (the league pays everything above the rookie minimum for veteran minimum contracts, but does the whole contract count towards the tax? That would push the Spurs over)
6) Roster flexibility
7) Chemistry concerns

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I know some posters on here have semi-inside access, or at least a more informed viewpoint than us gnsfs. I would like to ask them, then, which of the following (if any) are reasons that we haven't heard any news about K-Mart and the Spurs:

2) Martin has already turned the Spurs down (i.e. recently; Martin has obviously had a change of heart since his no-minimum stance)
4) The FO has interest and is playing their cards so close to the vest that no rumors have leaked out
5) Luxury tax concerns (the league pays everything above the rookie minimum for veteran minimum contracts, but does the whole contract count towards the tax? That would push the Spurs over)
6) Roster flexibility
7) Chemistry concerns

I don't have any inside and I doubt I'm more informed than you. I believe that you've got it covered with points 1,2,5,6,and 7.

There were reports that the Spurs were interested last year when he came back from China and he chose to sign with the Clips. I still believe that he's holding out for an offer to play for one of the five teams in NY, LA, and Miami.

Seventyniner
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't have any inside and I doubt I'm more informed than you. I believe that you've got it covered with points 1,2,5,6,and 7.

There were reports that the Spurs were interested last year when he came back from China and he chose to sign with the Clips. I still believe that he's holding out for an offer to play for one of the five teams in NY, LA, and Miami.

Good point about picking his destination. He's likely trolling for a ring, though it's ironic that he could potentially put the Spurs over the top, given that he probably isn't considering San Antonio.

Also, any two of those reasons (heck, even one if Pop and RC are nitty enough) are enough for the Spurs to close that door. Five is a death knell.

dunkman
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM

I have the impression the FO policy is to move on for good, once a player turns down the Spurs. The only exception to that rule, could have been Jack - and his case was special, as the primary objective of the trade was to unload RJ and Jack was lobbying long time to get traded to the Spurs.

td4mvp2k
01-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I have the impression the FO policy is to move on for good, once a player turns down the Spurs. The only exception to that rule, could have been Jack - and his case was special, as the primary objective of the trade was to unload RJ and Jack was lobbying long time to get traded to the Spurs.

Yes and KMart dont want to be in S.A. so let it go and get a player who will.

Ice009
01-09-2013, 06:15 AM

So you think that the Spurs did want him and he turned them down? You might be right though, it seems that the Spurs don't go around chasing players if they don't want to play here. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. Sometimes you might be able to sign the player if you go the extra mile.

Seventyniner
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM

6) Roster flexibility
7) Chemistry concerns

And the winner is...
8) The FO had someone else in mind (Baynes)

Mel_13
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
And the winner is...
8) The FO had someone else in mind (Baynes)

:lol

6 and 7 still fit, tbh.

dunkman
01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
So you think that the Spurs did want him and he turned them down? You might be right though, it seems that the Spurs don't go around chasing players if they don't want to play here. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. Sometimes you might be able to sign the player if you go the extra mile.

It's difficult to say, but as Dirk says you don't want to build a team based on hope. Apparently, the FO feels comfortable with Duncan, Splitter and Diaw for the playoffs plus some small ball in the mix.

The Lakers have better bigman rotation in theory, but they are struggling. The Grizzlies want to get under the tax and may ship Z-Bo or Gay. But there is also OKC, hopefully with Duncan playing at all-star level and Splitter playing better, the Spurs will be able to win 4 out of 7 without improving the presence in the paint - which honestly seems difficult. Ibaka - Collison - Perkins is a very good rotation, and Durant with 6'10" and his speed and skill creates all types of miss-matches. However, not sure if K-Mart signed mid-season could help there (after missing the pre-season, which Pop considers very important for a bigman).

bigfan
01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Frankly, the reason he is unemployed is because nobody wants to put up with his gangsta antics. The guy is lockerroom poison.