PDA

View Full Version : Weighing the Pre-K for SA pluses and minuses...big boo

Nbadan
11-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I like that the programs pays for parent training and involvement in the education process but I hate that only certain segments of children will be allowed into the program at all..many who already qualify for the federal half day program but don't take advantage of it...

Starting Master teacher's salaries at 60K is way too high....what are the city's qualifications for being a 'master Kinder teacher' anyway? who the hell knows since there is no state standards before 3rd grade...plus, there are experienced highly-qualified, high school science and math teachers who would make much less who teach much tougher kids...boo

There are serious concerns about who would design the curriculum, and how teachers would be trained.....Seems like someone at the city came up with this plan and did not even consider to ask the city districts how they felt about provisions that would directly affect districts, like administrative and transportation costs...big boo..

If you've read my posts here you already know I am a big advocate of education causes here in SA, especially when it comes to offering support to students to foster the chance at being successful no matter their background, but even I in good conscience cannot support this Pre-K for SA initiate...it's poorly thought out...San Antonio taxpayers already pay almost 50% of taxes to education...let's find a better way to fund education and fix the problems through the districts we already have rather than creating a new bloated system