PDA

View Full Version : Biggest draft steals in history (SI.com)

jalbre6
06-27-2005, 05:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/27/nba/content.21.html

20. Sedale Threatt, 76ers
No. 149 -- Sixth Round, 1983

A difficult personality, to be sure, but Threatt was averaging 25 minutes per game in his third season for a 76ers team that boasted Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Julius Erving and Maurice Cheeks. Over the course of his 14-year career, Threatt and his 9.8 points per game managed to find his way to where the stars were, also playing alongside Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, James Worthy, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon.

19. Chris Dudley, Cavs
No. 75 -- Fourth Round, 1987

Laugh all you want, but somehow Dudley managed to play in the NBA for 16 seasons, and he's made 691 more free throws more than you have in the league. Working with what he had, Dudley was a solid shot-blocker and rebounder for four different teams (including two stops in Portland), and jumped center for the Knicks in the '99 NBA Finals.

18. Gerald Wilkins, Knicks
No. 47 -- Second Round, 1985

Hard to believe Dominque's brother would drop to the end of the second round; if Ray Allen's brother were available in this year's draft, teams would snap him up based solely on the possibility of luring Ray as a free agent alone. The younger Wilkins enjoyed a fine career with the Knicks, often flourishing in Rick Pitino’s pressing system. The man nicknamed "Doug E. Fresh," Wilkins averaged 19.1 points per game in his second year, and played 13 seasons total.

17. P.J. Brown, Nets
No. 29 -- Second Round, 1992

A nice guy with poor touch whose body has held up for 12 seasons. Brown is one of the most underrated post defenders of the last 25 years. He's produced nine points and eight rebounds per night on average over the course of his career, and even received an unexpected fifth-place vote for MVP in '05 for his role as one of the very few professionals playing for the Hornets.

16. Steve Kerr, Suns/Kyle Korver, Nets
No. 50 -- Second Round, 1988/No. 51 -- Second Round, 2003

Shooters nonpareil, Korver and Kerr each were late second-round picks that took one skill -- nailing shots with perfect rotation from 25 feet -- and created a career around it. Kerr may eventually prove to have done more with his gifts, including a 15-season run and five championship rings, but Korver is off to a nice start and gets points for his innate ability to steal your girlfriend with his dreamy good looks.

15. Jerome Kersey, Trail Blazers
No. 16 -- First Round, 1984

Another brilliant Portland find on a team filled with them (Clyde Drexler, 14th overall; Kevin Duckworth, 33rd overall and Petrovic), Kersey was an integral part of several Trail Blazers runs deep into the playoffs. Kersey also managed to build upon his significant athletic gifts as his career wound down, and he ended up making the playoffs in 15 of his 17 seasons.

14. Mark Eaton, Jazz
No. 72 -- Fourth Round, 1982

Taken nine spots behind stick-figure curio Chuck Nevitt, Eaton developed into a sturdy NBA pivot force, highlighted by the manner in which he flustered Kareem Abdul-Jabbar during the '88 playoffs. Eaton's 3,064 blocks are still fourth all-time in league history.

13. Mario Elie, Jazz
No. 170 -- Seventh Round, 1985

American University isn't your typical breeding ground for an 11-year career and three NBA titles. But that's exactly what it was for a player who filled in the gaps for the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson.

12. Danny Ainge, Celtics/Eddie Johnson, Kings
Nos. 31 and 29 -- Second Round, 1981

Selected just two spots apart from each other in the '81 draft, Ainge and Johnson were seemingly dissimilar players whose fortunes may have switched places had they ended up on different teams. Blessed with a spot on the Boston Celtics, Ainge bided his time before taking over as a hybrid guard who often had to temper his wily instincts for a team that won two world titles. Johnson, a pure scorer who averaged 16 points per game over the course of a 17-year career, bounced around to a series of forgettable teams, often having to carry the load offensively to keep his squads afloat.

11. Jeff Ruland, Bullets
No. 25 -- Second Round, 1980

One of the forgotten big men of the '80s, Ruland was a strong interior presence for the Washington Bullets for five seasons. Displaying a deft touch belied an imposing demeanor, Ruland averaged 18.7 points and 10.8 rebounds before injuries derailed his career.

10. Drazen Petrovic, Trail Blazers
No. 60 -- Third Round, 1986

Selecting Arvydas Sabonis with the 24th overall pick in '86 was impressive, but it was hard to miss the internationally renowned big man, even back in the mid-'80s. But taking a 21-year old Yugoslavian guard with the 60th overall pick calls for real vision, and speaks to a Trail Blazers scouting department willing to go the extra country. All Petrovic did was grow into a cannily accurate shooter, shooting almost 51 percent from the floor over the course of his career. A car crash tragically ended his life in '93.

9. Terry Porter, Jazz
No. 24 -- First Round, 1985

Apologies to any of its alumni, but Wisconsin-Stevens Point sounds more like a rock formation than the type of basketball program that would produce one of the finest point guards of the last 25 years. A two-time All-Star, Porter played nearly 1,300 games for the Trail Blazers, Timberwolves, Heat and Spurs, missing the playoffs just once in his 17 seasons.

8. Michael Redd, Bucks
No. 43 -- Second Round, 2000

Hard to believe that this lanky, left-handed shooter with a Big Ten pedigree and Final Four appearance to his name could last until the 43rd pick in one of the worst drafts in recent memory. And yet, there Redd was, still on the board after names like Dalibor Bagaric, Erick Barkley and A.J. Guyton were called. A career 18 points-per-game scorer and a 40 percent shooter from 3-point range, Redd made his first All-Star appearance in '04, which promises to make for an intense bidding war for his services later this summer.

7. Jeff Hornacek, Suns
No. 46 -- Second Round, 1986

Barely recruited out of Illinois' Lyons Township high school, Hornacek parlayed a solid-if-unremarkable career as an Iowa State point guard into a more than remarkable turn as an NBA shooting guard. An All-Star in '92, Hornacek flourished playing off the ball, repeatedly cutting into the lane for an unending series of twisting finishes, while shooting 40 percent from behind the arc for his career.

6. Sarunas Marciulionis, Warriors
No. 127 -- Sixth Round, 1987

The mold for Manu Ginobili. Hamstrung by injuries and a dogged willingness to -- literally -- leave his body on the floor, Marciulionis played only 363 games in eight NBA seasons. But his athletic, hard-nosed style helped to quash the stereotype of the passive European role player. He is easily the greatest 128th pick in NBA history.

5. Joe Dumars, Pistons
No. 18 -- First Round, 1985

Taken out of tiny McNeese State, Dumars grew into a six-time All-Star and the 1989 Finals MVP. Not only did he provide Pistons coach Chuck Daly a steady locker room presence on a roster filled with guys who weren’t afraid to stir emotions, Dumars remained to tutor a far-less talented generation of Pistons on how to act and play like a professional. Considering that as the team’s GM since '00, Dumars has led Detroit back to the Finals twice, he is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Pistons -- not bad for the guy taken one pick after Uwe Blab.

4. Manu Ginobili, Spurs
No. 57 -- Second Round, 1999

Finding a future two-time NBA champion, a league All-Star and an Olympic gold medalist with the second-to-last pick in the draft should earn Spurs GM R.C. Buford Executive of the Decade honors. It's easy to forget that Buford also hoodwinked those noted overseas basketball experts, Don and Donn Nelson by agreeing to draft future high school flameout Leon Smith with the last pick in the first round in exchange for the pick used to acquire Ginobili.

3. Dennis Rodman, Pistons
No. 27 -- Second Round, 1986

Rodman used the template of his 6-foot-6, 220-pound frame to develop into the finest rebounder of his generation. A two-time Division II player of the year, Rodman quickly accepted his duties as a role player on a burgeoning Pistons team, contributing where he could while helping some of the game's greatest on the defensive end. By the time the dust settled, Rodman had won five rings, and exempt status from ever having to pay another cover charge.

2. Karl Malone, Jazz
No. 13 -- First Round, 1985

Talk about striking gold. Despite picking 16th and 13th, overall, in consecutive years, the Jazz somehow parlayed the selections into two of the finest players ever to play their positions. Malone was a diamond in the rough who was remains the standard for every project the NBA has ever drafted: a brilliant athlete who was never satisfied until he worked himself into the best basketball player he could be, which was good enough to be the league's third all-time leading scorer.

1. John Stockton, Jazz
No. 16 -- First Round, 1984

It wasn’t enough that the Jazz secured the rights to the NBA’s all-time leader in assists and steals with one draft pick, they had to rub our noses in it by taking him in the middle of the first round. It was a legendary heist. Stockton was a dogged competitor out of Gonzaga who couldn’t even pass muster with the '84 USA Olympic team, yet the Jazz liked Stockton enough to draft him despite having Rickey Green (an All-Star in '84) already holding the fort down at point guard.

spurschick
06-27-2005, 05:50 PM
4. Manu Ginobili, Spurs
No. 57 -- Second Round, 1999

Finding a future two-time NBA champion, a league All-Star and an Olympic gold medalist with the second-to-last pick in the draft should earn Spurs GM R.C. Buford Executive of the Decade honors. It's easy to forget that Buford also hoodwinked those noted overseas basketball experts, Don and Donn Nelson by agreeing to draft future high school flameout Leon Smith with the last pick in the first round in exchange for the pick used to acquire Ginobili.

F*@K YEAH!!! :elephant

Sense
06-27-2005, 05:51 PM
That category must make any spurs fan proud... Karl Malone, Dennis Rodman, and John Stockton....

Heh... I'm proud...

timvp
06-27-2005, 05:58 PM
It's easy to forget that Buford also hoodwinked those noted overseas basketball experts, Don and Donn Nelson by agreeing to draft future high school flameout Leon Smith with the last pick in the first round in exchange for the pick used to acquire Ginobili.

Actually, the Spurs used their own pick to draft Ginobili. They used the pick from the Mavs to draft Giricek.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Jesus... does anyone else remember how some morons actually said we should have kept Gordan Giricek and shipped off Manu.

LOL

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the Spurs also grabbed Giricek in that draft and he turned out to be a useful NBA player and starter. Too bad they couldn't have kept him, but they made the right choice when the decision was him or Ginobili.

So much for "Giricek > Ginobili"...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-27-2005, 06:06 PM
and manu is going into his fourth year. he'll be number 1 when its over.
if they have Malone and Stockton in that list, manu will never be #1, no matter how optimistic you like to be.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 06:08 PM
So much for "Giricek > Ginobili"...

Which I believe you promoted more than anyone on this board.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
eh?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Or was it Ghostwriter?

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Wasn't me.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I forget who was making that argument but whoever it was, they certainly were crowing during the 2002-03 season when Giricek was tearing it up, at least in scoring while Ginobili was coming off the bench. The 2003 playoffs put an end to that pretty quick...

danyel
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Sequ was making those threads "Giricek > Ginobili" "Worst SG in the league" etc

Solid D
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
GhostWriter. Although I think GW was more perturbed with for what the Spurs got for him (a 2nd rounder and cash).

Duff McCartney
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Actually, the Spurs used their own pick to draft Ginobili. They used the pick from the Mavs to draft Giricek.

My thoughts exactly.

whottt
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
It was either Sequ or GW that started Giricek>Ginobili.

I think both of them kinda felt that way but I think it was Sequ that started the thread.

I think GW was more pissed that we traded Giricek...he didn't necessarily say he was better than Manu.

Those weren't the only two that said those types of things though...

grjr
06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
2. Karl Malone, Jazz
No. 13 -- First Round, 1985

Talk about striking gold. Despite picking 16th and 13th, overall, in consecutive years, the Jazz somehow parlayed the selections into two of the finest players ever to play their positions. Malone was a diamond in the rough who was remains the standard for every project the NBA has ever drafted: a brilliant athlete who was never satisfied until he worked himself into the best basketball player he could be, which was good enough to be the league's third all-time leading scorer.

What a coin flip that was! Didn't the "Executive of the Year" pick Alfrederick the Great for us that year at #14? :lol

Things turned out for the best though. Sure we could have had Malone all those years but there never would have been a David or a Tim and probably no championships ever.

Look how many peoples' lives hinged on one flip of the coin. Amazing.

grjr
06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Another brilliant Portland find on a team filled with them (Clyde Drexler, 14th overall; Kevin Duckworth, 33rd overall and Petrovic),

What's the deal with Duckworth? How did Portland draft him yet he played his first year with the Spurs before ending up back in Portland? Anybody remember the details?

Horry For 3!
06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah, Manu was a damn good pick.

beck253
06-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Jesus... does anyone else remember how some morons actually said we should have kept Gordan Giricek and shipped off Manu.

LOL

lol, it's easy to talk now...

For example, one of those "morons" was Popovich, it was RC who convinced him to keep Manu initially

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
What's the deal with Duckworth? How did Portland draft him yet he played his first year with the Spurs before ending up back in Portland? Anybody remember the details?

actually, Duckworth was drafted by the Spurs in the 2nd round of 1986. Played here long enough (14 games) to be dealt to Portland for Walter "The Truth" Berry (who was dispatched once the immortal Dallas Comegys became available in New Jersey before the 88-89 season began).

ALVAREZ6
06-27-2005, 07:06 PM
if they have Malone and Stockton in that list, manu will never be #1, no matter how optimistic you like to be.
Well it depends, they were still taken in a fairly low #.

Manu was picked second to last pick in the NBA draft...No one even knew about the guy...

grjr
06-27-2005, 07:15 PM
actually, Duckworth was drafted by the Spurs in the 2nd round of 1986. Played here long enough (14 games) to be dealt to Portland for Walter "The Truth" Berry (who was dispatched once the immortal Dallas Comegys became available in New Jersey before the 88-89 season began).

I was thinking we were the ones who drafted Duckworth but I came across 2 sites on that year's draft that had Portland taking him at #33.

This was the first hit in Google:

http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadrafthistory/a/1986NBADraft.htm

Manu20
06-27-2005, 07:22 PM
When it is all set and done Manu will be the number one draft steal.

duncan_21
06-27-2005, 07:32 PM
no because

malone and stockton=0 championships
manu=2 in his 3rd year
rodman=5

so I guess you would say rodman would be #1 until manu wins six titles.

Hell by that logic kerr or horry should be number one or maybe john salley.

I always disagree that championships define a players greatness or place in history. Sorry I can't stand the championships = greatness in a player view. Not to say that it doesn't but IMO it doesn't.

smackdaddy11
06-27-2005, 09:38 PM
For example, one of those "morons" was Popovich, it was RC who convinced him to keep Manu initially

eh?

SilverPlayer
06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
this list is useless without people like Rashard Lewis.

Mr. Body
06-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Rashard Lewis made sure he was an afterthought with this year's playoffs.

Solid D
06-28-2005, 01:30 AM

In the 1986 NBA draft, the Spurs drafted Johnny Dawkins in the 1st round and Kevin Duckworth for their 2nd round selection.

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=SAS&lg=n&yr=1986

Solid D
06-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Here are some other draft day steals:

Maurice Cheeks 36th overall in 1978 draft
Rashard Lewis 32nd overall in 1998 draft
Gilbert Arenas 31st overall in 2001 draft

Here are some 1st rounders that are still steals by their respective teams:
John Havlicek 9th overall in the 1962 draft - 9th was the last pick in the 1st round back then. :lol
Amare Stoudamire 9th overall in the 2002 draft

and my favorite all-time steal:
Cornell Green 5th round pick of the Bulls in 1962 - stolen by the Dallas Cowboys. He didn't even know how to put on his football pads correctly but Tom Landry liked his speed, athleticism, and leaping ability. He became a 5-time NFL Pro Bowl selection at Cornerback.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-28-2005, 06:14 AM
no because

malone and stockton=0 championships
manu=2 in his 3rd year
rodman=5

so I guess you would say rodman would be #1 until manu wins six titles.
What the hell do championships have to do with anything??? Are you going to tell me Manu is better than Stockton ever was??? You, my friend, are out of your mind!

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Korver is off to a nice start and gets points for his innate ability to steal your girlfriend with his dreamy good looks

Oh Goodness, :rolleyes

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-28-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised that Parker didn't make the list. Last pick of the first round tranlating into one of the best point guards in the league sounds like a steal to me.

spur219
06-28-2005, 08:22 AM
I was reading another article and it had Tony Parker on their but not Manu.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I was reading another article and it had Tony Parker on their but not Manu.

The one on MSN, right? I saw that right before I came here and I was going to put it up, until I saw this thread. I was really scratching my head at that one.