PDA

View Full Version : Kobe/power ranking article (Espn)

mrjap2x
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Can someone post the summary of this article: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8595253/nba-kobe-bryant-joakim-noah-overrated-defenders. Also if possible the hollinger power rankings too

Shifty
11-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Hollinger (team) Rankings are not insider but they are not posted until a few week into the season when there is more data to process.

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2012, 01:18 PM
lol power rankings

some of you clowns get all cold chicken when spurs are winning are not mention in the media, whatever happen to stayin under the radar?

Darkwaters
11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
lol power rankings

some of you clowns get all cold chicken when spurs are winning are not mention in the media, whatever happen to stayin under the radar?

It is kind of funny how people get upset when we fly under the radar. It happens every season and people still act like it's an outrage and a surprise.

Man In Black
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't mind when the Spurs are flyimg under the radar, I just hate it when Large Market media does Selective mutism. They dont talk about Silver & Black exceot BEGRUDGINGLY.

Vic Petro
11-06-2012, 05:52 PM
This is the only part related to the Spurs:

Sometimes, everyone can agree about a player's defensive prowess.
Take, for instance, Bruce Bowen (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/83/bruce-bowen), the Spurs' former perimeter stopper extraordinaire. The media long praised Bowen's ability to lock down opposing scorers, and NBA head coaches voted him to the league's All-Defensive Team eight times. Also, the numbers backed up Bowen's skills; in 2003-04, adjusted plus/minus data estimates that Bowen alone decreased opponents' offensive efficiency by 2.6 points per 100 possessions, and in 2006-07 the Spurs' defense was a staggering 9.6 points better per 100 possessions with Bowen on the floor. In Bowen's case, data confirmed what the eye test initially led us to believe.
Unfortunately, however, that's not always the case. Every now and then, a player with the raw physical tools to be an expert defender simply doesn't translate that talent into tangible on-court results. Now, I'm not going to pretend current defensive metrics are perfect measures of ability at that end -- it's still difficult to reliably separate a player's performance from the effects of coaching and/or his teammates -- but if a player has a good defensive reputation, you'd expect it to at least show up somewhere in the adjusted plus/minus or counterpart defense statistics.
With that in mind, here are five players whose advanced defensive statistics don't match their reputations as elite defenders.

Article goes on to say Kobe, Joakim Noah, Rondo, Tayshaun Prince, and Afflalo are overrated and not above-average defender.

spurraider21
11-06-2012, 06:41 PM
i can see kobe, noah, and afflalo making that list, but Rondo and Prince sure pass the eye test as defenders. especially rondo

jesterbobman
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
i can see kobe, noah, and afflalo making that list, but Rondo and Prince sure pass the eye test as defenders. especially rondo

The article basically looks at guys who have reputations as good defenders, but the actual data, whether on court team performance, counterpart efficiency/PER or +/- stats indicate it's not true, even if it once was. The eye test gets dominated by data.

8FOR!3
11-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Tayshaun Prince? Maybe now, he's years past his prime...