PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Are they for real?

Lincoln
11-06-2012, 04:44 PM
The offense looks very good and Darren/Mayo is a lethal backcourt. Wright has played great so far and is a candidate for MIP imho. Kaman is looking good too especially his jumpshot. Crowder should get more minutes with Marion out a few games and he has been a stud in limited play time. I think they're leading the west in point differential too and averaging like 115 a game.

Biggest weakness is defensive rebounding and paint defense. They got raped by Portland 22-2 on the offensive boards but I guess when you shoot 60%+ in consecutive games, there aren't many opportunities :lol

ElNono
11-06-2012, 04:48 PM
:cry nobody believed in them :cry

Clipper Nation
11-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Tbh, like the Clippers, injuries to starters make it tough to tell... we'll see when Dirk and Marion are healthy....

Lincoln
11-06-2012, 04:53 PM
:cry nobody believed in them :cry

I predicted before the season that if everything clicks, they are a top 4 seed and a WCF finalist based on how the pieces fit together. Collison does SO much for this team with his drives it's unreal.

And I called that OJ would be a 20 ppg scorer so we will see.

LkrFan
11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Fuck N:lol

/BS thread

Lincoln
11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Fuck N:lol

/BS thread

Only win against a shit ass pistons team :lol

Findog
11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Their floor is barely missing the playoffs as a 9 seed, and their ceiling is winning a series and losing to either the Lakers, Spurs or SloppySeconds.

Kai
11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
They have a very real 2nd round ceiling.

monosylab1k
11-06-2012, 05:13 PM
The rebounding is a real problem because they won't shoot this well all year. But Dirk coming back should make up for the rest of the guys cooling off a little. I said before the season this could be a top 5 team in the West.

LkrFan
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Only win against a shit ass pistons team :lol
:lol

monosylab1k
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
tbh I'd say WCF is their ceiling depending on the matchups. They have no shot in a series against a Lakers team playing to their potential. OKC sans Harden is beatable though still not likely, and I absolutely believe they'd take the Spurs or Clippers to a game 7.

pass1st
11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
They are looking good, if Dirk gets back into form then who knows.

Raven
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
7th in the west at most.

stretch
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Biggest weakness is defensive rebounding and paint defense. They got raped by Portland 22-2 on the offensive boards but I guess when you shoot 60%+ in consecutive games, there aren't many opportunities :lol

Defensive rebounding has definitely been an issue so far. Getting Dirk back should help some, but they gotta work at that for sure.

I don't see the paint defense being that much of an issue. It seems to me more like teams get paint buckets off of second chance putbacks and junk like that. But personally, I really liked what I have seen from it, as they do a great job of contesting and crowding paint shots. The length and athletic ability of both Brand and Wright has seemed to really bother guards when they come slicing through the lane in a half court set. They can both contest the shot, but also are long and quick enough to make passes much more difficult.

Findog
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Collison and Mayo have looked real good so far. I wonder if they can sustain that or if we'll see some regression to the mean. One would think when Dirk comes back the floor will open up for them even more. When is Dirk's return? Mid-December? I think they're on target to be around .500 until he gets back. The main thing was not to bury themselves in an early hole.

I think their ceiling in the playoffs also depends on how good Dirk is when he comes back. If he comes back and plays at the same level he did in 2011, their ceiling is the WCF and maybe even a Finals appearance depending on who they draw in the WCF. Still can't see them beating Miami in a seven-game series.

If Dirk is not much better than he was last year, I don't see them getting out of the first round.

FYM
11-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Mayo is capable of awesome stretches but he always fades like a rose without water

stretch
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
If he comes back and plays at the same level he did in 2011, their ceiling is the WCF and maybe even a Finals appearance depending on who they draw in the WCF. Still can't see them beating Miami in a seven-game series.

If they went that far somehow, there is one person that can give us legitimate hope. Rick Carlisle.

Probably the best coach in the NBA right now, while Spolestra is one of the very worst still.

Lincoln
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Mavs have the easiest schedule through thanksgiving so i think they're more than capable of being above .500

Dex
11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
1st round exit TBH

HeatChamps
11-06-2012, 08:13 PM
1st round exit TBH
QFT

monosylab1k
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
QFT

sup lakaluva

Latarian Milton
11-06-2012, 08:54 PM
lakers & spurs would be the the easiest matchups for them mavs imho, knowing the lakers have never overcome dallas in the postseason since the dirk era began, while the spurs never had the edge against dallas since the beginning of time

HeatChamps
11-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you kidding? The spurs would tap that ass. Yeah the Lakers do suck. Thus why they won't be playing the mavs in first round. ;)

RudyRay
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
tbh I'd say WCF is their ceiling depending on the matchups. They have no shot in a series against a Lakers team playing to their potential. OKC sans Harden is beatable though still not likely, and I absolutely believe they'd take the Spurs or Clippers to a game 7.

A completely unproven team that has only played a couple of games together and you're absolutley sure they'd beat the Spurs? LOL :lol
They will be just above .500 come season end...

Latarian Milton
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Are you kidding? The spurs would tap that ass. Yeah the Lakers do suck. Thus why they won't be playing the mavs in first round. ;)
bro im not saying they would be easier to cope with than the likes of memphis, denver or shits alike. Spurs & lakers might finish higher in da regular season but the mavs will know how to beat them, clippers and OKC would be tougher challenges because the current mavs will struggle against monkeyball w/o a quality big covering the paint for them

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 09:28 PM
lakers & spurs would be the the easiest matchups for them mavs imho, knowing the lakers have never overcome dallas in the postseason since the dirk era began, while the spurs never had the edge against dallas since the beginning of time

You are an idiot.. Spurs won the last playoff matchup they had with Dallas have HC, Lakers lost one series to them so now they are the easier matchup? Different teams since the last matchup mind YOU ON BOTH SIDES of the ball. I still laugh at this stupid post, your rival is always the hardest to out and LA will be a VERY TOUGH out. These are two of the toughest matchups they can face.

BTW the Spurs in the earlier and mid 00's used to whip them up with ease alot of times, later on it got more even and Dallas won a series or two but the Spurs won the last one against them! What do you mean never had an edge? What history you basing that on there BRO? You are wrong.

DPG21920
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I said as they put their team together that I thought they had a pretty high upside all things considered. I actually have them ranked in the lower half of the playoff bracket due to other teams and the risks involved, but they certainly have a high ceiling if things go well.

Latarian Milton
11-06-2012, 09:46 PM
You are an idiot.. Spurs won the last playoff matchup they had with Dallas have HC, Lakers lost one series to them so now they are the easier matchup? Different teams since the last matchup mind YOU ON BOTH SIDES of the ball. I still laugh at this stupid post, your rival is always the hardest to out and LA will be a VERY TOUGH out. These are two of the toughest matchups they can face.

BTW the Spurs in the earlier and mid 00's used to whip them up with ease alot of times, later on it got more even and Dallas won a series or two but the Spurs won the last one against them! What do you mean never had an edge? What history you basing that on there BRO? You are wrong.
just because i write them spurs off it doesn't mean im an idiot tbh. spurs will probably achieve the 3-peat in the regular season but when it comes to the playoffs they're gonna struggle due to their lack of strength at the low post, and they can't play monkeyball to offset it like Miami/OKC do.

mavs on the other hand have some decent bigs on their squad who will do a hell of dirty works for them, combined with guys who can both shoot and slice. you need to go nasty when the playoffs began and your gonna need some more weight & muscle on the court to get the job done imho

irishock
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
OKC- This is now a good matchup for the Mavs. They improved the backcourt drastically this offseason with some actual speed that can rival Westbrook and co. OKC doesn't have a go-to big man and that works in the Mavs favor.

LA- Worst match-up scenario for the Mavs. Pray for LA and OKC to meet in the 2nd round and SA claims 1st seed.

SA- Excellent match up for the Mavs who have always had the Spurs number.

LAC- Rebounding may be a problem for the Mavs in this possible 1st round match-up. Memphis would be the easier team.

Seedings have to be heavily in the Mavs favor for them to have a chance at seeing the Heat in a rerematch.

stretch
11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
A completely unproven team that has only played a couple of games together and you're absolutley sure they'd beat the Spurs? LOL :lol
They will be just above .500 come season end...

apparently reading isnt one of new gnsfs strong suits

there is a difference between saying they would take them 7, and beat the spurs

however, im not sure what makes you so confident in the spurs considering they haven't done crap for 5 years now

stretch
11-06-2012, 10:08 PM

lol rogued

RudyRay
11-06-2012, 10:13 PM
apparently reading isnt one of new gnsfs strong suits

there is a difference between saying they would take them 7, and beat the spurs

however, im not sure what makes you so confident in the spurs considering they haven't done crap for 5 years now

The fact that they were 2 games away from the Finals, and brought back the same team. The team that beat them is now weaker than they were last year. They will be a factor AGAIN. As for Dallas...it's a completely rebuilt team (besides Dirk and Marion) and you suddenly feel they could even make it to the WCF? LOL Not a chance...

DPG21920
11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Getting the number one seed, and having a 2-0 lead in the WCF is "crap"? Interesting...

stretch
11-06-2012, 10:46 PM
The fact that they were 2 games away from the Finals, and brought back the same team. The team that beat them is now weaker than they were last year. They will be a factor AGAIN. As for Dallas...it's a completely rebuilt team (besides Dirk and Marion) and you suddenly feel they could even make it to the WCF? LOL Not a chance...

lol age

Anyways, I don't think its very uncommon for a team to undergo some major roster and style changes, and have a high level of success the following season, at least not as impossible as you suggest. Look at the Mavs from 03-04 to 04-05. Look at the Suns of the same years. Both teams underwent a lot of changes, and had a lot of success immediately. Suns went to the WCF, and the Mavs were very close to actually beating the Suns and going to the WCF. The Lakers in 07-08 had a major roster change in the middle of the season when they got Gasol, and went from being 1st round fodder, to being in the Finals. Technically, you could even put the 2010 Heat in that discussion too.

It's one thing to feel that way about a team with a ton of extremely young, immature NBA players. But this is a team that has gained a number of young but developed, proven NBA players who all still strive to reach a high level of team success, who are complimenting several veteran players who have experience plenty of success. So what makes it so incredibly impossible for such a team to win a couple playoff series, especially if they get favorable match-ups?

stretch
11-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Getting the number one seed, and having a 2-0 lead in the WCF is "crap"? Interesting...

lol spurs fan bragging about #1 seed after annually preaching that "regular season doesnt mean shit!!!"

lol bragging about a 2-0 lead that was choked away

They accomplished just as much as the 2010 Suns did. How significant were the 2010 Suns accomplishments?

monosylab1k
11-06-2012, 10:52 PM

So having a 2-0 lead in the 06 Finals and getting the number 1 seed in 07 wasn't crap?

rofl Spurs fans are so desperate now they'll accept Mav level success and take it.

RudyRay
11-06-2012, 11:04 PM
lol age

Anyways, I don't think its very uncommon for a team to undergo some major roster and style changes, and have a high level of success the following season, at least not as impossible as you suggest. Look at the Mavs from 03-04 to 04-05. Look at the Suns of the same years. Both teams underwent a lot of changes, and had a lot of success immediately. Suns went to the WCF, and the Mavs were very close to actually beating the Suns and going to the WCF. The Lakers in 07-08 had a major roster change in the middle of the season when they got Gasol, and went from being 1st round fodder, to being in the Finals. Technically, you could even put the 2010 Heat in that discussion too.

It's one thing to feel that way about a team with a ton of extremely young, immature NBA players. But this is a team that has gained a number of young but developed, proven NBA players who all still strive to reach a high level of team success, who are complimenting several veteran players who have experience plenty of success. So what makes it so incredibly impossible for such a team to win a couple playoff series, especially if they get favorable match-ups?

I just feel like only 3 teams are legit contenders in the West (OKC, SA, and Lakers). I'm not hateing on the Mavs just don't think that this team they pieced together this offseason will make any noise. OJ Mayo, Collison, and Kaman just aren't guys I see making a difference in the Playoffs.

I'm not saying the Spurs are the best in the West, but they are good enough to make it out of the WCF.

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:09 PM
OKC- This is now a good matchup for the Mavs. They improved the backcourt drastically this offseason with some actual speed that can rival Westbrook and co. OKC doesn't have a go-to big man and that works in the Mavs favor.

LA- Worst match-up scenario for the Mavs. Pray for LA and OKC to meet in the 2nd round and SA claims 1st seed.

SA- Excellent match up for the Mavs who have always had the Spurs number.

LAC- Rebounding may be a problem for the Mavs in this possible 1st round match-up. Memphis would be the easier team.

Seedings have to be heavily in the Mavs favor for them to have a chance at seeing the Heat in a rerematch.Where the f do you idiots get that they have always have the Spurs number? What planet are you living on? The last playoffs the Spurs won in which they met, 7th seed against 2 seed, how the hell is that having the Spurs number? LOL always had their number, the fact that Spurs have a 3-2 edge in the playoffs and have a better regular season record as well makes me wonder where you are getting this from? What basis?

racm
11-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Can't recall any team that has the Spurs' number this year, tbh...

Memphis? They'll stubbornly let Rudy Gay chuck into oblivion
OKC? They lost their best playmaker
Lakers? They still suck on the perimeter on defense
Dallas? What happens when Mayo shoots 1-15?

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Dallas? What happens when Mayo shoots 1-15?Mavs don't have their number, don't know what that dude was speaking on by any means, like I said the Spurs stole the last playoff series from them as the 7th seed. They are rivals, they always are a tough out no matter which team you are pulling for. Spurs have a good shot vs anyone out West, and yes that includes the Mavs.
just because i write them spurs off it doesn't mean im an idiot tbh. spurs will probably achieve the 3-peat in the regular season but when it comes to the playoffs they're gonna struggle due to their lack of strength at the low post, and they can't play monkeyball to offset it like Miami/OKC do.

mavs on the other hand have some decent bigs on their squad who will do a hell of dirty works for them, combined with guys who can both shoot and slice. you need to go nasty when the playoffs began and your gonna need some more weight & muscle on the court to get the job done imho

Mavs were out in round one last year bro. BTW when did these Mavs become seasoned vets in the playoffs? Terry is not there, Most of that team that won it is not there. You off three games or so are basing it on what? I agree on the low post thing as they need another big, but Tim is better than any post big they have, easily. I see your opinion now, but you said they have never had an edge over the Mavs since the beginning of TIME, which is far from true. They have had the edge quite a few times (Last year if they met Spurs would have won too), recently in 010. Those were different teams though, the Spurs have a deep ass team as well and they are a year under their belts.

DPG21920
11-06-2012, 11:33 PM
So having a 2-0 lead in the 06 Finals and getting the number 1 seed in 07 wasn't crap?

rofl Spurs fans are so desperate now they'll accept Mav level success and take it.

lol Mono & Stretch forgetting who they are dealing with.

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I just feel like only 3 teams are legit contenders in the West (OKC, SA, and Lakers). I'm not hateing on the Mavs just don't think that this team they pieced together this offseason will make any noise. OJ Mayo, Collison, and Kaman just aren't guys I see making a difference in the Playoffs.

I'm not saying the Spurs are the best in the West, but they are good enough to make it out of the WCF.

Being a contender to come out of the west, and a team capable of making it to the WCF are two different things. I think most people were saying they are capable of making the WCF (at best), but unlikely to win it.

Don't get so butthurt so easily.

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I am still waiting for the two who said the Mavs always have the Spurs number to answer me how they do? 16-13 since Dirk came there playoffs, better regular season record, won the last playoff matchup as the 7th seed, better team last year... Different teams now anyways that all means crap now, Mavs are a whole new team and Spurs have new guys as well on the squad, the past means nothing now in this grand scheme of things. I still think the Spurs are a better team this year, thats just me.
Being a contender to come out of the west, and a team capable of making it to the WCF are two different things. I think most people were saying they are capable of making the WCF (at best), but unlikely to win it.

I agree with you, this is a true post. Ceiling is probably that, best case. Nobody is sayin they will. I think the Mavs will be a good team this year, not a elite team nor a title contender in the end but definitely a playoff team and will probably win a round IMO.

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Dallas? What happens when Mayo shoots 1-15?

Spurs? They will choke playoff series they are expected to win due to having an overachieving regular season where they play great offense but mediocre defense.

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Spurs? They will choke playoff series they are expected to win due to having an overachieving regular season where they play great offense but mediocre defense.

They got far last year though, the Mavs out in round one after giving up on the title team they had! They might be out in round one again bro.

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I am still waiting for the two who said the Mavs always have the Spurs number to answer me how they do? 16-13 since Dirk came there playoffs, better regular season record, won the last playoff matchup as the 7th seed, better team last year... Different teams now anyways that all means crap now, Mavs are a whole new team and Spurs have new guys as well on the squad, the past means nothing now in this grand scheme of things. I still think the Spurs are a better team this year, thats just me.

lol rogued

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:41 PM
They got far last year though, the Mavs out in round one after giving up on the title team they had! They might be out in round one again bro.

No one expected the Mavs to do much last year.

Spurs fans expected the Spurs to beat the Heat. rofl

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:42 PM
lol Mono & Stretch forgetting who they are dealing with.

cool story, bro

why dont you go argue with m>s some more over some pointless crap to make yourself feel like more of a man?

HeatChamps
11-06-2012, 11:43 PM
http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/11/6/89d5c026-1949-443c-8f78-20e26b2aae37.jpg

DPG21920
11-06-2012, 11:45 PM
cool story, bro

why dont you go argue with m>s some more over some pointless crap to make yourself feel like more of a man?

:lol Stretch is back

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Spurs fans expected the Spurs to beat the Heat. roflSpurs were not near slated to go to the WCF last year, infact many had them a middle to lower seed at the beginning of the season. Spurs were not supposed to win 50 games and get within two wins of the FINALS! Tell men anyone who thought they would? They were supposed to be done after Memphis and fall off bad, then had a hell of a run.

phyzik
11-06-2012, 11:47 PM
So, by this logic, where do the Spurs rank with a 4-0 record?

Its all fools gold right now... way to early in the season.

Going by the OP Spurs are world beaters right now and I doubt anyone down here would ever admit to that. Neither would I.

Sean Cagney
11-06-2012, 11:47 PM
lol rogued

LOL all I said was true, funny this is all you can say to refute it. You have no real comeback....... Just call yourself OWNED.

RudyRay
11-06-2012, 11:53 PM

Most people think Dallas is capable of making it to the WCF? Maybe most of the people in Dallas! Butthurt? Nah...

Dallas will be lucky to win a series.

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:56 PM
LOL all I said was true, funny this is all you can say to refute it. You have no real comeback....... Just call yourself OWNED.

rofl

this guy

stretch
11-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Most people think Dallas is capable of making it to the WCF? Maybe most of the people in Dallas!

Really? Where do you get this from?

Sean Cagney
11-07-2012, 12:13 AM
rofl

this guy

I will respond with dumb shit now too, blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... One ring, blah.

ElNono
11-07-2012, 01:23 AM
personally, I thought they would struggle without Dirk... But Brand has always been somewhat underrated.

Malik Hairston
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Their offense was never in doubt, tbh, even without Dirk..they are deep and they have an abundance of players that can get hot..

Their defense and rebounding will be the concern in the playoffs..Kaman doesn't play defense, nor rebound, and Dirk is old and has physical issues, he may not be able to contribute in ways outside of scoring, tbh..

Pelicans78
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Actually Harlem, Kaman is solid at defense and rebounding. The problem with his is offensively where he's horrendous with his shot selection and turnovers. He really kills a team's offense.

Sportstudi
11-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Where the f do you idiots get that they have always have the Spurs number? What planet are you living on? The last playoffs the Spurs won in which they met, 7th seed against 2 seed, how the hell is that having the Spurs number? LOL always had their number, the fact that Spurs have a 3-2 edge in the playoffs and have a better regular season record as well makes me wonder where you are getting this from? What basis?

Concerning your example I don't think that this one should be highlighted just because of the fact that it was 7th seed vs. 2nd seed. I recall many Spurs fans on this board saying before that series that this is wide open and could go either way. There Spurs weren't a typical 7th seed by any means that season, they could have been easily the 4th seed or even higher. Same for the the Mavs back then, they could have been 4th seed or lower easily as well instead of being 2nd.

DMC
11-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Mayo is capable of awesome stretches but he always fades like a rose without an ACL

fixed

Latarian Milton
11-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Their offense was never in doubt, tbh, even without Dirk..they are deep and they have an abundance of players that can get hot..

Their defense and rebounding will be the concern in the playoffs..Kaman doesn't play defense, nor rebound, and Dirk is old and has physical issues, he may not be able to contribute in ways outside of scoring, tbh..
u ain't talkin of dolleac or piece of shit like scalabrine right? kaman plays solid D and rebounds well which's the reason he earns 10+ million a year. and i don't think he should be blamed for his team's offense going stagnant, at least he'll have a better clue then TC did as to how to pass the ball imho. plus kaman has the ability to go one-on-one at the low post, which will be a good addition to their offensive strategy, if not a regular choice. TC's scores came mainly from alley-oops and offensive rebounds, while doing little in the teams offensive tactics outside of acting like a wall.

the team will finish between 6th and possibly up to 2nd in the west depending on kaman's fitness. if he gains some of his 05-06 form back, where he could grab 10+ rebounds per game with ease, dallas would be a scary tbh

Reck
11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
No

Samuel Eto'o
11-09-2012, 10:17 PM
No

Where's my excuse? And what is my excuse? I'm not making an excuse. You're 100% wrong, buddy. Would I have rather Harden stayed? YES. Am I angry or upset that he didn't? NO. I concede that I don't know everything about running an NBA franchise. I concede that Presti was in a position and did what he thought was best. I also understand that James Harden possibly made the best long-term decision for himself. There's no excuses or anger. Just a simple failure for me to fully understand why Harden seemingly had such a big issue with the 1 hour deadline, given all I've said. I don't think Harden knew what he wanted. Ive said for months to my fellow fans that I felt perhaps he wanted to leave and be the big dog somewhere, out of KD and RW's shadow - understandable. Maybe his indecision and inability to be able to accept in 1 hour was indeed a blessing in disguise for him. When push comes to shove and you can't jump at the decision to stay in OKC for what amounted to $2M off the max per year, maybe that's the sign that you want out - again, understandable given his talent and what he could do as a franchise player.

BUMP
11-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Making it to the WCF doesn't always mean you're a contender. Kind of like when the Jazz made it that far in 07 and everyone knew SA was gonna pull their pants down

Reck
11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Double no.

Losing to the Bobcats. :lol

HeatChamps
11-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I think tonight gave us an answer. lol Darren Collison.

monosylab1k
11-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I think tonight gave us an answer. lol Darren Collison.

lol lakaluva
lol naruto

Sean Cagney
11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Concerning your example I don't think that this one should be highlighted just because of the fact that it was 7th seed vs. 2nd seed. I recall many Spurs fans on this board saying before that series that this is wide open and could go either way. There Spurs weren't a typical 7th seed by any means that season, they could have been easily the 4th seed or even higher. Same for the the Mavs back then, they could have been 4th seed or lower easily as well instead of being 2nd.

I agree with you there fully! I was getting at someone on here saying the Mavs always have had the Spurs number, which is not true. The rivalry goes back and forth and has for years.
Making it to the WCF doesn't always mean you're a contender. Kind of like when the Jazz made it that far in 07 and everyone knew SA was gonna pull their pants down

You are right there, but the Spurs last year were actually favored by some to win it all and favored over the OCK Thunder! Many thought they had a shot to win that series and go to the finals.

BUMP
11-11-2012, 10:39 PM
You are right there, but the Spurs last year were actually favored by some to win it all and favored over the OCK Thunder! Many thought they had a shot to win that series and go to the finals.

I'm not talking about San Antonio I'm talking about Dallas this year. Some of us saying that Dallas would make it to the WCF doesn't necessarily mean we think that they're contenders.

DMC
11-12-2012, 12:01 AM

This. I wish people would stop calling every playoff team a contender. Then they qualify it later by saying "true contender" when it narrows past that "contender" who was bounced in the 1st round.

Sean Cagney
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm not talking about San Antonio I'm talking about Dallas this year. Some of us saying that Dallas would make it to the WCF doesn't necessarily mean we think that they're contenders.

Well in that case you are correct.

thunderup
11-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Dirk needs to come back and be himself. Until then, we won't know whether they're for real or whatever.

RudyRay
11-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Spurs fans expected the Spurs to beat the Heat. rofl
:lol No one expected the Mavs to do much last year (Defending Champs at the time)

:lol Are the Mavs for real? 4-4

stretch
11-13-2012, 10:02 AM
:lol No one expected the Mavs to do much last year (Defending Champs at the time)

:lol Are the Mavs for real? 4-4

Considering they were expected by everyone to be like 1-7 at this point, and have been competitive in every game they have lost while beating quality opponents like Portland and LA with games missed by 5 major rotation players (Kaman, Dirk, Marion, Beaubois, Brand), 4-4 is nothing to be too ashamed about. If anything, it's agitating because they could easily be 6-2 or 7-1, even without their top 2 players in Dirk and Marion. The Utah game is the only one they flat out got beaten in, and that was the result of a complete 3rd quarter meltdown.

I don't think anyone is saying the Mavs are a title team. Just that they are a team that you cannot sleep on, or they can make you pay, and can have a solid playoff run, considering so many people don't expect them to make the playoffs (which is retarded to begin with)

Findog
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Saw an article on SI today that says Dirk's injury rehab is taking longer than expected and he may not be back until January. Ugh...they gotta be around .500 till he gets back. Even that might not be enough given how deep the West is.

TheRealCB
11-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Then say fuck it and tank,although I think that's not what Dirk meant.He just thought he could beat the 3-6 weeks time frame but it seems he can't.

HeatChamps
11-15-2012, 12:49 PM
lol almost losing to the Wizards. How much suck is in this team? haha

Raven
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Then say fuck it and tank,although I think that's not what Dirk meant.He just thought he could beat the 3-6 weeks time frame but it seems he can't.

you should have thought this way ever since dallas fell in the Deron conquest..

dirk4mvp
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I doubt if the Mavs want to tank and base their future around that nappy headed jig from Kentucky.

HeatChamps
11-17-2012, 02:03 AM
They fucking suck. I doubt Dirk can save this group.

Stalin
11-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Dirk is full TOSB, and there is no coming back from that. Mavs are 1st round fodder. Nazi Dirk will come back, for sure, but to only give mavfan false hope in order to increase ticket and merchandise sales, IMO TBH.

:lol deluded mavfan
:lol fluke championship
:lol dirk living of fluke championship glory

racm
11-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Dirk should pull off a 1996 DRob tbh or should I say Nelson/Carlisle pulling off a 1996 Pop

Brazil
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
May I suggest no ?

mavs>spurs
11-27-2012, 10:07 PM
lol chink boy overly optimistic and leaving chat

HeatChamps
11-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Omg another loss?

D12
11-28-2012, 04:04 AM
:lol:lol Mavs

koriwhat
11-28-2012, 04:06 AM
Nazi Dirk

better watch out, back in like '05 or so i got banned for calling Dirk the same. lol

D12
11-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Just thought of something: mavs are relying on a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's. :lmao

:lol:lol fluke championship
:lol:lol Mav fans in here trying to make excuses for their sorry ass team when it's their owner's inability to reel in real talent that did them in
:lol:lol Losing out on the D-Will and D12 sweepstakes

midnightpulp
11-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Just thought of something: mavs are relying on a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's. :lmao

:lol:lol Mav fans in here trying to make excuses for their sorry ass team when it's their owner's inability to reel in real talent that did them in

Sup, 21_Blessings.

D12
11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
:lol:lol getting blown out by the gangbanger-less Chicago Bulls

racm
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Shouldn't have shipped out all their first round picks, tbh

FYM
11-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Mavs are becoming slowly but surely one of the worst team in the league

Findog
11-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I don't think they're gonna be that good even when Dirk comes back, even the 2011 version of Dirk, if that's something that even still exists. Probably better to tank for a lottery pick, resign Mayo and use the rest of the cap space to get another All Star. The ceiling for this team when Dirk comes back is a 7 or 8 seed and a quick first-round exit. And Dirk's return doesn't at all guarantee a playoff appearance, not with how deep the West is.

HeatChamps
11-29-2012, 02:11 AM
better watch out, back in like '05 or so i got banned for calling Dirk the same. lol
Who Dirk supports is none of our business anyways. ;) He can support Hitler if he wants.

Raven
11-29-2012, 06:02 AM
I predicted before the season that if everything clicks, they are a top 4 seed and a WCF finalist based on how the pieces fit together. Collison does SO much for this team with his drives it's unreal.

And I called that OJ would be a 20 ppg scorer so we will see.

:tu

Ghazi
11-29-2012, 07:51 AM
We're just not very good anymore... but it's okay, we got the championship.

I'm predicting less than 40 wins this year.. and was thinking 40-45 the start of the year.

Latarian Milton
11-29-2012, 09:05 AM
gonna be a huge upset if the mavs miss the playoffs somehow tbh. the team hasn't been playing too bad even w/o dirk and they will have an easier schedule come the second half of season, where they'll be going on a winning spree with dirk back

koriwhat
11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
dude, but the mavs got fisher!