PDA

View Full Version : Boys' Baseball Team Benched for Being Good

spurs_2108
06-27-2005, 06:02 PM
A baseball team of 11- and 12-year-olds kicked out of a league in this Columbus suburb is fielding offers from all over to play.

The Columbus Stars were removed from their league last month because they were too good. In some of their last games, the Stars beat the Red Sox 18-0, World Harvest 13-0, Sugar Grove II 24-0 and Sugar Grove I 10-2.

Other teams began complaining — and canceling.

Michael Mirones, board chairman for the Canal Winchester Joint Recreation District, pulled the Stars from the league and returned their $150 entry fee. He suggested the Stars play in a travel league against better teams.

Now the Stars have received offers from teams all over central Ohio and in other states.

Clay Branch, a parent in a youth league in Atlanta, said he offered to arrange for the team to play in Georgia.

"I'd never heard of anything like that, and it blew my mind," he said. "I wish we were closer."

The Stars already have a couple of games coming up against teams in central Ohio. They also plan on playing in two tournaments next month.

Georgian Heights, a team from the Columbus area, defeated the Stars 5-4 last week to give them their first loss this season. The Stars had defeated Georgian Heights in two earlier meetings this year.

Stars pitcher Josh Dameron, 12, said the team learned from the loss.

"The mood of our team is the same," he said. "We don't care about the loss. The next time we play them, we hope we win."

They seem like a pretty good team, but there is no reason for them to be kicked out of the league or asked to leave. What ever it is. Maybe they could ask them at the end of the season to try and find some better competition and play there. But not kick em out.

gophergeorge
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Ya know, sometimes its good to get your ass kicked.

You tend to remember the taste of blood as it drips off your lip.

Salty, yes, but it doesn't taste good.

Next time, you tell yourself, I'll be better prepared.

And maybe, just maybe, we'll get them.

Case in point... and bear with me...

Junior year in High School... we got beat by a team by 40 points....

Next year.... beat them by two....

Rise to the level of your opponent, or stay off the field!

ObiwanGinobili
06-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Thats fucking pathetic.
i'm sick of this "everyone is a winner" attitude.
It's a game. there will be a winner . there will be a loser.
don;t kill yourself over it. its a GAME.

jalbre6
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't get this. A local team (Georgia Heights) beat them and they were still booted out of the league for being too good?

How about extra practice instead?

Clandestino
06-27-2005, 07:06 PM
the new kids now... everything has to be sugar coated...

mookie2001
06-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Sugar Grove II 24-0 and Sugar Grove I 10-2

DAM the powerhouse than is SG??

Dre_7
06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
24-0!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Damn!

TheTruth
06-30-2005, 06:38 AM
My little brother played for the S.A. Stars baseball team in the Alamo Heights Pony League when he was 13, and they would have teams forfeit games all the time because they were too good. But they weren't kicked out of the league.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 08:03 AM
they had to make sure McClendon and Aiden and Avery etc etc had fun times playing their precious game and werent ruined by a bunch of real players

SpursWoman
06-30-2005, 08:10 AM
That's absolutely ridiculous....maybe they should look into getting better COACHES in that league.

One positive though, those boys are getting better competition. :fro

Flea
06-30-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure how it works in baseball but in soccer(my girls play) you have different levels of play. A team who is constantly scoring high and beating the rest of their opponents wihout any competition should be playing at a higher level. The team will move up at the end of the season but I have never heard of one being kicked out of a league.

mookie2001
06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
P- McClendon O'Reilly
1B- Reagan Scarborough
2B- Aiden Smith
SS- Braden Whitehouse
3B- Braden Smith
LF- Colt McCoy Jr.
RF- Braden Hannity
CF- Slade Bludau

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 12:33 PM
you forgot pinch runner Landon McClendon

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Ya know, sometimes its good to get your ass kicked.

You tend to remember the taste of blood as it drips off your lip.

Salty, yes, but it doesn't taste good.

Next time, you tell yourself, I'll be better prepared.

And maybe, just maybe, we'll get them.

Case in point... and bear with me...

Junior year in High School... we got beat by a team by 40 points....

Next year.... beat them by two....

Rise to the level of your opponent, or stay off the field!

True dat.

My freshman year in basketball a team beat us 60-19.

By the time we were juniors our same group of guys was beating this school's same group every time we met. We never blew them out of the gym, but we never forgot that whooping they gave us.

That league is teaching all those kids a horrible lesson.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
i went to my 6 year old cousins little league t-ball all-star games and they have a rule of no more than 6 runs per inning and the final score was like 36-11
lol