PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Gives Fan the Middle Finger

BatManu20
11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
http://deadspin.com/5958586/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Looks like even Timmy has his moments. After seeing a fan recording him at a gas station, he decided to flip em the bird (13 second mark). That's a HOF middle finger. We could only be so lucky to receive one ourselves.

"But can we talk about that bird? (At the 13-second mark.) Classic Duncan. The woman was sitting inside her car and never said a thing to him, but his preternatural spatial awareness told him she was there. And the finger itself, a masterpiece of efficiency. A quick, easy up-and-under with zero wasted motion, using the glass like the future Hall of Famer has been doing his whole career. It's fantastic that this is how Tim Duncan blows up in public—polite and unobtrusive. He's The Onion's Tim Duncan (http://www.theonion.com/articles/tim-duncan-releases-decade-worth-of-pentup-emotion,2069/) brought to life." -Deadspin

ace3g
11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
street cred ...

apalisoc_9
11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
How in the world did they end up seeing that as a middle finer. I rewinded that for more than 10 times, and it is difficult to get a clear look.

z0sa
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I love how he casually scans both ways and pulls out slowly

Manu-20
11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
So I see Jacksons rubbing off on Tim, in all likely hood though the Lady filming him was probably wearing a kobe jersey.

justinandimcool
11-07-2012, 03:32 PM
classiest middle finger ever, tbh.

davidbowie
11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
haha goddamn tim is the best

timvp
11-07-2012, 03:45 PM
:lmao Greatness. The Deadspin writeup was hilarious as well.

Kidd K
11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Little do we know, prior to the video, she confronted Duncan at the store, informing him that he was killing her fantasy team. According to this video, I think we all know what the response was.

-21-
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
classiest middle finger ever, tbh.

This is true. :lol

DPG21920
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
It's kind of strange - on one hand, I agree everyone has the right to privacy, but on the other hand they very well know fans support them and help them make the fantastic living that they do. They don't mind being paid like celebrity, but don't want what comes along with it? For better or worse it's a great life and a choice and as long as people aren't being over the top with it, I don't see what the big deal is overall.

bklynspursfan
11-07-2012, 04:34 PM
This is awesome.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
"A quick, easy up-and-under with zero wasted motion, using the glass like the future Hall of Famer has been doing his whole career."

:lol :lol

will_spurs
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
How in the world did they end up seeing that as a middle finer. I rewinded that for more than 10 times, and it is difficult to get a clear look.

I'm still undecided whether he was fixing his rearview mirror, or flipping her the bird.

lefty
11-07-2012, 04:53 PM
What the ................

:rollin

hooperflash
11-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Adjusting the rear-view mirror, tbh.

hooperflash
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Rearview for sure

Juventini
11-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Definitely not rearview mirror. Why would he need to adjust it when he drove that car to the mall?

Phenomanul
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Classic...!

jiggy_55
11-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm still undecided whether he was fixing his rearview mirror, or flipping her the bird.

Do you routinely adjust the rear view mirror after u already drove to your destination? And do you normally adjust the mirror with your middle finger? LOL

capek
11-07-2012, 05:20 PM
He doesn't even touch his rvm. There's space between his hand and the mirror. Clearly looked to me like a flip off.

Pretty weird/funny moment captured. News involving Tim is so rare it's always funny what actually does come out.

Vic Petro
11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
It's kind of strange - on one hand, I agree everyone has the right to privacy, but on the other hand they very well know fans support them and help them make the fantastic living that they do. They don't mind being paid like celebrity, but don't want what comes along with it? For better or worse it's a great life and a choice and as long as people aren't being over the top with it, I don't see what the big deal is overall.

If you are going to creepily stalk and tape somebody without their knowledge, I don't see the big deal with getting the middle finger. It's a free country and you can be a creep if you want, but you gotta take what comes along with it.

It's one thing if you ask for an autograph or approach him and say he's your favorite player or whatever. But to hang in the shadows and tape somebody secretly while they are trying to pick up something at the store...that's low rent. At least paparazzi get paid to be jerks.

BatManu20
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Adjusting the rear-view mirror, tbh.

Definitely not fixing the rearview mirror.. if you look closely his hand isn't even close to the mirror. He doesn't even touch it.

phyzik
11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
He probably figured the person to be paparazi or something, in which case the finger was entirely justified.

HI-FI
11-07-2012, 06:46 PM
you stay classy...san antonio??

ffadicted
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Fuckng classiest flip-off of all time, HoF material :cry

Whisky Dog
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I don't think Timmy appreciates having his plate numbers flashed on the web, but that was a fucking awesome birdie.

Clean and smooth. Also the car, black and understated with plain black custom rims. Just what I'd expect from the man.

Spurtacus
11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I believe Timmy is hinting at a fifth ring this year. One for the middle finger baby.

jestersmash
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
FdfEWm_6WxA

manustarting2gd
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
And Tim with another rejection!

Buddy Holly
11-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Definitely not rearview mirror. Why would he need to adjust it when he drove that car to the mall?

To the mall? That's a CVS.

Dex
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Upon initial viewing, I could see why it looks like he is giving her the finger.

On second viewing however, I don't think that's the case. I think he was just hovering his right hand over his steering wheel while checking for traffic, and the finger sticking upward is his thumb.

The "offending" shot. We see his hand, but cant really tell if thats a middle finger, or a thumb sticking upward...Also note Tim is checking for a clear path:
http://i.imgur.com/2bzo2.png

However, notice when he lowers his hand, you can his fingers spread, apparently downward. Not the way your hand would come out after flipping the bird:
http://i.imgur.com/zCezQ.png

Tim then hesitates, still looking for traffic....then before he pulls out and starts turning the wheel, his right hand hovers over the steering wheel in a very similar fashion it was raised before:
http://i.imgur.com/aeE3B.png

When you are seven foot tall and have huge fucking hands like Tim, it might be pretty easy to confuse one for the other.

crc21209
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Nice observation Dex, but even if he did give her the finger, I don't have a problem with it. If somebody was filming me from their car I would feel pretty creeped out too...:lol

PingPong
11-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice Merc. Better than the typical Escalade or Dodge with 500 inches bling bling chrome wheels.

dbreiden83080
11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Very fundamentally sound middle finger...

dylankerouac
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Upon initial viewing, I could see why it looks like he is giving her the finger.

On second viewing however, I don't think that's the case. I think he was just hovering his right hand over his steering wheel while checking for traffic, and the finger sticking upward is his thumb.

The "offending" shot. We see his hand, but cant really tell if thats a middle finger, or a thumb sticking upward...Also note Tim is checking for a clear path:

However, notice when he lowers his hand, you can his fingers spread, apparently downward. Not the way your hand would come out after flipping the bird:

Tim then hesitates, still looking for traffic....then before he pulls out and starts turning the wheel, his right hand hovers over the steering wheel in a very similar fashion it was raised before:

When you are seven foot tall and have huge fucking hands like Tim, it might be pretty easy to confuse one for the other.

Myth busted!

Leetonidas
11-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Damn that was the classiest obscene gesture ever

Andthentherewas21
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Classic Duncan. Best part of my day.:lmao

Floyd Pacquiao
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
he's only human tbh

NRHector
11-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I think it was a set up by a Laker fan

The_Worlds_finest
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I don't give a shit who you are, a stranger taping you is getting the bird.

apalisoc_9
11-07-2012, 11:01 PM

This. When, I drive i usually start with just one-hand and my left doing other stuff that i dont even notice. One time i just have it up, sometimes i have it touched on the mirror for some weird reason.

SpurPadre
11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I think Pop and RC install a chip in each Spur player's head after signing a contract that prevents them from doing the types of things deadspin thinks TD is doing, lol. That's why I say it's not a flip of the bird, too.

spurs1990
11-07-2012, 11:49 PM
S65 AMG, I want to thank TD for showing what car to buy when one grows up.

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 01:03 AM
"A quick, easy up-and-under with zero wasted motion, using the glass like the future Hall of Famer has been doing his whole career."

:lol :lol
f'ing love your sig

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Bitch deserved two fingers, tbh. Give the dude his space. Truly the best middle finger ever. When I want to teach my kids the right way to flip someone off, I'll show them this video.

jiggy_55
11-08-2012, 01:36 AM

Just stop. No reason to create a huge story on your own lol, it's pretty clear that's the middle finger. What the hell is his right hand doing hovering way above the steering? Do you usually just hold your right hand up high and wide from the steering wheel before driving and leave your middle finger up? Lol that's pretty abnormal. He was probably being harassed and flipped the person, good for him.

The Reckoning
11-08-2012, 01:59 AM
look at that hall of fame peripheral vision on the perimeter. impressive.

Dex
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Obviously this is all up for interpretation, but honing in on the details is completely different from "creating a huge story".

What the hell is his right hand doing hovering way above the steering?

Dude is seven foot tall with a long wingspan, packed inside a tiny Mercedes. I'd venture to bet he doesn't have a ton of extra elbow room. Like I said, his hand was probably just hovering idly over the steering while he waited to pull out; he obviously goes back to the same motion when his car starts to move.

Do you usually just hold your right hand up high and wide from the steering wheel before driving and leave your middle finger up?

Again, it doesn't look like a middle finger to me. The shot of his hand is obviously blurred, but to me, it looks like his hand is being held to the side (palm facing the steering wheel) with his thumb sticking up (you know, in the way it would be right before one grabs a steering wheel).

Focus on the hand:
http://i.imgur.com/0dJmI.png

Either Tim Duncan has the shortest middle finger ever (especially for a 7-foot man), or his hand is being held at an angle, and the digit we see facing upward is his thumb, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/8OWqN.png

I don't really care if Tim flipped this lady the bird; I agree that it's shady for anybody to be filming you from their car. At the same time, that just doesn't suit Tim's personality to me. He's been in the celebrity limelight for fifteen years; he's got to be used to people making a big deal of seeing him in every day situations. He's also always seemed extremely gracious, both the time that I met him, and in the other examples I've heard of. Just doesn't seem like the type of thing he'd do, and I don't think the video is concrete enough evidence to prove he did it.

Kool Bob Love
11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow. Dude its clearly a middle finger. Dont need all that extra stuff. Its okay man Tim is human just like the rest of us. No big deal.

Arcadian
11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
The problem is that we've all been biased by the headline saying it was a middle finger. Expectation alters perception. If you saw this without being biased, you might not think it was a middle finger.

Dex
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
People just like a scandal, I guess.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm starting to get sick and tired of these athletes...they play a "game" ..retire by 40..and are millionaires..suck it up and let the woman have a pic/video...it's not like she was even bothering him. Must really suck being famous..unreal.

ColinB
11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
You guys must have really good eyes because I can't see anything in this video to definitely say he is flicking someone off.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Bitch deserved two fingers, tbh. Give the dude his space. Truly the best middle finger ever. When I want to teach my kids the right way to flip someone off, I'll show them this video.

Give the dude his space?? How much space does he need...? You'd think if he couldn't handle a photo or two while going out in public, he'd just stay home?

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Give the dude his space?? How much space does he need...? You'd think if he couldn't handle a photo or two while going out in public, he'd just stay home?
Photo or two? The fuck? Bitch was videotaping him. Filming him. I see someone doing that to me, I'm coming up and snatching that shit away from them. He has rights, you know. And it's not exactly legal for her to just videotape him without his permission.

Cow Eye
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Photo or two? The fuck? Bitch was videotaping him. Filming him. I see someone doing that to me, I'm coming up and snatching that shit away from them. He has rights, you know. And it's not exactly legal for her to just videotape him without his permission.

Actually, the person has every right to video tape anything they want in a public place. She could have been standing next to his car and filming him obnoxiously and it would be completely legal. You do not have the right to "not be filmed" if you're in pubic.

Good luck walking up to someone and snatching their camera away. Good way to get arrested for theft, or possibly even robbery if they say they felt threatened, or if they fought back against you and you took it forcefully.

cd021
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
C-O-L-D--B-L-O-O-D-E-D!!

gameFACE
11-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I didn't know Tim finger rolled.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM

Are you serious? You think what she did was illegal? Says who?

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Are you serious? You think what she did was illegal? Says who?
Depending on the case, there is an expectation of privacy. The parking lot probably isn't. But she still could have had the courtesy to leave the guy alone. I wouldn't want to be videotaped. She knew he was in there. She could have just gone up to him, shook his hand, asked for an autograph or picture, and he probably would have obliged. I have Tim's autograph..met him, asked, and he was more than happy to. But instead, she runs out to her car, hides in it, and videotapes him. How fucking creepy is that? Talk about setting a bad example..

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I didn't know Tim finger rolled.
:hat

ploto
11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
The only reason for someone to think it was a middle finger is if she had done something to warrant a middle finger.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Come on people..how hard is it(in a vehicle) to put it in gear and drive off?? Worst thing Timmy could have done In that situation, was giving her the finger..I mean she's video taping him already...what was he thinking? I just don't get it but it's a prime example of these athletes being just as dumb as u or I(proof is in most of these posts).

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 08:08 PM
The only reason for someone to think it was a middle finger is if she had done something to warrant a middle finger.

"Warranted" according to who? Come one, Tim should be better than that but whatever.

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
"Warranted" according to who? Come one, Tim should be better than that but whatever.
Don't judge..you have no clue what she was doing or saying from behind that camera. She could have brought it on herself. If he was having a bad day, was upset about something, and then all of a sudden someone is videotaping him, it might happen. And it's not about someone being as dumb as your or I..it's about them being human, like you or me...and yeah..he's fucking human..get over yourself, and stop thinking athletes are supposed to be above us.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't judge..you have no clue what she was doing or saying from behind that camera. She could have brought it on herself. If he was having a bad day, was upset about something, and then all of a sudden someone is videotaping him, it might happen. And it's not about someone being as dumb as your or I..it's about them being human, like you or me...and yeah..he's fucking human..get over yourself, and stop thinking athletes are supposed to be above us.

Lol "get over yourself and stop thinking athletes are suppose to be above us"..that doesn't make sense but w/e..my guess is she's shy..I am to and if I saw one of my favorite players I wouldn't go running up to them! She probably wanted proof ...so she could show it off to friends/family..and instead she gets the bird.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
It's 2012..nearly everyone has a phone w/camera these days....your famous and in public..what do you expect? I'm not saying what she did was right by any means..but I hope Timmy doesn't flip off everyone that tries catching him on camera in these situations.

Andthentherewas21
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Lol "get over yourself and stop thinking athletes are suppose to be above us"..that doesn't make sense but w/e..my guess is she's shy..I am to and if I saw one of my favorite players I wouldn't go running up to them! She probably wanted proof ...so she could show it off to friends/family..and instead she gets the bird.

If she wanted proof, a quick picture with both her and Tim in it would have sufficed. As you said its 2012 and everyone has a camera phone. Would have taken 2 seconds to go up ask for a picture with him, and if he wasn't in the mood that is his right. If she is too shy to ask, thats her problem not his. The fact the lady not only hid in a car to videotape him, but then decided to post the footage online would seem to suggest that wasn't the case though.

He's paid to play basketball and be socialable for the media events, he isn't a walking and talking Spurs billboard. They don't own him. He's entitled to some semblence of privacy, even as a public figure.

Poolboy5623
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Nobody asked him to be a walking billboard...when you give someone the finger, you r saying F-CK YOU..im a huge bears fan and a lot of the fans do the same with Cutler(defend him no matter what)..I just didn't think Timmy was like that..plenty of other ways the situation could have been handled by both. That's all.

Spursfan092120
11-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Take a picture...not a video. When you film someone it's going too far.

Two10Whitey
11-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Athletes and celebrities shouldn't be viewed as superhuman beings. I doubt any children witnessed Tim flipping the bird before the video got posted. I couldn't imagine being followed and taped during my normal life. Athletes and celebrities are recorded and quoted during their jobs. Leave them alone outside of the limelight. THEY ARE HUMAN. And if they act like gods then so be it.. Respect their talent but don't expect anything else.

ploto
11-08-2012, 11:39 PM

You missed my point altogether. It does not look all that obvious to me that it is him flipping her off. She only thinks it is him flipping her off because she did something that might make someone flip her off.

TampaDude
11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't know why anyone who was a Spurs fan would just film him from a distance like that. It's kinda creepy. If I was ever in SA, and saw Tim Duncan, I would approach him carefully, address him as "Mr. Duncan", and tell him I'm a huge fan and wish him good luck and say "get #5 this year, man!" or something like that.

therealtruth
11-09-2012, 12:13 AM
He's got the smallest middle finger.

polandprzem
11-09-2012, 04:32 AM
That's a scandal!

And Timmy made it look so unclear that he is more cunning that I expected /off the court/

TXstbobcat
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I like the black Mercedes Benz. Cool car.

Dingle Barry
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what she did. I film Tim leaving and returning to his house everyday.

Poolboy5623
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
You missed my point altogether. It does not look all that obvious to me that it is him flipping her off. She only thinks it is him flipping her off because she did something that might make someone flip her off.

I didn't miss your point..I just don't see what she did that was so bad for someone to reply with a silent F you. Your saying she did "something"..there's so many other things he could have done here...hell , doing nothing and driving off would make more sense. And then everyone responds with a "I would have went up to him and introduced myself blah blah"...gimme a break, that's just as bad and annoying. Isn't the whole pt here to just leave these human beings alone when their not playing basketball?

Spursfan092120
11-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I didn't miss your point..I just don't see what she did that was so bad for someone to reply with a silent F you. Your saying she did "something"..there's so many other things he could have done here...hell , doing nothing and driving off would make more sense. And then everyone responds with a "I would have went up to him and introduced myself blah blah"...gimme a break, that's just as bad and annoying. Isn't the whole pt here to just leave these human beings alone when their not playing basketball?
Exactly...so thanks for admitting you're wrong...Good Day Sir.

Poolboy5623
11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Did I just get "burned"? Lol ...yes these guys should be left alone in public. I wouldn't bother them myself...but I'd be a little bummed if I put my phone up from a distance, to snap a picture..and I get flipped off. Do you not see this? Yeah she took a vid, but the form for video vs picture is the same with a cellphone....this is stupid.

Poolboy5623
11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
And good day to you to, ....sir.

007nites
11-10-2012, 01:47 AM
S63 AMG nice

howbouthemspurs
11-10-2012, 04:17 AM
lol.. that was classic!

KaiRMD1
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Now that's nasty!