PDA

View Full Version : Cantor doubles down

ElNono
11-09-2012, 12:47 AM
So much for working together...

http://thehill.com/images/stories/blogs/flooraction/jan2012/cantor2013.pdf

Now, I understand and agree that Reid is an asshole, but come on. All this bullshit is headed back to another fucking gridlock, another two years of nothing being done and more pandering. smh

SnakeBoy
11-09-2012, 01:41 AM
The President cannot demand that every issue be resolved his preferred way. After all the President may have been reelected, but so was our majority. Likewise, we cannot expect that every issue will be resolved the way we prefer. Our task is to
legislate based on our principles and forge the compromise that will be necessary to get our nation back on track.

What's your problem with this?

ElNono
11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
What's your problem with this?

I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is what he thinks the solution to that is. Namely, already plotting how they think they can put "heat" on Reid to pass the stuff that they want. Which is exactly what they've been trying to do for two years, and Reid has called their bluff every time. That's not how you sit down and work together.

Add the "we'll continue fighting Obama attempt to raise taxes", or back to fighting Obamacare (listen, I don't like it any more than them, but we just had a referendum where Romney basically ran on repealing Obamacare, and he got his ass handed to him. Time to work on stuff that can get done).

ploto
11-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Yesterday:

Speaker John Boehner ‏@SpeakerBoehner

ObamaCare is law of the land, but it is raising costs & threatening jobs. Our goal has been, and will remain, #fullrepeal.

http://twitter.com/search?q=%23FullRepeal&src=hash

MannyIsGod
11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I'll withhold judgment on all the posturing until I see what they actually try to do or don't do.

101A
11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
I'll withhold judgment on all the posturing until I see what they actually try to do or don't do.

Sounds like a good strategy; but skepticism (I have tons myself) is warranted.

JoeChalupa
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
This is a chance for Boehner to show some backbone against the likes of Cantor and work to get things done.

Drachen
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM
This is a chance for Boehner to show some backbone against the likes of Cantor and work to get things done.

Hell, if he does this, I will send 5 bucks to his reelection campaign. I was extremely hopeful last year when he and Obama were talking. I was thinking "this is how politics should be done". Then that vapid wing of his party swooped in and killed it. Stiffen up Bohner!

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
If ANYTHING gets done in Congress, it's because Congressmen are being paid to protect/increase UCA/1% wealth.

eg, who paid Lincoln and FDR to implement laws and policies that actually "progressed" American civilization? back then, nobody.

Today, a Lincoln or FDR wouldn't have chance of being elected. Even St Ronnie is way too moderate for today's Repugs.

Th'Pusher
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Cantor has zero leverage here. Tax rates are going up on everyone on Jan 1. Barry needs to isolate several vulnerable republicans and take the message directly to their constituents that their representatives are willing to let taxes go up on everyone because they are not willing to raise taxes on the top bracket. Fuck it. Scorched earth class warfare. :lol

JoeChalupa
11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Cantor will lose next election if he doesn't compromise. The Country is sick of that crap.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
If ANYTHING gets done in Congress, it's because Congressmen are being paid to protect/increase UCA/1% wealth.

eg, who paid Lincoln and FDR to implement laws and policies that actually "progressed" American civilization? back then, nobody.

Today, a Lincoln or FDR wouldn't have chance of being elected. Even St Ronnie is way too moderate for today's Repugs.

Lincoln was a political outside who rose to power as the whigs were torn apart due to slavery. FDR was a relative moderate chosen over Debs and Hoover during a crisis of not just economy but also culture.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Barry is not beholden to the financial sector that gave something like 10:1 Bishop Gecko, so he can really go after them now with stabilizing regulations so banking is boring again, re-implement Glass-Steagal, 2% sales tax on all financial/stock trading, etc, etc.

Plus kill the "carried interest" loophole, raise top bracket to 50%, and raise the SS cap to $500K on ALL income, not just salary.

SnakeBoy
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Cantor will lose next election if he doesn't compromise. The Country is sick of that crap.

How do you come to that conclusion? We just had an election in which the american people said we want EXACTLY the same crap we've had for the last two years.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Why John Boehner May Have More Leverage over the Tea Partiers in Congres (http://robertreich.org/post/35275610819)s

“If there’s a mandate in yesterday’s results,” said House Speaker John Boehner on Wednesday, “it’s a mandate to find a way for us to work together.” Republicans, he said, were willing to accept “new revenue under the right conditions,” to get a bipartisan agreement over the budget.

We’ve heard this before. The Speaker came close to agreeing to an increase in tax revenues in his talks with the President in the summer of 2011, but relented when Tea Partiers in the House made a ruckus.
But Tea Partiers may be more amenable to an agreement now that the electorate has signaled it doesn’t especially like what the Tea Party has been up to.

Consider Indiana, where the Tea Party had pushed out veteran GOP Senator Richard Lugar in favor of Richard (rape is “something God intended”) Mourdock. Mourdouk was soundly defeated Tuesday by Rep. Joe Donnelly.
In Missouri, the Tea Party was responsible for Todd (some rapes are “legitimate”) Akin winning the Republican Senate nomination – which gave Sen. Claire McCaskill a landslide victory.

And in Montana, Tea Party nominee Denny Rehberg was no match for Senator Jon Tester.

Of the sixty incumbent members of the House’s Tea Party Caucus, 47 were reelected, while 6 lost big, two ended up in races far too close for comfort, and one is still hanging by a thread (the rest either retired or sought higher office). Overall, those are bad odds for House incumbents.

As of Thursday morning, Tea Party icon Florida’s Rep. Allen West — who made a name for himself calling several of his Democratic colleagues communists — was still trailing his Democratic opponent Patrick Murphy by more than the 0.5 percent margin that would trigger an automatic recount. Nonetheless, West is charging “disturbing irregularities” in the balloting process, and his lawyers have asked that ballots and voting equipment be impounded in St. Lucie and Palm Beach counties in expectation of a recount.

Another Tea Party icon, Minnesota’s Rep. Michele Bachmann, beat challenger Jim Graves by just over 3,000 votes out of nearly 350,000 votes cast — even though she outspent Graves by more than 12-to-one. Not a good omen for Bachmann in 2014.

Tuesday wasn’t exactly a repudiation of the Tea Party, and the public’s rejection of Tea Party extremism on social issues doesn’t automatically translate into rejection of its doctrinaire economics. But the election may have been enough of a slap in the face to cause Tea Partiers to rethink their overall strategy of intransigence. And to give Boehner and whatever moderate voices are left in the GOP some leverage over the crazies in their midst.

http://robertreich.org/

I figure the Repugs will only accept $10:$1 cuts:raises.

Barry better not touch SS, and leave medicare/medicaid to be worked out under ACA.

ElNono
11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
How do you come to that conclusion? We just had an election in which the american people said we want EXACTLY the same crap we've had for the last two years.

I would be careful with that read. GOP lost seats both on the House and the Senate. Sure, they have enough to retain majority in the House, but overall it wasn't a good election for them in Congress either.

Before the election, I thought that if they didn't win control of the Senate this time around, they for sure would have control of Congress in 2014. I'm not so sure about that now, especially if they keep pushing with the intransigence.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Boehner Digs In on Opposition to Tax Hikes for Wealthy

Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio dug in Friday on his opposition to raising tax rates on the rich, claiming his own mandate with the re-election of a House Republican majority but expressing confidence that any deal he can reach with President Obama can get through the conservative House.

"When the president and I have been able to come to an agreement, there has been no problem getting it passed here in the House," he told reporters. Some House Republicans have already warned him against cutting a deal without seeking their approval first.

Any agreement to avert a fiscal crisis in January when hundreds of billions of dollars in automatic tax increases and spending cuts kick in now revolves around the definition of tax increases. Mr. Boehner is holding the line against any increase in tax rates, even for the richest Americans that currently are in the 35 percent tax bracket. But he is leaving open the possibility of a reformed tax code that does raise more revenue than the existing code.

"It's clear that there are a lot of special interest loopholes in the tax code, both corporate and personal," he said. "It's also clear that there are all kinds of deductions, some of which make sense, others don't. And by lowering rates and cleaning up the tax code, we know we're going to get more economic growth."

Democrats say they will not accept a deal that just counts on economic growth to produce more revenues. Taxes on the rich must go up, they say. Otherwise spending cuts and changes to programs like Medicare will be borne completely by the poor and middle class. Because President Obama won re-election on a clear platform that called for higher taxes on the rich, Democrats believe they have a mandate to push their position.

But Mr. Boehner said he has a mandate as well.

"There's a Republican majority here in the House," he said. "The American people re-elected a Republican majority, and I'm proud of the fact that our team in a very difficult year was able to maintain our majority."

That majority is a fractious one. Representative John Fleming, Republican of Louisiana, conceded that some moderate Republicans are ready to give in to Mr. Obama on tax increases for the rich, but he said conservatives are not.

"A majority of Americans thought it was just fine to raise taxes on higher income people, but that's more of an emotional response, more 'I'm in pain, I want someone else to pay,'" he conceded in an interview. But, he added, "how does that solve America's problems? That's counterproductive to go down that road."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/blogs/boehner-digs-in-on-opposition-to-tax-hikes-for-wealthy.xml?f=19

Boner feathering his post-Congress bed.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2012, 04:34 PM
That's why I'm going PV solar right now before CPS cuts the rebates and they abolish the federal tax credits. It will be like adding $40,000 value to my house for $12,000.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 04:57 PM
extending Federal wind and solar incentives for 10 years is my list for Bronco 2nd term. would (continue to) create 100Ks of jobs

and extra installation incentives for wind/solar mfrd in USA.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
extending Federal wind and solar incentives for 10 years is my list for Bronco 2nd term. would (continue to) create 100Ks of jobs

and extra installation incentives for wind/solar mfrd in USA.

Simplifying the tax code means cutting deductions and credits across the board. Mortgage interest is probably sacred but all others are on the table. Besides, those solar credits only help rich people that pay taxes anyway.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Hopefully they kill the ethanol subsidies and 10% mandate.

:lol

I know, I know, I'm dreaming. Big Ag owns the congress.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Obama: Compromise— but not on tax cuts for rich

An economic calamity looming, President Barack Obama on Friday signaled willingness to compromise with Republicans , declaring he was not "wedded to every detail" of his tax-and-spending approach to prevent deep and widespread pain in the new year. But he insisted his re-election gave him a mandate to raise taxes on wealthier Americans.

"The majority of Americans agree with my approach," said Obama, brimming with apparent confidence in his first White House statement since securing a second term.

http://mobile.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_41697/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=QdJwL4hZ

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Boehner says debt limit should be part of talks

House Speaker John Boehner insisted on Friday that any deal with President Barack Obama to avert the so-called fiscal cliff must include lower tax rates, eliminating special interest loopholes and reining in government-benefit programs.

"2013 should be the year we begin to solve our debt through tax reform and entitlement reform," Boehner said.

Boehner and Obama have taken the initial steps in high-stakes negotiations over how to deal with expiring Bush-era tax cuts and automatic spending cuts to defense and domestic programs that economists warn could plunge the nation into another recession.

http://mobile.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_41688/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=sRf7E6IB

Wild Cobra
11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Hopefully they kill the ethanol subsidies and 10% mandate.

:lol

I know, I know, I'm dreaming. Big Ag owns the congress.I agree. These subsidies are costing us way too much.

boutons_deux
11-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Congressional Republicans’ ‘Compromise’: Everyone Should Accept Romney Tax Plan

Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA): On ABC’s This Week, Chambliss said, “Bowles-Simpson said, look, eliminate all these tax credits and tax deductions. You can generate somewhere 1 to 1.2 trillion in additional revenue. You can actually lower tax rates by doing that. And I think at the end of the day, what’s got to happen, George, we’ve got to get this economy going again.

Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK): In a Friday column, House Budget Committee member Cole wrote: “However, raising tax rates is not the only way to increase revenue, nor is it the best way. Speaker Boehner has proposed comprehensive tax reform to raise revenue and lower rates. Eliminating inefficient loopholes and deductions will generate economic growth while creating a simpler, fairer tax code.”

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX): In a Wednesday Tweet, House Ways and Means Committee member Brady opined: “Stronger economic growth from tax reform that lowers rates and closes loopholes will generate higher revenue to bring the deficit down.

Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA): In a letter to his Republican caucus, the House Majority Leader wrote: “What would be best is a fundamental reform of the tax code that lowers rates, broadens the base, makes America’s businesses competitive again, and reduces the burden imposed by taxes on work and investment.”

Rep. Dave Camp (R-MI): In a Wednesday press release, the House Ways and Means Chairman wrote: “There is a better path forward than simply increasing tax rates, and one in which both sides can claim victory. We can address both our jobs crisis and our debt crisis by focusing on tax reform that strengthens the economy. There is bipartisan support for tax reform that closes loopholes and lowers rates.”

Rep. Tom Price (R-GA): On Fox News Sunday, House Republican Policy Committee Chairman Price, a member of both the Ways and Means and Budget Committees, said “We can increase revenue without increasing the tax rates on anybody in this country.”

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/11/1176581/congressional-republicans-compromise-romney-tax/

TP :lol

Repugs blatantly LYING, same old trickle down LIE, OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

I'd love for Barry and the Dems to stand firm by not touching Medicare, Medicaid, SS and let the "fiscal cliff" LIE happen.

boutons_deux
11-11-2012, 06:36 PM
House Majority Leader Already Taking Debt Limit Hostage For Spending Cuts

with another debt ceiling increase necessary in early 2013, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) is already taking it hostage again, demanding entitlement cuts in return for ensuring that the nation doesn’t default on its debt:

Resolving the issues surrounding the fiscal cliff, especially the replacement of the sequester, and the next debt limit increase (likely necessary in February) will require that the President get serious about real entitlement reform. While it is unrealistic for us to expect the President to embrace our vision of Medicare reform or Obamacare repeal, it is equally unrealistic for the President to continue to insist that Obamacare is off the table, or that Medicare and Medicaid require nothing more than some additional provider cuts. We will measure entitlement savings on the basis of whether they are sustainable and whether they actually bend down the cost curve.

John Boehner (R-OH), meanwhile, opened negotiations over the so-called “fiscal cliff” yesterday by marching out the same sort of tax plan that Mitt Romney embraced and that Boehner tried to push for during the 2010 debt ceiling debacle.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/08/1162461/cantor-debt-ceiling-spending-cuts/

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Joker just got tea bagged. Fuck. When Eric cantor is conservative enough.

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Not that immigration reform had any chance of passing the house, but this cements that's not happening.

m>s
06-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Not that immigration reform had any chance of passing the house, but this cements that's not happening.
boo fuckin hoo sad day now the working man might get a raise :cry

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 08:22 PM
boo fuckin hoo sad day now the working man might get a raise :cry

Why would anyone get a raise? Just remains the status quo with a broken immigration system.

m>s
06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
>implying there isn't a supply and demand curve for labor

lel

m>s
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
lol broken

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
>implying there isn't a supply and demand curve for labor

lel
How was I implying there was not a demand curve for labor? Do you know what status quo means moron?

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 08:33 PM
lol broken
And yes. Broken. Do you deny we have literally millions of illegal immigrants in this country?

m>s
06-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Sounds like they're already illegal so it's not the law but the people upholding it who are broken

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Sounds like they're already illegal so it's not the law but the people upholding it who are broken

who are these people not upholding the law?

m>s
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
The lawless Obama administration who is encouraging them to come with promises of amnesty all while tying ICE's hands

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 09:16 PM
The lawless Obama administration who is encouraging them to come with promises of amnesty all while tying ICE's hands
:lol Fox News viewer?

http://publicreligion.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-Immigration-Survey.pdf

m>s
06-10-2014, 09:18 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/central-america-illegal-children-newspapers/2014/06/10/id/576257/

m>s
06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/10/Report-Illegals-Waving-at-Agents-to-Detain-Them-Near-Border-Hoping-for-Permit-to-Remain-in-US

m>s
06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
The only good Marxist is a dead marxist

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
:lol newsmax
:lol breitbart

:lol you're not serious. You're just an emotional moron.

m>s
06-10-2014, 10:36 PM
>typical liberal attempting to discredit tactics

m>s
06-10-2014, 10:38 PM
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/9/editorial-the-childrens-hour/

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 10:46 PM
:lol Washington times. You're literally a mongrel lapping up right wing rabble because it makes you feel good. You're an emotional piece of human garbage and you're stupid on top of that.

Have a nice day :lol

m>s
06-10-2014, 10:59 PM
And you think cnn is credible and worship msnbc. There is literally nothing left but one thing for mine and your kind. See you on the battlefield one day.

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
And you think cnn is credible and worship msnbc. There is literally nothing left but one thing for mine and your kind. See you on the battlefield one day.

:lol I'll destroy you on the battlefield. You're a hyper-emotional pussy. There is no doubt in my mind I can dismantle you both mentally and physically.

m>s
06-10-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm descended from men who served in the legendary SS on both sides..your tall tales are highly unlikely. Have you ever even successfully defended yourself with lethal force? You'd fold up mentally like a cheap lawn chair. What the hell have you done for your race lately you damn mongrel.

Th'Pusher
06-10-2014, 11:43 PM
No tall tales pussy. Just my opinion based on your hyper emo posts. If we met, I'd dismantle you mentally, you'd lash out physically like the mongrel you are, then I'd tear you apart emotionally, mentally and physically if necessary. I'm a superior human being by all measures.

m>s
06-10-2014, 11:45 PM
>my opinion

stopped reading there, you're a leftist