PDA

View Full Version : Lakers fire Mike Brown

bklynspursfan
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo)
"Mike just called saying he was relieved of his duties," agent Warren LeGarie tells Y! Sports about the ex-Lakers coach.

Raven
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
wow, that was quick..

dylankerouac
11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Surely they wouldn't do this without someone else in mind, who it be?

bus driver
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Surely they wouldn't do this without someone else in mind, who it be?

kobe

bklynspursfan
11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
lol after 5 games... Blame the coach. But will be entertaining if they continue to struggle which they likely will with that bench, nash hurt, chemistry, etc..

Michael Smith ‏@michaelsmith (https://twitter.com/michaelsmith)
Not only has it only been five games, but Kobe, Pau, Dwight, and Nash have been on the floor together for all of 45 minutes this season.

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Poor Brown

edgar
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
He ought to come back to San Antonio like his other buddy ferry did to revitalize his career like he did.

BillMc
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, that's quick

SenorSpur
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
That was very quick. Based on the ego of Jim Buss, I thought he would stubbornly ride Brown out for this season.

In any case, Brown can always come back to the Spurs and become Pop's defensive coordinator. That would certainly revive his career.

CitizenDwayne
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
So...what happens if they keep losing?

BillMc
11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
They should call Brian Shaw like they should have originally!

Bruno
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
WoW.

They only gave him 5 games. That's crazy.

For his replacement, I hope it won't be Sloan. D'Antoni would be perfect.

jon123spurs
11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Anyone think the Zen master comes back.

Creation88
11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Fireball
11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Hopefully a good coach stays away from the team ...

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
This situation screams D'Antoni. The relationship with Nash aside, Howard (when healthy) gives them a defensive presence that D'Antoni never had in Phoenix and might be able to mitigate his cluelessness on that end. And D'Antoni won't be hampered by a limited bench, since he likes to give big minutes to his starters.

I'd be very surprised if D'Antoni isn't their target.

SenorSpur
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
They should call Brian Shaw like they should have originally!

There it is right there!

That is the coach they should've hired in the first place. However, the younger Buss was so hell-bent on NOT taking the clubhouse favorite.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Fakers are going to dethrone the Thunder, as all the so-called NBA pundits and analysts so boldly predicted at the start of this season.

SenorSpur
11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
This situation screams D'Antoni. The relationship with Nash aside, Howard (when healthy) gives them a defensive presence that D'Antoni never had in Phoenix and might be able to mitigate his cluelessness on that end. And D'Antoni won't be hampered by a limited bench, since he likes to give big minutes to his starters.

I'd be very surprised if D'Antoni isn't their target.

And don't forget about D'Antoni's long and friendly relationship with Kobe Bryant that dates back to when Kobe was a kid living in Italy.

DPG21920
11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Keep in mind this "isn't just 5 games". Mike Brown had a damn talented team last year with a top 5 player in Kobe and the best front court in the league in Bynum/Pau and there underperformed then.

11-09-2012, 01:58 PM
any random coach would be better than mike brown. sigh...

wildbill2u
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
He's been away just long enough to realize how much he misses working in the game. It wouldn't surprise me to see him re-hired by the Lakers at all.

bklynspursfan
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Mike Monroe ‏@Monroe_SA (https://twitter.com/Monroe_SA)
Popovich on Brown firing: 'from outside looking in he never had a chance to put the team together; that's pretty obvious to anybody'

bklynspursfan
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Did see this about D'antoni

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
Knee replacement surgery expected to keep Mike D'Antoni unable to coach until late December, league source tells Y! Sports.

purist
11-09-2012, 02:24 PM
don't act so appalled. this is exactly how this forum would have reacted if spurs started 1-4. Fire Pop, blah blah blah blah.

lefty
11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
WoW.

They only gave him 5 games. That's crazy.

For his replacement, I hope it won't be Sloan. D'Antoni would be perfect.

It won't be Sloan

SilverSpur
11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Great! Bring him and Quinn Snyder back to the Spurs fast.

JsnSA
11-09-2012, 02:29 PM
don't act so appalled. this is exactly how this forum would have reacted if spurs started 1-4. Fire Pop, blah blah blah blah.

Of course thats how fans would react. But you would think ownership would give them more time. It has only been 5 games with new key players and Nash hurt for most of them and apparently a revamped offense. If they are ready to cut Brown this quickly then they never should have brought him back in the first place.

There had to be something else there behind the scenes to cause him being let go this fast.

blkroadrunners
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
They should've hired Adelman in the first place.

lefty
11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
They should've hired Adelman in the first place.

This

Dingle Barry
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
_'Antoni would play Nash 40 MPG and Nash's legs would literally disintegrate.

will_spurs
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Mike just called saying he was relieved

FIFY

I can't imagine the nightmare of having to babysit both Kobe and Dwight on a daily basis.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM

...which is why message forums don't run NBA teams other than the Lakers.

lefty
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Mike Monroe ‏@Monroe_SA (https://twitter.com/Monroe_SA)
Popovich on Brown firing: 'from outside looking in he never had a chance to put the team together; that's pretty obvious to anybody'
Pop should just STFU

Has yet to notice that Bonner sucks balls

gameFACE
11-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I can't wait until next weeks game!

Dingle Barry
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Pop should just STFU

Maybe Pop likes getting his balls sucked. Think about it.

slick'81
lol what a fraud

Obstructed_View
Jim Cleamons just came in his pants and phoned his agent.

BatManu20
11-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Was going to happen sooner or later anyways. Guess they decided not to delay the inevitable. He wasn't the right man for the job in the first place. Spurs should re-hire him, from what I understand players really like him (as long as he's not HC).

Jerry Sloan is apparently interested in the job. That'd be a great hire for them. Hopefully he doesn't though, for our sake. Mike D'Antoni is also reportedly a prime candidate, but he just had knee replacement surgery last week and won't be able to coach until late December or early January. I can see Brian Shaw being the next head coach as well. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

hsxvvd
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
He was never a good fit anyway. He wasn't Kobe's pick and like most other teams they are run by their prima donnas.

Eddy from Austin
11-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm all for the Lakers getting it wrong and landing another sucky coach again.

lefty
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm all for the Lakers getting it wrong and landing another sucky coach again.
Unfortunately they will hire a good coach

Those bastards are immune to death, banana skins, ebola virus, etc...

SpurPadre
11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Was going to happen sooner or later anyways. Guess they decided not to delay the inevitable. He wasn't the right man for the job in the first place. Spurs should re-hire him, from what I understand players really like him (as long as he's not HC).

Jerry Sloan is apparently interested in the job. That'd be a great hire for them. Hopefully he doesn't though, for our sake. Mike D'Antoni is also reportedly a prime candidate, but he just had knee replacement surgery last week and won't be able to coach until late December or early January. I can see Brian Shaw being the next head coach as well. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

D'Antoni? Yeah, sure if Jerry Buss wants Kobe and Howard to unlearn how to even spell D-E-F-E-N-S-E

Juggity
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately they will hire a good coach

Those bastards are immune to death, banana skins, ebola virus, etc...

Not immune to HIV tho

lefty
11-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Not immune to HIV tho

:lol

I meant the 2000's Lakers

justinandimcool
11-09-2012, 03:36 PM
can't do it with 4 Hall of Famers :lol QUICK KUPCHAK! NEED MORE HALL OF FAMERS :lol

ftl.

Mugen
11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Not immune to HIV tho

:lmao

BatManu20
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Mike Brown's the real winner here. He's still going to be paid $11 million by the Lakers to buy out his contract. AND he doesn't have to deal with dysfunctional team anymore.

SenorSpur
11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Pop should just STFU

...which also should be obvious to anybody on the outside looking in.

SenorSpur
11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Mike Brown's the real winner here. He's still going to be paid $11 million by the Lakers to buy out his contract. AND he doesn't have to deal with dysfunctional team anymore.

and he could either go back to his interim job at ESPN, as an analyst. Or he could join Pop's staff as a defensive coordinator. Either way, he could double-dip and get 2 paychecks.

SpurPadre
11-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Not immune to HIV tho

If by HIV, do you mean the type only one person in this world has that has him healthier than most human beings and outliving many people in his era that never contracted it?

BillMc
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I wonder how this affects our game with the Lakers next week? Will they be more awake and more motivated, and thus much harder? Probably. Or maybe they'll still be waiting for the new big name coach to arrive, and even more distracted?

It's gotta be the former.

boutons_deux
11-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Panic in Purple Gulch

At least, they don't have to pay the luxury tax :)

ManuTastic
11-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Just let Kobe coach. He already runs the place anyway, tbh.

Maddog
11-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Not sure about Sloan
He did well with his type of players playing his way- not overly flexible
I think Adelman would work best for them

Obstructed_View
11-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I wonder how this affects our game with the Lakers next week? Will they be more awake and more motivated, and thus much harder? Probably. Or maybe they'll still be waiting for the new big name coach to arrive, and even more distracted?

It's gotta be the former.

It's now far less likely that Pop will feel sorry for Mike Brown and sit one or two of his starters.

justinandimcool
11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Should Brown come back to our staff? We won titles with him, tbh.

Drewlius
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I pray that they aren't able to pull off bringing in Jerry Sloan.

dunkman
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
They really miss Phil, tbh . . .

SayTown
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Took lakers 1 year and 5 games to get rid of Brown and seven years later Spurs are still stuck with bonner

SpurPadre
11-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Took lakers 1 year and 5 games to get rid of Brown and seven years later Spurs are still stuck with bonner

If Bonner had signed with the Lakers 7 years ago, Kobe would be facing life imprisonment to this day...

Obstructed_View
11-09-2012, 06:52 PM
If Bonner had signed with the Lakers 7 years ago, Kobe would be facing life imprisonment to this day...

Nah, Bonner would let Kobe finish on his face. That's kind of his thing.

Poolboy5623
11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I was pretty surprised when they first hired brown. To be honest, I was happy because I knew he wouldn't work for them.....with kobes ego problems, you need a coach he's going to respect..which limits you to either guys that have won championships or someone he's had a past relationship with.

silverblackfan
11-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Shame for Brown. I would be surprised if Sloan took the job, due to his demanding ways. I seriously doubt he can handle Sloan yelling at him. On the other hand, Kobe likes to work his ass off, so a demanding coach may be the ticket.
Here's to the Lakers spending the next year learning a new system with a new coach. I hope it derails their talented team even more.:whine

LkrFan
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Not immune to HIV tho

Asshole! :rollin :lmao :rollin

MajicMan
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Mike Monroe ‏@Monroe_SA

Brown was the wrong hire in the first place but he had plenty of time including all of last year. Getting blown out every game this year including pre season dude deserved to get canned. He's fucken clueless, that much was apparent and his rotations were baffling.

Eddy from Austin
11-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Here's to the Lakers spending the next year learning a new system with a new coach. I hope it derails their talented team even more.:whine
:toast

Kidd K
11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
They definitely fired him too early. LA media always shit on Brown though ever since hiring him, so the firing isn't exactly shocking. Whoever they replace him with isn't going to magically be a revelation. The only difference will be that they'll try harder since they got their way.

As for people saying they should replace him with D'Antoni. . .have we forgotten how he got run out of NY for being a failure? One of LA's biggest problems is defense, and D'Antoni doesn't give a shit about it.

Phil Jackson: the guy coasted through his last 2 seasons. He was clearly disinterested in coaching for years, including during their last title run. He'd frequently just sit on the bench spacing out while the Lakers were getting shit on, and wouldn't call a timeout to try and stop a run. Remember the line, "I do my coaching before the game, and let my players coach themselves during it"? Not word for word, but was somethin like that. I remember watching the Lakers get shat upon over and over by the Mavs and I don't think he even called a timeout to stop a run until they were down 0-2 already.

Jerry Sloan's probably the best available choice in terms of coaching ability and intelligence (if he wants to coach again), but he's not going to kiss Kobe and Dwight's asses for them like the other ones would.

timvp
11-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Good move by the Lakers. I think Brown can be a good coach but he doesn't really have the makeup to be in the Lakers limelight. You have to be arrogant and supremely self-confident to succeed there as a head coach. That's just not Brown.

Speaking of Brown, he's been put in two impossible situations. Coaching LeBron without enough of a supporting cast and coaching post-prime Kobe? Not easy ... but I'm sure he can dry his tears with the millions he's made.

As for the Lakers, I think D'Antoni would be a great hire. He'd basically just give Nash the ball and let Howard do whatever he wants on defense. That strategy alone would make the Lakers an extremely difficult out in the playoffs.

If Sloan is willing to put up with Howard and Kobe, he'd be good. Nate McMillan would be a good hire. And obviously, Phil Jackson would be the best hire since he's hands down the best NBA coach of all time. For San Antonio's sake, I hope it's someone other than those four.

bklynspursfan
11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
According to ESPN, Dantoni and Jackson the front runners

99 Problems
11-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Romney.

therealtruth
11-09-2012, 10:23 PM

I've never understood why they continue to pay them. What job pays you for doing a lousy enough job that they have to fire you?

Sean Cagney
11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
According to ESPN, Dantoni and Jackson the front runners

I hope it's D Antoni man, Phil coming back would make them better obviously and their fans would pencil them in for a title and we would have to hear about it all week long long on TV and from their fans on this board. I as a Spurs fan was hoping they would have kept Mike Brown, firing him is good for them and bad for us.

Kidd K
11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
I've never understood why they continue to pay them. What job pays you for doing a lousy enough job that they have to fire you?

It's because they signed him to a contact. Kind of like how you have to buy out your phone or tv company contract to switch providers, even though you're technically just "firing" your provider for providing shitty service.

z0sa
11-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Mitch! Mitch! Mitch!

BatManu20
11-09-2012, 11:15 PM
SportsBlogNewYork ‏@SportsBlogNYC (https://twitter.com/SportsBlogNYC)
BREAKING: sources confirm that Phil Jackson has cancelled all weekend plans and upcoming guest appearances, will meet with LAL front office.

Looks like the Zen Master might be coming back after all. Suck for the rest of the West if he does.

Russo21
11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
That's bloody crazy firing a coach after 5 games. Lakers are spoiled brats.

Kidd K
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
I hope they do hire Phil Jackson. He was extremely disinterested in coaching his last 2 seasons. If he comes back and acts the same way, I don't think it's going to magically turn around into a title.

timvp
11-10-2012, 12:48 AM
The Lakers coaxing Phil Jackson back to the sidelines would be horrible news for the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
The Lakers coaxing Phil Jackson back to the sidelines would be horrible news for the Spurs.

Oh yeah thats an understatement. I was hoping Dantoni at best, now it seems Phil will be the one. If he wants to coach again how can they turn this guy down? Seriously how in the hell could they? If he wants to come back he is there, period.

MajicMan
11-10-2012, 12:59 AM
That's bloody crazy firing a coach after 5 games. Lakers are spoiled brats.

Lakers win by 24 tonight. Clearly it was Mike Brown.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Good move by the Lakers. I think Brown can be a good coach but he doesn't really have the makeup to be in the Lakers limelight. You have to be arrogant and supremely self-confident to succeed there as a head coach. That's just not Brown.

Speaking of Brown, he's been put in two impossible situations. Coaching LeBron without enough of a supporting cast and coaching post-prime Kobe? Not easy ... but I'm sure he can dry his tears with the millions he's made.

As for the Lakers, I think D'Antoni would be a great hire. He'd basically just give Nash the ball and let Howard do whatever he wants on defense. That strategy alone would make the Lakers an extremely difficult out in the playoffs.

the problem is still that wanker of a ballhog kobe who needs to get his at any costs even sacrificing wins....

Obstructed_View
11-10-2012, 01:15 AM

Probably, but almost every NBA team in the history of the world gets an emotional boost from a coaching change.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Oh yeah thats an understatement. I was hoping Dantoni at best, now it seems Phil will be the one. If he wants to coach again how can they turn this guy down? Seriously how in the hell could they? If he wants to come back he is there, period.

how can he turn down coachin a team with 3-4 greats on the roster, this dude is nothing more than an opportunist who jumps onto teams when they have 2 good players at their position....his laiz ze fair coachin style will just allow kobe do whatever he wants again....

Russo21
11-10-2012, 01:18 AM

Well it was against Golden State. That's not saying much

MajicMan
11-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Well it was against Golden State. That's not saying much

But, Mike Brown is still not an elite coach. You guys can have him back.

ElNono
11-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Just the rumor of Phil coming back should have Pop shitting his pants, tbh... can't think of another coach that trolled his ass more than the Zen Master

Splits
11-10-2012, 02:14 AM

CEOs of banks that crashed the global economy.

therealtruth
11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Just the rumor of Phil coming back should have Pop shitting his pants, tbh... can't think of another coach that trolled his ass more than the Zen Master

I agree. But Pop now gets beaten by coaches like Gentry, Hollins, and Brooks. He's been favored against all of those coaches and still dropped the ball.

PÒÓCH
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Lakers are nothing more than attention whores, They love the limelight and if they don't get all that media attention they get butthurt.

Agloco
11-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Keep in mind this "isn't just 5 games". Mike Brown had a damn talented team last year with a top 5 player in Kobe and the best front court in the league in Bynum/Pau and there underperformed then.

It is just five games with this roster though. And, as stated earlier they were on the floor together all of 45 minutes. Kupchak hit the panic button tbh.

Agloco
11-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Clearly. And had they lost by 24, Kupchak surely would have been on the phone with Brown begging him to come back. :rolleyes

boutons_deux
11-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Lakers talkin to Phil Jackson

DPG21920
11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
It is just five games with this roster though. And, as stated earlier they were on the floor together all of 45 minutes. Kupchak hit the panic button tbh.

Whether you want to call it panic or whatever, it was 100% the right decision. They made the wrong hire, saw that it was evident and instead of being PC about it, they worked to immeadiately rectify the situation which is smart. Now the coach will have nearly a full season vs half a season.

MajicMan
11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike Bresnahan‏@Mike_Bresnahan

Quote:
Lakers are moving quickly to hire Phil Jackson, one person in the organization calling it "95%" sure PJ's the next coach of the Lakers.

Quote:
The Lakers plan on meeting with Phil Jackson this morning, The Times has learned. It’s his job if he wants it:

DPG21920
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
He's better than Brown for sure, but we'll see how this works out.

Clipper Nation
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Lakers are moving quickly to hire Phil Jackson, one person in the organization calling it "95%" sure PJ's the next coach of the Lakers.

Quote:
The Lakers plan on meeting with Phil Jackson this morning, The Times has learned. It’s his job if he wants it:
What are the Lakers going to do when Phil's too senile to save the day anymore? Self-contract the franchise?

szkorhetz
11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
PJ just can lose with this.
If he win the title, that's not a big deal. Probably everyone from this forum+ our relatives could win with that Lakers team.
If he lose? He will be mistaken for not being able to build a winning team with 4 hall of famers. I see him accepting the role, but his last season was a total disappointment. He is still trying to use the method he built in the '90s, but the game changed a whole lot. He could not bring any new ideas in the last 10 years.

MajicMan
11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
What are the Lakers going to do when Phil's too senile to save the day anymore? Self-contract the franchise?

Please, "Clipper fan." Shoooo fly! Phil is Kobe's coach. After the Kobe/PJ era it will be the Dwight era and a new coach to be determined.

Lakers are still an older slower team with a scrub bench. They still need to tweak a few things.

Clipper Nation
11-10-2012, 02:01 PM
:cry Please, "Clipper fan." Shoooo fly! Phil is Kobe's coach. :cry
LeBron, CP3, Dirk, Shaq, Wade, etc. don't/didn't need their own personal head coach to win, maybe Kobe should stop being such a drama queen and respect whoever the head coach is...

Lakers are still an older slower team with a scrub bench. They still need to tweak a few things.
They would have to completely blow up the roster to fix that problem, not just "tweak a few things"...

MajicMan
11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
LeBron, CP3, Dirk, Shaq, Wade, etc. don't/didn't need their own personal head coach to win, maybe Kobe should stop being such a drama queen and respect whoever the head coach is...

They would have to completely blow up the roster to fix that problem, not just "tweak a few things"...
Potato head is an idiot much like you. Just........go away Clipper fan. Maybe you guys can win a western conference or something like that one of these days.

Clipper Nation
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
:cry

Bruno
11-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Jackson would a great hiring for Lakers. Even if he isn't that motivated in coaching again, his aura would help them a lot. Lakers have some high quality assistant coaches to do all the time consuming work Jackson might not be willing to do.

MajicMan
11-12-2012, 12:00 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30040122.jpg

Spurs da champs
11-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Lakers go with Mike D'Antoni over the Zen Master. Wow. -- chris palmer (@ESPNChrisPalmer)
:lmao

Vic Petro
11-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Looks like it's D'Antoni:

@Mike_Bresnahan (https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan)
Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson.

Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

Splits
11-12-2012, 03:06 AM
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Lakers are doooooooommmmed!

timvp
11-12-2012, 03:28 AM
I think D'Antoni is a good hire. Perhaps a great hire.

But at least it's not Phil Jackson. Jackson would have been horrible news for the Spurs because he's the one coach who you can say is undoubtedly on another level above Pop. Pop is one of the best to ever do it but when the Spurs went against Jackson, it seemed like Jackson was always thinking two and three steps ahead of Pop.

D'Antoni, on the other hand, is beatable. An improvement over Mike Brown ...... but beatable.

Splits
11-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Phillip 4-1
Pringles 0-3

vs Spurs in playoff series

LkrFan
11-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Phillip 4-1
Pringles 0-3*

vs Spurs in playoff series

* Horry in 2007. Plus Pringles never had a big man better than TD. He does now.

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2012, 04:03 AM
* Horry in 2007. Plus Pringles never had a big man better than TD. He does now.

tell that to the stat whores who still gloat about amares domination in 05 with his +30ppg against duncan in the playoffs, who also got his stats also in that stupid run n gun running up the score sheet

spurraider21
11-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I think D'Antoni is a good hire. Perhaps a great hire.

But at least it's not Phil Jackson. Jackson would have been horrible news for the Spurs because he's the one coach who you can say is undoubtedly on another level above Pop. Pop is one of the best to ever do it but when the Spurs went against Jackson, it seemed like Jackson was always thinking two and three steps ahead of Pop.

D'Antoni, on the other hand, is beatable. An improvement over Mike Brown ...... but beatable.

As far as Phil vs Pop, you could always argue the "more with less" angle. I don't think the Spurs would have won 4 titles with Phil as our coach and with the rosters we had. The Bulls and Lakers are the 2 most profitable NBA team (per Forbes) and thus have had monster budgets

Fabbs
11-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Jackson would have been horrible news for the Spurs because he's the one coach who you can say is undoubtedly on another level above Pop. Pop is one of the best to ever do it but when the Spurs went against Jackson, it seemed like Jackson was always thinking two and three steps ahead of Pop.
or Avery Johnson
or Alvin Gentry
or Rick Carlisle
or Lionel Hollins
or Scott Brooks
because they are the one.....oh wait.

Bruno
11-12-2012, 06:01 AM
The big negative on D'Antoni is that he failed in New York and he could fail too for the same reason with Lakers. I'm not sold on his ability to convince star players to play some kind of defense, on his ability to manage big egos and on his ability to have an offense that please everybody.

D'antoni is a way worse choice than Jackson or Sloan. His hiring is a good news for other teams.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
D'Antoni has never shown an ability or willingness to play his bench, to have any kind of strategy in difficult times, or to even pay attention to defense. Mike Brown, for better or worse, was trying to build a playoff team. The Lakers just hired a regular-season coach.

polandprzem
11-12-2012, 06:53 AM
When NAsh returns LA will score 150 on average

Obstructed_View
11-12-2012, 07:00 AM
But how many will they give up?

Uriel
11-12-2012, 07:12 AM
D'Antoni has never shown an ability or willingness to play his bench, to have any kind of strategy in difficult times, or to even pay attention to defense. Mike Brown, for better or worse, was trying to build a playoff team. The Lakers just hired a regular-season coach.
Considering how the Spurs have been for the past two seasons, this post seems a tad ironic. Besides, bench depth matters less in the playoffs than in the regular season because starters play extended minutes. Case in point, when Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili were all on the floor at the same time against the Thunder in the playoffs last season, we outscored them. But they won anyway because they were able to play their stars longer minutes than ours.

Uriel
11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
On another note, would it be possible to sign Mike Brown as an assistant coach for the rest of the season?

Obstructed_View
11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Considering how the Spurs have been for the past two seasons, this post seems a tad ironic.
I respectfully disagree. The Spurs were a high-scoring team that didn't win the championship last year, and that's about the end of the comparison. With Phoenix, D'Antoni had between six and eight guys in his rotation playing heavy minutes for the entire season and backups with little experience or time with their teammates. I remember his backups even complaining about getting any practice time. His sideline speeches during crunch time in the playoffs consisted of "Let's go, guys" or "Go get em". He didn't even draw up plays. He wasn't able to recognize favorable matchups like Kurt Thomas on Duncan in the post because he only saw the drop in offense.

The closest comparison to D'Antoni would be three or four years ago when Pop thought he could make up for defensive deficiencies and lack of easy baskets with more three point attempts. Now we might blame D'Antoni's influence on that experiment, as his teams were so good at hitting threes within the flow of a quick offense that Pop thought he could do it in the half court.

On another note, would it be possible to sign Mike Brown as an assistant coach for the rest of the season?

I'd be for that.

therealtruth
11-12-2012, 09:10 AM
or Avery Johnson
or Alvin Gentry
or Rick Carlisle
or Lionel Hollins
or Scott Brooks
because they are the one.....oh wait.

Pop got revenge against Carlisle in '10. Gentry, Hollins, and Brooks I would says legitimately out coached him. But seriously the Spurs dodged a bullet by the Lakers choosing D'Antoni. The guy can't coach defense and offense only isn't going to work. Plus Gasol can't shoot 3's consistently to space the floor.

therealtruth
11-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

Hard to fault him. He had the leverage. It's not like they're going to get the same thing by chosing D'Antoni. The only thing they get is reuniting Nash and D'Antoni. I can't wait till the Lakers start complaining they need to get better defensively.