PDA

View Full Version : Three Ball...

SequSpur
11-09-2012, 11:46 PM
The Spurs jack up way too many three pointers... This just goes to show the lack of offensive skills Pop has as a Coach.

thekingrobert
11-10-2012, 12:30 AM
when they make them this is a non issue

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 12:50 AM
remember the season live by the 3, die by the 3...that fkn fail really bad like small ball

Stabula
11-10-2012, 12:50 AM
The Spurs just need to realize when it's not falling for them. Spurs can hit the three as good as anybody but when it's obvious they're cold from the arc they need to realize it and get inside the paint.

Sean Cagney
11-10-2012, 12:54 AM
This is nothing new at all, it has been this way for years now and I was sick of it years ago. They had a good run last year yes, but they shoot way too many threes IMO and they will fall by it again if they keep it up.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 12:57 AM
would like to see diaw improve his jumper, dude hasnt hit shit this season besides most of his points come from layup drills when the defender is lost on the court defensively, if he could hit that midrange effectively, then players would continue to defend him further out continue to spread that floor

Stabula
11-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I want to see Leonard hit his open threes consistently.

BatManu20
11-10-2012, 01:04 AM
would like to see diaw improve his jumper, dude hasnt hit shit this season besides most of his points come from layup drills when the defender is lost on the court defensively, if he could hit that midrange effectively, then players would continue to defend him further out continue to spread that floor

This. Diaw sucks at shooting 3's yet he continue to chuck em up. There's a reason he's always wide open. He couldn't throw a ball into the ocean right now tbh. Coaches need to remind him of this. It's shame too cause if he could that would open up the floor so much more.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 01:14 AM

his doing too much when he has the ball, maybe decision making is not catching up what he wants to do out there....

when his not scoring and just filling out other stat columns, he reminds me of prime pippen/ghill33 being a point foward defensively

imo he can dominate games if he wanted to, but we dont need that from him cause of t he scorers on the team who need to get hot b4 he does, the scoring production will eventually come to him when he settles into the game...

cd021
11-11-2012, 10:40 PM
The Spurs jack up way too many three pointers... This just goes to show the lack of offensive skills Pop has as a Coach.

They were the most efficient offense team last season....Now thats a lack of offensive skills.

cd021
11-11-2012, 10:42 PM

League average last season 34.7%
Leonard 37.3 %

Two10Whitey
11-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't care about those numbers. Kawhi is clearly struggling from three. His defense and rebounding makes up for it though.

DMC
11-11-2012, 11:44 PM
The 3 ball is the Spurs' bread and butter and has nothing to do with what they need to improve on. Shots will either drop or they won't. They need to improve on reducing turnovers. Imagine the 21 turnovers being shots, even at 20% from 3 that would be 16 extra points. You hit 0% of the shots you don't take, and a turnover is worse than a missed shot. At least someone gets an opportunity at an offensive board with a shot, and there's always more that can happen with penalties and such. They have to stop turning the ball over. Forget the 3pt shooting thing, it's a cold trail.

superbigtime
11-12-2012, 11:22 PM

Spurs have unathletic shooters for the most part, and those are the types of players who shoot the long ball. Of course it IS the unimaginative coach who is also the GM who is responsible for the crew playing ball for this franchise.

Drz
11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
The Spurs are 18th of 30 teams in 3 pointers attempted per game.

Solid D
11-13-2012, 12:22 AM
The Spurs are 18th of 30 teams in 3 pointers attempted per game.

/thread

http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/img/md/K/Road-Closed-Sign-K-6497.gif

bklynspursfan
11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Thru 7 games they've attempted 26 less 3's than they did at this time last year. It's actually felt like they have too, they are definitely going to TD in the post more.

First 7 games last year you can see some games they shot an incredibly large amount of 3's.

2011-2012

1- 10/33
2- 10/19
3- 2/17
4- 10/16
5- 7/20
6- 10/17
7- 16/33

Total

65/155 - 41%

This year thought the % is down, they're still winning ball games, probably because of TD's play, and dare I say... Defense? Also not having RJ I think makes a difference, we see Jack/Kawhi do more driving to the basket than he did, especially Jack who likes to post up when he's got a smaller defender on him.

2012-2013

1- 6/20
2- 5/19
3- 7/13
4- 8/18
5- 8/23
6- 5/18
7- 7/18

Total

46/129 35%

Seventyniner
11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
^Good point about RJ. Jacking up 3s was about all he was good for.

Kidd K
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Jacking up 3s got us a win against Portland. I'm glad we have that ability.

I agree with Stabula's comment though, the only issue I see with the Spurs is that they (certain players, perhaps with Pop telling them to do so) continue to jack it up when they aren't making anything. 2, 3, 4 straight possessions of settling for threes, for all of them to come up empty. I think that sorta thing needs to stop and Pop needs to learn when to mix it up more. Sometimes it kinda feels like Pop's gambleing, where he keeps saying "double or nothing!" hoping he'll eventually win to get his money back and that a three or two will fall.

Other than the occaisional settling for threes for extended periods of time and not making them, I don't see any issue at all with the number of threes we take over the course of a game. Of course, that's gonna go up when Manu's playing more. But our % should too.

Solid D
11-14-2012, 01:51 AM
The Spurs just win their third close game on clutch 3 point shots and offensive plays drawn up by the coach.

This thread is self-cancelling.

DMC
11-14-2012, 11:47 PM
The LA game was a good example of how reducing turnovers is much more important than reducing 3pt attempts. We have 8 turnovers. Howard had 6 alone. I don't remember the last time we only had 8 turnovers. I think we had more steals than turnovers. Add to that the fact that the three is what kept us around and what eventually pushed us over the top, and you can see that the 3pt shot is valuable. Sure you have to have a post game, and play inside out, but you cannot turn down wide open looks if you get them unless you aren't a 3pt shooter. Most of our guys are 3pt shooters though.

PÒÓCH
11-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Shooting 3's is a way to spread the floor, It keeps the defense away from the basket allowing timmeh to do his work down low. I'm ok with the numbers being down (percentage wise), that means that they can only get better. Some of this could possibly be attributed to Bonner and Ginobli not playing as many minutes this season so far.