PDA

View Full Version : 5 Trades That Could Help The Spurs...

cd021
11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
1. Dejuan Blair, Gary Neal For Patrick Patterson
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aczbwdd
Spurs would essentially be trading for Patterson to replace Blair. Patterson is 6'9 with a 7 1/2 arm span. He has lottery talent and is physical in the post. He has yet to find a a consistent spot in Houston. Blair giver Lin and Harden a good pick and roll finisher Blair is fairly athletic and can maneuver in midair to avoid getting his shot blocked. also a great offensive rebounder. Neal is a lethal scorer who has yet to average more than 20 minutes a game but has average 9pts and shoots 40% 3pt for his career. Blair is unrestricted FA and will likely walk Neal will likely receive a 3-4 year offer worth about $12-15 as a RFA. Patterson has another season for $3+ million.

2. Stephen Jackson, Dejuan Blair and Gary Neal for Al Jefferson & a future 2nd round pick
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bsjh7j8
By acquiring Jefferson the Spurs would have the inside track to resign him for a 5 year deal in the off-season. He could give the Spurs a consistent low post option and a solid rebounder. He also is a fan of Duncan and will be able to play along side him. Jefferson has been in the NBA since 2004 (8 seasons) yet has made the post season once and was swept out. A trip to the Conference Finals and beyond could influence him to stay.

Jackson is an expiring contract (like Jefferson). They likely won't keep Jefferson because Favors is younger, rapidly improving and extremely cheap. Jackson could be a rental for Utah, He plays the year out and is off the books. Blair and Neal would be in the same situation both could be gone at the end of the season but if they impress the could both be brought back for relatively cheap prices. Neal would fit well in Utah, Utah lacks great perimeter scoring and he is that.

3. Tiago Splitter, Matt Bonner, Cory Joseph for Tyrus Thomas
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b36w6pq

This would be the most drastic of the 5 trade idea's. Splitter is viewed as Duncan's eventual replacement, Joseph as potentially Parkers and Bonner is ....Bonner.

Tyrus Thomas is a PF however can defend some wings (possibly Dirk or Durant). He is very athletic and has long arms as well. He could be very useful defending the pick and roll and has always been a solid shot blocker. Keeping Jackson in this deal would also be a great bonus. As the spurs could occasionally go big with a Parker, Leonard, Jackson, Thomas, Duncan lineup that could force turnovers and have just enough offense to outscore their opponents. (especially if Manu gets injured again)

The Bobcats would get a talented, but inconsistent, Center who would become by far their best big man. He is an excellent pick and roll player and could, given enough playing time turn into someone like Gortat on Phoenix. If they like him the can offer him a qualifying offer and match any offer that seems reasonable. Matt Bonner is for the most part in this trade for the salary. He would essentially be there to the end of the season. He could be waived afterward for $1 million dollars. Joseph provides the Bobcats with young talent (they don't have a ton of it) He could recieve semi consistent playing time in the NBA instead of the D- League. He also would seem to fit with The Bobcats defensive team. The Bobcats could also save more than $20 million dollars should the let all three walk next off season. By Moving Thomas they could also have enough cap space to sign talented role players to add depth around their draft picks (like the Hornets).

4. Gary Neal, Matt Bonner & A 2nd round pick for Jason Thompson
The Kings have alot of "depth" on their roster. They have 3 point guards, 2 are starting caliber PGs ( Thomas, Freddette, Brooks). 6 wings, 4 of which make more than $5 million (Thorton, Salmons, Evans, Garcia, & Outlaw) and 6 bigs (including Cousins, Robinson, ,Thompson, & Hayes, ). They resigned Thompson to a 5 year deal so he can't be traded until January.

The problem is that he will be splitting time with a better player in Robinson who will likely play alot of minutes as a rookie. They also have to decide if they are going to match Evans (the Rockets might force them to overpay to keep him). By moving Thompson for Neal and Bonner they get cap relief Neal may end up impressing and resigning in the off season especially if Evans leaves and Freddette gets traded. Bonner could be waived for $1 million dollars.

Thompson is 6'10 agile and athletic for a big man. He isn't known for his defense but could learn basic help and rotation defense. His career numbers; 27 min, 10.7ppg, 7.2rpg, .8 bpgs. would be perfect off the bench.

5. Matt Bonner for Joell Anthony and a 2nd round Pick.
The heat get a player who arguable to best stretch big man in the NBA his career 3pt % is 41.6% (last seasons league average was 34.7%). He could be valuable is small minutes especially in small ball lineups. He would save them $2.8 million if he is waived before next season. Anthony gives the Spurs a shot blocker who is a decent rebounder. He also rotates well and could cover the weak side. The Spurs would also get a 2nd rounder to potentially draft and stash. The Spurs would lose some cap flexibility because Anthony has a $3.8 million player option that he will pick up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-10-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't see anything there that's a difference-maker for the Spurs except the Jefferson trade, and no way Utah takes that little for him.

I'd look to trade Splitter and pieces for Varejao (who is apparently available) or Ilyasova (slow start, maybe Bucks would move him but probably not).

timtonymanu
11-10-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm a little skeptical on the Spurs taking another Jefferson.

SanDiegoSpursFan
11-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Tyrus Thomas is a bad player.

BadOne
11-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Am I mistaken, or didn't we just win? What inspired the trade thread? 5-1

freetiago
11-10-2012, 12:54 AM
The only realistic trade partners for the spurs would be houston bucks and minnesota
spurs could get udoh/sanders/henson/dalembert from the bucks since theyre loaded in the frontcourt
houston has royce white/montejeunas/terrence
minnesota will probably be looking to trade derrick williams

all 3 teams need more depth on the wing and have abundance of young forwards who need more minutes then theyll get

siraulo23
11-10-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm a little skeptical on the Spurs taking another Jefferson.

ha

SenorSpur
11-10-2012, 09:15 AM
For anyone who has watched Tyrus Thomas play in the past year, then you'd know why trade option #3, while the most drastic of the trade options, is also the most ridiculous. As someone stated earlier, Thomas has devolved into a bad player as isn't worth even half of what was proposed in that trade scenario.

outmap
11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Would a Blair + Neal + 1st rd pick work to get Ed Davis?

cd021
11-10-2012, 10:15 AM
For anyone who has watched Tyrus Thomas play in the past year, then you'd know why trade option #3, while the most drastic of the trade options, is also the most ridiculous. As someone stated earlier, Thomas has devolved into a bad player as isn't worth even half of what was proposed in that trade scenario.

I disagree. He isn't nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. In limited minutes he's averaging 7.3 ppg & 1.3 bpg off the bench. He has a history of producing in limited minutes. He's Derrick Brown but more talented and less question marks. The only reason why i would hesitate is because of his two years $17 million remaining deal. But worst case scenario he could be amnestied.

cd021
11-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Am I mistaken, or didn't we just win? What inspired the trade thread? 5-1
Alot of free time on my hands and the internet at my disposal.
I actually really like our squad overall
but just wanted to look into some move that were possible.

cd021
11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Would a Blair + Neal + 1st rd pick work to get Ed Davis?

A 1st round pick would be a little much. Davis ,at least this season, hasn't been very good but Blair is likely gone and Neal could cost $4 million a season after he hits RFA.

sananspursfan21
11-10-2012, 10:51 AM

his problem is motivation though isn't it? just like diaw, who the heck wants to try when they're in charlotte? i mean, i'm still not sold on him and wouldn't want to roll the dice, but i'm sure his downfalls are mostly a matter of effort

sananspursfan21
11-10-2012, 10:52 AM
:lol @ kings taking bonner in scenario 4 for jason thompson

SenorSpur
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I disagree. He isn't nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. In limited minutes he's averaging 7.3 ppg & 1.3 bpg off the bench. He has a history of producing in limited minutes. He's Derrick Brown but more talented and less question marks. The only reason why i would hesitate is because of his two years $17 million remaining deal. But worst case scenario he could be amnestied.

I was all in for him a couple of years ago, when he was in Chicago and when rumors of the Spurs interest became public. Don't get me wrong, compared to Bonner, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I just don't thing you give up the kind of assets you're talking about in exchange for Thomas, as this point in his career.

SenorSpur
11-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Spurs would essentially be trading for Patterson to replace Blair. Patterson is 6'9 with a 7 1/2 arm span. He has lottery talent and is physical in the post. He has yet to find a a consistent spot in Houston. Blair giver Lin and Harden a good pick and roll finisher Blair is fairly athletic and can maneuver in midair to avoid getting his shot blocked. also a great offensive rebounder. Neal is a lethal scorer who has yet to average more than 20 minutes a game but has average 9pts and shoots 40% 3pt for his career. Blair is unrestricted FA and will likely walk Neal will likely receive a 3-4 year offer worth about $12-15 as a RFA. Patterson has another season for $3+ million.

This trade scenario is the one that makes the most sense.

DPG21920
11-10-2012, 01:25 PM

He cannot be amnestied.

DPG21920
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
How is Amir Johnson not available? I mean, they have Bargnani, Valanciunas, Ed Davis, Gray, & McGuire. He isn't playing a lot, & they could definitely use some guard depth and shooting which the Spurs have.

BadOne
11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Alot of free time on my hands and the internet at my disposal.
I actually really like our squad overall
but just wanted to look into some move that were possible.

Ah...Gotcha...

spurraider21
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Tyrus Thomas? lol. the AL Jefferson deal would never happen. I would love to see Patrick Patterson but Houston likes him, so I don't see that happening either. The Varejao trade would be great short term, and I guess with Duncan's age thats what we're shooting for. I see no reason for Cleveland to pull the trigger based on how well he's played this year

cd021
11-10-2012, 04:15 PM
He cannot be amnestied.

I thought his contract was apart of the old CBA. Am i wrong?

cd021
11-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I was all in for him a couple of years ago, when he was in Chicago and when rumors of the Spurs interest became public. Don't get me wrong, compared to Bonner, I'd take him in a heartbeat. I just don't thing you give up the kind of assets you're talking about in exchange for Thomas, as this point in his career.

Fair enough. I just think that his versatility is an asset and with the right coach and system he's would be worth a shot.

DPG21920
11-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I thought his contract was apart of the old CBA. Am i wrong?

If a player is traded, then the option to amnesty goes away. They have to be with their original team that gave them the current contract in order for the amnesty to be used.

cd021
11-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Tyrus Thomas? lol. the AL Jefferson deal would never happen. I would love to see Patrick Patterson but Houston likes him, so I don't see that happening either. The Varejao trade would be great short term, and I guess with Duncan's age thats what we're shooting for. I see no reason for Cleveland to pull the trigger based on how well he's played this year

They can't keep both Jefferson and Milsap there long term. Might as well move the best of the two before he walks in Free agency. That being said another team could make a better offer. Varejao is definitely a short term option but he contract expires the same time Duncan's does ,i believe.

Poolboy5623
11-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I doubt many spurs fans want to trade jax, but with his current contract he's more than likely going to have to be a trade piece. No other teams want Bonner/Blair. I have been saying this for years now. If anyone wanted either, they'd be gone by now...I'd prefer Jackson stays, unless he's involved in a trade that brings a defensive big. If they can make it happen..he gets sent packing imo.

CGD
11-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow trade proposals on this forum that dont involve Anderson Varejao . . . :wow

maverick1948
11-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Houston would be the best partner for a trade. A true logjam at PF with 6 on their roster along with 2 centers. At this time, our two best trade chips are Neal and Blair. Both are getting minutes and trying to showcase their talent. Neal has done a good job at that. He would return more than Blair as he has been working on his PG skills as well as SG. The rockets need a backup for both PG and SG. Toney Douglas at PG and Daequan Cook at SG and then a rookie. Money plays an important part in making a trade with Neal. His contract is so small that it is hard to make the dollars meet. The rockets have 3 rookies plus 2 2nd year players. The dollars work for Neal for Motiejunas or Smith. We would have to figure a deal that would add more from us to get Jones, White or Morris. Unless we get back a 1st round pick plus, I dont think we use Cory Joseph in the trade. We have spent too much on him learning to be a PG. If Houston wants to give up Morris then we have to consider what we would be willing to part with. To me, Morris is their best PF not Patterson.

cd021
11-10-2012, 11:08 PM
If a player is traded, then the option to amnesty goes away. They have to be with their original team that gave them the current contract in order for the amnesty to be used.

Didn't know that. I may not be in favor of the Tyrus Thomas trade them.

tim210g
11-11-2012, 12:53 AM
All those trades suck tbh

2. Stephen Jackson, Dejuan Blair and Gary Neal for Al Jefferson & a future 2nd round pick
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bsjh7j8
By acquiring Jefferson the Spurs would have the inside track to resign him for a 5 year deal in the off-season. He could give the Spurs a consistent low post option and a solid rebounder. He also is a fan of Duncan and will be able to play along side him. Jefferson has been in the NBA since 2004 (8 seasons) yet has made the post season once and was swept out. A trip to the Conference Finals and beyond could influence him to stay.

Jackson is an expiring contract (like Jefferson). They likely won't keep Jefferson because Favors is younger, rapidly improving and extremely cheap. Jackson could be a rental for Utah, He plays the year out and is off the books. Blair and Neal would be in the same situation both could be gone at the end of the season but if they impress the could both be brought back for relatively cheap prices. Neal would fit well in Utah, Utah lacks great perimeter scoring and he is that.

3. Tiago Splitter, Matt Bonner, Cory Joseph for Tyrus Thomas
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b36w6pq

This would be the most drastic of the 5 trade idea's. Splitter is viewed as Duncan's eventual replacement, Joseph as potentially Parkers and Bonner is ....Bonner.

Tyrus Thomas is a PF however can defend some wings (possibly Dirk or Durant). He is very athletic and has long arms as well. He could be very useful defending the pick and roll and has always been a solid shot blocker. Keeping Jackson in this deal would also be a great bonus. As the spurs could occasionally go big with a Parker, Leonard, Jackson, Thomas, Duncan lineup that could force turnovers and have just enough offense to outscore their opponents. (especially if Manu gets injured again)

The Bobcats would get a talented, but inconsistent, Center who would become by far their best big man. He is an excellent pick and roll player and could, given enough playing time turn into someone like Gortat on Phoenix. If they like him the can offer him a qualifying offer and match any offer that seems reasonable. Matt Bonner is for the most part in this trade for the salary. He would essentially be there to the end of the season. He could be waived afterward for $1 million dollars. Joseph provides the Bobcats with young talent (they don't have a ton of it) He could recieve semi consistent playing time in the NBA instead of the D- League. He also would seem to fit with The Bobcats defensive team. The Bobcats could also save more than $20 million dollars should the let all three walk next off season. By Moving Thomas they could also have enough cap space to sign talented role players to add depth around their draft picks (like the Hornets).

4. Gary Neal, Matt Bonner & A 2nd round pick for Jason Thompson
The Kings have alot of "depth" on their roster. They have 3 point guards, 2 are starting caliber PGs ( Thomas, Freddette, Brooks). 6 wings, 4 of which make more than $5 million (Thorton, Salmons, Evans, Garcia, & Outlaw) and 6 bigs (including Cousins, Robinson, ,Thompson, & Hayes, ). They resigned Thompson to a 5 year deal so he can't be traded until January.

The problem is that he will be splitting time with a better player in Robinson who will likely play alot of minutes as a rookie. They also have to decide if they are going to match Evans (the Rockets might force them to overpay to keep him). By moving Thompson for Neal and Bonner they get cap relief Neal may end up impressing and resigning in the off season especially if Evans leaves and Freddette gets traded. Bonner could be waived for $1 million dollars.

Thompson is 6'10 agile and athletic for a big man. He isn't known for his defense but could learn basic help and rotation defense. His career numbers; 27 min, 10.7ppg, 7.2rpg, .8 bpgs. would be perfect off the bench.

5. Matt Bonner for Joell Anthony and a 2nd round Pick.
The heat get a player who arguable to best stretch big man in the NBA his career 3pt % is 41.6% (last seasons league average was 34.7%). He could be valuable is small minutes especially in small ball lineups. He would save them $2.8 million if he is waived before next season. Anthony gives the Spurs a shot blocker who is a decent rebounder. He also rotates well and could cover the weak side. The Spurs would also get a 2nd rounder to potentially draft and stash. The Spurs would lose some cap flexibility because Anthony has a $3.8 million player option that he will pick up.

BackHome
11-11-2012, 01:38 AM
This team is like fools gold it looks good now but come playoff time we are getting are butts kicked. We need a decent big who can rebound/block shots/and have a can slam dunk.

cd021
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
This team is like fools gold it looks good now but come playoff time we are getting are butts kicked. We need a decent big who can rebound/block shots/and have a can slam dunk.

I completely disagree. We didn't need a big man against the Thunder. We needed Green to not miss most of his shots, giving OKC the go ahead to switch Sef. on Parker. That was what really cost up the series Parker couldn't attack the rim with Thabo and Collision stopping him from getting their. Green has played lights out, Diaw has been great and Duncan is off the the best start of his career. Thats the opposite of fools gold.

TD 21
11-11-2012, 10:53 PM
1. The Spurs need to aim higher than Patterson. They've got the assets to acquire an impact big and he doesn't quality as that. He's not good enough for them to play their final hand (by sacrificing some of those assets) of the Duncan era on.

2. Jefferson is an atrocious defender in space and can only defend centers, so he wouldn't be a fit next to Duncan. Even if that wasn't the case, that paltry package wouldn't get it done.

3. Thomas has no trade value at this point. The Bobcats would gladly take Jackson's expiring contract straight up if it meant dumping Thomas and they'd throw in Taylor and probably even their 2nd, too.

4. Similar to Patterson, the Spurs need to aim higher than Thompson. Given the contract the Kings just rewarded him with (it was 3 years, not 5), it's clear they're not looking to move him. If they were, it would more than likely be for a 3, not a sub par package that would further overload their already overloaded back court.

5. I can't think of a word to adequately describe how much higher the Spurs need to aim than Anthony, who'd hurt them on (by destroying their spacing) and off (by hurting their financial flexibility) the court.

If they make a trade, I suspect it'll be for Varejao. Other candidates from most to least likely: Millsap, Patterson, Smith.

szkorhetz
11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Guys, what about trading Jax +Splitter+bonner for Amare?I know, he is way overpaid, injury prone, bad rebounder and below avarage defender at the best. He is not as athletic as he Was in 2005 but, still got it. He has a legit outside jumper, still a huge body and at this point of his career he seems to be a relatively good fit. I know, he would mess up our salary cap for the next couple of years, but if we want to give everything for TD, MG and pop in their last years, this should get it done. He is a bad fit next to Melo, and getting 15 millions of expiring contracts+ the 3 millions of Bonner could get the Knicks interested instead of paying the bad fit Stat 20 millions. I would hate to trade Jax away, but with our current assets, This is the best available solution in my eyes.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2012, 07:01 AM
The good news about acquiring Amare is that he makes a team better when he's out. And he is injury prone. Hmmmm...

spursnatic
11-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Let's please not do the Miami deal..Bonner will get another Ring, then SPURS FO will re-sign him next year to a 10 year deal as if they cannot live without him...

DapDaGenius
11-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Guys, what about trading Jax +Splitter+bonner for Amare?

No.

cd021
11-12-2012, 08:20 AM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHUT IT DOWN!!!

superbigtime
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Trading Gary Neal is stupid. It's like trading away 5 wins.

The_Worlds_finest
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Why do people think Pop would actually trade Jax off after he spent nearly 10 years trying to get him back?

Mark in Austin
11-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Al Jefferson would be good for defending Andrew Bogut. That's about it. No way Spurs ever trade assets for him & pay that much money for a guy who can't defend.

deibero
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
only good trade is splitter and bonner for varejao...

is good for both teams, and even though splitter is younger i think either way he will be walking next season...

he has 15 and 8 potential playing 30mpg on another team, instead of 15mpg for pop

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
#3 is probably the worst trade idea I've ever read on ST, good job

cd021
11-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Al Jefferson would be good for defending Andrew Bogut. That's about it. No way Spurs ever trade assets for him & pay that much money for a guy who can't defend.

Richard Jefferson $10 million a season

cd021
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Trading Gary Neal is stupid. It's like trading away 5 wins.

Win Shares
Gary Neal-2.3 Win Share Average in 3 Seasons as a Spur
Matt Bonner-3.2 Win Share Average in 7 Seasons as a Spur

Yeah but 5 wins is pretty close to 2.3 wins

will_spurs
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Ok, let's try to come up with even more ridiculous trade ideas: Manu + Bonner for Pau Gasol. After all, now that they have d'Antoni, the Lakers need shooters who can space the floor :D

cd021
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Someone actually wanted to trade for Amare at the top of the page. The Tyrus Thomas deal is actually a good deal no matter how over the top your reaction is.

Keeping Jackson, Moving Splitter instead of paying him 5.5 million qualifying offer, receiving an athletic and versatile shot blocker.

PhingerRoll
11-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Why in the hell do people keep wanting to trade Gary Neal? It makes no sense at all...