PDA

View Full Version : Does Mills deserve more time?

AussieFanKurt
11-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Does he deserve more time after this game? Maybe take Neal's time

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2012, 01:38 AM
whose going to wave the towel or first man of the bench to hi5 players?

ThePop
11-10-2012, 01:40 AM
whose going to wave the towel or first man of the bench to hi5 players?

Bonner

Seriously though, yes he should take some of Neal's time until he is eventually THE backup PG.

AussieFanKurt
11-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Haha yeah someone else can. It just shows what Mills can do when given some confidence and some time

Stabula
11-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Does he deserve more time after this game?

Uh...yeah!

KL2
11-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Although Neal may provide instant offense at times he pretty much gives up whatever he contributes offensively with his poor defense. Mills is not a great defender either but he's MUCH faster laterally than Neal, guys blow by Neal all the damn time. Mills also runs the offense much better, is a better passer as well.

Mills looks extremely energetic out there, like he's all over the place defensively. I think this is due to a lack of pt, he plays out of control because he's trying to impress the coaching staff. Should he regularly get minutes I think he will calm down allowing him to be much more effective.

Stabula
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Mills looks better than Parker did at his age.

Fabbs
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm sure Pop will make the right decision.

Kidd K
11-10-2012, 02:17 AM
He does I think, because he has shown the most potential out of all of out PGs/undersized SGs.

I don't think he'll end up turning into a legit PG at some point over the course of the season if Pop just throws him into the fire. It's not like Ford, where he had a ton of experience, and it was just a matter of time when he'd handle the offense properly (which he started to do before the injuries). Mills completely has to learn how to handle a real NBA offense. He barely has a thousand NBA minutes under his belt. Most of which came in garbage time for the Blazers a couple years ago.

But I think he should be getting the lion's share of the backup PG minutes to help his progression for future seasons. Even for just this year, his potential is a hell of a lot higher than Neal's at everything but scoring.

Mills was also pretty impressive during the olympics.

Stabula
11-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Even for just this year, his potential is a hell of a lot higher than Neal's at everything but scoring.

I think his potential as a scorer is better than Neal tbh

spurs10
11-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Tomorrow night will likely be "The Patty Mills Show" with a lot people warming the bench or at the hotel......

sananspursfan21
11-10-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm sure Pop will make the right decision.

Sarcasmic Blue ^

timvp
11-10-2012, 02:42 AM

http://dailyelements.com/popserious.jpg

jestersmash
11-10-2012, 02:49 AM

Parker was winning championships with Finals MVP accolades at Mills current age (+/- a year), tbh.

Stabula
11-10-2012, 03:03 AM
I actually thought Mills was younger than he actually is. I worded it wrong in that case. Mills looks better than Parker did with his current amount of NBA experience.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Tomorrow night will likely be "The Patty Mills Show" with a lot people warming the bench or at the hotel......

Predicting a Steve Smith game?

capek
11-10-2012, 03:27 AM
http://dailyelements.com/popserious.jpg

Spursfan sets it up, timvp knocks it down. Internet forum comedy gold tbh

Sean Cagney
11-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Over Neal at backup PG hell yeah, no doubt at all .

ChuckD
11-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Does he deserve more time after this game? Maybe take Neal's time

Every minute of it. I think he's actually a better shooter than Gary, and that's Gary's best skill. Ball handling isn't even a contest.

Raven
11-10-2012, 09:49 AM
not really.

thekingrobert
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes, I get blood pressure everytime I see Neal handling the ball

Neal sadly has better handles than Mills

freetiago
11-11-2012, 12:46 AM
neals and mills are the same player basically
mills is better at getting to the rim
neals is better at mid range and 3 ball but both are scorers
mills fools people into thinking he plays good D since he picks up full court but he doesnt really pressure the ball handler
pop coud just see which one is hotter and play them more minutes that night

mercos
11-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Neither Neal nor Mills are true point guards. That being said, they are backups, and either are serviceable. Can't expect to have a Tony Parker coming off the bench. Neal can always explode and give you a game like tonight, and Mills is capable of big games as well.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Mills looks better than Parker did at his age.lol spurfan

Gagnrath
11-11-2012, 05:51 PM
What happens if the spurs say to hell with it on guarding guards, put Jackson in at the 3, and put in two defensive bigs for the second team? I mean sure the spurs would have to find a pair of big men that are ok with only clean up points, rebounding and playing defense but it would probably work. Maybe they could trade bonner and blair for said defensive bigs. I seem to remember a few offensively challenged big's being available over the last few years.

MI21
11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Why stop there, Mills looks even better than Duncan at this age/stage of career.

benfti
11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Neal sadly has better handles than Mills

No, he does not.

MI21
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
No, he does not.

It's close. Neal has better dribble moves but a looser handle everywhere else. Mills is pretty limited with his moves, probably because he has never needed them much due to speed, but his handle in general is a bit tighter in straight lines and in traffic.

Raven
11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Neither Neal nor Mills are true point guards. That being said, they are backups, and either are serviceable. Can't expect to have a Tony Parker coming off the bench. Neal can always explode and give you a game like tonight, and Mills is capable of big games as well.

well neal is 6-4 and mills is 6-0, so mills can only be a pg while neal is a pure sg but is playing a bit of a pg with manu since he is the passer anyway, the only thing neal does is to get the ball to the other side of the court. The real problem is the defensive matchups, since neal can't guard the speed of an nba pg.

will_spurs
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I actually thought Mills was younger than he actually is. I worded it wrong in that case. Mills looks better than Parker did with his current amount of NBA experience.

Given that Pop gave Parker the reins of the team after only 5 games into his rookie season, and that the Spurs were a championship caliber team back then (and have been ever since), I'm pretty sure your 2nd assessment is as colored with pink glasses as the 1st.

timvp
11-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Rookie prepubescent Parker >>>>> Mills

As for this thread subject, it's difficult for me to advocate taking Neal out of the rotation in order to insert Mills. I like Mills but Neal has been pretty darn good this season (outside of the Clippers game). And if Neal has genuinely improved his defense, I don't see an area where Mills is that much better than Neal.

Manu-of-steel
11-13-2012, 02:00 AM

Everyone alive has blood pressure. You're dead if you don't have one.:toast

benfti
11-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Rookie prepubescent Parker >>>>> Mills

As for this thread subject, it's difficult for me to advocate taking Neal out of the rotation in order to insert Mills. I like Mills but Neal has been pretty darn good this season (outside of the Clippers game). And if Neal has genuinely improved his defense, I don't see an area where Mills is that much better than Neal.

Agree with this, that being said I kind of like the idea of whilst the team still has the amazing experience of the big 3, I see long term futures with Patty, Kawai, Nando and Tiago as guys we can build the new team post Duncan and Manu around. Neal to me seems like a bit of a beacon in the night sky, some nights he looks great but he will be gone by the morning.

Does anyone else see this. Unpopular view but I really can see with the right coaching and opportunity Mills could run a team, he did it so well at the Olympics and is still easily young enough to be moulded

Rapper
11-13-2012, 05:38 AM

But everytime Neal makes it