PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: D'Antoni to Lakers..

Malik Hairston
11-12-2012, 02:56 AM
According to the LA Times and Adande, 4 year deal..

Solid move for LA, if true..

Malik Hairston
11-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Apparently, Phil Jackson's demands were too steep..

LkrFan
11-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Not sure how I feel about this tbh. Transition defense and TOs were the main two problems with this team. Not offense.

Spurs da champs
11-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Lakers go with Mike D'Antoni over the Zen Master. Wow. -- chris palmer (@ESPNChrisPalmer)
:lol

Samuel Eto'o
11-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Not sure how I feel about this tbh.

You should feel fucking awful because this is a huge blow to your teams title chances.

venky
11-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Terrible move imo.

Spurs da champs
11-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I thought he had knee surgery?

InRareForm
11-12-2012, 03:10 AM
haha i hate the lakers but I like the boldness with their decisions... fuck you brown, and fuck you too phil jackson and your high maintenance list, we going with entertainment and the chance to win.

Splits
11-12-2012, 03:11 AM
You should feel fucking awful because this is a huge blow to your teams title chances.

^ ^ ^
dingdingding

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Ouch

irishock
Mike replaces Mike, lol.

Spur_Fanatic
So, what was PJAX asking?

Malik Hairston
11-12-2012, 03:16 AM

IIRC, around 15-18 mil a year, limited number of road games and choosing his own assistants..

irishock
11-12-2012, 03:17 AM

DJ Mbenga
11-12-2012, 03:18 AM

things like less travel, letting assistants handle more of the practice, but the big one was probably a bit of ownership and more say in personel decisions aka go over mitch's head

11-12-2012, 03:20 AM
sad it's not dunleavy...

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 03:23 AM

:lmao

Venti Quattro
11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
:lol defense

LkrFan
11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Not really. I was confident as fuck in 2011 with PJ as our head coach. Look how that turned out.

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Idiot lakers front office tbh.

Pringles couldn't handle Melo. How's he going to handle Chocolate Shoulders and The Rapist?

And fuck this stupid idea Kobe respects Pringles. Wait until they start losing and see how far that respect goes.

Amaso
11-12-2012, 03:31 AM
IIRC, around 15-18 mil a year, limited number of road games and choosing his own assistants..

He was asking for 10-12m and the head coach always chooses their own assistants if they want.

He wasn't hired because he was asking to have a HUGE amount of control in their front office(gm/operational duties), and basically said he wants to have his own predecessor coaching the Lakers after he retires in 2-4 years or however long he was going to be coaching. The whole predecessor thing is just absurd imo. I thought the lakers were actually going to bend over backwards for everything he wanted but I can see why they all basically just had enough of his demands.

As far as Mike D'Antoni goes, he's only a slight upgrade over Mike Brown(which isn't saying much). The Lakers really had a good shot at putting themselves back as the favorites with Phil Jackson but blew it.

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 03:35 AM
This is awesome. I didn't think the lakers would self destruct until the 2nd round of the playoffs. Instead it's the second week of the season.

timvp
11-12-2012, 03:39 AM
I think it's a good hire. Not as good as Phil Jackson, obviously, but a good hire.

1. That Princeton BS wasn't going to work. D'Antoni will let Nash and Kobe doing the creating. (Kobe can play the role Joe Johnson would have played if he didn't get traded to the Hawks, tbh.)

2. The Lakers really don't need an Xs and Os coach. They have the talent ... just a basic framework is needed. D'Antoni can supply that.

3. Dwight Howard, once he's 100%, will make the Lakers an above average defense. Having two below average defenders in the backcourt in Kobe and Nash will keep the Lakers from being elite, but they'll be above average. D'Antoni isn't as horrible of a defensive coach as his rep indicates. Their ceiling was probably higher under Mike Brown defensively but I don't think D'Antoni will necessarily hurt. Besides, Chuck Person is the defensive coordinator and will continue to call the shots ... just like D'Antoni had Mike Iavaroni in PHX.

4. D'Antoni sucks at using the bench. The Lakers don't have a bench so it doesn't matter.

5. D'Antoni is pretty good at instilling confidence and when I watch Gasol, that's what looks like is missing.

6. Since D'Antoni owned Kobe during his prime, Kobe has no choice but to respect him. Plus D'Antoni spent a lot of time in Europe and knows how to connect with Euros like Kobe.

Paranoid Pop
11-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Could be cary tbh, D'Anthony + a defensive anchor like DH...

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 03:43 AM
Explain to me how this will be any different? It's not like Nash suddenly becomes any less old or Kobe any less of a ball stopping phaggot under Pringles...

AussieFanKurt
11-12-2012, 03:55 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/32350_10151090893616065_924081049_n.jpg

Venti Quattro
11-12-2012, 03:57 AM
They just turned the potato into Pringles lol.

TE
11-12-2012, 03:57 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2hwcpjc.jpg

LkrFan
11-12-2012, 04:00 AM
^ :lol

fevertrees
11-12-2012, 04:12 AM
LOL @ thinking a coach will be the difference to handle the egos of Kobe and Dwight. Hornets will finish above the Lakers this season now!

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2012, 04:13 AM
lol whoever in a contract year still on the lakers is going to enjoy stat padding to that new contract which doesnt materialize their true value

LkrFan
11-12-2012, 04:30 AM
LOL @ thinking a coach will be the difference to handle the egos of Kobe and Dwight. Hornets will finish above the Lakers this season now!
Says the dude who openly endorses fag marriage. :lol

fevertrees
11-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Says the dude who openly endorses fag marriage. :lol

gay way is the right way...get used to it homophobe

whitemamba
11-12-2012, 04:48 AM
gay way is the right way...get used to it homophobe

mos def not, guy fucking a guy is not the right way u faggot.

on the other hand, this is a good hire, well see if mrm pringles can make it work.

100%duncan
11-12-2012, 04:49 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Uriel
11-12-2012, 05:11 AM
:tu Lakers. Adding the best defensive coach to the NBA to rectify a flagging defensive was a great move.

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 05:13 AM

:lol very nice work

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 05:17 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5121/5208385548_a41da1013f.jpg

"HEY! Did I just see you playing defense?!? If I catch you doing that one more time, your ass is benched!!"

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/bawful-after-dark-thanksgiving-weekend.html

BanditHiro
11-12-2012, 05:18 AM
lol MWP shooting six 3s a game.

Reck
11-12-2012, 05:20 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205384&p=6187995#post6187995

ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) with the early inside goods.

And @ hiring D'Antoni.

Dream come true. :lol

fevertrees
11-12-2012, 05:22 AM
mos def not, guy fucking a guy is not the right way u faggot.

on the other hand, this is a good hire, well see if mrm pringles can make it work.

what about a woman clit licking another woman? about both sides bitch and we want equal rights

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 05:40 AM
I think it's a good hire. Not as good as Phil Jackson, obviously, but a good hire.

1. That Princeton BS wasn't going to work. D'Antoni will let Nash and Kobe doing the creating. (Kobe can play the role Joe Johnson would have played if he didn't get traded to the Hawks, tbh.)

2. The Lakers really don't need an Xs and Os coach. They have the talent ... just a basic framework is needed. D'Antoni can supply that.

3. Dwight Howard, once he's 100%, will make the Lakers an above average defense. Having two below average defenders in the backcourt in Kobe and Nash will keep the Lakers from being elite, but they'll be above average. D'Antoni isn't as horrible of a defensive coach as his rep indicates. Their ceiling was probably higher under Mike Brown defensively but I don't think D'Antoni will necessarily hurt. Besides, Chuck Person is the defensive coordinator and will continue to call the shots ... just like D'Antoni had Mike Iavaroni in PHX.

4. D'Antoni sucks at using the bench. The Lakers don't have a bench so it doesn't matter.

5. D'Antoni is pretty good at instilling confidence and when I watch Gasol, that's what looks like is missing.

6. Since D'Antoni owned Kobe during his prime, Kobe has no choice but to respect him. Plus D'Antoni spent a lot of time in Europe and knows how to connect with Euros like Kobe.

First off Kobe and Pau are avg defenders. Nash is below avg. while Artest and Dwight are above avg...

Kobe grew up idolizing Dantoni and there's rumors he wore # 8 in honor of his childhood idol Dantoni.

Getting rid of Bynum all but ensures Dantoni's success in LA. Shaq was the only other non-athletic big man who didn't succeed in Mike's system because he couldn't run and wasn't mobile enough. Dwight and Pau are mobile and athletic and can run the floor...they should thrive in his uptempo system just like Amare and Diaw. Also the new offense will open up the floor allowing for more consistency of perimeter shots.

Good solid hire....Phil wasn't hired because the same turmoil that Mike Brown brought to the floor Phil was about to bring to the back office at a time when we don't need it. He basically wanted to overrule Mitch and Jimmy, coach mostly home games with a just few road games, get 10+ million a year, plus it seems he was trying to bring in Scottie Pippen for the sole purpose of helping Scottie who it seems has been having financial problems get paid. It seems to me Phil didn't really want the job. I think Jimmy played his cards right this time.

rayjayjohnson
11-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Look at koolaid, trying to dress up a turd

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/006/Don-t-Pee-on-My-Leg-and-Tell-Me-It-s-Raining-9780060927943.jpg

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
He was asking for 10-12m and the head coach always chooses their own assistants if they want.

He wasn't hired because he was asking to have a HUGE amount of control in their front office(gm/operational duties), and basically said he wants to have his own predecessor coaching the Lakers after he retires in 2-4 years or however long he was going to be coaching. The whole predecessor thing is just absurd imo. I thought the lakers were actually going to bend over backwards for everything he wanted but I can see why they all basically just had enough of his demands.

As far as Mike D'Antoni goes, he's only a slight upgrade over Mike Brown(which isn't saying much). The Lakers really had a good shot at putting themselves back as the favorites with Phil Jackson but blew it.

So... basically he wanted to be like Pop (plus a lot more cash). Why not give him that?

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2012, 06:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622773/mike-dantoni-hired-next-coach-los-angeles-lakers

The plot thickens...

A league source indicated late Sunday night that Jackson was "stunned" when the Lakers called to inform him they had chosen D'Antoni. He had been prepared to accept the job Monday if negotiations between his agent and the Lakers went well. Jackson's agent Todd Musberger had been scheduled to fly in to Los Angeles on Monday
Jackson and the Lakers had never spoken about a salary, the source said, "but he knew coaches don't make what he used to make anymore."
Jackson, the source said, never intended to miss any more road games than he had in his previous stints with the Lakers.
"Phil would come back only to win and skipping games doesn't lead to winning," the source said.

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 06:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622773/mike-dantoni-hired-next-coach-los-angeles-lakers

The plot thickens...

dude get over it..we're rollin with Mike D...Pringles teams did very very well in fact had it not been for the Horry hip check to Nash they would have won it all that year....and I don't think no one disputes that...

Dantoni is an excellent hire...even though I love and respect Phil his Zen powers are not the same...it's like watching the modern day movie Clash of the Titans where Zeus was at his full powers and then watching Wrath of the Titans that shows his powers eroded.

Same concept with Phil....

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Ah, the Horry hip check. I have a feeling that strange new alliances will be forged on this forum in the next weeks.
Which is cool, we need "sides" back on the forum. Bring it. :P

Killakobe81
11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Mixed emotions. Of course PJ is the betterchoice. But I get that they did not want to bow down Phil. I'm not sure Jackson was the perfect choice. Again, we ain't winning a title this year regardless.

Killakobe81
11-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Now the move not to sign Barbosa is even worse. This season is not yielding a title. Lakers need a strong defensive assistant and more shooters.

mercos
11-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Good hire, imo. I thought Phil was done after his last stint. Not sure how much he would have had in the tank for another run. Lakers will be fun to watch now.

benefactor
11-12-2012, 07:46 AM

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2012, 07:48 AM
isnt the knicks still paying this clowns salary?

racm
11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
It's not a bad move, tbh... I'll give D'Antoni the benefit of the doubt regarding the D since the Suns had no defensive big man (unless you squint and think Marion at PF made sense) and when he did have a good defensive big in Chandler and a capable defensive coordinator in Woodson the Knicks were a top defensive team.

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

ChuckD
11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Kobe's wet dream: a coach who doesn't care how often or quickly he shoots.

LOL seven man rotation with NBA senior citizens.

racm
11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Pringles would be a better fit on the Clips, tbh... all those athletic big men and a PG who wants to push the pace. Plus, their wings are at least decent shooters.

Shame you have VDN.

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Pringles would be a better fit on the Clips, tbh... all those athletic big men and a PG who wants to push the pace. Plus, their wings are at least decent shooters.

Shame you have VDN.
D'Antoni would be a horrible fit for us, he'd squander the bench and our defensive talent... coaching hasn't been a problem this year tbh...

Raven
11-12-2012, 08:19 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Banzai
11-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Lmao.. Jim buds is a piece of shit...from what I read jackson I stunned by the decision.

jeebus
11-12-2012, 09:09 AM

According to ESPN...

Sources told ESPN that Jackson's triangle offense was seen as a benefit to Bryant and Pau Gasol (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol), but not as conducive to the rest of the players on the roster -- namely point guard Steve Nash (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/592/steve-nash) and center Dwight Howard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard). Another strike against the triangle was the fact that this Lakers team struggled mightily to pick up the similarly complicated Princeton-style offense being instituted by Brown.
A league source indicated late Sunday night that Jackson was "stunned" when the Lakers called to inform him they had chosen D'Antoni. He had been prepared to accept the job Monday if negotiations between his agent and the Lakers went well. Jackson's agent Todd Musberger had been scheduled to fly to Los Angeles on Monday.

Jackson and the Lakers had never spoken about a salary, the source said, "but he knew coaches don't make what he used to make anymore." Jackson, the source said, also never intended to miss any more road games than he had in his previous years with the Lakers.
"Phil would come back only to win and skipping games doesn't lead to winning," the source said.

:lol hiring pringles because they want to win now, not later
:lol Jim Buss
":cry the triangle is too complicated and it won't help our overrated offseason moves :cry"

TheChillFactor
11-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Far be it from me to question the grammatical acumen of a Lakers fan, but I don't think you know what "predecessor" means. In this case his "predecessor" would be Mike Brown. I think you meant "successor".

A good rule of thumb is never use a word unless you know what it means.

lefty
11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
" WE WANT PHIL "

:rollin

jeebus
11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I see you're using Chris Broussard as your source

weebo
11-12-2012, 09:53 AM
old ass backcourt..... 70 SOL

:lmao:lmao

resistanze
11-12-2012, 09:59 AM
They just turned the potato into Pringles lol.

lefty
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2498/dantoniwx9.gif

Spursfan092120
11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
LOL Lakers telling media this wasn't about anything except for their beliefs that D'Antoni would be a better coach for this team than Phil.

lefty
11-12-2012, 10:07 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IwNHivV2p-8/TydtTACKSfI/AAAAAAAAAKU/0rwQXOxAR2E/s1600/Rimshots-1-zen-dan.jpg

dbreiden83080
11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
LOL!!

Well there goes that championship..

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you Jim Buss. You are single-handedly making the lakers irrelevant. Irrelevant as far as winning goes.

LnGrrrR
11-12-2012, 11:20 AM
:lmao picking up D'Antoni instead of Jackson...

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
L.A. Suns...where's Culbear when you would sincerely like to hear his take on this :lmao

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Jim Buss is the Lakers' version of Jerruh Jones... the only thing that could make this funnier is if Phil takes a job with the Clippers or Celtics :lol

Mugen
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Nash is going to be dead by the All Star game when pringles is playin him 40+ mins/game tbh.

ElNono
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
:lol LOLakers

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Far be it from me to question the grammatical acumen of a Lakers fan, but I don't think you know what "predecessor" means. In this case his "predecessor" would be Mike Brown. I think you meant "successor".

A good rule of thumb is never use a word unless you know what it means.

That was my first thought, but it's more fun to believe that he's using it correctly and Phil actually demanded they bring back Mike Brown as soon as he was done with the team.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Amare for Pau before the trade deadline unless pringles finds a way to combine Dwight & Pau into one player.

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Amare for Pau before the trade deadline unless pringles finds a way to combine Dwight & Pau into one player.
I might never stop laughing if the Lakers actually trade Pau for The Big Uninsurable :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM

If he can the NBA will have it's first Moor superstar.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I might never stop laughing if the Lakers actually trade Pau for The Big Uninsurable :lol

id hop on the 405 to El Segundo and lay a fat sloppy kiss on ol Jimmy boy myself tbh.

id put the chances at 55% that an Amare/Pau trade goes down this season.

Ace
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
They really want to bring back showtime...

Banzai
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
They really want to bring back showtime...

Father Time will have a say.

Bill_Brasky
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/293/590/6f6.gif

timvp
11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
:lol @ anyone who believes all those rumors floated by the Lakers about Phil Jackson asking for the world. The truth is Baby Buss didn't want anyone to come in and take power or prestige away from him. That's why he hired Mike Brown in the first place. He wants the glory. D'Antoni won't mess around with the personnel side and he's always been pretty humble ... so he fits the Baby Buss wishlist, tbh.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Guess Phil was demanding too much, don't think this is on Jimmy boy. Lakers were ready to pay him anything and let him sit out 1/3 of the games, wonder what broke the talks down.

Ah well, Pringles is still better than potato head. I'll just wait and see before calling the season a wash, but I don't have any expectations beyond that tbh.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Guess Phil was demanding too much, don't think this is on Jimmy boy. Lakers were ready to pay him anything and let him sit out 1/3 of the games, wonder what broke the talks down.

Ah well, Pringles is still better than potato head. I'll just wait and see before calling the season a wash, but I don't have any expectations beyond that tbh.

lol sources. That part is so contradictory it's mind boggling.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
lol sources. That part is so contradictory it's mind boggling.

You doubt Phil was handed a blank check? He was already demanding more than any coach ever before him his last stint, IIRC. All we know, Phil was pushing for not participating in road games. I'm really not sure it was on Jim since Jerry was the one pursuing Phil.

All sources were pointing to Phil getting hired, can't really deny that.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Well, just speaking theoretically here, if someone is handed a "blank check" by default they can't be asking for too much. It doesn't add up. What broke the talks down has nothing to do with financials - especially if they handed him a blank check.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
@MarkHeisler: Nice knowing you Phil. Forget XsOs. Besides paying $4M per (to Brown's $4.5M and Phil's $12M), Jerry Buss had it w/perception PJ was #Lakers

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, just speaking theoretically here, if someone is handed a "blank check" by default they can't be asking for too much. It doesn't add up. What broke the talks down has nothing to do with financials - especially if they handed him a blank check.

You see, THEY HANDED him the blank check so theoretically THEY were giving him too much. Looking at how much Brown was paid, it's fairly logical to say Lakers were ready to pay Phil a pretty penny as they have before.

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Ah well, Pringles is still better than potato head.
D'Antoni is just the inverse of Potato Head, tbh...

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
You see, THEY HANDED him the blank check so theoretically THEY were giving him too much. Looking at how much Brown was paid, it's fairly logical to say Lakers were ready to pay Phil a pretty penny as they have before.

That does not make any sense tbh...if they did hand him a blank check, then one can assume money isn't the issue. All signs point to it being about control and who get's credit.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Potato Head got to the Finals with a crap team while Pringles was getting shit on by Dirk & Timmy in 7 Games or Less tbh.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Potato Head got to the Finals with a crap team while Pringles was getting shit on by Dirk & Timmy in 7 Games or Less tbh.

Potato Head got swept by Tim :lol. Only reason he got to the finals was because Tim/Dirk were in the West tbh...

timvp
You doubt Phil was handed a blank check? He was already demanding more than any coach ever before him his last stint, IIRC. All we know, Phil was pushing for not participating in road games.

All those extra perks Jackson was supposedly asking for has already been debunked upthread, tbh.

Baby Buss didn't want to go back in the shadow. Simply as that.

pass1st
That does not make any sense tbh...if they did hand him a blank check, then one can assume money isn't the issue. All signs point to it being about control and who get's credit.

I don't know why it doesn't make sense, Lakers overpay people relative to the rest of the league. Phil can't really ask for too much, beyond what's practical and I doubt he's asking for a 100million contract, because the Lakers have a different view on what's too much. I mean, they overpay Brown then just casually kick him off to the bank.

I don't really see any sources on what broke down talks, it's all speculation. Although, I believe it wasn't really just Jim since Jerry was going after Phil. I'm guessing Phil wanted huge changes, maybe power over hiring/firings.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
All those extra perks Jackson was supposedly asking for has already been debunked upthread, tbh.

That'd surprise me, tbh. Any link?

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
^ That is what we are saying - it's not money issues and the Phil demands are being overblown (that's a fact). :lol You can't keep touting "they handed him a blank check!!!, it's Phil time!!!!!" and then say "it's a money issue".

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
^ That is what we are saying - it's not money issues and the Phil demands are being overblown (that's a fact). :lol You can't keep touting "they handed him a blank check!!!, it's Phil time!!!!!" and then say "it's a money issue".

I didn't say it was a money issue from the start, handing him a blank check is saying Lakers were willing to pay him whatever. I never said that was guaranteeing a hire. Where the hell did I say it was a money issue?

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM

pass1st
11-12-2012, 12:38 PM
And? They can give Phil too much money, but not appease all of his demands. I simply stated that being overpaid was one of the perks on the table. Seriously, where are you going with this?

da_suns_fan
11-12-2012, 12:48 PM
You can HAVE D'Antoni.

Be ready for zero accountability, gimmicky offense and losing to the Spurs every year.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
L.A. Suns...where's Culbear when you would sincerely like to hear his take on this :lmao

Culbear would find a way to defend this like he does everything else involving the Lakers players/front office/coaches/etc.

Kobe and Buss could get caught having an orgy with farm animals and Culbear would find a way to defend it.

Mark in Austin
11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Seriously, how obtuse is Jim Buss? You have one of the most valuable franchises in the world at your fingers and it's printing money. All you have to do is make smart choices, trust your GM (who has proven he can remake a roster effectively), and stay the fuck out of the way. The cash & love would never stop. But nooooooo, you have to go and let your ego get in the way.

To quote 21: "That's retarded."

pass1st
11-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Seriously, how obtuse is Jim Buss? You have one of the most valuable franchises in the world at your fingers and it's printing money. All you have to do is make smart choices, trust your GM (who has proven he can remake a roster effectively), and stay the fuck out of the way. The cash & love would never stop. But nooooooo, you have to go and let your ego get in the way.

To quote 21: "That's retarded."

Always was in favor of Jeanie running it when Jerry retired to a casino, tbh

TheMACHINE
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Lakers fans simply forgot we got swept 2 years ago with PJ.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
pass: So far you have said that Phil had a blank check, but money was an issue (which, if you give someone a blank check, don't you think they are going to put the biggest number humanly possible on there? Also, when you hand someone a blank check, that implies you will pay whatever they ask), that I who said Dan will be and should be the hire is as wrong as you saying "it's 100% Phil, i believe all the sources and have formed my opinion on the matter" when Dan was the guy hired.

Yikes. You also said you were surprised that all the Phil demands where being overblown and asked for a link :lol

Mugen
11-12-2012, 01:12 PM

That was because of Kobe's knee and why he couldn't give it his all for Phil :cry:cry:cry:cry

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Not true dawg...

Mitch and Jimbo has issues with Phil....even rumors of Phil wanting more personnel control is a distraction. Phil didn't talk to them and was dismissive of them both during his last season in particular. The good Dr. Buss already conceded that Phil is fucking his daughter so he's not with Phil fucking him as well... plus Phil was trying to get Scottie Pippen paid who is seemingly having financial issues..they just wasn't gonna allow this to go on...

Phil would have brought control, stability, and instant credibility to the locker room. Dantoni will bring it as well but it will take a little more convincing from Kobe and Nash...they both have the utmost respect for Dan and Dan will turn Dwight offensively into a 2008 Amare...The pressure is now on Nash...If he's our QB I want him to feel like he's at home...and now I think he will...

I think it's a win win for all...Dan has the actual general / team motivation whereas Phil's return was ego based and driven....Dantoni now has the offense and defensive tools to work with...he only had offensive weapons in Phoenix...

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
:lol Kool just ripping off what others say and trying to be serious while still typing with his purplengold troll language.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Dan will turn Dwight offensively into a 2008 Amare

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Phil was leaning on Kobe his last two years..Kobe was the one actually coaching us...it's hard to be player / coach...Phil even admitted it during the 2009 finals when Zo called him out...

"To tell you the truth, Phil doesn't have to do anything but call time outs," said Mourning about Lakers' coach Phil Jackson. "Kobe is the facilitator. He is the one driving the mission of this particular team right now. The communication level he has with his teammates out there, you can just see it. I think Phil is just showing up, to tell you the truth, and Kobe is doing all the work to make this team successful."

Phil's response (no sarcasm)

"That's a pretty good assessment from a guy who played 15 years or so in the NBA. Kobe is doing a lot of the work, Phil said. "I'm just kind of sitting on my chair."

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/12/sports/sp-simers12

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Phil would have brought control, stability, and instant credibility to the locker room. Dantoni will bring it as well

Did you miss his time with the Knicks? Hell, back in Phoenix, there were rumors of Nash ignoring D'Antoni half the time and even, IIRC, stories of Nash grabbing the clipboard from D'Antoni and drawing up his own plays....

D'Antoni is a notorious doormat of a coach who never holds anyone accountable... he is a supposed "offensive genius" who cannot make adjustments and is clueless defensively, always chokes in the playoffs, but still inexplicably keeps getting hired by desperate teams... basically the Norv Turner of the NBA, imho...

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
:lol Kool just ripping off what others say and trying to be serious while still typing with his purplengold troll language.

Stop attempting to be adversarial for the sake of being adversarial

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Shut up ^

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Did you miss his time with the Knicks? Hell, back in Phoenix, there were rumors of Nash ignoring D'Antoni half the time and even, IIRC, stories of Nash grabbing the clipboard from D'Antoni and drawing up his own plays....

D'Antoni is a notorious doormat of a coach who never holds anyone accountable... he is a supposed "offensive genius" who cannot make adjustments and is clueless defensively, always chokes in the playoffs, but still inexplicably keeps getting hired by desperate teams... basically the Norv Turner of the NBA, imho...

He was coaching Melo for crying out loud...Back then Melo finally looks decent but will it last....I submit into evidence that Kobe, Dwight and Nash are no Melo...they're hard nosed and proven winners...plus they admire and respect Dan...Kobe grew up idolizing Dan before any of us even knew who he was...Dan gets a bad rap...But he's never had the defensive players that he could coach up...He's simply NEVER had the players...Now he has Artest, he has Dwight and Kobe is still average..In your hate of LA - I think you guys are seriously over playing your hand on this one...it's a great hire for what we need at the moment...

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Culbear would find a way to defend this like he does everything else involving the Lakers players/front office/coaches/etc.

Kobe and Buss could get caught having an orgy with farm animals and Culbear would find a way to defend it.

...but didn't Culb claim to be a Suns hater?

timvp
11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
:lmao @ Laker Fan trying to convince himself that Phil MFin' Jackson wouldn't have been an upgrade over Mike D'Antoni. Come on now.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Gonna reserve judgment on this move until i get LkrFan's take on the matter so i can predict the exact opposite and end up being right.

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
:lmao @ Laker Fan trying to convince himself that Phil MFin' Jackson wouldn't have been an upgrade over Mike D'Antoni. Come on now.

You're wrong dawg...chest thumping your thoughts won't help you. Phil would have been nice...but Phil is marginally better than Dantoni...In fact none of Phil's teams ever beat a Dantoni lead team in the play-offs....:downspin:...

be careful in your response because while true this ^ is a setup comment :lol

Mugen
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Dwight and Nash are no Melo...they're hard nosed and proven winners....

They are literally neither of those things.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Phil is no doubt a better coach, but when you look at all the factors (namely motivation and money), Dan should be a good hire but he still has considerable downside obviously.

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
They are literally neither of those things.

How many injuries have they played with vs. Timmy. Dude you don't even want to go there...

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Phil is no doubt a better coach, but when you look at all the factors (namely motivation and money), Dan should be a good hire but he still has considerable downside obviously.

lol - as if Phil had none

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Who said Phil has none?

Raven
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
He was coaching Melo for crying out loud...Back then Melo finally looks decent but will it last....I submit into evidence that Kobe, Dwight and Nash are no Melo...they're hard nosed and proven winners...plus they admire and respect Dan...Kobe grew up idolizing Dan before any of us even knew who he was...Dan gets a bad rap...But he's never had the defensive players that he could coach up...He's simply NEVER had the players...Now he has Artest, he has Dwight and Kobe is still average..In your hate of LA - I think you guys are seriously over playing your hand on this one...it's a great hire for what we need at the moment...

dwight and nash are hard nosed proven winners? seems like you're getting desperate.

Mugen
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
How many injuries have they played with vs. Timmy. Dude you don't even want to go there...

:lol i guess quitting on your respective teams last year and getting your shit pushed annually in the playoffs make you "hard nosed and proven winners"

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Tbh, Nash's nose clearly isn't THAT hard...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/07/sports/07nash.190.1.jpg

Banzai
11-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Tbh, Nash's nose clearly isn't THAT hard...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/07/sports/07nash.190.1.jpg

looks young in that picture.

bugmenot
11-12-2012, 02:01 PM
looks young in that picture.

It was a long time ago that Tony Parker busted Steve Nash's facial playoff cherry.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike Brown must be like "I got shit-canned so they could hire Mike Fn D'antoni, WOW"

Banzai
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
should get interesting now...

Bynumite
11-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Between the hours of Mike Brown's firing and a meeting on Saturday morning with history's most accomplished coach, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak privately told people there was one candidate: Phil Jackson.

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni.

"Phil wanted Jim Buss to walk away with his tail between his legs," one source with knowledge of the discussions told Yahoo! Sports. "He thought he had time to still negotiate with them, and see how much they would give him."

timvp
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
^tl;dr, Baby Buss didn't want to go back in the shadows

Budkin
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Welp, no rings for D12 and Nash... why would they pass on Phil? The guy could have turned that team into instant champs.

purplengold
11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
we needed da elite ego manager but Toni an upgrade n he show interest in hiring defensive assistants so ima thinkin he knows he canna run lakers like Knicks. least Kobe gon be happy that he can speak Italian wit somebody

djohn2oo8
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM

They were trying to justify the Mike Brown hiring at the time too :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
...but didn't Culb claim to be a Suns hater?

Yes. He blindly hated players and coaches for the Suns while blindly loving players and coaches on the Lakers. His views of Steve Nash have probably done a complete 180 since LA traded for him.

JamStone
11-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Will be interesting to see how D'Antoni integrates Dwight into the offense. I think Kobe and Pau will be fine adjusting to his system. And Nash obviously can play in his offense. The key is to get Dwight comfortable and productive in it. It will probably be a struggle. One of the issues, regardless who the coach is or was going to be, is the Lakers lack of quality depth. Although Jamison does seem like he could fit under D'Antoni's style of play. The Lakers do need to find better shooters to surround their core four starters.

Even though none of us know how things will turn out with D'Antoni, I actually think it was a wise decision not to hire Phil Jackson, no matter who they ended up with. There are just too many issues with Phil. He's already had his last hurrah, really old now, health concerns, whether he'd be able to coach all the games or conduct all the practices, and whether he would have too much control and power (even though it's been unsubstantiated, I wouldn't doubt him wanting things that have been rumored in the news from 3-4 times more money in salary, some stake in ownership of the Lakers, and choosing his own successor after he's done). Just too many complications with Phil. And who knows if he'd stick around after the season? Even if it wasn't D'Antoni, I don't think the Lakers would have been wise to just go back to Phil.

I wonder if Nate McMillan was ever an option.

DAF86
11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Will be interesting to see how D'Antoni integrates Dwight into the offense. I think Kobe and Pau will be fine adjusting to his system. And Nash obviously can play in his offense. The key is to get Dwight comfortable and productive in it. It will probably be a struggle. One of the issues, regardless who the coach is or was going to be, is the Lakers lack of quality depth. Although Jamison does seem like he could fit under D'Antoni's style of play. The Lakers do need to find better shooters to surround their core four starters.

Even though none of us know how things will turn out with D'Antoni, I actually think it was a wise decision not to hire Phil Jackson, no matter who they ended up with. There are just too many issues with Phil. He's already had his last hurrah, really old now, health concerns, whether he'd be able to coach all the games or conduct all the practices, and whether he would have too much control and power (even though it's been unsubstantiated, I wouldn't doubt him wanting things that have been rumored in the news from 3-4 times more money in salary, some stake in ownership of the Lakers, and choosing his own successor after he's done). Just too many complications with Phil. And who knows if he'd stick around after the season? Even if it wasn't D'Antoni, I don't think the Lakers would have been wise to just go back to Phil.

Will probably try to play him on the role of Stoudamire on the Suns. The problem is how to fit both Dwight and Pau on the same schemes, I see Gasol taking a lot of corner threes, tbh.

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Nice take...btw Pistons should be eligible for a top 3 pick next year...good luck

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Lakerfan trying to claim this is a good move :lol holy shit I've seen everything

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Lakerfan trying to claim this is a good move :lol holy shit I've seen everything

TimVP seems to think it was a good move as well, or are we going to ignore this and trash on lakerfans solo?

Spursfan092120
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
This...definitely.

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
TimVP seems to think it was a good move as well, or are we going to ignore this and trash on lakerfans solo?

unlike most spurfans i don't fellate timvp after every post. his opinion is not fact tbh

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
unlike most spurfans i don't fellate timvp after every post. his opinion is not fact tbh

But it's not only select few lakerfan agreeing with the move, so let's not play favorites and solo a group out. Personally, I don't like the move but fuck anything beats Brown. Keeping Bickerstaff as HC might actually have been a step up.

jag
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
But it's not only select few lakerfan agreeing with the move, so let's not play favorites and solo a group out. Personally, I don't like the move but fuck anything beats Brown. Keeping Bickerstaff as HC might actually have been a step up.

sry brah but its easier to refer to you all as a collective rather than individually. :lol i'm surprised that ANY lakerfan thinks D'antoni is a good hire considering some of the coaches in their history. then again he is replacing Mike Brown so see the addition by subtraction angle

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 05:26 PM

I think it was a good move all things considered. The difference is Laker fan, now that Phil is out, is doing a 180 on what they were just saying when they thought Phil was in.

DUNCANownsKOBE
11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Will probably try to play him on the role of Stoudamire on the Suns.

That won't work out very well since Amare being able to hit midrange shots was a huge part of his role with the Suns.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
sry brah but its easier to refer to you all as a collective rather than individually. :lol i'm surprised that ANY lakerfan thinks D'antoni is a good hire considering some of the coaches in their history. then again he is replacing Mike Brown so see the addition by subtraction angle

Honestly, what would you do if Pop got replaced with D'antoni. Hypothetically speaking, I'm sure he has an assistant he groomed to take over. That's what we got, either love it and cheer yourself up or go bandwagon the heat. Phil was what we all wanted, didn't get him, D'antoni is the new HC.

DAF86
11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
That won't work out very well since Amare being able to hit midrange shots was a huge part of his role with the Suns.

It obviously wouldn't work in the exact same way but I think that's what they're going to try to do with him: being the principal "screen setter", specially 'cause Pau can spread the floor away from the ball and Dwight can't.

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 05:36 PM
i'd be fucking pissed and would boycott the Spurs until they fired him tbh. Hiring a coach like D'antoni says that your management is not serious about contending, at least from the perspective of having a strong coach who knows what he's doing. D'antoni doesn't even know how to coach defense and he's got the best defensive player on his team. i can't wait to see how he manages to turn the Lakers into a fun and gun team that gets shat on on the defensive side.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I think it was a good move all things considered. The difference is Laker fan, now that Phil is out, is doing a 180 on what they were just saying when they thought Phil was in.

Yeah, probably. D'antoni knows he needs to implement solid defense since he's asking for assistants to make up for his lack of defensive knowledge. I guess it's a bright side that he knows he can't just run & gun all game with an older team, maybe that strategy will help our bench since they are pretty young.

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
i'd be fucking pissed and would boycott the Spurs until they fired him tbh. Hiring a coach like D'antoni says that your management is not serious about contending, at least from the perspective of having a strong coach who knows what he's doing. D'antoni doesn't even know how to coach defense and he's got the best defensive player on his team. i can't wait to see how he manages to turn the Lakers into a fun and gun team that gets shat on on the defensive side.

Ah, but you know nothing to do about it. D'antoni knows he needs to play defense though. I'm hoping he picks a good staff to deal with that.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Having Dwight Howard (healthy) means you have a good defense. Once he's back into it fully, LA will be solid defensively*

pass1st
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
In the paint, but when teams are shooting the 3 well then we usually have troubles.

Expert
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I thought he had knee surgery?

Means he and bean have more in common.

Mike D was the solution though, they just needed to have more non-working systems to learn. They should be good after a couple months.

LakaFan
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
With MDA at the helm the Lakers will begin their domination. Defense won't be an issue with Dwight Howard guarding the cup.

Brazil
11-12-2012, 06:07 PM
As long as it's:::

Kobe: 5

Tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

I'm fine. Deal with it.

shitty troll imitation tbh

timvp
11-12-2012, 06:12 PM

:depressed

Expert
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
2 words; Philibeaner

Ok one word

In my expert opinion, the Lakers stopped caring about championships when Shaq left. Sure they grabbed a couple more with Gasol, but they are now more interested in supplying monkeyball for the big contract they signed. Slowing the game by dumping down to Howard isn't what people want to see. They want to see dunks in the pick and roll and fast breaks.

I predict a few fast breaks, only on knees and ankles and backs instead of hardwood.

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
:depressed

you weren't supposed to see that :cry

Leetonidas
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Ah, but you know nothing to do about it. D'antoni knows he needs to play defense though. I'm hoping he picks a good staff to deal with that.

He should have known this his entire tenure as a professional head coach. He knew his teams needed to play defense when they were actually good and he still didn't give a shit. I don't see him changing his philosophies now

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM

:lol I'm actually jealous of that nigga...he be getting mad sloppy head from Spur fan...Spur fan be watching like a Bird watcher...if he even attempts to unzip his fly they on the attack

Brazil
11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
It's not a bad move since Brown lost his team therefore whatever coach will still be an improvement but it would have been difficult to find somebody worst than D'Antoni

Malik Hairston
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
D'Antoni is a better coach than Mike Dunleavy, Nate McMillan or any of the other candidates outside of Jackson, tbh..

All these coaches are severely flawed, at least D'Antoni is successful at coaching one key aspect of basketball, unlike most coaches in the NBA, tbh..

Lakers bench sucks, they have no shooters and their D is questionable, but this would have been the case regardless of the coach..

There are only 8-9 coaches in the NBA that I would take over Pringles, tbh..

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2012, 06:51 PM
TBH, jokes aside, it's an upgrade. Nonetheless, I dont think the Lakers have the shooters that Mike needs.

xellos88330
11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
I actually think this is a good move for the Lakers. The reason why I think so is because he most likely the only coach who will be able to get all of the Lakers players the amount of touches they want. It is probably the best way to develop chemistry with all of the high profile players on the Lakers.

AaronY
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Trollinger chimes in:

D'Antoni the right choice for Lakers

All things considered, L.A. made the right decision (PER Diem: Nov. 12, 2012)
Originally Published: November 12, 2012
By John Hollinger | ESPN.com
EMAIL
PRINT

Lakers Gamble On Mike D'Antoni

Chris Broussard talks about the Lakers' hiring of Mike D'Antoni to replace Mike Brown as head coach.
Tags: Mike D'Antoni, Phil Jackson, Lakers Coach, Chris Broussard, SportsCenter
NEXT VIDEO
TrueHoop TV: D'Antoni Hire
It's an extreme irony that just days after Mike Brown talked about Steve Nash never winning a championship in Mike D'Antoni's offense, the Lakers whacked Brown so Steve Nash could pursue a championship running Mike D'Antoni's offense.

L.A.'s decision to fire Brown on Friday was the kind of knee-jerk silliness that we'd normally expect from Sacramento or the Knicks -- if you thought the guy was good enough on opening day, five games shouldn't change your mind. To that extent, it may hint at some larger issues in the Lakers' front office under Jim Buss.

It's also highly illogical that the Lakers were so focused on the merits of their coaching candidate's offenses -- Princeton versus Triangle versus Seven Seconds or Less -- when the Lakers' failing in their first five games came almost entirely at the defensive end. Even after two strong home wins under the undefeated Bernie Bickerstaff, the Lakers are tied for 10th in defensive efficiency.

More From ESPN.com
How will new Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni fit with Dwight Howard, whose opinion ultimately will matter most of all? J.A. Adande asks. Dime

Is their choice of Mike D'Antoni over Phil Jackson the right fit to take over the helm for the Lakers? Vote!

• Five-on-five: Debating the hire
• Kamenetzky: Why D'Antoni works
• TrueHoop: Pick-and-roll holds weight
• Lakers Blog | ESPN Los Angeles

Nonetheless, Brown's decision to shepherd in the Slowtime Era was an unwieldy mistake given his personnel, and the Lakers clearly came into the season already harboring a lot of doubts about him. I'll offer this additional critique that was scarcely mentioned -- he was playing the key players way too many minutes.

As for D'Antoni, he never quite got his due for what he accomplished in Phoenix, implementing a system with Nash that basically shocked the league for a few years while everyone figured out how to guard it (and eventually copy it). D'Antoni effectively provided the blueprint for how teams could space the floor and take advantage of the mid-decade hand-checking rules, and he still does it better than anyone else.

Somehow, the narrative on this accomplishment turned from "he completely knocked the league on its [butt]" to "he took a 29-win team and prevented it from winning a championship." What D'Antoni did in Phoenix was historic.

But it's a copycat league, and once Phoenix's system was copied, the surprise factor wasn't quite as strong. You now see elements of D'Antoni's offense all over the league -- Phoenix still uses it, and most of the league's other teams have appropriated large chunks of it. One of the few resistors, actually, was the Lakers.

You can see the impact over time. The Suns led the league in offensive efficiency the first three seasons Nash and D'Antoni worked together, with the first season in particular being one of the best offensive teams in history. But by his final season, the Suns were second, and his clubs in New York were 17th three times in four seasons.

FOLLOW THE NBA ON ESPN
Stay up to date with the latest NBA news, stories and analysis. Follow the NBA on ESPN on Twitter, Facebook and Google+:

Twitter » Facebook » Google+ »

In other words, just like everywhere else, the players usually matter a lot more than the system. For a brief window, D'Antoni was able to get the "system" part of that equation punching way above its weight.

D'Antoni will have some players in L.A., fortunately, starting with Nash. He might be a bit older and a bit slower than he was in his heyday, but he is still one of the best pick-and-roll practitioners you'll ever see. With Dwight Howard as a roll man, Kobe Bryant on the weak side with Metta World Peace (who, despite his other faults, is a good corner 3-point shooter), and Pau Gasol lifting for midrange jumpers, the Lakers certainly have enough weapons to make this half-court system work.

And make no mistake, this is mostly a half-court system. Seven Seconds or Less is a catchy name, but this system has more to do with drag screens for Nash and quick-hitting plays early in the shot clock than it does with players flying up and down the court in transition, especially if Leandro Barbosa and Shawn Marion aren't involved. Every one of D'Antoni's teams has finished in the top 10 in pace, as have every one of Nash's teams, but it's been a long time since either led the league or even came close. With this roster, one shouldn't necessarily expect Showtime 2.0.

Of course, the real way to look at the D'Antoni decision is by comparing it to the alternatives. I think we can immediately throw out the "he never won a ring" critique, as there was only one viable candidate who had. Otherwise, the only coaches who are (a) alive, (b) unemployed, and (c) won a title in the last quarter-century are Rudy Tomjanovich -- been there, done that -- and Larry Brown, who has since evolved into a parody of himself.

Among the rest of the field, D'Antoni was the one who had the best chance to get the, er, strong-willed Kobe Bryant to go along with the program, given the experience the two have had with USA Basketball and their shared quasi-Italian bond.

With one exception, obviously: Phil Jackson. Nonetheless, I thought D'Antoni was the right move based on the information that's out there. No sitting exec is going to willingly cede power, as Jackson apparently wanted, and having him skip road games wasn't going to be practical. One can argue the Lakers should have kept the door open for longer while negotiating with Jackson -- D'Antoni literally wasn't going anywhere, as he's recovering from knee-replacement surgery -- but the endgame seemed pretty clear, and hiring Phil under those terms would have been nearly as knee-jerky as firing Brown.

Which leaves us with D'Antoni, and his challenge of managing Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. The coach had trouble standing up to an iso-happy scorer with a big ego in New York (Carmelo Anthony); how is he going to fare with these two?

It's a fair question; that and doubts about D'Antoni's defensive chops are his two biggest obstacles to success in L.A. Nonetheless, there should be enough touches to go around for everybody, especially once Howard sees how many uncontested dunks Nash can get him. As for the defense, D'Antoni's teams were more "average" than "bad" at this end, but the critique that he has almost entirely focused on the offense from a practice and preparation standpoint has been widespread. With a defensive dominator like Howard, there's no excuse for L.A. not to have a top-10 defense.

D'Antoni's other challenge may be his roster. His later teams in Phoenix succeeded even when there wasn't a ton of shooting on the court -- the frontcourt was Marion-Boris Diaw-Amare Stoudemire -- but they were in the top four in 3-pointers every year. The Lakers' roster just doesn't have that kind of shooting.

A few short-term fixes can improve the situation a bit. We'll probably see a lot more of Jodie Meeks, and Antawn Jamison may see more minutes as a floor-spacing 4 rather than a fish-out-of-water 3. We may even see Steve Blake playing off the ball as a 2.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers pursue another wing shooter. They'll probably inquire about Miami's little-used James Jones, a veteran of D'Antoni's system, and kick the tires on guys like Shawne Williams and Raja Bell, if Bell can ever work a buyout with Utah. (Side note: You also gotta think Barbosa is bummed he chose Boston over L.A.)

But in the short term, D'Antoni may have to play more traditional iso basketball. With Nash out and Blake nursing an abdominal injury, he's left entrusting his precious offense to Chris Duhon and Darius Morris. Egads.

Of course, the short term isn't what the Lakers are worrying about. (Well, unless it involves Mike Brown.) More practically, D'Antoni has 75 games to get the Lakers' offense humming at the championship-caliber level everyone expected before the season, and to do it with enough defensive integrity that they can, at the very least, make the conference finals. It remains to be seen if he can do that, but from here it seems he has a better chance than just about anyone else.

midnightpulp
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
First off Kobe and Pau are avg defenders. Nash is below avg. while Artest and Dwight are above avg...

Kobe grew up idolizing Dantoni and there's rumors he wore # 8 in honor of his childhood idol Dantoni.

Getting rid of Bynum all but ensures Dantoni's success in LA. Shaq was the only other non-athletic big man who didn't succeed in Mike's system because he couldn't run and wasn't mobile enough. Dwight and Pau are mobile and athletic and can run the floor...they should thrive in his uptempo system just like Amare and Diaw. Also the new offense will open up the floor allowing for more consistency of perimeter shots.

Good solid hire....Phil wasn't hired because the same turmoil that Mike Brown brought to the floor Phil was about to bring to the back office at a time when we don't need it. He basically wanted to overrule Mitch and Jimmy, coach mostly home games with a just few road games, get 10+ million a year, plus it seems he was trying to bring in Scottie Pippen for the sole purpose of helping Scottie who it seems has been having financial problems get paid. It seems to me Phil didn't really want the job. I think Jimmy played his cards right this time.

Lol at this cognitive dissonance. If the Lakers hired Phil, your pussy would've gotten so wet, you'd have to go through about a dozen pair of panties everyday to soak up the leakage.

This is fuckin' great. Laker Nation had their dicks pointed at the sky ready to unleash another Jizz Hurricane the second Phil signed the dotted line. Now everything's gone limp, and the forecast is nothing but sunshine and clear skies ahead.

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 07:22 PM
As long as it's:::

Kobe: 5

Tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

I'm fine. Deal with it.

seppe?

nah, couldn't be

Malik Hairston
11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Hollinger is on point, as usual, tbh..

Wherther you like D'Antoni or not, he's a massive upgrade over any of the other potential candidates for the Lakers job..

midnightpulp
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Trollinger chimes in:

I typically agree with Trollinger, but this is an obvious attempt at damage control and generating hype for the NBA's flagship franchise's new "marquee" hire.

"What D'Antoni did in Phoenix was historic."

Now that D'Antoni is a part of the Laker family, history suddenly rewrites itself and D'Antoni is given majority credit for the success the Suns had during the Nash/Amare era. Never mind the fact that D'Antoni had the perfect storm of talent in Phoenix with which to implement his system. A deep roster filled with shooters and athletes, led by Steve Nash at his absolute peak. These Lakers resemble those Suns about as much as Koolaid_Man resembles a human being. No matter. The media has to gloss over the details in order to sell D'Antoni to all the slack-jawed beaners and uneasy Time Warner executives.

The only remnant from the SSOL era we'll see in this Laker offense is a pale imitation of the Nash/Amare pick-and-roll between a now middle-aged, breaking down Steve Nash and a gorilla with a basketball IQ that's roughly the same number as the age of the guy who will be passing to him. Aside from that, expect the New York Knicks 2.0.

Banzai
11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
KFC, Potato Head and Pringles..seasoned, soft...crunchy lmao

Richie
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bakfp7l

HeatChamps
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm in fucking shock. Pick D'antoni over Phil Jackson. What kind of moron you must be to do that.

Monostradamus
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
The only remnant from the SSOL era we'll see in this Laker offense is a pale imitation of the Nash/Amare pick-and-roll between a now middle-aged, breaking down Steve Nash and a gorilla with a basketball IQ that's roughly the same number as the age of the guy who will be passing to him.

Are you implying that this description doesn't also fit Amare perfectly?

Brazil
11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
D'Antoni is a better coach than Mike Dunleavy, Nate McMillan or any of the other candidates outside of Jackson, tbh..

arguable tbh and no doubt that PJ is 10 times the coach D'Antoni is

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Lol at this cognitive dissonance. If the Lakers hired Phil, your pussy would've gotten so wet, you'd have to go through about a dozen pair of panties everyday to soak up the leakage.

This is fuckin' great. Laker Nation had their dicks pointed at the sky ready to unleash another Jizz Hurricane the second Phil signed the dotted line. Now everything's gone limp, and the forecast is nothing but sunshine and clear skies ahead.

you can't prove a gotdam thang....stop dick rydin me lil homie

timvp
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
"There were no demands, outrageous or otherwise," Musburger said. "To say that he wanted control or that he wanted a zillion dollars or that he wanted equity, those were not topics discussed in the meeting between Kupchak, Buss and Phil. If the Lakers didn't spread those things, the fact they didn't take an affirmative stance to correct the record is very troublesome."

Musburger said that while he respected the Lakers right to hire whomever they wanted as coach, he was disappointed in the way the entire situation unfolded.

"Phil is someone who brought nothing but trophies to their bookcase and value to the franchise," Musburger said. "He deserved to be dealt with honestly.

"He didn't deserve the job, that's their decision. They can hire whoever they wish. But don't say to someone you've got until Monday and then roust him from slumber at midnight to say, 'By the way we hired somebody else.' That's just not fair dealing and Phil deserved fair dealing. He's a good faith person and he was dealt with poorly. It is indicative of the shabby way that organization is being run."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8625245/phil-jackson-was-prepared-coach-los-angeles-lakers-again-souce-says

Surprise, surprise. :cry He wanted the moon :cry turns out to be a lie.

Lakers picked D'Antoni over Jackson because Baby Buss wanted to stay in the limelight.

midnightpulp
11-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Are you implying that this description doesn't also fit Amare perfectly?

Amare does indeed belong in a zoo. But I do think he's a smarter player than Howard. Granted, that's not saying much.

DMC
11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Culburn to Buss on Jackson: "Nary a fuckin' dime"

pass1st
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I wish Curly was here, just for a day. This would be ironic for him

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Surprise, surprise. :cry He wanted the moon :cry turns out to be a lie.

Lakers picked D'Antoni over Jackson because Baby Buss wanted to stay in the limelight.

ummm how many times do you plan on saying that shit...that's like your 4th iteration...:lol

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Amare does indeed belong in a zoo. But I do think he's a smarter player than Howard. Granted, that's not saying much.

How's your mom...is she happy.... ;-)

DMC
11-12-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm in fucking shock. Pick D'antoni over Phil Jackson. What kind of moron you must be to do that.

An extremely wealthy one with a bone to pick and hatred for the big sloth that's pork boning your sister.

DMC
11-12-2012, 09:51 PM
ummm how many times do you plan on saying that shit...that's like your 4th iteration...:lol

You really are riding this schtick into the abyss of desperation. If you created a few more Heat trolls at least you could enjoy taunting others. Lately you've been nothing but a whipping boy for a team you don't even really support. Is it worth it?

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Culburn to Buss on Jackson: "Nary a fuckin' dime"

Cully came up with that line when he threatened to withdraw his friendship from me if I paid DPG...it was his finest moment and I will never forget him for that act of kindness and love.... ;-)

midnightpulp
11-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Cully came up with that line when he threatened to withdraw his friendship from me if I paid DPG...it was his finest moment and I will never forget him for that act of kindness and love.... ;-)

Peel banana.
Put contents into mouth.
Don't chew. Just inhale.
Choke to death minutes later.

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Says the guy who's said 15,622 iterations of "I'm firmly attached to Kobe's nutsack" and counting....

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Peel banana.
Put contents into mouth.
Don't chew. Just inhale.
Choke to death minutes later.

Stare intently at Koolaid's Dick
Caress His Balls and Put The Tip In Your Mouth
Don't Bite Just Slowly Swallow
Choke, Vomit , and Spit minutes later

Thank me on your way out the door

Koolaid_Man
11-12-2012, 10:04 PM
From Midnight to Kool....

03-11-2011

midnightpulp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5430)

Playing Chess My TeamSan Antonio SpursPost Count8,744

Dont pay him his money. He would have no problem not paying you just cuz your a lakers fan. These guys have no respect.

Fun n Gun
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm back! This time it'll be di erent....you'll see! We got the Kobe,the Nashy and wight Howar too!

gambit1990
11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w5Mi3b4vcCE

Latarian Milton
11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
great news for LA and nash tbh.

iminol
04-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Mike's playoffs face update.

http://iminol.w.interii.pl/pringles.jpg

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2013, 02:36 AM
D'Antoni has done a good job considering the injuries and egos IMO..

Kupchak deserves much more blame than D'Antoni and it isn't even close, tbh..building a roster with a bunch of old players was inevitably going to result in injuries..

100%duncan
04-27-2013, 06:56 AM
D'Antoni has done a good job considering the injuries and egos IMO..

Kupchak deserves much more blame than D'Antoni and it isn't even close, tbh..building a roster with a bunch of old players was inevitably going to result in injuries..

Nah, D'Antoni ran these players down until they are either too tired or injured. Any decent coach would make this team as a contender. And no he didn't handle the egos well imho considering all the Laker Drama that happened all throughout the season.

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 07:00 AM
This is awesome. I didn't think the lakers would self destruct until the 2nd round of the playoffs. Instead it's the second week of the season.

Say what you want, but Ray called it. I was nuked for saying the same in that other board. I'm surprised at some of the comments on the first few pages saying this was a smarter move over going with Phil...DA FAK?

Thebesteva
04-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Good call Koolaid..spot on as always

racm
04-27-2013, 07:54 AM
:pop: just owning the scrub coaches he's supposed to, tbh...

Meanwhile Mark Jackson is owning George Karl, to no one's surprise...

Banzai
04-27-2013, 01:52 PM
LMFAO

Michael Jordan.
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

Michael Jordan.
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
With MDA at the helm the Lakers will begin their domination. Defense won't be an issue with Dwight Howard guarding the cup.
http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/3687/419475-cazale_large.jpg

Michael Jordan.
09-05-2013, 09:58 AM

http://www.iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

AchillesHeel
09-05-2013, 09:59 AM
MJ

Michael Jordan.
11-07-2013, 10:30 AM