PDA

View Full Version : Sean Marks

nzkickass
06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Will he be playing for the Spurs next season?

Or are his Spurs days over ?

1 more.... How important was he to the Spurs ?

I sure hope he comes back next season and plays.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I think they bring him back but he doesn't play. Again.

ZStomp
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
He's out.

I never really liked his playing...the little he got anyway.

Maybe there was a reason as to why he played very little...;)

nzkickass
06-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I saw a Bowen interview where he said that Marks was his favourit team mate!

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I saw a Bowen interview where he said that Marks was his favourit team mate!

He's also very close with Manu and Tim, so I wouldn't count him out yet.

Das Texan
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
i think marks role on this team will largely be the product of what we can find this summer on the market.

SequSpur
06-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Marks is cool. I am down with that.

MannyIsGod
06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Marks will be back. He should some heart this year, and nearly made the playoff roster ahead of one stone hands Nazr.

slayermin
06-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I thought Marks played with great energy when he got minutes. Also, his athleticism shocked me. He will dunk on yo azz.

His defense needs lots of work but I would love to have Sean back.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Marks will be back. He should some heart this year, and nearly made the playoff roster ahead of one stone hands Nazr.

And we'd have been knocked out of the 2nd round had we had Marks instead of Nazr.

GopherSA
06-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Let him go. He's not going to get much playing time in SA next year if he's around. That would be a pity if it were to happen. He's clearly a good guy who'd have the chance to possibly become a starter in a second or third tier team.

xcoriate
06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Good lockeroom presence. As far as I'm concerned you might as well keep him on the IR as a good teammate who can dunk on Yao when called upon :smokin

nzkickass
06-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Hell yeah, that dunk he had on Yao was the highlight of the Olympics for me. Awesome

But honestly, why not give Marks alot more mins next season, coming off the bench for Timmy.

Gummi
06-28-2005, 03:00 AM
I think they'll bring him back. He's a teammate favorite. He brings a nice attitude and seems to a good practice player for the Spurs big man. If Marks doesn't mind playing much or anything at all, the Spurs should bring him back for next season.

I also like how possitive and cheerful he is on the bench. Watch him great the players and cheer for them on the bench can only be a possitive thing for the Spurs.

spursupporter
06-28-2005, 03:11 AM
yeah keep sean ! i believe tim and manu also do not want sean to be dropped.

Nbadan
06-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Under the new CBA rules, teams are allowed to carry up to 15 players on their roster. 12 active players and 3 inactive players who no longer have to fake a injury to go on IR, but the Spurs played only a 7 man roster in the Championship series. There is definitely room for Marks on this team.

ZStomp
06-28-2005, 05:19 AM

xcoriate
06-28-2005, 05:25 AM
its been a league wide scam the league has know about and put up with. They've now just made it legal with the new CBA.

DesiSpur_21
06-28-2005, 06:04 AM
- Apart from being close to Timmy and Manu, One coach (i think PJ) was saying he does a great job in the practices and always ready to help. He also said

- If you see during timeouts, this dude actually goes into the huddle (even with his street cloths) and seriously listens Pop's barkings.

Who knows may be he acts up as player-asst.coach next season :rolleyes

demandole
06-28-2005, 06:55 AM
He plays the same position that Luis Scola: the suceeding of Manu Ginoboli for the Spurs Fans. Remember that name LUIS SCOLA. Next year you'll remember that message. Some sources here in Argentina are saying that are a done deal the Spurs will bring him into the team for the next season.

NZHayden
06-28-2005, 06:59 AM
just a little something i read in the paper. sorry to be a bit of a buzz kill
link : http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10332977

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/untitled2.bmp

Basketball: Marks set to leave US for lucrative European courts

Just days after revelling in one of the greatest triumphs for a New Zealand basketballer, Sean Marks has signalled that his playing days in the United States are almost up.

The 29-year-old capped a stellar career with his first National Basketball Association (NBA) victory ring following the San Antonio Spurs' 4-3 series win over the Detroit Pistons last week.

Despite San Antonio's success, Marks, the first Kiwi to play in the NBA when signed by the New York Knicks in 1998, said pursuing his career in Europe was a matter of when, not if.

"Sure, one year at a time. Whenever it may be in the future, I'll probably end up going to Europe and playing over there," he told Slamsports website.

"That day will come. But just for the time being, I'm just soaking this up."

Heading across the Atlantic could also reap Marks a big pay rise on his current US$700,000 ($1 million) annual contract, with European clubs paying top-dollar for former NBA players, especially those who have won a championship.

With his wife expecting their second child, improved financial security must also be tempting.

A handful of Marks' former Tall Blacks team-mates already play in Europe, including Mark Dickel, Phill Jones and possibly Pero Cameron, who is being courted by Turkish clubs,

Marks, a 2.1m forward, played 23 regular-season games for the Spurs, but his court time was limited given that his opposition for a starting berth was NBA star Tim Duncan, who scooped his third MVP for the NBA final.

Marks failed to make the playing roster for the finals, but the experience, albeit limited to the practice court, still has the former Aucklander buzzing.

"To be part of a championship team is a dream come true, in the best league, too.

"This is a fantastic place to be, so I'm lucky to have spent a couple of years here."

Marks, who last week retired from internationals, leaving the Tall Blacks without one of their most battle-hardened and experienced players, admitted the lack of NBA game-time had become annoying.

"Sure, it's a little frustrating not being out there in games, helping out," he said.

"But in practice the guys will say 'Good job, way to go'.

"Timmy [Duncan] will come and grab me and say 'Hey, can you come and play some defence on me real quick?', so I love and cherish moments like that.

"This is the pinnacle of your sport. I don't know if there's anything bigger than this when you dream about the NBA as a 14- or 15-year-old kid.

"You see pictures of Michael Jordan kissing the trophy and now, being here, it makes me realise how much hard work it takes."

rwb
06-28-2005, 07:47 AM
I'd like to see Sean back next year. He's full of enthusiasm and isn't afraid to take a shot. He's a good fit on the Spurs. But if he goes, I wish him the best. He seems like an alright guy.

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Sean will probably be back, if for nothing else his ability to mimic opponents in practice. The addition of the new non-IR spots helps his chances.

Everyone wants him back and part of the team. Hopefully, it will work out.

NZHayden
06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
man theres alot of love in this room for this man, brings a tear to my eye :cry.
not really but u know what i mean

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 08:35 AM
We all want Marks around to do the Haka before playoff games next year. :lol

xcoriate
06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
^

Haha, bloody Haka. I'm so sick of the NZers and there Haka. The New Zealanders know what I mean.

He plays the same position that Luis Scola: the suceeding of Manu Ginoboli for the Spurs Fans. Remember that name LUIS SCOLA. Next year you'll remember that message. Some sources here in Argentina are saying that are a done deal the Spurs will bring him into the team for the next season.

Its ok dude, we all know who Scola is and none of us expect Marks to take minutes from him if/once he gets over here. We're all just giving a little love to Sean :)

NZHayden
06-28-2005, 08:44 AM
^ dude it can be arranged
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/nz-maori.jpg[/IMG]

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/tb_photos_04chch_hakapart.jpg

Jelly
06-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I can't believe they have a team in New Zealand called "The Tall Blacks"!

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 08:46 AM
:tu

That's great :lol

Rydia
06-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I like Marks too! He is our Cheerleader at away games (Along with Rasho now :D)

When they played the Suns in the shootaround he kept power dunking the ball....it was AWESOME! I like guys that will dunk in Amares face...hahaha

Keep him!

ObiwanGinobili
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I love Marks!!!
I really hopre he stays one more season.. who knows ? It could mean another ring! (and maybe he'd get on the playoff roster this time)
The article said he was planning a move to the Euro League, and that is was gonna happen - but not for sure this year.
Plus.. no pregnant woman wants to make a cross ocean move. It can wait.

timvp
06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Good luck in Europe.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:15 AM
29/06/2005
NZL - Marks puts family first

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=8004&r_cat=8&page=1

AUCKLAND (FIBA Oceania Championship) - While avoiding the "R" word – retirement – NBA champion Sean Marks has confirmed he is unlikely to wear the Burger King Tall Black singlet again.

Rumours of Marks' withdrawal from the programme have simmered for a couple of weeks and he finally made his decision public on the eve of the San Antonio Spurs' finals victory over the Detroit Pistons last week.

"I've given it a lot of thought and it was a tough decision to come by," he said after the Game Seven victory. "I've had a great run with the Tall Blacks and I've cherished every moment with the guys … they have been some of the best moments of my basketball career.

"But there comes a time in one's life when you've got to sit back and look at it. There are more important things in my life than just basketball.

"I've got a family to take care of and I can't afford to be spending my summers away from them. I've made the decision to no longer be a member of the Tall Blacks."

Marks and wife Jennifer already have one son – Aidan – and are expecting another in September.

"On another note, I don't think it's fair for me to miss Tall Black camps, their preparation and build-up, and just show up when I'm needed. I think there are guys that really put in time and effort back in New Zealand who deserve a shot, and hopefully this paves the way for some young guys to step up and fill those spots."

Marks, who attended the University of California Berkeley, became the first Kiwi in the NBA when he was drafted by the New York Knicks in 1998 and traded to Toronto Raptors almost immediately. He has been to two Olympics and the FIBA World Championships 2002 with the Burger King Tall Blacks, finishing second overall in rebounding (7.3) at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

But Marks' career has been plagued with injury and he missed most of the team's surprise run through to the world championship semifinals with an eye injury suffered against Argentina in pool play.

"I don't want to lead New Zealand basketball on," he says. "For now, this is permanent.

"If, in the future, things change and they will have me back, maybe that will be the case.

"But I can't see that happening for now... family comes first."

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Keep the Kiwi! :)