PDA

View Full Version : Big East left out of the power conferences in 2014

Pelicans78
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8620591/commissioners-discuss-access-bowl-limit-revenue-sharing-sources-say

The biggest difference in the revenue distribution, compared to the current BCS system, is that starting in 2014, five conferences -- the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC -- will receive the biggest slices of the revenue. In the current BCS system, the six automatic qualifying BCS leagues, those five plus the Big East, received the lion's share of the revenue.

Because the Big East's membership has had multiple defections in the past few years, the Big East drops from receiving an AQ share to paired with the Group of Five.

The commissioners reached that decision based on several factors, including the BCS rankings of the conferences since 1998 based on the conference's 2014 membership. For example, the Big 12 gets credit for West Virginia and TCU's past BCS rankings, the Big Ten gets credit for Nebraska, the SEC gets credit for Texas A&M and Missouri, the ACC gets credit for Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the Pac-12 for Utah and Colorado and the Big East gets credit for Boise State, Houston and UCF. The Mountain West and Conference USA also get credit for their new members.

This is pretty big news. Those teams moving to the Big East have to be shell-shocked.

Blake
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm betting the big 12 invites two of those schools.

Maybe Boise, Louisville or Houston.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
:wow

The big east just got told to go sit at the little kids table.

In the new format, which the Sports Business Journal reported could be worth $7.3 billion over 12 years, the power five leagues will each receive an equal share, which will dwarf the compensation of the remaining five leagues (Big East, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American), called the Group of Five.

While the Group of Five will receive substantially less than the Power Five leagues, sources said the commissioners are in favor of the highest-rated champion from the Group of Five receiving guaranteed access to one of the six access bowls.

So the big east no longer gets a big boy share and their auto-bid now becomes a shared one amongst the Big East/CUSA/Mtn West/Sun Belt/Mid-American.

Pelicans78
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm betting the big 12 invites two of those schools.

Maybe Boise, Louisville or Houston.

Maybe, but they seemed to be content with 10 schools. They seem to be ok not having a championship game since it makes it easier for their team to get a potential title shot.

I could see L'Ville, but not Houston. Not sure about Boise either.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
This is pretty big news. Those teams moving to the Big East have to be shell-shocked.

Yep. It does really suck for Boise/Houston/et al who thought they had successfully worked their way into an AQ conference only to see the Big East knocked back down to equal status of the conferences they left.

Pelicans78
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Yep. It does really suck for Boise/Houston/et al who thought they had successfully worked their way into an AQ conference only to see the Big East knocked back down to equal status of the conferences they left.

Definitely. Still, I don't think the Big East should be included with the other 5 at this point. They're basically a collection of mid-majors at this point.

If I was Boise and San Diego St, I would think about staying in the Mountain West unless the Big East has a much better TV deal.

DesignatedT
11-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Good.

that will lock up seven of the 12 berths in the six access bowls along with the Rose (Pac-12 vs. Big Ten); Sugar (Big 12 vs. SEC) and Orange (ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame). The other five berths will be filled with at-large teams chosen, based on their final rankings, by a yet-to-be-formed selection committee.

SEC domination.

Pelicans78
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Good.

SEC domination.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with realignment if everybody knew this was coming last year. It wouldn't have affected the Nebraska/Colorado/A&M/Mizzou decisions, but it could have meant that the WAC would have survived instead of the Big East.

DesignatedT
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Would love to see how those at large bids would work out right now with 6 SEC teams in the top 9.

Pelicans78
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Would love to see how those at large bids would work out right now with 6 SEC teams in the top 9.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Georgia/LSU matchup, Texas A&M versus South Carolina and Bama vs Florida (Actually Bama would probably shut them out).

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Looks to me like all 6 SEC teams would get in.

Auto bids for the Power 5 conf champs: K-State, Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, Nebraska
Auto bid for the highest ranked champ from the Group Of Five: Lousiville
6 at large bids: ND, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, SC

DesignatedT
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
:lmao imagine the outrage if that would happen.

ThePop
11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Looks to me like all 6 SEC teams would get in.

Auto bids for the Power 5 conf champs: K-State, Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, Nebraska
Auto bid for the highest ranked champ from the Group Of Five: Lousiville
6 at large bids: ND, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, SC

Who would face who? Would all these teams be in a playoff?

Blake
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Only two teams per conference can be in BCS bowls

Blake
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
:lmao imagine the outrage if that would happen.

It won't. You're an idiot.

DesignatedT
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Only two teams per conference can be in BCS bowls

It won't. You're an idiot.

Are you that fucking stupid you missed the whole point of the thread? :lmao Fucking typical tech tard

Here you go dipshit:

. Conferences also will not be limited to how many teams it can send to access bowls.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Lol

Clipper Nation
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
If I was Boise and San Diego St, I would think about staying in the Mountain West

:lmao

Ridiculous, that conference is completely inept... Boise and SDSU are leaving for a reason, tbh...

Blake
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Are you that fucking stupid you missed the whole point of the thread? :lmao Fucking typical tech tard

Here you go dipshit:

The point of the thread was the big east getting left out of the power five.

I can't believe the commissioners are taking away the two per conference rule. What a bunch of bastards.

Blake
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Here you go dipshit:

The point of the thread was the big east getting left out of the power five.

I can't believe the commissioners are taking away the two per conference rule. What a bunch of bastards.

coyotes_geek
11-13-2012, 12:35 AM
More details here (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/20954200/bcs-presidents-approve-access-for-non-bcs-schools-in-playoff).

The cliff notes version:

6 access bowls. 12 teams. 4 of the 12 will be in a 4 team playoff for National Champion.

2 bowls get to host semifinal games. Other 4 are basically just what the non-championship BCS bowl games are now. Semifinals to rotate through the 6 access bowls.

Championship game is not part of the 6 access bowls. Location determined Superbowl style, i.e. cities bid on it.

Bids for the 12 teams as follows:
5 auto bids to the Power 5 conf champs.
1 auto bid to the highest rated Group Of Five conf champ.
SEC and Big 10 get an additional autobid apiece.
4 at large bids

The Reckoning
11-13-2012, 01:14 AM
playoffs.

spurs1990
11-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I feel better just knowing Boise will be on the schedule every year. the nBE schools simply need to set themselves up for the next round of alignment. I'm hoping every conference gets to 14, opening up 8 slots. - Notre Dame, BYU, Louisville, Cincy, Boise will be first to in.

That leaves 3 spots for the rest of us to fight over.

Blake
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I really think sooner or later Houston gets invited to the big xii.

Pelicans78
11-15-2012, 09:39 AM

I don't see it. They don't generate alot of revenue in any of their sports. They don't have good facilities either and their football program will be done for awhile now. Their football stadium is real shitty especially in the later afternoons when the sun is blaring in everyone's eyes. Big 12 would be better off with other schools. Plus, I've heard they seem content with 10 teams right now and really aren't interested in a conference championship game which only hurts teams fighting for a national championship. Wouldn't surprise me if they expand either.

coyotes_geek
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
I feel better just knowing Boise will be on the schedule every year. the nBE schools simply need to set themselves up for the next round of alignment. I'm hoping every conference gets to 14, opening up 8 slots. - Notre Dame, BYU, Louisville, Cincy, Boise will be first to in.

I don't see a major round of realignment anytime soon. Things are pretty stable right now with the Power 5 conferences. The SEC/Pac/B1G would only be interested in expanding if they could get some Big12 or ACC teams. But with the B12 teams having given away their TV rights to the conference for the next 13 years and the ACC upping their exit fee to $50mil + adding ND as a psuedo-member, both those conferences seem to have successfully locked themselves down. There may be a minor round of realignment if the big12 decides they need a conf championship game, but that would just involve the B12 picking up a couple of BigEast/CUSA teams. That's not going to be a significant enough move to make the SEC, Pac or B1G feel like they have to do something.

The only thing I see that could spur another massive realignment like we've seen the last few years would be Texas blowing up the Big12 after the current grant-of-rights agreement expires.

coyotes_geek
11-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Very doubtful. Doesn't expand the conference's TV footprint since Texas is already a much bigger presence in the Houston market than Houston could ever be and all the B12 schools rely on the Houston area for recruiting. The last thing they want to do is give those kids an opportunity to play B12 football from their hometown. Same reasons why UofH didn't get to tag along with Texas and A&M when the SWC blew up.

Blake
11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I would have said that about TCU and the DFW area as well before, but here they are. True that adding Houston adds no extra TVs to the Big 12, but it keeps another conference from adding that market.

Houston is a strange school. They have some nice history in both football and basketball, a large enrollment of undergrads (40k?), and nice academics- primed to be a flagship school

Yet they are incredibly apathetic towards sports. Maybe it's still a commuter school? Maybe they are always second fiddle to the pro teams? Dunno, but I think if they start talking Big 12, I think they get energized.

the Big 12 will get back to 12 in the next 5 years, imo. Coaches/ADs might not want a conference title game, but there is just too much money that comes from a title game to ignore it for very long.

I think Louisville gets in first, and the invite will go out to BYU.

I think BYU turns it down and the remaining list of candidates for the 12 spot becomes very short. I think it ends up being Houston.

Blake
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Also it sucks ass to call it the Big 12 when it only has 10 teams.

coyotes_geek
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
The same things that kept UH out of the Big 12 originally also kept TCU out, but once the Big12 dropped down to 8 teams the B12 didn't have the luxury of being choosey. They needed warm bodies to get back to 10 teams and TCU had some BCS credibility. Now that the conference is stable again, they can go back to being picky.

UH's main problem is that there's just too much competition for the city's sports attention. Texas, A&M and probably even LSU have a bigger Houston following than UH does, plus there's also the NFL to compete with. They started to make up some ground the past few years, but then A&M came along and stole their coach. Still, it says a lot about UH's potential that Texas and A&M don't want to see UH given an opportunity.

spurs1990
11-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I think Blake had a valid outlook for us getting to the B12 potentially.

The city of Houston produces prospects every year and should be repped in the big 5. LA, Dallas, Miami are examples.

Also with ATM playing in the east, that may diminish reticence among the current B12 group. And of course I'm thinking this occurs 5-7 year down the line.

coyotes_geek
11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Also with ATM playing in the east, that may diminish reticence among the current B12 group. And of course I'm thinking this occurs 5-7 year down the line.

I'd think the opposite is more likely, IMHO. Big 12 schools recruiting the Houston area are already facing increased competition as a result of A&M now being able to offer SEC football less than two hours from home. What's it going to do to those schools Houston area recruiting to let UH come in and start offering kids the opportunity to play big 12 football in their hometown? That may not be all that much of a threat to Texas and OU recruiting, but Tech, Baylor, OKState and the Kansaii sure stand to lose a lot if UH gets in.

vander
11-16-2012, 05:57 PM

I don't see Boise ever getting into the Big 5. BSU peaked, and there isn't close to the money/infrastructure behind BSU football as there is in the Big 5 level programs. we lucked out with a string of coaches, each one better than the last, and QBs, each one better than the last. The QB run has come to an end, and now with Bleymaier gone, BSU will regress back to an average/afterthought program if we lose Peterson, which, If Chip Kelly bolts to the NFL...

Clipper Nation
11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Another shitful take from Vander, tbh...

Boise hasn't peaked... this is a reloading year, tbh.... according to you, the program should have peaked after our 3-loss season with Tharp, right? But then Kellen Moore happened...

Boise was still in contention for a BCS bowl this year until injuries and suspensions did us in against SDSU.... this was with a lot of our starters leaving for the NFL....

If you think Boise would turn down an invite from the PAC or Big 12, you're dumber than I thought.... they need the money and the leverage against the Vandal-humping state government to improve academically.....

vander
11-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Another shitful take from Vander, tbh...

Boise hasn't peaked... this is a reloading year, tbh.... according to you, the program should have peaked after our 3-loss season with Tharp, right? But then Kellen Moore happened...

Boise was still in contention for a BCS bowl this year until injuries and suspensions did us in against SDSU.... this was with a lot of our starters leaving for the NFL....

If you think Boise would turn down an invite from the PAC or Big 12, you're dumber than I thought.... they need the money and the leverage against the Vandal-humping state government to improve academically.....

who said anything about turn down? there's a reason the Pac 12 invited the likes of Colorado instead of BSU

Bleymaier was the genius, not enough people, even BSU fans, realize this. without him, and without the legions of alumni/donors that the bigtime programs have (as well as being located in "better" climates and closer to all the HS talent) BSU will come back down to the level one would expect of a little school in little Boise Idaho

Pelicans78
11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
PAC 12 or Big 12 probably won't invite Boise, especially the PAC 12.

FkLA
11-17-2012, 03:36 PM
UTSA to Big XII !!!!

Clipper Nation
11-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Bleymaier was the genius, not enough people, even BSU fans, realize this. without him, and without the legions of alumni/donors that the bigtime programs have (as well as being located in "better" climates and closer to all the HS talent) BSU will come back down to the level one would expect of a little school in little Boise Idaho
Bleymaier's not coaching the team or recruiting the players, tbh.... considering how many of our starters from last year graduated, a down year was to be expected, tbh... it happens at nearly every program...

spurs1990
11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Well what do you know. The conference hopping has started earlier than expected.

Race to 16 is on. No way the Bevo Conference stands pat at 10...Cincy/Louis/Boise/UH....please DeLoss 3 big markets and the biggest non AQ on the block. No brainer.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Check out the big balls on Maryland. I wonder where the hell they managed/will manage to scrape up $50mil for that ACC exit fee.

DesignatedT
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I wonder what Mizzou think about the B1G taking Rutgers and Maryland :lol. Mizzou had practically been begging for an invite for the longest time.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Well what do you know. The conference hopping has started earlier than expected.

Race to 16 is on. No way the Bevo Conference stands pat at 10...Cincy/Louis/Boise/UH....please DeLoss 3 big markets and the biggest non AQ on the block. No brainer.

That's one scenario.

Another is the ACC simply plucks Louisville away from the Big East which balances out both of those conferences and this round of realignment stops right there.

Then again, maybe a couple of schools out of the UNC/NCState/Virginia/VTech quartet decide this might be a good time to lob the SEC a phonecall.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I wonder what Mizzou think about the B1G taking Rutgers and Maryland :lol. Mizzou had practically been begging for an invite for the longest time.

The Mizzou fans I know pretty much lost interest in the Big10 after Nebraska got the invite over them. Anecdotal, but still.......

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Another is the ACC simply plucks Louisville away from the Big East which balances out both of those conferences and this round of realignment stops right there.
I don't think anyone's lining up to join the ACC, tbh... aren't Free Shoes U, Clemmy, and GT trying to leave?

Louisville and Boise to the Big 12 would be the smartest play, tbh... Cincy and Houston will be returning to Conference USA ecstacy if that happens imho...

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't think anyone's lining up to join the ACC, tbh... aren't Free Shoes U, Clemmy, and GT trying to leave?

Louisville and Boise to the Big 12 would be the smartest play, tbh... Cincy and Houston will be returning to Conference USA ecstacy if that happens imho...

Sort of agree. TBH I think the only schools that are really excited about being in the ACC are Duke, UNC, Virginia and Wake Forest. Everyone else is pretty much just going along with it due to lack of better options. That being said, the ACC still has a seat at the big boy table and the big east just lost theirs, so the ACC can make a pretty tempting offer to any school not already in one of the Power 5 conferences.

I don't see the big 12 doing anything right now. I think they'd rather sit tight and guage the ACC's long term stability before doing anything.

Blake
11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Check out the big balls on Maryland. I wonder where the hell they managed/will manage to scrape up $50mil for that ACC exit fee.

Why are they wanting to move so badly

NFO
11-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Why are they wanting to move so badly

1) More $$$ available in the Big 10

2) Notre Dame got involved in their conference.

Didn't really see a charrter member of the ACC bolting. Wonder if FSU would be next. They were the other school besides Maryland that voted against the higher exit fees.

Blake
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
1) More $$$ available in the Big 10

Exactly how much more

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Here's a tin foil hat scenario for the college football realignment enthusiast.

SEC: 14 teams. 2 spots available to get to 16. Interested in expanding into the Virginia/North Carolina TV markets.
B1G: 14 teams. 2 spots available to get to 16. Interested in expanding their TV markets, be it Virginia, North Carolina, New York or Massachusetts.
Big12: 10 teams. 6 spots available to get to 16. Interested in killing the ACC to ensure their own survival.

Those three conferences conspire to kill the ACC.

SEC takes North Carolina and Virginia.

B1G gets their choice of two out of the VirginiaTech/NCState/Syracuse/BostonCollege quartet.

Big12 takes FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh and whatever two schools the B1G didn't take.

Duke, Miami and Wake Forest end up fucked, a scenario which only Duke, Miami and Wake Forest give a shit about.

NFO
11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Exactly how much more

$1

NFO
11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Here's a tin foil hat scenario for the college football realignment enthusiast.

Where do you think ND ends up in that scenario, if any?

Blake
11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
$1

Doubtful.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Where do you think ND ends up in that scenario, if any?

Independent in football, everything else back in the new and improved, super big east along with new members Duke, Miami and Wake Forest. :)

NFO
11-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Doubtful.

Perhaps.

Don't think anyone knows how much more exactly until cable deals are reached, TV rights renegotiated, etc...

There may be estimates on those types of numbers, but I haven't looked to see if they are available.

I would think with the Big Ten Network the average revenue per team is higher in the Big Ten then what an ACC school receives. I'm sure that will change with schools swapping places, but who really knows the exact effect until after a few years has gone by.

NFO
11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Independent in football, everything else back in the new and improved, super big east along with new members Duke, Miami and Wake Forest. :)

Those Domers will do anything to hold onto that football independence. :hat

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Those Domers will do anything to hold onto that football independence. :hat

With ND already agreed to move their non-football sports to the ACC and to play 5 football games against ACC opponents, I wonder if Maryland's exit fee would be enough to convince ND to play Maryland's full conference schedule, thus eliminating the need for the ACC to add another team.

If that happened, that probably saves the ACC for the forseeable future. That puts all the eyes back on the big12 to see if they can keep it together once the grant of rights expires, or if by that time Texas has given up on the lhn and decided it's time to drag Tech and the Okies to the Pac.

NFO
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
With ND already agreed to move their non-football sports to the ACC and to play 5 football games against ACC opponents, I wonder if Maryland's exit fee would be enough to convince ND to play Maryland's full conference schedule, thus eliminating the need for the ACC to add another team.

I think the ACC will scramble to add someone else for all sports, but it won't be Notre Dame. They may ask ND, but they will get a polite and private "No Thanks"

ND is not that concerned about money. ND wants control, I don't think they would get that if they just replaced Maryland.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I think the ACC will scramble to add someone else for all sports, but it won't be Notre Dame. They may ask ND, but they will get a polite and private "No Thanks"

ND is not that concerned about money. ND wants control, I don't think they would get that if they just replaced Maryland.

Agree that would probably be ND's response. At that point I think the ACC would just add Louisville and that would be it for movement among the Power 5 conferences. The big east would be at 10 teams and may or may not feel motivated to add a couple CUSA teams at that point.

Blake
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Perhaps.

Don't think anyone knows how much more exactly until cable deals are reached, TV rights renegotiated, etc...

There may be estimates on those types of numbers, but I haven't looked to see if they are available.

I would think with the Big Ten Network the average revenue per team is higher in the Big Ten then what an ACC school receives. I'm sure that will change with schools swapping places, but who really knows the exact effect until after a few years has gone by.

So you don't really know why they want to leave.

I didn't think so.

NFO
11-19-2012, 03:42 PM
So you don't really know why they want to leave.

I didn't think so.

There is the retarded fuckstick I know.

Never said I didn't know why they wanted to leave. You obviously didn't read post #48 very well. Shocker

NFO
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Agree that would probably be ND's response. At that point I think the ACC would just add Louisville and that would be it for movement among the Power 5 conferences. The big east would be at 10 teams and may or may not feel motivated to add a couple CUSA teams at that point.

That sounds to simple and makes sense.

No way it gets done. :hat

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
It is quite the mystery why Maryland would want to leave for the big 10. Fortunately for blake, someone else was curious enough about this to ask Maryland's president about it. Even took the time to write a whole article about it.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Maryland is joining the Big Ten, leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference in a shocker of a move in the world of conference realignment that was driven by the school's budget woes.

The announcement came Monday at a news conference with school President Wallace D. Loh, Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and athletic director Kevin Anderson.

''The membership of the Big Ten enables us to guarantee the financial sustainability of Maryland athletics for a long, long, long time,'' Loh said.

Loh added that Maryland athletics has been living ''paycheck to paycheck.'' The school had eliminated seven sports programs earlier this year.

''The director and I are absolutely committed to begin the process to reinstate some of the teams we had to terminate,'' Loh said.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maryland-announce-move-big-ten-160742715--ncaaf.html;_ylt=AscDdyN3vgyq0oun5KiKsDkcvrYF;_ylu= X3oDMTRvajNqOHA0BG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE5DQU FGIEhlYWRsaW5lcwRwa2cDMzc3ZTFmNzMtNDlkNi0zOWQ5LWJk MGEtY2U1M2ZmMTI1MDBiBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJMaXN0TW l4ZWRMUENBVGVtcAR2ZXIDYTkwYjlhZTAtMzI4Ny0xMWUyLWJm ZmQtMDBkY2EzM2E4NDVk;_ylg=X3oDMTFqdXByMzhlBGludGwD dXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuY2FhZgRwdA NzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3)

What'dya know? It's about the money. Never saw that coming........

FkLA
11-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Maryland is a basketball school...with teams like Duke, UNC, WF, Syracuse, and Pitt why in the hell would they bolt.

Why are other conferences conspiring to kill the ACC too ?

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Maryland is a basketball school...with teams like Duke, UNC, WF, Syracuse, and Pitt why in the hell would they bolt.

$$$

Why are other conferences conspiring to kill the ACC too ?

$$$

DesignatedT
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Yep. All about the dollars and nothing else.

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Something else to think about with this latest realignment round. How much longer until San Diego State and Boise State realize there's no longer any benefit or point to them being in the Big East? Both those schools should be talking to the Moutain West right about now.

Blake
11-19-2012, 05:06 PM
There is the retarded fuckstick I know.

Never said I didn't know why they wanted to leave. You obviously didn't read post #48 very well. Shocker

I read your post very well, fuckstick. I asked a question, you answered as a matter of fact, fuckstick.

Next time, say it's a guess, fuckstick or don't get so butthurt when I call you out, fuckstick.

But I'm betting you'll stay butthurt, fuckstick. It's what you do.

Blake
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Yep. All about the dollars and nothing else.

For Maryland yes. For Aggy, no.

Clipper Nation
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Something else to think about with this latest realignment round. How much longer until San Diego State and Boise State realize there's no longer any benefit or point to them being in the Big East? Both those schools should be talking to the Moutain West right about now.

There's REALLY no benefit or point to staying in the Mountain Worst with their shitful television contract, tbh...

NFO
11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I read your post very well

Now comes the real question. How many times did you have to read it so that you actually understood it?

Over/Under is 10.5

Blake
11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Smh ohio

coyotes_geek
11-19-2012, 10:39 PM
There's REALLY no benefit or point to staying in the Mountain Worst with their shitful television contract, tbh...

Yeah, I think you're right. Even without Rutgers and whoever the ACC takes, the Big East is still in more major media markets than the Moutain West would be. Probably the right move for them to stay committed to the BE.

Edit: Although this story (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8653727/boise-state-broncos-sdsu-aztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say) is now out there on ESPN.

coyotes_geek
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Tulane, East Carolina joining Big East (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8682572/tulane-join-big-east-conference-all-sports-east-carolina-join-just-football-sources-said)

UTSA, please proceed to the on-deck circle. You're up next for a Big East callup.

MannyIsGod
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Good luck in the "big" East, BSU and SDSU. Turns out AF, BYU, and Fresno all turned down invites.

spurs1990
11-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow mixed feelings. I love the ECU addition - they're really a great fan base for football. But um, Tulane is a head scratcher with their abysmal attendance but I'm sure New Orleans tv market came into play.

I'm hoping the ACC only picks up one of the big 3 programs left in the BE, preferably UConn. Hopefully Navy can come in a year earlier and then we'd have the following divisions for 2014:

West
Boise / UH / San Diego St / SMU / Tulane / Temple / Memphis

East
Cincy / Louisville / S Florida / Central Fla / E Carolina / Navy

It literally is a reconfig of CUSA teams from 10 years ago but like I said, Boise is going to make it work for the long run. That East division will be especially tough.

Clipper Nation
11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I just hope the Big 12 saves Boise from this pathetic Big Least vs. Mtn Worst dilemma....

Homeland Security
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
There is a decent chance the Big East votes to disband, at least as a football conference. There is not much point in further cobbling together nationwide also-rans to preserve a conference that doesn't even have an automatic BCS bid anymore.

To explain: the current basketball-only schools can control their own destiny if they act before the most recent batch of recruited schools (UH, SMU, etc.) join. They can disband the Big East and then re-associate sans Louisville/Connecticut (whichever doesn't go ACC), Cincinnati, and USF. If those schools then want to rejoin, they'd have to agree to let go of the football expansion silliness.

Homeland Security
11-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I just hope the Big 12 saves Boise from this pathetic Big Least vs. Mtn Worst dilemma....
Boise State is going to get left out in the cold by the big conferences in the race for 2014 for two reasons:
1) Nobody cares very much about whether their conference TV network is on basic cable in Idaho.
2) Boise State is somewhere around #95 in athletic department budget. Nobody outside the top 75 will get even a sniff.
MWC is the best option, especially if the Big East defectors repatriate.

FkLA
11-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Are you a Boise St alumn? A Boise resident?

There is a decent chance the Big East votes to disband, at least as a football conference. There is not much point in further cobbling together nationwide also-rans to preserve a conference that doesn't even have an automatic BCS bid anymore.

No reason to do that imo. Theyre still the most attractive non-AQ conference and can take their pick of anyone from the MAC, Sunbelt, CUSA, and certain MWC teams.

Homeland Security
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM

No reason to do that imo. Theyre still the most attractive non-AQ conference and can take their pick of anyone from the MAC, Sunbelt, CUSA, and certain MWC teams.

As I mentioned above, the basketball-only schools are growing weary of being jerked around with football expansion, and may choose to act before the new schools join.

coyotes_geek
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Not going to happen. The Big 12 is going to sit tight and see if the ACC implodes or not. The big 12 would much rather have 6 seats in the lifeboat to offer ACC refugees if that conference folds instead of only 4 with Boise and some other Big East/CUSA team already on board.

Homeland Security
11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Not going to happen. The Big 12 is going to sit tight and see if the ACC implodes or not. The big 12 would much rather have 6 seats in the lifeboat to offer ACC refugees if that conference folds instead of only 4 with Boise and some other Big East/CUSA team already on board.
I think there are only 5 or 6 teams up for grabs total, other conferences with more to offer are also pursuing them, and the Big 12 will get the schools two other conferences don't want, though for the Big 12's purposes those will be terrific additions.

coyotes_geek
11-27-2012, 06:45 PM
I think there are only 5 or 6 teams up for grabs total, other conferences with more to offer are also pursuing them, and the Big 12 will get the schools two other conferences don't want, though for the Big 12's purposes those will be terrific additions.

As far as the SEC/B1G are concerned there's proobably only 5 or 6 teams that those two would be interested in. But from there the rest of the conference is there for the B12's choosing. I don't see a scenario where the SEC would take two teams, the B1G takes two teams and the Big12 takes anything less than 6 teams.

Clipper Nation
11-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Tbh, I feel like the other school (if they invited Boise) would have to be BYU, which wouldn't be a bad addition.... solid academics, solid athletics, large national following.....

spurs1990
11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
What is this all about, money or prestige, for the programs looking in towards the power conferences?

Think about it, Boise or Louisiville simply need to run the table with their schedule in the nBE and they will be in a BCS game...more often than not probably in the Final Four. Ultimately, they will get the same funds that teams like Minnesota or Ole Miss generate for just being in their respective conferences. Only difference being the latter two will get the $ no matter what the record is.

Secondarily, those two 'power' schools, for example, will hardly sniff any chance for a BCS bowl. Maybe that money will help their overall athletic program but surely isn't doing much with the football team. And spare me the "conference is too tough" excuse, because you had Kansas a game away from winning the Big 12 and Wake Forest actually winning the ACC in just the last 7 seasons. I believe Louisville/Boise are in better shape football wise as we stand right now above them and maybe a dozen other power schools.

Now if Boise also desires to be affiliated with these so-called prestigious programs, what good will that really do them? They're already a prominent name in the college football world, and I seriously doubt their academic standing will be lifted just because they're associated with the Big 12. If a certain Pac 10 school's academic reputation hasn't improved in their 34 years coupled beside Stanford and co, I'm guessing being aligned with UT-Austin won't either in that regard.

I still like the nBE going forward as a fine alternate option to the 'big 5' and can envision BYU/Air Force hopping aboard eventually when their supposed window of movement is effectively closed, and I think the leftover teams can consolidate now that regional proximity is completely irrelevant in college football bracketing.

Pelicans78
11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Tulane has alot of potential if they can shit their shit together. They dominated C-USA in the late 90s in football and baseball and had a strong B-ball program in the 90s. Alot of talent in New Orleans and Louisiana. They have new football, basketball, and baseball facilities. They need to start winning again in those 3 sports.

coyotes_geek
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Tbh, I feel like the other school (if they invited Boise) would have to be BYU, which wouldn't be a bad addition.... solid academics, solid athletics, large national following.....

BYU has a hell of a lot more to offer than West Virginia, yet after BYU and the B12 talked last year it was WV who got spot #10. Sure looks like one side or the other doesn't think it would be a good fit.

BradLohaus
11-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I grew up when Big East football was basically Miami and the yankee Bball schools. The writing was on the wall when the U left.

So for the known future:

PAC = 12 teams
BIG = 14
Big 12 = 10
SEC = 14
ACC = 13 plus ND

That's 64... how perfect.

Pelicans78
11-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I grew up when Big East football was basically Miami and the yankee Bball schools. The writing was on the wall when the U left.

So for the known future:

PAC = 12 teams
BIG = 14
Big 12 = 10
SEC = 14
ACC = 13 plus ND

That's 64... how perfect.

It is perfect, but the ACC will add either Louisville or UConn.

If I was the Big 12, I wouldn't add anyone.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Which MWC would that be? The ultra terrible ones in football? Because the top programs just turned them down and now that they've lost Louisville I really doubt any of these small schools are in a hurry to boost travel costs for a non existent TV contract.

FkLA
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Louisville to ACC instead of UConn, alittle surprising tbh.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Not surprising at all. Louisville has the better football program. It was said yesterday that it was basically either Louisville or nobody.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't give a shit what BSU does because their basketball program is meh but I would love for SDSU to come back. I couldn't care much less about MWC football but basketball is great. The conference was the best out west last year and probably this year too. SDSU, UNLV and UNM make a great base for basketball.

I love what the ACC is becoming.

coyotes_geek
11-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Louisville to ACC instead of UConn, alittle surprising tbh.

The academic snobs wanted UConn, but Florida State and Clemson wanted the best football program available. FSU and Clemson finally won a round.

FkLA
11-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Yep, UConn seemed to be a perfect match with the basketball schools in the ACC and is more similar to Maryland than Louisville. Im sure it helps that Louisville is solid in bball but still it definitely seems like the football schools had a say in this.

FkLA
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Which MWC would that be? The ultra terrible ones in football? Because the top programs just turned them down and now that they've lost Louisville I really doubt any of these small schools are in a hurry to boost travel costs for a non existent TV contract.

Its only because of travel that some MWC wouldnt jump ship. The MWC contract isnt very attractive, I dont think its unreasonable to assume that whatever contract the BE ends up getting will still be better than the MWCs. Still the most attractive non-AQ conference imo although tbf the MWC seems like the most stable one atm.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Travel plays a role but the bigger role is that BSU and SDSU just paid exit fees to leave the conference for more money and are likely to have to pay exit fees AGAIN before next season to find new homes or THE SAME home. The Big East isn't attractive at all to most teams because of the uncertainty. Whether or not its more attractive than the MWC will be seen when BSU and SDSU make their decisions but even if it is thats not saying much. The MWC contract has a few years left and then its going to get much better.

yavozerb
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
The academic snobs wanted UConn, but Florida State and Clemson wanted the best football program available. FSU and Clemson finally won a round.

In the end I think what is going to do the ACC in is the amount of tv revenue they will be receiving. It is considerably lower than the sec, b12, and b10 even with lvile going on board. One major team leaves like FSU then I think everyone jumps over board looking for better payouts from other conf.

DesignatedT
11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
It is perfect, but the ACC will add either Louisville or UConn.

If I was the Big 12, I wouldn't add anyone.

Big12 needs a championship game. You just saw this season that a 1 loss big12 school will have trouble making the 4 team playoff while there might be 3 SEC teams in it if it was in effect this season. Someone is going to have to run the table to have a chance at the MNC.

leemajors
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Big12 needs a championship game. You just saw this season that a 1 loss big12 school will have trouble making the 4 team playoff while there might be 3 SEC teams in it if it was in effect this season. Someone is going to have to run the table to have a chance at the MNC.

A 4 team playoff system that could possibly result in 3 teams from one conference in it would be just as much of a failure as the BCS has been.

Clipper Nation
11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
1) Nobody cares very much about whether their conference TV network is on basic cable in Idaho.
Duh, no shit.... the point in regards to TV would be to increase ratings revenue by adding a prominent program...

2) Boise State is somewhere around #95 in athletic department budget. Nobody outside the top 75 will get even a sniff.
Last I checked, they were around 84th in athletic budget.... Utah and Mississippi State's budgets (two AQ programs) aren't much bigger....

Clipper Nation
11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Travel plays a role but the bigger role is that BSU and SDSU just paid exit fees to leave the conference for more money and are likely to have to pay exit fees AGAIN before next season to find new homes or THE SAME home.
Actually, both schools have an out in their contracts allowing them to leave for free if the Big Least is too unstable or fails to add competitive programs.....

DesignatedT
11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
A 4 team playoff system that could possibly result in 3 teams from one conference in it would be just as much of a failure as the BCS has been.

That's what's going to happen when conferences like the big12 are scared of playing a championship game and EARNING there way into the top 4. Make the computers put you in there by adding the championship game and playing non-conference opponents worth a damn. It's not very difficult to figure out.

The SEC plays the best year in and year out and ends up being ranked high.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Actually, both schools have an out in their contracts allowing them to leave for free if the Big Least is too unstable or fails to add competitive programs.....

LOL good luck getting that to work. The Big East just added Tulane after all. If that is a competitive program you're fucked.

leemajors
11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
That's what's going to happen when conferences like the big12 are scared of playing a championship game and EARNING there way into the top 4. Make the computers put you in there by adding the championship game and playing non-conference opponents worth a damn. It's not very difficult to figure out.

The SEC plays the best year in and year out and ends up being ranked high.

If the system could possibly result in that, it's not good enough. Sorry.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Honestly no system outside of a full playoff will ever be good enough.

FkLA
11-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Middle Tennessee State from the Sunbelt accepts bid to CUSA. Replacement for East Carolina in eastern division of CUSA.

coyotes_geek
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
In the end I think what is going to do the ACC in is the amount of tv revenue they will be receiving. It is considerably lower than the sec, b12, and b10 even with lvile going on board. One major team leaves like FSU then I think everyone jumps over board looking for better payouts from other conf.

Yep. The ACC is definitely one domino away from a total collapse. That first domino is going to be an SEC or Big10 defection though. FSU and Clemson want to give the ACC every possible chance to succeed before they bail out. Despite the ACC's TV revenue lagging behind the other big boy conferences at the moment, the ACC still has a chance to put together a conference network. A new ACC network isn't going to get the ACC schools making more money than the Big10, SEC or the Pac will be getting with their networks, but it could get them more money than the Big12 which will never have a conference network.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Pisses me off how football runs everything. Ruining good basketball conferences to make mediocre football conferences.

DesignatedT
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
No system is ever going to be good enough.

DesignatedT
11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Even if we were at an 8 team playoff right now there would be 4 SEC teams in it and A&M would currently be left out at #9. It's always going to be fucked.

leemajors
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
College football is really entertaining, but it is stupid. The wide hash marks are stupid, the BCS is stupid, the OT is stupid, the smaller football is stupid, so on and so forth.

DesignatedT
11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I'll take it over watching that shitty ass NFL product any day of the week.

leemajors
11-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I've always enjoyed college football, but I would take NFL any day over it.

Pelicans78
11-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I really don't want to see a 8-16 team playoffs unless home field advantages were involved. Otherwise it would damage the regular season. Even the 4 team playoff will hurt the regular season a bit unless the first two seeds were given home games in the first round.

JoeTait75
11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I really don't want to see a 8-16 team playoffs unless home field advantages were involved. Otherwise it would damage the regular season. Even the 4 team playoff will hurt the regular season a bit unless the first two seeds were given home games in the first round.

A 16-team playoff with the higher seeds hosting at least the first two rounds would be perfect. Give auto-bids to every conference champion and have five at-large selections. That's basically what the FCS does and it works fine for them.

leemajors
11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
A 16-team playoff with the higher seeds hosting at least the first two rounds would be perfect. Give auto-bids to every conference champion and have five at-large selections. That's basically what the FCS does and it works fine for them.

makes too much sense

Homeland Security
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Yep. The ACC is definitely one domino away from a total collapse. That first domino is going to be an SEC or Big10 defection though. FSU and Clemson want to give the ACC every possible chance to succeed before they bail out. Despite the ACC's TV revenue lagging behind the other big boy conferences at the moment, the ACC still has a chance to put together a conference network. A new ACC network isn't going to get the ACC schools making more money than the Big10, SEC or the Pac will be getting with their networks, but it could get them more money than the Big12 which will never have a conference network.
I disagree with your assessment. Florida State is the party driving all the instability in the ACC right now. The B1G pushed over the first domino, but FSU is the next one in line. They, and by they I mean Jimbo Fisher, believe their conference affiliation is holding their football program back from competing for national championships. Clemson will go where Florida State goes.

FSU would join the SEC tomorrow if it could, but there's no way that happens. UF, UGA, and USC want no part of FSU or Clemson. Adding those teams adds zero value to the SEC Network, because they overlap with existing SEC markets. The B1G is not interested in FSU or Clemson because they regard AAU membership as part of their DNA. That leaves the Big 12. If the ACC falls apart, the Big 12 makes the next move and takes FSU and Clemson. Texas will try to stop it, and the other nine schools will tell them to go fuck themselves.

B1G wants Notre Dame. In fact, that's why they started in with Maryland when they became aware of their financial problems. If ND wants to snub the B1G to affiliate with the ACC, then Jim Delany is more than happy to rip apart the ACC. B1G is already talking to Virginia. If they can't convince ND to back out of their ACC deal and join the B1G, then they'll take Georgia Tech.

The SEC would look towards Virginia Tech and NCSU because it expands their reach into two new states.

UNC would be a huge plum for any conference that could get them, but UNC is committed to the ACC because they have the same power there that Texas has enjoyed over the Big 12. And much as they would love to go big-time in football, they aren't willing to give up that power or their basketball program to get it. Nor are they willing to separate from Duke. They're more likely to preside over the formation of a basketball superconference from the rumps of the ACC and heritage-Big East than they are to peel away to some other conference. For the time being whatever is left of the ACC still would enjoy a BCS automatic bid.

Right now FSU is waiting to see what happens with the Maryland buyout. The ACC filed a suit trying to make sure UMd pays the $52 million in full. If that gets reduced significantly in court, FSU bolts to the Big 12 ASAP and takes Clemson with them. DeLoss Dodds might not like it, but the rest of the conference will tell him to blow it out his ass. He's lost a fair amount of power now that it's clear how much damage he's done to the Big 12 in driving off 1/3 of the old members, and will be retiring soon.

One other caveat that might forestall this is that Jimbo Fisher may just take one of the open SEC coaching jobs. That would slow the momentum to destroy the ACC for the time being.

NFO
11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
B1G wants Notre Dame. In fact, that's why they started in with Maryland when they became aware of their financial problems. If ND wants to snub the B1G to affiliate with the ACC, then Jim Delany is more than happy to rip apart the ACC. B1G is already talking to Virginia. If they can't convince ND to back out of their ACC deal and join the B1G, then they'll take Georgia Tech.

That is Delany's end game. To have ND in the B1G. But that only happens if the ACC falls apart, which likely happens if FSU and Clemson bolt. Time will tell I guess.

Homeland Security
11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
That is Delany's end game. To have ND in the B1G. But that only happens if the ACC falls apart, which likely happens if FSU and Clemson bolt. Time will tell I guess.
The question I would have regarding Delany's thinking is, why would you want to add a conference member by hostile takeover? How does it help the conference if its most valuable member is only there because it was forced to be there by the Machiavellian machinations of the conference commissioner? Wouldn't one of the first orders of business for ND be to ruin Jim Delany's life, and since they're ND, will they not in fact have the power to do so?

coyotes_geek
11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I disagree with your assessment. Florida State is the party driving all the instability in the ACC right now. The B1G pushed over the first domino, but FSU is the next one in line. They, and by they I mean Jimbo Fisher, believe their conference affiliation is holding their football program back from competing for national championships. Clemson will go where Florida State goes.

FSU would join the SEC tomorrow if it could, but there's no way that happens. UF, UGA, and USC want no part of FSU or Clemson. Adding those teams adds zero value to the SEC Network, because they overlap with existing SEC markets. The B1G is not interested in FSU or Clemson because they regard AAU membership as part of their DNA. That leaves the Big 12. If the ACC falls apart, the Big 12 makes the next move and takes FSU and Clemson. Texas will try to stop it, and the other nine schools will tell them to go fuck themselves.

The SEC would look towards Virginia Tech and NCSU because it expands their reach into two new states.

UNC would be a huge plum for any conference that could get them, but UNC is committed to the ACC because they have the same power there that Texas has enjoyed over the Big 12. And much as they would love to go big-time in football, they aren't willing to give up that power or their basketball program to get it. Nor are they willing to separate from Duke. They're more likely to preside over the formation of a basketball superconference from the rumps of the ACC and heritage-Big East than they are to peel away to some other conference. For the time being whatever is left of the ACC still would enjoy a BCS automatic bid.

Right now FSU is waiting to see what happens with the Maryland buyout. The ACC filed a suit trying to make sure UMd pays the $52 million in full. If that gets reduced significantly in court, FSU bolts to the Big 12 ASAP and takes Clemson with them. DeLoss Dodds might not like it, but the rest of the conference will tell him to blow it out his ass. He's lost a fair amount of power now that it's clear how much damage he's done to the Big 12 in driving off 1/3 of the old members, and will be retiring soon.

One other caveat that might forestall this is that Jimbo Fisher may just take one of the open SEC coaching jobs. That would slow the momentum to destroy the ACC for the time being.

FSU is definitely making noise, but they're not going to be the ones to pull the plug on the ACC. If the conference is going to implode they'll go to the Big12 and make the best of it, but they're not going to make a move until someone out of the Virginia/NC quartet does. They want the ACC to change more than they want to leave the ACC all together. If that wasn't the case, they'd be in the Big12 already. Joining the Big12 may be their best option if the ACC is going to blow up, but joining the Big12 still has some baggage. Lack of a conference network and getting stuck in a Big12 eastern division that doesn't include any of the Texas or Oklahoma schools being the two biggies.

If FSU can get a commitment from the VA/NC group to stick around and a committment from everyone to give more of a shit about football and to get a conference network off the ground I think FSU would be content to stay in the ACC for the forseeable future.

Homeland Security
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Duh, no shit.... the point in regards to TV would be to increase ratings revenue by adding a prominent program...
Adding what you're calling a 'prominent' program doesn't move the needle on revenue. Additional eyeballs is not where the money comes from. The money comes from getting the conference network on basic cable in sizable media markets and collecting the subscriber fees. And even if additional eyeballs did deliver revenue, there is no evidence that more people in, say, Los Angeles are going to tune in watch Boise State-Washington State than Oregon State-Washington State.

Last I checked, they were around 84th in athletic budget.... Utah and Mississippi State's budgets (two AQ programs) aren't much bigger....
Total athletic spending, 2010:
Boise State: $25,379,019
Utah: $36,944,373
Mississippi State: $43,587,148

Your wishcasting on this forum is not going to get Boise State into a major conference.

Homeland Security
11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
FSU is definitely making noise, but they're not going to be the ones to pull the plug on the ACC.If the ACC collapses, FSU will say that Maryland pulled the plug.

If the conference is going to implode they'll go to the Big12 and make the best of it, but they're not going to make a move until someone out of the Virginia/NC quartet does.If/when FSU bolts, they will say that becoming aware of UVa's negotiations with the B1G forced their hand.

They want the ACC to change more than they want to leave the ACC all together. If that wasn't the case, they'd be in the Big12 already.
If/when FSU bolts, they will say they gave the ACC every opportunity to change and become more competitive, even turning down previous offers to leave.

Joining the Big12 may be their best option if the ACC is going to blow up, but joining the Big12 still has some baggage. Lack of a conference network and getting stuck in a Big12 eastern division that doesn't include any of the Texas or Oklahoma schools being the two biggies.The lack of the network is the bigger problem. The only obstacle I could see to an agreement to ensure FSU plays a game in the state of Texas every year is that DeLoss Dodds is a selfish recalcitrant asshole, but he's retiring soon.

If FSU can get a commitment from the VA/NC group to stick around and a committment from everyone to give more of a shit about football and to get a conference network off the ground I think FSU would be content to stay in the ACC for the forseeable future.Getting the commitment from the NC schools to stay in the ACC is not a problem. Getting the UNC schools to take the concerns of schools like FSU seriously and not run the ACC like their own personal little fiefdom is the problem. Adding UVa in that mix provides FSU an obvious out, since discussions with the B1G are already happening.

coyotes_geek
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
If the ACC collapses, FSU will say that Maryland pulled the plug.

If/when FSU bolts, they will say that becoming aware of UVa's negotiations with the B1G forced their hand.

If/when FSU bolts, they will say they gave the ACC every opportunity to change and become more competitive, even turning down previous offers to leave.

Sure, they'll say all those things if they bolt. What I'm saying though is that they're not going to bolt unless someone from the NC/VA bunch does so first.

The lack of the network is the bigger problem. The only obstacle I could see to an agreement to ensure FSU plays a game in the state of Texas every year is that DeLoss Dodds is a selfish recalcitrant asshole, but he's retiring soon.

The network is definitely the biggie.

Getting the commitment from the NC schools to stay in the ACC is not a problem. Getting the UNC schools to take the concerns of schools like FSU seriously and not run the ACC like their own personal little fiefdom is the problem. Adding UVa in that mix provides FSU an obvious out, since discussions with the B1G are already happening.

Perhaps. But Louisville getting the nod over Uconn certainly suggests to me that the ACC is at least listening to FSU's issues.

Homeland Security
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Sure, they'll say all those things if they bolt. What I'm saying though is that they're not going to bolt unless someone from the NC/VA bunch does so first.
And what I'm saying is that UVa kinda already is.

As is Georgia Tech. GT may be announced as the 15th member next week.

NFO
11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
The question I would have regarding Delany's thinking is, why would you want to add a conference member by hostile takeover?

Can't really answer what Delany is thinking. Maybe just to show ND that he is a more powerful player in college footbal than Notre Dame.

How does it help the conference if its most valuable member is only there because it was forced to be there by the Machiavellian machinations of the conference commissioner?

It would help becasue it would bring more $$$ for the network. IF Notre Dame were to join any conference that conference's network would be able to reach more significantly more providers than it would have if ND never joined.

Wouldn't one of the first orders of business for ND be to ruin Jim Delany's life, and since they're ND, will they not in fact have the power to do so?

Not sure ND would have any more say than Ohio State and Michigan IF it were in the B1G. How would ND even go about ruining Delany's life anyway? Not let him on campus, put a hit on him? That is purely hypothetical but would be interesting to watch IF ND ever joined the B1G, by force or free will, probably by force.

Homeland Security
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Georgia Tech may be announced as the 15th member of the B1G next week.

NFO
12-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Exactly how much more

Published reports have said Maryland stands to make $100 million more in its first five years in the Big Ten than it would have made in a new TV agreement between the ACC and ESPN.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445262

MannyIsGod
12-13-2012, 11:43 AM
LOL Welcome back home, SDSU and BSU. Thanks for the exit fees!

coyotes_geek
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Frustrated the Big East has irreparably damaged its basketball brand with recent additions geared toward saving its football future, the presidents of the league's seven non-high level football schools met Wednesday to discuss their options.

An ESPN.com report late Wednesday night indicated a decision could come in the next 24 to 48 hours and it would be "an upset" if the seven schools chose to remain in the league.

DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova have essentially three options.

They can remain in the Big East despite the likelihood that a new TV deal will not meet their expectations and the chance that new additions like Tulane, Houston and SMU drag down the league's basketball standing. They can leave the league and forfeit millions of dollars in NCAA tournament win shares and exit fees paid by previous departees. Or they can dissolve the league altogether if they have the two-thirds majority necessary to make such a decision.

According to the ESPN.com report, dissolving the league is a real possibility because new member Temple is not allowed to vote on the dissolution of the conference until after July 1. As a result, the seven would have the two-thirds majority they need even if existing Big East members Cincinnati, UConn and South Florida voted against them.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/seven-schools-reportedly-leaning-toward-leaving-big-east-085855633--ncaab.html)

Blake
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Published reports have said Maryland stands to make $100 million more in its first five years in the Big Ten than it would have made in a new TV agreement between the ACC and ESPN.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445262

lol chip brown

It's all speculation. Published reports also say that the networks might play hardball when the current B10 deal expires since nobody in New York really gives a shit about Rutgers it Maryland.

I do agree with the sentiments that the Big12 needs to get off their asses and add Florida St and Georgia Tech before some other conference does

NFO
12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
lol chip brown

The link is to Chip, but the published report come from Pete Thamel of SI, who references that the projected revenue information was presented to the school by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Nice try though.

It's all speculation.

Yeah, I am sure Maryland thinks the information from the commissioner recruiting them to join is purely speculation with no data to back anything up.

I do agree with the sentiments that the Big12 needs to get off their asses and add Florida St and Georgia Tech before some other conference does

Agree there.

FkLA
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Damn so what happens to SMU, Houston, ECU and UCF...do they come back to CUSA? If so do any of the new members get kicked to the curve ?

Blake
12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
The link is to Chip, but the published report come from Pete Thamel of SI, who references that the projected revenue information was presented to the school by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Nice try though.

Still lol chip brown.

Speculation. projection. whatever.

I think the main networks will pay what the BIG10 asks, but we'll see about the Big10 network expanding into NY. The LHN and Pac networks have been underwhelming so far.

coyotes_geek
12-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Damn so what happens to SMU, Houston, ECU and UCF...do they come back to CUSA? If so do any of the new members get kicked to the curve ?

Looks like the Catholic schools are just going to leave the conference instead of trying to disband it. So if that's what they do, there's still a Big East conference for those schools to play football in. That conference is just going to lose a huge chunk of the revenue they were earning from basketball.

NFO
12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
we'll see about the Big10 network expanding into NY.

No doubt it will be there, just a matter of if the B1G can get it on exapnded cable or having to settle for a particular tier and make less money.

The LHN and Pac networks have been underwhelming so far.

Well the LHN is pretty specific so I can see why that one is extremely underwhelming. Haven't seen the PAC 12 network so I don't really have any thoughts on that specifically, but the West Coast sports fan is a diffeent breed than other types of fan bases around the country, and not as rabid as well, so if the network doesn't have the viewers the producation quality probably is not the best.
I am sure the B1G will try to maximize the $$ as best possible.

coyotes_geek
12-18-2012, 09:48 AM
FWIW... (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21415170/source-notre-dame-acc-safe-from-another-big-ten-raid-for-now)

Swarbrick was the second source in two days to say that the ACC will eventually be making more money per school than the Big 12. That would seemingly put to rest speculation that Florida State is trying to get out. Both of those conferences are behind the Big Ten, largely considered to be No. 1 in conference revenue at the moment.

One source said the ACC is in the process of monetizing its soon-to-be lucrative digital network located in Charlotte, N.C. Industry sources are split on whether the ACC can do a full-on network similar to the Big Ten that would be able to throw off profit in a relatively short period of time.

“The point is, the ACC is not hurting,” the source said. “They [FSU] would have to take a pay cut if they went somewhere else.”

Blake
12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
From Dodd:

”..... One industry source estimated Big 12 schools will be cashing checks for $30 million-plus in the first year of the playoff beginning in 2014. The total now stands at approximately $20 million per school. Beginning in 2014, the Big 12 will begin taking in $40 million per year from the alignment with the Sugar Bowl (previously Champions Bowl).

There's your opportunity -- as Bowlsby put it -- that moves the needle. Expansion in the form of a bowl game split between the Big 12 and SEC.

A conference championship game doesn't make much financial sense. One media consultant says such a game would be worth only $700,000-$1 million a year per school. Not an insignificant amount, but worth having to split with two more mouths to feed?

Think of it in Powerball terms. It's easier to make more money if you and nine friends combined to buy tickets for Wednesday's drawing instead of 12.

“I would be laughing,” said a source who has worked closely with the Big 12. “They're in great shape. If the TV deal was lousy, if in two or three years their network deal was coming up [then I could see it]. But right now, the Big 12 has hit the lottery. They've got it perfect. Those guys have it on Easy Street.”

Further reasons the Big 12 is in good shape:

......”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21177715/why-the-big-12-is-happy-with-10-amid-the-latest-round-of-realignment

Blake
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
I think the Big 12 is trying to hold out as long as possible before inviting Florida St, etc. They know the Big 10 doesn't want them and apparently they add no extra bargaining power for the SEC since they already have Florida.

I think there will be a day where they will be forced to get back to at least 12 or be left out, but that day seems a lot farther away than I originally thought.

And Notre Dame being in the national championship today only strengthens their ability to stay independent for at least 10 maybe 20+ plus years from now.........which indirectly also helps allow the Big 12 to stay put.

coyotes_geek
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd say it's more a case of the Big12 waiting for FSU to ask for an invite than it is FSU waiting for the Big12 to invite them, but that's just semantics. Either way, I agree things have settled down for the time being. The Big12, Big10 and SEC are only going to be interested in ACC schools as expansion targets and the Pac is only going to be interested in Big12 schools. So long as the ACC schools remain committed to the conference things should stay relatively calm until the Big12 GOR comes up and Texas re-assesses their individual situation.

NFO
12-18-2012, 12:07 PM
And Notre Dame being in the national championship today only strengthens their ability to stay independent for at least 10 maybe 20+ plus years from now.........which indirectly also helps allow the Big 12 to stay put.

I think the Big 12 would make a move before Notre Dame ever would.

I would like to see the Big 12 get back to 12 eventually and have a championship game since the other conferences will be having one. I don't really like the CCG, but if each conference has one it is at least a little bit more fair. But fair and the NCAA don't really belong in the same sentence.

Blake
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Notre Dame is definitely in the better spot to do nothing than the big 12, but the big 12 apparently has more leverage to do nothing than I thought.

As a fan, I'd love to add Florida State, but it looks like that won't happen for a very long time....if ever.

...and at the same time, I'm glad they aren't desperate to add schools like SMU or Houston......or Rutgers..

ChumpDumper
12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
True, the Big XII-IV+II has got a really good network deal without even having to start a conference network. Championship games are just an asspain for teams when you get right down to it.

I'm feeling a nice amount of schadenfreude for the teams that jumped to the Big East. Football AQ is gone and most of the schools are going to be screwed with travel costs and conference matchups no one could possibly care about.

spurs1990
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/blog/_/name/mcgee_ncf_ryan/id/8759003/which-schools-target-future-conference-realignment-moves-college-football

Insider article on ESPN states that Houston is #2 on free agents, per UH Scout message board. The quote is as follows:

"When they win, the city really gets behind them," said an SEC administrator, directly referencing Houston's Southwest Conference membership from 1971 through its disbanding in '95. "They've always been caught in between the Texas and Texas A&M crowds, but if they were ever to get back to a top-level conference, where they really have a shot at competing for big championships, the potential there is through the roof."

Obviously SEC is wishful thinking but I would like to see PAC make a footprint in Texas.

Blake
12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Houston being #2 on some type of college free agent list is wishful thinking

FkLA
12-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Boise St staying in MWC is official tbh.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8796807/boise-state-broncos-staying-mountain-west-conference-all

spurs1990
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Assuming the ACC is the conference to get the boot, maybe Boise can position itself to get a Pac 10 invite to get them to 16. Boise and BYU would be the best 2 names.

Then Big 10 picks up UVa and Duke. SEC gets UNC and VaTech.

Big 12 gets 6 teams - most likely FSU, Ga Tech, Clemson, NC State, Miami, Lousiville, and maybe Notre Dame.

There you have 4 conferences, 64 teams.

Twisted_Dawg
12-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Assuming the ACC is the conference to get the boot, maybe Boise can position itself to get a Pac 10 invite to get them to 16. Boise and BYU would be the best 2 names.

Then Big 10 picks up UVa and Duke. SEC gets UNC and VaTech.

Big 12 gets 6 teams - most likely FSU, Ga Tech, Clemson, NC State, Miami, Lousiville, and maybe Notre Dame.

There you have 4 conferences, 64 teams.

I think the PAC 10 by laws prevent a religious school from joining, plus Boise States academics would never pass muster with the PAC 10 schools presidents.

Pelicans78
12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
True, the Big XII-IV+II has got a really good network deal without even having to start a conference network. Championship games are just an asspain for teams when you get right down to it.

I'm feeling a nice amount of schadenfreude for the teams that jumped to the Big East. Football AQ is gone and most of the schools are going to be screwed with travel costs and conference matchups no one could possibly care about.

Not really. Most of the teams left are in the same region outside of San Diego State.

ChumpDumper
12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Not really. Most of the teams left are in the same region outside of San Diego State.With Boise out, yes -- though now it's basically Conference USA all over again.

coyotes_geek
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Turns out the Big East's new significant other, San Diego State, wasn't real either. Manti and I are shocked.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/san-diego-state-jilts-big-224822576--ncaaf.html

MannyIsGod
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
MWC is looking good. There is talk about BYU coming back as well and possibly adding some other teams. I don't care unless they bring good basketball programs. The MWC has gotten extremely god basketball wise and I would like to see that continue.

coyotes_geek
01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
I agree. I think you could make a pretty good case that the MWC would be a better conference than the big east in both football and basketball.

spurs1990
01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Well UH and SMU were both courted by the MWC and decided the NBE was preferable. I believe they'll get more exposure in a East coast based league.