PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Pop Hater

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
I admit it, I was wrong.

Never has crow tasted better than it did last Thursday as we celebrated title #3.

For the past several years I have been leading the chorus of criticism directed at one Gregg Popovich. Offensively as creative as a brick. Weak substitution patterns. Over-reliance on Tim Duncan when he’s got other guys who can score too. Choking back the reigns too much on Manu Ginobili. Too much 4down. Can’t adjust in a series.

I could go on. But I won’t. This post-season showed there is a method to Pop’s madness, and he’s made me a believer.

Offensively creative as a brick? The consistent trend for this entire playoff run consisted of putting the ball in the hands of Ginobili in fourth quarters (something I've long begged for), and all Manu did was go out and score 11 points in the fourth, including six points in the last minute to close it out.

And we won’t even get into the Spurs offensive makeovers in each of their other three playoff series, the last of which (Phoenix) prompted Pop to wax ecstatic that the Spurs were the league’s best “chameleons.” You wanna run? We’ll run. You want to go toe to toe in the half court? Let’s get it on. Anything you can do we can do better. That's what I'm talking about!

Weak substitution patterns? One of the significant adjustments of the Finals was made when Pop shortened his bench, kept Beno there, and let Manu Ginobili moonlight as the Spurs backup point guard.

Over-reliance on Tim Duncan? Bowen, Horry, and Ginobili all took turns hammering home nails in the Detroit coffin as game 7 wound down. Ginobili averaged over 20 a game in the playoffs, and often had the ball in his hands at crunch time.

Choking the reigns on Ginobili? In prior years Pop would have probably sat Manu for some of the turnovers he produced in this series, but Pop has come to take the good and the bad from Ginobili, realizing the good far outweighs the bad. And as Ginobili has grown, so has this team, and here’s the fun part – this team is just picking up steam.

Too much 4down? The Spurs have gone to a more motion based offense, capitalizing on their quickness on the perimeter to slash and burn teams to the ground. Gone are the days of Tim Duncan being the first, second, and third options on offense, and that makes this Spurs team stronger. And with Scola probably coming in and rumors that Oberto might find his way here, the flex offense looks like it's fixing to be a staple of this team for many years to come.

(but while I'm talking about it, can we pleeeeeeease see some Horry-Ginobili pick and roll action next year?)

Can’t adjust in a series? How’s this for adjustments: not only does he slide Bruce Bowen over to Mr. Clutch Chauncey Billups for the final crucial minutes of game 7, he also hit Detroit over the head with a 2-3 zone that stifled and altogether confused the Pistons at a critical point in the game.

Need proof? After the Spurs went to the zone Detroit coughed up 5 turnovers, had 2 shot clock violations, and had its last gasp Billups three pointer stuffed by defensive stopper Bruce Bowen. Checkmate.

But the fact of the matter is Pop is the league’s best. He joins an elite fraternity of 4 other coaches to ever have three or more NBA titles in their career, and he sits today in great shape to move up the pecking order and tie Pat Riley for #4 next year.

Now there's still gonna be times when his substitutions make us all say "huh?", and there's still going to be times when our offense gets more stale than three week old bread, but I'm just going to have to roll with the punches on that (but reserve the right to point it out, in the interest of good hoops dialog here on the site :lol ).

So I have to say it: Gregg P_p_vich (for Shelly) is the best coach in this league. And the crow’s not bad either.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Who stole AHF's log in?

timvp
06-27-2005, 10:43 PM
is the best coach in this league.

Until the Spurs lose their first regular season game next year.

:)

P.S.

Like I've said, 4-Down wins championships. It did it again.

SequSpur
06-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I still don't like Pop.

During the finals, there was a game stoppage every 3-4 minutes. Timouts were extended. In between quarters were extended, halftime was doubled and he would still rest Tim with 2 minutes left in a quarter and the Spurs would lose leads.

A couple of those games were momentum changing decisions.

But hey thanks to Tim, Manu and the rest of the team, he won another.

He is lucky.

that he has Duncan.

AgSpursFan
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
well said AHF.

MannyIsGod
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
In other news, Pigs seen flying out of peoples asses and an ice age grips hell.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
hard to believe that came out out pop's enemy number 1

Hey, I still reserve the right to criticize :lol

But I said if the Spurs won it all I'd give him his do. Some of us like to keep our word around here.

T Park
06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Like I've said, 4-Down wins championships. It did it again.

i think probobly 95% of the plays in the 4th quarter in game 7 were 4 down.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I still don't like that the success of our offense in the playoffs is predicated on timely three point shooting, it's fool's gold if you ask me.

I see us using more flex and going to more two up or whatever you want to call the isos for Manu, and for that trend to continue with the foreign influx coming this summer.

He seems to be learning, letting Manu have the ball more when it matters, and that's good enough for now.

maxpower
06-28-2005, 12:08 AM
And it only took you three NBA titles to come around.

ZStomp
06-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Yes!! It's about time AHF! :lol

ZStomp
06-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Some of us like to keep our word around here.

Hmmmmm...who are we talking about?? :lol

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Spurs rule!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-28-2005, 12:31 AM
LOL!!!!!
I've heard you say some harsh stuff about Pop, especially on chats....This is hilarious....

You've become a Popper now? hahahaha

SpursFanDan
06-28-2005, 12:39 AM
I love Pop, hes a great coach, and hes a good person... even though he doesnt ooze of happiness.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-28-2005, 12:41 AM
i like pop because even in blowout wins, he still gets pissed off when someone does something incredibly stupid

i bet pop beats up the smaller guards when they fuck up

2centsworth
06-28-2005, 01:23 AM
I still don't like that the success of our offense in the playoffs is predicated on timely three point shooting, it's fool's gold if you ask me.

I see us using more flex and going to more two up or whatever you want to call the isos for Manu, and for that trend to continue with the foreign influx coming this summer.

He seems to be learning, letting Manu have the ball more when it matters, and that's good enough for now.
well thank goodness Pop has changed in all the areas you thought needed changing, just in time for a third championship.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Just saying you don't know shit and Pop is great would have been enough, damn aggie. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismokin.gif

DesiSpur_21
06-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Pop has grown much more than what a coach was supposed to over the years - Well..having the best player of the league in your team helps - but Pop did what he is supposed to and did it well.

blaze89
06-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Even Pop admitted that all they (Pop and staff) was not screw it up. He knows he is fortunate that he has good player, he hasn't written any books, done any commericials or beated his chest that his system and coaching won championship. The players enjoying playing for him (instead of winning in spite of him - remember that chant?) and both Pop and the team has adjusted to each other.

1Parker1
06-28-2005, 07:47 AM
i think probobly 95% of the plays in the 4th quarter in game 7 were 4 down.

:lol That is exactly what I was thinking T-Park. AHF--if you read any of Pop's quotes prior to Game 7, he mentioned quite a few times that we need to get the ball the Tim Duncan more--that he wants Duncan to get at least 25 shot attempts.

In the 4th quarter of Game 7, we went to 4-Down quite a bit--which is what LED to Manu and Bowen's baskets in the first place. 4-Down isn't just about dumping the ball to Duncan and letting him do his thing. Pop uses that for a reason in 4th quarters---it causes defenses to collapse on Duncan and usually Duncan is smart enough to make a great pass to an open team-mate--hence the WIDE OPEN 3 pt shot attempts by Bowen and Manu.

Also, did you ever think that maybe not using 4-Down enough was the reason we had to go to a Game 7 in the first place? If Spurs had done what they did in the 4th quarter of Game 7 earlier--dump the ball in to TD, let him either shoot if there is an opening or pass if he sees himself being double/tripple teamed, maybe we wouldn't have had to have a Game 7 in the first place.

smackdaddy11
06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
It's a charade. All it will take is one loss in the regular seson next year and the wheels will fly off his cart. We will hear his expert advice on what needed to be done for victory.

AHF does deserve some respect for owing up, but I'm still digging the fox hole when the Spurs drop a few games next year. The board will blow up with the PoDamnits and he will be back to square one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 08:07 AM
id you ever think that maybe not using 4-Down enough was the reason we had to go to a Game 7 in the first place?

The Spurs ran 4down into the teeth of the Detroit defense in games 3,4, and 6.

The only thing different about game 7 was that we had three guys hitting from outside the arc.

Like I said, it's a bit of fool's gold if you ask me, having to rely on the three ball to win (effectively putting the ball in the hands of everyone BUT Tim Duncan when it matters most).

Same thing for game 5. IF we don't have Robert Horry drop 5 threes in the last 18 minutes of regulation and OT, we lose that one and come back to SA down 3-2.

SWC Bonfire
06-28-2005, 08:18 AM
But the fact of the matter is Pop is the league’s best. He joins an elite fraternity of 4 other coaches to ever have three or more NBA titles in their career, and he sits today in great shape to move up the pecking order and tie Pat Riley for #4 next year.

:tu

Pop has really allowed his assistants to help him grow as a coach in the last few years. The loss of DRob probably facilitated this. He now is the envy of a lot of fans who wish they had him on their team, I can tell you that.

mookie2001
06-28-2005, 08:22 AM
pop did fuck up by playing barry so much, when all he was doing was passing, contributing nothing in the finals when you have big dog and devin on the bench, you have to at least see if the other guys can do something

spurster
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Fire Pop!

Was this the right thread for this?

MadDog73
06-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Pop, like most humans, is not perfect. Like Tim, he will be blamed for the loss when he has a bad game.

That said, Pop just proved himself better than Larry Brown, moving him up in the pecking order of current coaches:

1. Phil Jackson (can't wait until we beat his ass this year. Anyone else hoping the Lakers make the playoffs in 2006 so we can sweep Phil and Kobe!?!)

2. Popovich. If he beats Phil again this year, I think Pop should move up. Of course, Phil does have 9 rings....

3. Larry Brown. I think Brown stays in Detroit and the Pistons and Spurs meet again in the Finals.

bigzak25
06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
the only thing i ever 2nd guessed pop this year about was not giving barry more time at backup pg, but i guess he needed to know what he had with beno. all's well that ends well. :smokin

Props to AHF for giving Pop a manhug and saying he was wrong about our Coach.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Nice thread, AHF. Props to you for not double tparking. Way to delve into that crow.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
pop did fuck up by playing barry so much, when all he was doing was passing, contributing nothing in the finals when you have big dog and devin on the bench, you have to at least see if the other guys can do something

Barry was a solid backup in game 7, holding his own while Manu and Bowen rested. I watched it again yesterday (man this is going to be a long summer). He hit two of three (both big shots), had a huge block to keep the momementum in the fourth, and had a couple of sweet assists. As far as Pop not playing him as much, wtf was he supposed to do? NOT rest Manu and Bowen the entire game? No, Barry made Pop's short list in terms of rotations, and it paid off in game 7.

Jimcs50
06-28-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.brazilexplore.com/shop/product/havaianas/nbrasil_preto.jpg