PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a BMW? Thinking about getting a used 335i

Amarelooms
11-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Heard they are money pits for repairs....car I'm thinking about is 2007 and warranty run out. Anyone here have any experiences?

:elephant

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
You pretty much nailed it. That is why you will find a ton of used BMW's that all have around 50K miles on them. That's when the warranty expires, that's when people dump them. Unless you have the money to not worry about costly repairs, I would avoid buying a used BMW. Instead look into leasing a new one if that is economical.

Source: da streets

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Excellent cars and worth the coin. If you do your homework and buy a car that has been properly serviced-they are a good bet and better than most cars.

Probably wiser to buy a CPO still under warranty and still under the free maintenance program and then haggle for the upgraded 100k warranty.

Only reason I didn't buy another Bimmer is that I can't stand the styling when Chris Bangle took over and fucked it all up.

A lot of Bmw faithful left BMW when the new Bangle "flame-surfacing" became the new BMW styling direction.

coyotes_geek
11-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Heard they are money pits for repairs....car I'm thinking about is 2007 and warranty run out. Anyone here have any experiences?

:elephant

Great cars that are absolutely incredible to drive, and at least in my my personal experience, very reliable. That being said, yes, any service or repair will be expensive as hell.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I definitely want to look into an M3. Incredible to drive.

silverblk mystix
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I definitely want to look into an M3. Incredible to drive.

I would opt for the 1 Series M car due to the size. Today's 3 series is the same size or bigger than the 5 series was a few years ago. I think bigger and heavier is not as fun as an overbuilt smaller & lighter car. This is if you are looking for a premium sports car.

If you are looking for an executive express missile-then go for the bigger and heavier 5 or even 7 series IMO.

DPG21920
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm not rich, dayum :lol

Amarelooms
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9489/bmwyc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/bmwyc.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

pass1st
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
They are fun to drive, pretty reliable if you take good care of them and the most masculine of the German big 3. If you want a pussy magnet, a fun car to drive and don't drive a whole lot then you will love it.

Only two things to consider is how much you drive and if you have the cash to have it. You're looking at higher insurance, more spent on gas, expensive replacement parts, etc. If you're comfortable financially, go for it. If not, you can get a new 2 door Accord, V6, for a little more now and a lot less down the road.

RGMCSE
11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I've owned 2 used out of warranty beamers. It was a dream of owning one when I was a kid. There was just something about them that would make me stop and stare at one even today. My first BMW was a 1998 328IC in mint condition interior and exterior. It had 69000 original miles. I bought this car in 2010 for $6000.00 To me it was a steal! I did some research and found out that the car was owned by a local female physician and the car was regularly maintained and garaged kept. I ended up spending about $1700.00 to get maintenance up to date as it was sitting in car lots for about 8 mos. This covered a few parts for coolant and air maintenance. After this the car simply hauled ass and just picked up speed with incredible power and hugged the damn ground so nice. It was awesome!! I got so many damn compliments on this car and it was my weekend cruise car. One day I actually drove it to work and I was going to meet a friend for lunch on 281 and 1604 when i was stuck in traffic on the access road. Welp a lady wasn't paying attention and rear ended me at a good rate of speed. It was totaled.

I was so sad to see my little joy ride lost forever that I went and did the worst thing possible. I impulsively bought a 2001 325IC. I didn't end up doing my research and I didn't have it checked out by my trusted beamer mechanic. Needles to say that I ended up pumping about $3000.00 into it and it still needed about another $2500.00 worth of maintenace/repair. Plus it wasn't as nice on the interior or exterior. But I learned my lesson and got my money back when I got an incredible deal at North Park Lexus and traded it in for a beautiful ES350 with low miles and sweet rims with all the works. I never thought I would be a lexus owner. But so far it's the best car I've ever owned.

My advice to anyone who is going to buy a used out of warranty BMW is first, be patient. If there isnt a decent deal out there wait a few weeks or months. Eventually you'll have your choice. Check the history of the car. I like to know who the previous owner was. It can give you peace of mind. My lexus was previously owned by a Dr. as well and you can tell it was taken care of. Make sure the car didn't change many owners this includes car lots. Spend a little money up front to have it checked out by a legit BMW mechanic. They will give you a report on what maintenance it will need it the near future or big picture. That is probably the most important thing to have done with these cars. Because it is so easy to fall in love with a BMW that looks cherry/Mint than to find out you need to spend 2-3 grand on a part plus labor and not even including needed maintenance. Also join a few beamer forums. You can lear a lot of very important things about your BMW that you can take care of your self. Like replacing a wiper motor for $20.00 instead of $200.00. You can buy these original parts on ebay for cheap instead of spending several hundred dollars new. Or like which battery to get for your series of Beamer. By the way be prepared to spend close to $200 for one. Plus many more tips and facts about your car and maintenance. The beamer forums will teach you a lot about which cars are problematic or not.

My Beamer mechanic is very reputable and does great work. They will not cheat you. They will tell you what needs to be done asap and what can wait if money is tight. Plus they give you a list of things that will need to be done. Hopefully the list isn't to big. They do things by the book so if your car is missing even a small insignificant piece cosmetically there going to list it. This is because a beamer should be maintenance like new and up to standard.

http://www.ecccars.com/

RGMCSE
11-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Oops forget about my mechanic as your probably not local. But I'm sure you can find a good one where your located.

Amarelooms
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Oops forget about my mechanic as your probably not local. But I'm sure you can find a good one where your located.

Yes Im in Dallas - fort worth. thanks for the input

Creepn
11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks RGMSC for the info. I'm currently shopping around for a Beamer to buy this weekend as well. A lot of people been telling me that it's the worst investment in cars you can do and to stay away.

RGMCSE
11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes Im in Dallas - fort worth. thanks for the input

No problem and good luck!

RGMCSE
11-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks RGMSC for the info. I'm currently shopping around for a Beamer to buy this weekend as well. A lot of people been telling me that it's the worst investment in cars you can do and to stay away.

Again no problem! I learned some good lessons the hard way. But it wasn't all bad. Like I said before, do your research. It can be the difference between a good investment and a bad one. I had the good and the bad my self. If your going to buy a newer model that is just out of warranty it might cut down the chances of making a bad purchase. However I would still get it inspected. From there it may just be a matter of keeping up the maintenance If your looking for a bargain, then you better educate your self on what maintenance may cost per year. plus a good initial inspection. Also have the actual funds to not pussyfoot around with getting certain things fixed.

I knew personally that I would end up spending some cash initially to get the car up to speed and the annual cost of ownership. In other words I knew what I was getting into. When you do it the right way, you can have a sweet ride. There very fun cars to drive. Some models vary on what it may cost per year. for example I was going to buy a 2007 Range Rover until I found out through a Rover forum that annual maintenance was around 5-8k a year. Uh, no thanks!

Good luck I hope you guys find a good one.

GoodOdor
11-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Are there any good deals on leasing one?

I figure driving a sweet car is one of the things I wanna do before I have to settle down. My only problem is that
I drive about an hour each way to work and back home, and I know there's a limit when you lease.....

RGMCSE
11-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Are there any good deals on leasing one?

I figure driving a sweet car is one of the things I wanna do before I have to settle down. My only problem is that
I drive about an hour each way to work and back home, and I know there's a limit when you lease.....

Your probably driving about 30,000 miles a year. I think most leases are going to have a limit of 12 to 15k a year.

GoodOdor
11-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Your probably driving about 30,000 miles a year. I think most leases are going to have a limit of 12 to 15k a year.

Yeah, might have to wait till I move closer or get a new job.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2012, 12:30 AM
if u going tobuy one, dont fall for the owner is female bullshit

look for one that is own by some very old clown who hasnt driven the shit out of it, and properly maintain

Sportcamper
11-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Anyone looking for a BMW 3 series should consider the LA market. We have so many wanna-bees out here. BMW 3 series are perhaps the number one leased car in the LA market. There are thousands for sale and leases that come up every three years.

I don’t mean to hack your choice of cars. BMW’s are cool. It’s just that in LA the Big Dogs drive 5’s and 7’s. I say save yourself some grief and buy a new Honda Accord. :tu