PDA

View Full Version : Is there a TV box like Roku that...

vander
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
does amazon instant AND can pull media from local network folders?

I use Windows Media Center and Amazon instant video for all my TV viewing needs, but there doesn't seem to be a device that handles both these things well:

Roku: no file playing, needs a server, I've tried Plex and others, don't like having to use a server
WD TV: no Amazon app
HTPC: no Amazon desktop app, navigating the web interface with a remote is unpossibles

what do? :huh

leemajors
11-13-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Lists ~10 Roku devices that do Amazon Video.

I dont think there are many that play nice with Windows Media Center, and Plex is supposedly easy to use. 360 would seem to be your best bet.

vander
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
guess I'll have to get an XBOX. but now, do I buy one for 185, or wait and see if it'll get even cheaper on black friday.

oh wait, amazon video requires xbox live gold? F that

ElNono
11-15-2012, 02:27 AM
If you're looking to upgrade your TV, the SmartTV models from Samsung let you install the Amazon Instant Video widgets and they're all DNLA-compliant, so you should be able to stream from WMC...

Samsung also sell SmartTV Bluray players that would do the same, but apparently the Amazon Instant Video app is not available for those...

ElNono
11-15-2012, 02:32 AM
Actually, here's a list of compatible devices:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

You could look for a cheap ass Bluray player that's supported and that includes DLNA connectivity...

For example, Amazon has this Sony Bluray on sale for $99 that's supposed to be compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1YVZ8/ref=atv_compat_devices

vander
11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Working with windows media center is far more important, I was planning on getting the way-overpriced ceton echo. Buy it doesn't have wifi. so that pretty much just leaves the Xbox or an htpc for getting my media center and tuners over to the TV.

Xbox would be cheaper, plus I can try that halo 4. guess I'll just have to live without amazon video until Micro$oft puts it on the free side of live.

Creepn
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Working with windows media center is far more important, I was planning on getting the way-overpriced ceton echo. Buy it doesn't have wifi. so that pretty much just leaves the Xbox or an htpc for getting my media center and tuners over to the TV.

Xbox would be cheaper, plus I can try that halo 4. guess I'll just have to live without amazon video until Micro$oft puts it on the free side of live.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to become free on the 360. You can't even watch YouTube without Gold. Plus you would need the xbox wireless adapter or some alternative if you're going wireless.

The simple thing to do would be to subscribe to a more widely accepted company brand?

leemajors
11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to become free on the 360. You can't even watch YouTube without Gold. Plus you would need the xbox wireless adapter or some alternative if you're going wireless.

The simple thing to do would be to subscribe to a more widely accepted company brand?

could save a lot of time/money just using plex or xbmc imo.

TeyshaBlue
11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
If you're looking to upgrade your TV, the SmartTV models from Samsung let you install the Amazon Instant Video widgets and they're all DNLA-compliant, so you should be able to stream from WMC...

Samsung also sell SmartTV Bluray players that would do the same, but apparently the Amazon Instant Video app is not available for those...

I have a Sony Blu-Ray that accesses everything plus the files on my laptop or whatever device I decide to use to push them. It's pretty awesome.

Nathan Explosion
11-15-2012, 02:06 PM

New 360's come with wifi built in they're going on sale on Black Friday 250 gb for $199 at Walmart I think.

Creepn
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
New 360's come with wifi built in they're going on sale on Black Friday 250 gb for $199 at Walmart I think.

Oh no shit? Nice. Took long enough though.

vander
11-15-2012, 02:46 PM

MS is plenty widely accepted, its just that they kinda quit on media center, which is too bad because it's one of the few good things they've made since windows 95.

It's still in window 8, so it'll be around for a while. For free OTA TV and free sharable DVR, what's better than Media Center?

nothing

And yeah, xboxes with WiFi are pretty cheap now, gonna try and get one on black Friday for 150

Creepn
11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
MS is plenty widely accepted, its just that they kinda quit on media center, which is too bad because it's one of the few good things they've made since windows 95.

It's still in window 8, so it'll be around for a while. For free OTA TV and free sharable DVR, what's better than Media Center?

nothing

And yeah, xboxes with WiFi are pretty cheap now, gonna try and get one on black Friday for 150

I was referring to your subscription with Amazon Instant. Is that new? Haven't heard of it till you brought it up. BluRay players can access your PC and that's the most important to you, so maybe just subscribe to one of their available apps that's similar to Amazon Instant.

ElNono
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a Sony Blu-Ray that accesses everything plus the files on my laptop or whatever device I decide to use to push them. It's pretty awesome.

My Sammy Smart TV is the same... even plays MKVs pretty much without a hitch

Nathan Explosion
11-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Best Buy is supposed to have an LG Blu Ray player with wifi for $39 I think. Could look into that one to see if it does Amazon video. Really can't beat that if it does.

Edit: Walmart has the LG. Best Buy is a Toshiba.